Stair quotes can serve as a medium of inspiration for most of us.
That’s why we have created a list of the best quotes about stairs for you to seek the inspiration you are looking for.
Besides offering you quotes, we have also talked about the origin of the word ‘Stair’ and what this word symbolizes.
Since a lot is coming up, there is no point in sticking to the intro.
So, let’s begin!
Origin of the word ‘Stair’
The true origin of the word ‘Stair’ isn’t known, as this tool was used even before humans named it.
In old English, the word ‘Stair’ was spelled as ‘stǣger’.
To some, this word originated from the German language.
It is also associated with the Dutch word ‘Steiger’, which means ‘To Climb’.
To sum up, the term ‘Stair’ might have more than one origin.
However, most of them are related to the word ‘Climb’ in one way or another.
Different types of stairs
Discussed below are the various types of stairs that you might find in both old-styled and modern buildings.
- Straight stairs go upward with no change in direction
- L-shaped or Quarter-Turn stairs with a 90-degree turn at some point
- In U-shaped or Half-Turn stairs, two parallel flights are separated by a landing part
- Spiral stairs have a compact design, as the stairs revolve around a pole
- Curved stairs have a curved shape. Unlike L-shaped or U-shaped stairs, curved stairs don’t have landings
- Bifurcated stairs are the grandest of all types mentioned above. This type of stairs split into two parallel flights (right and left) after reaching the middle part.
What do stairs symbolize?
Since time immemorial, stairs have symbolized achievement, power, and enlightenment.
Hence, stairs always refer to something of significant nature.
For instance, symbolically, stairs can relate to a journey or a part of a journey.
When a person ascends the stairs, this marks a positive journey.
On the contrary, this act might be considered a negative journey when someone goes down the stairs.
Besides, stairs are also considered a pathway that unites two distinct places.
Take a moment and read through our stairs quotes and sayings.
Top 10 stairs quotes
This section offers you the best stairs quotes that are quite popular among readers.
1. “Life for me ain’t been no crystal stair.” — Langston Hughes
2. “Stairs to success are made of people.” ― Ljupka Cvetanova
3. “All rising to great places is by a winding stair.” — Gautama Buddha
4. “The elevator to success is broken, take the stairs.” — Jenifer Lewis
5. “Failures are the stairs we climb to reach success.” — Roy T. Bennett
6. “Never look backwards or you’ll fall down the stairs.” — Rudyard Kipling
7. “There is no elevator to success, you have to take the stairs.” — Zig Ziglar
8. “The best time of love, is when one goes up the stairs.” — Georges Clemenceau
9. “I took the stairs and felt like my childhood took the elevator.” — Drew Barrymore
10. “It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs.” — Vance Havner
Stairs quotes with a pinch of wisdom
Usually, quotes have some sort of inspiring elements. However, the stairs quotes listed below are inspiring and serve as a source of wisdom.
11. “You’ll have to use the stairs… one step at a time.” — Joe Girard
12. “In the haunted house of life, art is the only stair that doesn’t creak.” — Tom Robbins
13. “Life tells you to take the elevator, but love tells you to take the stairs.” — David Levithan
14. “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” — Martin Luther King
15. “The world is made of stairs, and there are those who go up and those who go down.” — Ed McBain
16. “We are all on the stairs, my friend; some of us are going down, some us are going up.” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
17. “Faith goes up the stairs that love has built and looks out the windows which hope has opened.” — Charles Spurgeon
18. “You can’t break a bad habit by throwing it out the window. You’ve got to walk it slowly down the stairs.” — Mark Twain
19. “Success is not an accident. It is sheer hard work. There is no short-cuts. You have to take the stairs and you have to start from the bottom.” — Rita Zahara
20. “Now is the dramatic moment of fate, Watson, when you hear a step upon the stair which is walking into your life, and you know not whether for good or ill.” — Arthur Conan Doyle
Stairs quotes for guidance in life
These stairs quotes have a message for those seeking guidance for a successful life.
21. “We walk through the world, we walk up the stairs to the landing.” — John Michael Stipe
22. “No amount of smiling at a flight of stairs has ever made it turn into a ramp.” — Stella Young
23. “Those stairs won’t know which way they’re going; take drastic steps, kick it to the curb.” — William Steig
24. “The world is like a grand staircase, some are going up and some are going down.” — Samuel Johnson
25. “When you reach for a star, only angels are there. And it’s not very far, just a step on a stair.” — Kate Bush
26. “Somewhere up the stairs, / Into the fire / May your strength give us strength / May your faith give us faith.” — Bruce Springsteen
27. “And all my cares are laid by, I’ll lay down my soul, my battles are won, I’ll walk dem golden stairs when I die when I die.” — Elvis Presley
28. “It’s like climbing a staircase. I’m on the top of the stairs, I look behind me and I see the steps. That’s where I was.” — Jeanne Moreau
29. “If the step that I am on becomes the plane upon which I live, I will soon forget that no single step is ever a staircase.” — Craig D. Lounsbrough
30. “To me, a staircase looks like a series of dark and light horizontal stripes, which is exactly how you’d draw a staircase. So I know how the image is going to look on the page.” — G. Willow Wilson
Stairs quotes with a hidden message
The stairs quotes listed in this section have a clear message that will urge you to pause and think.
31. “Every right quote is a golden stair to enlightenment.” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
32. “Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators.” — Stephen Fry
33. “I like to run, to go down the stairs, I’m one of those kind of people.” — Jill Clayburgh
34. “Two things are bad for the heart—running up stairs and running down people.” — Bernard Baruch
35. “Halfway down the stairs, is a stair, where I sit. There isn’t any, other stair, quite like, it.” — A. A. Milne
36. “A man’s health can be judged by which he takes two at a time: pills or stairs.” — Joan Walsh Anglund
37. “I summon to the winding ancient stair; Set all your mind upon the steep ascent.” — William Butler Yeats
38. “A habit cannot be tossed out the window; it must be coaxed down the stairs a step at a time.” — Mark Twain
39. “A stair not worn hollow by footsteps is, regarded from its own point of view, only a boring something made of wood.” — Franz Kafka
40. “Man, unlike anything organic or inorganic in the universe, grows beyond his work, walks up the stairs of his concepts, emerges ahead of his accomplishments.” — John Steinbeck
Some other inspiring stairs quotes
In this section, we have collected some other stairs quotes for your inspiration.
41. “Truth speaks itself, and it does not need any shoulders or stairs.” ― Ehsan Sehgal
42. “You shall find out how salt is the taste of another man’s bread, and how hard is the way up and down another man’s stairs.” — Dante Alighieri
43. “History is only the pattern of silken slippers descending the stairs to the thunder of hobnailed boots climbing upward from below.” — Voltaire
44. “You know how it is when you’re walking up the stairs, and you get to the top, and you think there’s one more step? I’m like that all the time.” — Steven Wright
45. “A man falls down a flight of stairs and somebody rushes over to him and asks, Did you miss a step? No, he answers, I hit every one of them.” — Milton Berle
46. “Some people are like Slinkies. They aren’t really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.” — Patricia Briggs
47. “Then, at night in my own home, I became a weirdo, a shadow watcher, a freak who wondered what was waiting on the basement stairs.” ― Mandy Nachampassack
48. “In the New Year, never forget to thank to your past years because they enabled you to reach today! Without the stairs of the past, you cannot arrive at the future.” — Mehmet Murat ildan
49. “An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.” — Mitch Hedberg
50. “You have a choice. Live or die. Every breath is a choice. Every minute is a choice. Every time you don’t throw yourself down the stairs, that’s a choice. Every time you don’t crash your car, you re-enlist.” — Chuck Palahniuk
Which of these stairs quotes is your favorite?
The stairs quotes and sayings above were created with a purpose.
It was our priority to offer you only the best quotes.
We hope you liked most of the quotes listed above.
If there is one that you love to share, please let us know.