Expand your perspective with these Master of None quotes.
The Master of None was an exceptional American TV comedy-drama like no other. The series won three Emmy Awards and a Golden Globe for Outstanding Writing for Comedy Series.
It was played and co-created by Aziz Ansari. Ansari played the role of Dev Sha, a 30-year-old Indian-American who struggled to make it as a comedian in the bustling city of New York.
The story touches on many soft spot topics such as racism, sexism, division, and immigrant life while keeping a light and exciting atmosphere within the series.
Check out the Master of None quotes below and be inspired to follow your dreams and laugh a little while doing so.
Don’t forget to also check out these Mr. Robot quotes that challenge the way you view hacking.
Master of None quotes by Dev Shah
1. “I feel like there should be an app that analyzes your tum and tells you what you want to eat.” ― Dev Shah
2. “Going to Whole Foods, want me to pick you up anything?” ― Dev Shah
3. “Your IMDb page is full of Indian stereotypes.” ― Dev Shah
4. “I don’t know if it’s about her. I just miss that feeling. When we together doing all that stuff, I felt really connected to somebody. It felt good. Now I just feel fucking alone.” ― Dev Shah
Master of None quotes from memorable conversations within the show
5. Dev: “You see The Social Network? Max Minghella plays an Indian guy. He’s white. They browned him up.”
Ravi: “No no, I read he’s one-sixteenth Indian.”
Dev: “Who cares? If you go back far enough we’re all one-sixteenth something. I’m probably one-sixteenth black. You think they’re gonna let me play Blade?”
6. Dev: “Man, why’d you drag me to a work party?”
Denise: “’Cause you’re my buddy. You’re my friend. I want you to meet my coworkers.”
7. Denise: “Yeah, plus there’s this girl here I’m trying to get with and if I showed up by myself, that’d seem kind of lame.”
Dev: “Uh-huh, I get that.”
Denise: “And I asked a bunch of other people to come, they said no.”
Dev: “Great, thanks.”
8. Rachel: “I barely remember anything from that night, except for that you’re from South Carolina, you have a younger brother, your dad’s a doctor, and you went to a public high school for students, gifted in math and science.”
Dev: “Yeah. But don’t you feel like those are just assumptions you can make about any Indian person?”
9. “Long term relationships are tough. You can’t just expect a big, roaring fire right away, right? You know, you can’t put the big logs in first. You start with the small stuff. Kindling, all right? Then you add that, *then* you put in the big logs and *then* you have a roaring fire. And that’s a good relationship. But be careful, sometimes kindling is hard to find, you know? Good wood. So, don’t take it for granted.” ― Benjamin
Master of None quotes by Aziz Ansari
10. “What you really want is someone you can hang around with on a Sunday afternoon and watch a TV show with, and do nothing, and feel like it’s the most fun ever.” — Aziz Ansari (New York Post, 2015)
11. “In Italy, you know you’ve found a truly authentic restaurant when they don’t have an English menu. In India, it’s when there are no utensils and you must eat with your hands.” — Aziz Ansari (T Magazine, 2016)
12. “For Chinese food, you don’t want a nice place.” — Aziz Ansari (Esquire, 2015)
13. “It’s not fun to be, like, ‘Fuck Twilight!’ It’s more interesting to come at it from the viewpoint of ‘What? This is awesome!’ — and embrace things.” — Aziz Ansari (The New Yorker, 2010)
14. “There’s probably so many people that are capable of incredible things that just don’t get the opportunity. I always say that if I didn’t write Master of None, nobody would’ve given me this part.” — Aziz Ansari (Variety, 2016)
15. “Life is a mess but we’re all in the same boat, so let’s just be nice to each other on the boat.” — Aziz Ansari (The Guardian, 2016)
16. “I’d rather do stuff that I’m really excited about, in really small venues, than do garbage at [Madison Square] Garden any night.” — Aziz Ansari (The New York Times, 2014)
17. “You can dream about awards but I dream the smart way: I just hope the show is really good and that people I respect really like it. If you dream in that way, everything else falls into place. If you dream the other way, you’re always going to be disappointed and a curmudgeon.” — Aziz Ansari (The Guardian, 2015)
18. “We were doing [the Master of None Episode 9 sex scenes] and a few of the crew came up to me and were like, ‘This is exactly how it feels in real life.’ It all goes back to this other idea — and I don’t know whose quote this is — but it’s the idea that the most personal ends up being the most universal.” — Aziz Ansari (A.V. Club, 2015)
19. “Why do we always want the best?… Maybe you just make confident decisions and feel great about them.” — Aziz Ansari (Chipotle, 2015)
20. “While we were writing [Master of None], we would work until 6 or 7pm, and then we’d be done. There are other writers’ rooms where people spend nights in the office. I can’t imagine you’re doing your best work then. You’ve got to be a person and do other stuff, or you’re not going to be inspired to write.” — Aziz Ansari (Fast Company, 2015)
Other Master of None quotes by Aziz Ansari
21. “A straight white guy is not every man. The ‘everyman’ is everybody.” — Aziz Ansari (The New York Times, 2015)
22. “Be nice to people and work hard.” — Aziz Ansari (Entertainment Weekly, 2015)
23. “Steal as much wisdom from other people as you can.” — Aziz Ansari (Esquire, 2015)
24. “I’ve got to become a different guy before I write a third season, is my personal thought. I’ve got to get married or have a kid or something. I don’t have anything else to say about being a young guy being single in New York eating food around town all the time.” — Aziz Ansari
25. “Oh, yeah, I’m so sorry. If you work really hard on something and the only person that’s upset with it is Chris Brown, you did a fantastic job. If he’s the only guy you couldn’t reach, job well done.” — Aziz Ansari
26. “Look, don’t say ‘red-staters,’ because when you say ‘red-staters,’ you’re saying, like, ‘dumb, racist people,’ and there are plenty of white people there who are not dumb, racist people. Maybe I’m just very quick to react when, as a culture, we try to paint this whole large group of people as one specific thing. Because that’s what, as a minority, you deal with all the time. It’s just people looking at you and being like, ‘You’re this. I know exactly what you are.’ And you’re like, ‘Shut up! That’s not me. You don’t know me.’ ” — Aziz Ansari
27. “I don’t need to make more stuff. I’ve made a lot of stuff! I’m financially okay. I’m not gonna make stuff just for the sake of making stuff. I want to make stuff ’cause I’m inspired. Right now I don’t really feel inspired.” — Aziz Ansari
28. “Whenever you check for a new post on Instagram or whenever you go on The New York Times to see if there’s a new thing, it’s not even about the content. It’s just about seeing a new thing. You get addicted to that feeling.” — Aziz Ansari
29. “I’m not choosing ignorance. I’m choosing to not watch wrestling.”— Aziz Ansari
30. “I don’t think we’re as amazing as our parents are. I’m not going to have any struggles to tell my kids about. What’s my story going to be like? Ah, son, once, when I was flying from New York to L.A., my iPad died!” — Aziz Ansari
Which of these Master of None quotes is your favorite?
Master of None is a unique series. We probably won’t see a film or show as brilliant as this anytime soon.
The unique perspective of Aziz Ansari brought a whole new level of perspective about the life of an immigrant in the land of struggle and opportunity. It delicately portrayed vital connections with other people and loved ones.
This film is for every American out there who wants to laugh, cry and love at the same time. One of the highlighted themes of the series is the transition in your 20s to 30s which makes it relatable to many.
So, as you work on the balance between living in the moment and planning the rest of your life, these Master of None quotes and sayings will keep you entertained.
September 14, 2021 7:00 AM EST