These sisterhood quotes will help you show your sister how much she means to you and how important she is.
“Sisterhood” is an incredibly powerful word in a time when women are redefining their own roles in society, solidifying their identities, and in particular, coming into new understandings of their relationships with one another.
How do you experience sisterhood?
Whether you have a sister, you are a sister, you are a woman, or you simply are close with a woman, you can benefit from the power of sisterhood.
Sisterhood is such a broad concept, it can simply refer to how women relate to one another or to people they care about.
Sisterhood is the underlying force behind feminism and even unites women who don’t know one another. It’s about a nurturing type of love and empathy for each person’s life experience.
Below is our collection of inspirational, empowering, and heart-warming sisterhood quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also, check out these sister quotes celebrating unconditional love.
Quotes About Sisterhood and Connection
1.) “A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life.” – Isadora James
2.) “Women are going to form a chain, a greater sisterhood than the world has ever known.” – Nellie McClung
3.) “I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness.” – Emily Dickinson
4.) “A sister is both your mirror and your opposite.” – Elizabeth Fishel
5.) “You are blood. You are sisters. No man can break that bond.” – Kim Boykin
6.) “One woman is a tiny divine spark in a timeless sisterhood tapestry collective; all of us are Wild Women.” – Jan Porter
7.) “You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you.” – George R.R. Martin
8.) “No matter where we come from, there is one language we can all speak and understand from birth, the language of the heart, love.” – Imania Margria
9.) “Sisters, as you know, also have a unique relationship. This is the person who has known you your entire life, who should love you and stand by you no matter what, and yet it’s your sister who knows exactly where to drive the knife to hurt you the most.” – Lisa See
10.) “We hang out, we help one another, we tell one another our worst fears and biggest secrets, and then just like real sisters, we listen and don’t judge.” – Adriana Trigiani
11.) “No matter where we are, we’ll always share the same sky. We can always find each other in the same constellation.” – Roshani Chokshi
12.) “There is space within sisterhood for likeness and difference, for the subtle differences that challenge and delight; there is space for disappointment-and surprise.” – Christine Downing
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of funny sister quotes celebrating unconditional love.
Sisterhood Quotes About Friendship
13.) “Never hold resentments for the person who tells you what you need to hear; count them among your truest, most caring, and valuable friends.” – Mike Norton
14.) “We’re connected, as women. It’s like a spiderweb. If one part of that web vibrates, if there’s trouble, we all know it, but most of the time we’re just too scared, or selfish, or insecure to help. But if we don’t help each other, who will?” – Sarah Addison Allen
15.) “For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather.” – Christina Rossetti
16.) “There can be no situation in life in which the conversation of my dear sister will not administer some comfort to me.” – Mary Wortley Montagu
17.) “Participating in a sisterhood with other women is hugely important in my life and a source of joy.” – Christy Turlington
18.) “Hallie and I… were all there was. The image in the mirror that proves you are still here. We had exactly one sister apiece. We grew up knowing the simple arithmetic of scarcity: A sister is more precious than an eye.” – Barbara Kingsolver
19.) “You can kid the world, but not your sister.” – Charlotte Gray
20.) “You keep your past by having sisters. As you get older, they’re the only ones who don’t get bored if you talk about your memories.” – Deborah Moggach
21.) “Storm Sister–a friend who sticks close when storms hit her friend’s life.” – Afton Rorvik
21.) “Is solace anywhere more comforting than that in the arms of a sister?” – Alice Walker
22.) “Sisterhood means if you happen to be in Burma and I happen to be in San Diego and I’m married to someone who is very jealous and you’re married to somebody who is very possessive, if you call me in the middle of the night, I have to come.” – Maya Angelou
23.) “Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship.” – Margaret Mead
24.) “I think women are amazing and women’s friendships are like a sisterhood and we should see more of it in television and film.” – Laurie Holden
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our selection of friendship quotes celebrating life-long relationships.
25.) “Sister. She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she’s the reason you wish you were an only child.” – Barbara Alpert
26.) “Sweet is the voice of a sister in the season of sorrow.” – Benjamin Disraeli
Sisterhood Quotes About Feminism
27.) “And listen to me love, when a woman risks her place, her very life to speak a truth the world despises? Believe her. Always.” – Joy McCullough
28.) “Feminism is a political practice of fighting male supremacy in behalf of women as a class, including all the women you don’t like, including all the women you don’t want to be around, including all the women who used to be your best friends whom you don’t want anything to do with anymore. It doesn’t matter who the individual women are.” – Andrea Dworkin
29.) “Sweet, crazy conversations full of half sentences, daydreams and misunderstandings more thrilling than understanding could ever be.” – Toni Morrison
30.) “Having a sister is like having a best friend you can’t get rid of. You know whatever you do, they’ll still be there.” – Amy Li
31.) “Love is what makes the world go around. I know it’s a big cliché to use, but it is the absolute truth. There is nothing else like it. I know that is what everybody is striving to feel: in relationships, in brother- and sisterhood, and in all of the things that we aspire to have in our lives.” – Gladys Knight
32.) “Sisterhood is important because we are all we have to stand on. We have to stand near and by each other, pray for one another, and share the joys and the difficulties that women face in the world today. If we don’t talk about it among ourselves, then we are made silent by the patriarchy, and that serves us no purpose.” – Ntozake Shange
33.) “Sisterhood is important to me.” – Cheryl Cole
34.) “The good news is when we are in full-on sisterhood, women are the most powerful, political force in America.” – Cecile Richards
35.) “Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That’s their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood.” – Gloria Steinem
Sisterhood Quotes About Solidarity
36.) “There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.” – Madeleine Albright
37.) “I believe in women uplifting other women.” – C. JoyBell C.
38.) “I’m proud of her; she’s proud of me. There is no competition animosity, envy, or jealousy. We’re just secure, confident women doing our thing while supporting each other.” – Sabrina Newby
39.) We can have unity in diversity and diversity in unity. We don’t have to be like one another to enjoy sisterhood. – Barbara W. Winder
40.) “’All women is brothers,’ Burley Coulter used to say, and then look at you with a dead sober look as if he didn’t know why you thought that was funny. But, as usual, he was telling the truth. Or part of it.” – Wendell Berry
41.) “Women instinctually know how to nourish each other, and just being with each other is restorative.” – Tanja Taaljard
42.) “There’s something different when a woman does you wrong. We’re supposed to be here for each other!” – Kyle Labe
43.) “For some reason, I have better luck when I work with women. I guess I have a good sense of sisterhood.” – Dolly Parton
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Dolly Parton quotes from the iconic actress.
44.) “Sisters annoy, interfere, criticize. Indulge in monumental sulks, in huffs, in snide remarks. Borrow. Break. Monopolize the bathroom. Are always underfoot. But if catastrophe should strike, sisters are there. Defending you against all comers.” – Pam Brown
45.) “A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves a special kind of double.” – Toni Morrison
46.) “Helping one another is part of the religion of our sisterhood.” – Louisa May Alcott
Sisterhood Quotes About its Strength
47.) “Because there’s one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood.” – Robin Benway
48.) “Bond is stronger than blood. The family grows stronger by bond.” – Itohan Eghide
49.) “No matter what, they always had each other. How did people get through life without sisters?” – Michelle Madow
50.) “The female warrior knows how to fight without violence. She knows when not to raise her sword, but instead hold up her heart. Her shield is not a defense against others but a shelter for all.” – Riitta Klint
51.) “I felt like I was being carried over the threshold of a sisterhood of loss. I knew I was not walking alone, and that eventually I would bob back up to the surface of the deep, because the women around me showed me what healing looks like.” – Anna White
52.) “Sisterhood is powerful. Woman can support each other as women, in their pursuit for enlightenment or anything else, without fear.” – Frederick Lenz
53.) “Sisterly love is, of all sentiments, the most abstract. Nature does not grant it any functions.” – Ugo Betti
54.) “Maybe we tried so hard to be like the Sisterhood because it was easy for them and we wanted it to be easy for us. Because they were lucky and we wanted to be lucky too. They had wonder, and we didn’t have any. We looked for the magic, but we didn’t find it. We waited for the magic, but it didn’t find us.” – Ann Brashares
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of magic quotes about the power of the unseen.
More sisterhood quotes
55.) “Sisters share a bond unlike any other – thornier, but also tender, full of possibility.”― Joy McCullough
56.) “Sisterhood is a funny thing. It’s easy to recognize, but hard to define.” – Pearl Cleage
57. “A sister is the second mother to her brother and a brother is a second father to her sister.” – J. Tisa
58. “There is no place for secrets in sisterhood.” – Erin Forbes
59. “Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other.” – Carol Saline
60. “The bond of sisterly love is much tighter than the bond which binds men.” – Dixie Waters
61. “Sisters are reliably good for two things: hating and loving.” – Jessica Knoll
62. “A sister is a dearest friend, a closest enemy, and an angel at the time of need.” – Debasish Mridha
63. “Maybe the truth is, there’s a little bit of loser in all of us. Being happy isn’t having everything in your life be perfect. Maybe it’s about stringing together all the little things.” – Ann Brashares
64. “Sisters in battle, I am shield and blade to you. As I breathe, your enemies will know no sanctuary. While I live, your cause is mine.” – Leigh Bardugo
65. “The bittersweet about truth is that nothing could be more hurtful, yet nothing could be more helpful.” – Mike Norton
66. “We didn’t want to admit it then, but we were friends. Best friends.” – Shannon Celebi
Sisterhood quotes for all women
67. “There is a power to sisterhood.” — Ivory
68. “My major influence was my ten years older sister.” — Willa Ford
69. “My sister has been there for me through everything.” — Brad Goreski
70. “My first job is big sister and I take that very seriously.” — Venus Williams
71. “As I grew up, one of my strongest allies has been my sister.” — Patti Smith
72. “There’s nobody in the world that knows me better than my sister.” — Tia Mowry
73. “No life’s worth more than any other, no sister worth less than any brother.” — Michael Franti
74. “I consider myself very lucky to have a sister who is also my best friend, critic and guardian.” — Ishita Dutta
75. “A sister is like yourself in a different movie, a movie that stars you in a different life.” — Deborah Tannen
76. “I told my sister how much I loved her every day. That’s the only reason I’m OK right now.” — Amaury Nolasco
Sisterhood quotes to appreciate your girl tribe more
77. “But what Mom never told me is that along the way, you find sisters, and they find you. Girls are cool that way.” — Adriana Trigiani
78. “Sisterhood – that is, primary and bonding love from women – is, like motherhood, a capacity, not a destiny. It must be chosen, exercised by acts of will.” — Olga Broumas
79. “She is the mother I never had, she is the sister everybody would want. She is the friend that everybody deserves. I don’t know a better person.” — Oprah Winfrey
80. “Best friends are important. They’re the closest thing to a sister you’ll ever have.” — Jenny Han
81. “I love the notion of “storm sisters” – soul friends who help us get through life’s most raw and painful transitions.” — Jennifer Grant
82. “I aspire to be the best sister I can be – wherever we end up – this is my heartfelt pledge of sisterhood.” — Melanie J. Pellowski
83. “I believe in the power of sisterhood, so be that sister that another woman needs or when you need a lift, find a sister.” — Cheryl Barton
84. “Sometimes when we met people we feel a connection, a sense of sisterhood. And usually that sense is correct.” — Catherine Pulsifer
85. “There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.” ― Madeleine Albright
86. “You are blood. You are sisters. No man can break that bond.” ― Kim Boykin
Sisterhood quotes to share with your friends
87. “I’m excited about there being more of a sisterhood these days.” –Alanis Morisette
88. When I look around at this world, we women need each other so badly, it breaks my heart. Sisterhood is dissipating, and we aren’t doing nearly enough to salvage it. Eliminate the crazies in your life, yes. But also look again at those around you.” –Grace Gealey
89. “Women who understand how powerful they are do not give into envy over meaningless things, instead they fight to maintain the beautiful bond of the sisterhood. These are the real women who know that we need each other’s love and support to survive in this world.” –Bindu
90. “Once women find sisterhood, there’s nothing stronger.” –Zoe Kravitz
91. “When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us?” –Pam Brown
92. “That’s why, as we tell our stories to ourselves, it is also important to share them with others. This sharing brings a sense of kinship, of sisterhood. We understand that we are not alone in our efforts to become conscious, whole, healthy persons.” -Susan Wittig Albert
93. “Both within the family and without, our sisters hold up our mirrors: our images of who we are and of who we can dare to become.” –Elizabeth Fishel
94. “It is important to learn from other women. We have a lot to offer and to learn from each other out of our separate and common experience. The sisterhood (including the boilers – the old chooks!) is important to me.” -Hazel Hawke
95. “Where are the flowers, the fair young flowers, that lately sprang and stood / In brighter light and softer airs, a beauteous sisterhood?” –William C. Bryant
96. “Sisterhood is a powerful metaphor; it ought not become a synonym for groupthink.” –Kathleen Hall Jamieson
The strong bonds of sisterhood quotes
97. “To shine forever as an example to all women, that is the mythic and collective legacy of all sisterhoods. How do we begin to reclaim our sisters? We get to know each other in all our depths.” -Brenda Peterson
98. “A virtuous sister who is a faithful friend is a sister-friend. Within every friendship, there is a bond of some type which varies from person to person. We may have many acquaintances in life, but as the saying goes, “True friendships, like diamonds, are precious and rare.” -Francie Taylor
99. “Empower, lift and fortify each other. For the positive vitality spread to one will be felt by every one of us. For we are associated, every last one.” -Deborah Day
100. “Of all the blessings sisterhood can bestow, I think the greatest is to be known, really known.” -Colleen Sell
101. “I am a living testament that deep, amazing platonic friendships can and do exist between men and women, and my life is the better for all of my surrogate sisters.” -Hill Harper
102. “We’ve all been through the storms of life. What a comfort to know the One who quiets the winds and calms the raging seas – and sometimes uses our sisters-in-Christ to do it.” -Virginia Smith
103. “God did plan for me to have sisters of the heart. Heart Sisters who didn’t grow up with me but will stand up with me no matter what. Heart Sisters who know my most horrible qualities and love me anyway. Heart Sisters who aren’t related to me by blood but instead by the sisterly bond entwined between our hearts. Heart Sisters are just as strong as – and in some cases even stronger than – blood sisters.” -Natalie Chambers Snapp
104. “There’s nothing like a conversation with a woman that understands you.” -Beyonce
105. “It is the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.” -Marlene Dietrich
106. “That was the thing about best friends. Like sisters and mothers, they could piss you off and make you cry and break your heart, but in the end, when the chips were down, they were there, making you laugh even in your darkest hours.” -Kristen Hannah
Inspirational Sisterhood Quotes
107. “Since all females are daughters of a loving Father in Heaven, we are truly sisters, which explains our instinctive feelings of sisterhood.” – Marilynne Todd Linford, Sisters Forever
108. “Help one another, is part of the religion of sisterhood.” Louisa May Alcott
109. “There is no better friend than a sister and there is no better sister than you.” – Unknown
110. “A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.” – Marion C. Garretty
111. “She’s my confidant, my joy, my greatest laughter, my private diary, my strength. She’s my soul sister.” – Unknown
112. “The feeling of sisterhood is the same whether you’re in Salt Lake or South Africa.”― Dorah Mkhabela
113. “When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of “Me,too!” be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.” – Unknown
114. “Sisterhood symbolizes all that we wish to accomplish in our lives. It represents the struggles we all face as we grow. Why we cling to it no one can explain, but in the end, we are all stronger for it.” – Unknown
115. “Women are a sisterhood. They make common cause in behalf of the sex; and, indeed, this is natural enough, when we consider the vast power that the law gives us over them.” – William Cobbett
116. “The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up. Make sure you’re very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble.” – Serena Williams
How does sisterhood benefit you?
Maybe you have a sister who cares for you or brings out the best in you. Maybe you are a sister yourself and you give the utmost care to a sibling who means the world to you.
You may be a woman who derives strength in nurturing others, or perhaps you aren’t a woman but you reap the benefits of a friendship or relationship with a woman who provides that warmth and empathetic care for you when you need it most.
Sisterhoods and sisterly relationships benefit everyone, so we must be thankful for them.
Which of these sisterhood quotes and sayings resonated with you best? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
May 6, 2022 5:00 AM EST