Martin Scorsese Quotes From His Amazing Film Career
December 24, 2019 7:30 AM EST
It’s no secret that the films Martin Scorsese has crafted over his lengthy career are all tiny miracles.
Below you’ll find a variety of interesting Martin Scorsese quotes from his works.
Martin Scorsese is an Italian American filmmaker responsible for some of the best films.
He began his career after completing a B.S. degree in film communications in 1964.
He followed this up with an M.A. in film communications in 1966 from New York University’s School of Film.
Goodfellas and Cape Fear are Scorsese classics.
A lesser-known fact is that he directed Michael Jackson’s music video Bad, which is definitely a departure from his sarcastic and edgy films!
Below are 50 of the best Martin Scorsese quotes from his films.
And after reading the lines below, don’t forget to also check out these Stan Lee quotes on living a heroic life.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Martin Scorsese quotes from Hugo
1. “You’ve tried to forget the past for so long. Maybe it’s time to try and remember.” – Mama Jeanne
2. “This might be an adventure, and I’ve never had one before – outside of books, at least.” – Isabelle
3. “I’d imagine the whole world was one big machine. Machines never come with any extra parts, you know. They always come with the exact amount they need. So I figured, if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn’t be an extra part. I had to be here for some reason.” – Hugo
4. “If you ever wonder where your dreams come from, look around: this is where they’re made.” – Georges Melies
5. “The story’s not over yet.” – Hugo
6. “Films have the power to capture dreams.” – Hugo’s Father
7. “Do you want to have an adventure?” – Hugo
8. “He told me it was like seeing his dreams in the middle of the day.” – Hugo
9. “It’s Neverland and Oz and Treasure Island all wrapped up into one.” – Hugo
10. “You see this? A keyhole in the shape of a heart – another mystery!” – Hugo’s Father
Martin Scorsese quotes from The Wolf of Wall Street
11. “Donnie and I were going out on our own. And the first thing we needed was brokers. Guys with sales experience. So I recruited some of my hometown boys: Sea Otter, who sold meat and weed; Chester, who sold tires and weed; and Robbie, who sold anything he could get his hands on, mostly weed.” – Jordan Belfort
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of The Wolf of Wall Street quotes to relive the incredible story of Jordan Belfort.
12. “Without action, the best intentions in the world are nothing more than that: intentions.”― Jordan Belfort
13. “One thing I can promise you is that I never ask my clients to judge me on my winners, I ask them to judge me on my losers because I have so few.” – Jordan Belfort
14. “Hard work beats talent. Every time!” – Jordan Belfort
15. “97% of the people who quit too soon are employed by the 3% who didn’t.” – Jordan Belfort
16. “I want you to deal with your problems by becoming rich!” – Jordan Belfort
17. “At least as a rich man when I have to face my problems I show up at the back of a limo wearing a $2,000 suit and a $40,000 gold fucking watch.” – Jordan Belfort
18. “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” – Jordan Belfort
19. “It’s business. Leave your emotions at the door.” – Jordan Belfort
Also read our list of inspiring Quentin Tarantino quotes on film-making, writing, and more.
Martin Scorsese quotes from Cape Fear
20. “If you hang onto the past you die a little each day.” – Danielle Bowden
21. “Every man… every man has to go through hell to reach paradise.” – Max Cady
22. “You can’t escape your demons just by leaving home.” – Max Cady
23. “I don’t know whether to look at him or read him.” – Lieutenant Elgart
24. “Well, pardon me all over the place.” – Lieutenant Elgart
25. “It’s a mistake to teach women how to tell time. They always use it against you.” – Sam Bowden
26. “I understand I’m not your type, too many tattoos. Thing is, there isn’t much to do in prison except desecrate your flesh.” – Max Cady
27. “I am going to teach you the meaning of commitment. Fourteen years ago, I was forced to make a commitment to an eight by nine cell, now you are going to be forced to make a commitment. You could say I’m here to save you.” – Max Cady
28. “I’d like to know just how strong we are. Or how weak. But I guess the only way we’re gonna find that out is just by going through this.” – Leigh Bowden
Martin Scorsese quotes about life and cinema
29. “I’ve seen many, many movies over the years, and there are only a few that suddenly inspire you so much that you want to continue to make films.” – Martin Scorsese
30. “My whole life has been movies and religion. That’s it. Nothing else.” –Martin Scorsese
31. “Now more than ever we need to talk to each other, to listen to each other and understand how we see the world, and cinema is the best medium for doing this.” – Martin Scorsese
32. “You don’t make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home.” – Martin Scorsese
33. “There’s no such thing as simple. Simple is hard.” – Martin Scorsese
34. “And as I’ve gotten older, I’ve had more of a tendency to look for people who live by kindness, tolerance, compassion, a gentler way of looking at things.” – Martin Scorsese
35. “Cinema is a matter of what’s in the frame and what’s out.”
― Martin Scorsese
36. “You never know how much time you have left.” – Martin Scorsese
37. “You want to get films made that express what you have to say. You try to do that, but it’s a very delicate balance.” – Martin Scorsese
38. “Your job is to get your audience to care about your obsessions.”― Martin Scorsese
39. “We have to remember: we may think we know what’s going to last and what isn’t. We may feel absolutely sure of ourselves, but we really don’t know, we can’t know.” – Martin Scorsese
Martin Scorsese quotes from The Grifters
40. “The best reason I can think of is that you scare the hell out of me. I have seen women like you before, baby. You’re double-tough and you are sharp as a razor, and you get what you want or else, but you don’t make it work forever. Sooner or later the lightning hits, and I’m not gonna be around when it hits you.” – Roy Dillon
41. “It’s great to get away, isn’t it? Take some time off. Next week, I’ll be back to work.” – Roy Dillon
42. “I guess I owe you my life, Lilly.” – Roy Dillon
43. “Around the country, the bookies pay off winners at track odds. It’s dangerous when a long shot comes in. Unless you have somebody at the tracks to lower those odds.” – Martin Scorsese, opening voice over
44. “One question. Do you want to stick to that story, or do you want to keep your teeth?” – Bobo Justice
45. “I gave you your life twice. I’m asking you to give me mine once.” – Lilly Dillon
46. “It was beautiful! And getting better all the time.” – Myra Langtry
47. “Mister Hebbing, we are talking about breaking the law here, I want to be sure you understand that. No one gets hurt, but the law does get broken.” – Cole
48. “Well, who’s a boy gonna talk to if not his mother?” – Roy Dillon
49. “You’re working some angle, and don’t tell me you’re not because I wrote the book!” – Lily Dillon
50. “You haven’t got the stomach for it.” – Lily Dillon
More Martin Scorsese quotes and sayings
51. “Every scene is a lesson. Every shot is a school. Let the learning continue.” – Martin Scorsese
52. “Music and film are inseparable. They always have been and always will be.” – Martin Scorsese
53. “I have a desire to tell stories. And I’m never quite satisfied.” – Martin Scorsese
54. “There are times when you have to face your enemies, sit down and deal with it.” – Martin Scorsese
55. “It is not the most brilliant that excel in film, but the most patient!” – Martin Scorsese
56. “Food tells you everything about the way people live and who they are.” – Martin Scorsese
57. “You can be born-again and believe in Jesus, believe in Jesus’ ideas and try to live them out, without becoming totally intolerant of other people.” – Martin Scorsese
58. “I loved the idea of seeing the world through a boy’s eyes.” – Martin Scorsese
59. “Young filmmakers should learn how to deal with the money and learn how to deal with the power structure. Because it is like a battle.” – Martin Scorsese
60. “People have to start talking to know more about other cultures and to understand each other.” – Martin Scorsese
What did you think of these Martin Scorsese quotes?
Martin Scorsese’s films are known for bitingly harsh quotes like these.
There are also some other consistencies in his films I found interesting like, they are frequently set in New York City.
More than one of his films has featured music by the Rolling Stones and used freeze frames.
Scorsese’s films make for a dramatic evening of film viewing.
If you have got the stomach for it, his crime drama movies are like non-other.
It’s a good thing that he a phenomenal filmmaker since he has spent his whole life entertaining us.
According to him, “My whole life has been movies and religion. That’s it.
What did you think of these memorable Martin Scorsese quotes?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Check out Martin Scorsese on MasterClass where he teaches Filmmaking.