The Big Apple is calling your name in these New York quotes about the wonders of the city.
If there is one thing you should know about New York City if you’ve never been there before is that people love it.
Those that live in the city can’t imagine ever wanting to live anywhere else and those that visit quickly fall in love with the culture.
New York City is known for having something to offer everyone.
There are five boroughs that make up the city and in them, you can visit some of the most famous landmarks in the country from the Statue of Liberty to Time Square.
If you want a better understanding of what people love about the city so much, check out these New York quotes.
Also read these California quotes that will make you want to pack a bag for the coast.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Why people love New York quotes
1. “London is satisfied, Paris is resigned, but New York is always hopeful. Always it believes that something good is about to come off, and it must hurry to meet it.” — Dorothy Parker
2. “My favorite thing about New York is the people because I think they’re misunderstood. I don’t think people realize how kind New York people are.” — Bill Murray
3. “One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.” ― Tom Wolfe
4. “At night… the streets become rhythmical perspectives of glowing dotted lines, reflections hung upon them in the streets as the wistaria hangs its violet racemes on its trellis. The buildings are shimmering verticality, a gossamer veil, a festive scene-prop hanging there against the black sky to dazzle, entertain, amaze.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
5. “I wake up every morning and say to myself, ‘Well, I’m still in New York. Thank you, God.” ― Ed Koch
6. “Make your mark in New York and you are a made man.”- Mark Twain
7. “Quite simply, I was in love with New York. I do not mean ‘love’ in any colloquial way, I mean that I was in love with the city, the way you love the first person who ever touches you and you never love anyone quite that way again.” — Joan Didion
8. “I go to Paris, I go to London, I go to Rome, and I always say, “There’s no place like New York. It’s the most exciting city in the world now. That’s the way it is. That’s it.” — Robert De Niro
9. “When I’m in New York, I just want to walk down the street and feel this thing, like I’m in a movie.” – Ryan Adams
10. ‘‘I would give the greatest sunset in the world for one sight of New York’s skyline.’ – Ayn Rand
11. “Sometimes, from beyond the skyscrapers, the cry of a tugboat finds you in your insomnia, and you remember that this desert of iron and cement is an island.” –Albert Camus
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of insomnia quotes for when you can’t sleep.
12. “When it’s 100 degrees in New York, it’s 72 in Los Angeles. When its 30 degrees in New York, in Los Angeles it’s still 72. However, there are 6 million interesting people in New York and only 72 in Los Angeles.”― Neil Simon
13. “I can’t with any conscience argue for New York with anyone. It’s like Calcutta. But I love the city in an emotional, irrational way, like loving your mother or your father even though they’re a drunk or a thief. I’ve loved the city my whole life — to me, it’s like a great woman.” –Woody Allen
14. “What I love about New York is the electricity I feel right away.”- Jack Dorsey
15. “More than anything else, New York is a city of superlatives, a place where the best, the brightest, the biggest is the norm.” – Marilyn J. Appleberg
Culture in New York quotes
16. “New York is made up of millions of different people, and they all come here looking for something.”-Lindsey Kelk
17. “The culture in New York is just impossible to replicate. It’s such an incredible feeling to be walking on the streets of New York. You can literally find everything you need in a five block radius oftentimes.”- Max Schneider
18. “Given New York’s cultural diversity, it has always attracted creative people.”- Fred Wilson
19. “The diversity, the food, the culture, the constant change-New York is truly one of the most inspiring places on the planet.”- XXMK
20. “The art and culture that is New York, communications, finance, all these things help make up New York. The rest of the country should be happy that we are what we are.”- David Dinkins
21. “If most American cities are about the consumption of culture, Los Angeles and New York are about the production of culture-not only national culture, but global culture.”- Barbara Kruger
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of culture quotes about its power in society.
Living in New York quotes
22. “The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding.”― John Updike
23. “Once you have lived in New York and it has become your home, no place else is good enough.” — John Steinbeck
24. “Every true New Yorker believes with all his heart that when a New Yorker is tired of New York, he is tired of life.” — Robert Moses
25. “I live in New York City, so there’s so much stimulation when you walk outside, it does not require a television in the home.”- Jesse Eisenberg
26. “I live in New York, and I’m in New York basically all the time. I spend a lot of time in restaurants, and I feel like that’s why they’re successful.”-Bobby Flay
27. “That’s the problem with living in New York. You’ve got no New York to run away to.”- Amor Towles
28. “I currently live in the Plaza in New York, and I love it- all that history, all those interesting stories.”- Tommy Hilfiger
29. “If you want to become a real New Yorker, there’s only one rule: You have to believe New York is, has been, and always will be the greatest city on earth. The center of the universe.” – Ellen R. Shapiro
30. “I live in New York city, the stories of my films take place in New York; I’m a New York filmmaker.” – Spike Lee
31. “I have to listen to New York; I live there. I wasn’t born there, but I’ve been living there all my life.”- Thelonious Monk
32. “We live in New York. To be able to have a steady job and take your kids to school, and be around and work hard, is the perfect life.”- Brooke Shields
33. “I realized the other day that I’ve lived in New York longer than I’ve lived anywhere else. It’s amazing: I am a New Yorker. I never thought I’d be.”- David Bowie
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of David Bowie quotes that will inspire you to live a life that is anything but boring.
34. “New York is an ugly city, a dirty city. Its climate is a scandal, its politics are used to frighten children, its traffic is madness, its competition is murderous. But there is one thing about it: Once you have lived in New York and it has become your home, no place else is good enough.” – John Steinbeck
Pursuing your dreams in New York quotes
35. “This is the city of dreamers and time and again it’s the place where the greatest dream of all, the American dream, has been tested and has triumphed.”- Michael Bloomberg (see more quotes from Michael Bloomberg)
36. “People go to LA to “find themselves”, they come to New York to become someone new.”― Lindsey Kelk
37. “Somewhere between living and dreaming is New York.”- Unknown
38. “New York is made up of millions of different people, and they all come here looking for something.” – Lindsey Kelk
Visiting New York quotes
39. “Welcome to New York, it’s been waiting for you.” – Taylor Swift
40. “Something’s always happening here. If you’re bored in New York, it’s your own fault.” –Myrna Loy
41. “New York is really the place to be; to go to New York, you’re going to the center of the world, the lion’s den.” – Zubin Mehta
42. “I get out of the taxi and it’s probably the only city which in reality looks better than on the postcards, New York.” – Milos Forman
43. “Visiting New York city is like being on a giant movie set.”- Unknown
New York quotes that will make your day
44. “This isn’t a fairy tale, it’s New York city.”- Alex Flinn Beastly
45. “When you leave New York, you aren’t going anywhere.”- Jimmy Breslin
46. “I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world’s greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance.” – Nora Ephron
47. “Concrete Jungle where dreams are made of, there’s nothing you can’t do…” – Alicia Keys
48. “There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless” – Simone Beauvoir
49. “It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story.” – Agatha Christie
50. “It was never built for the comfort and happiness of its citizens, but to astonish the world.” – Susan Ertz
51. “New York had all the iridescence of the beginning of the world.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
52. “Every person on the streets of New York is a type. The city is one big theater where everyone is on display.” – Jerry Rubin
More New York quotes and sayings
53. “As for New York City, it is a place apart. There is not its match in any other country in the world.” – Pearl S. Buck
54. “New York is appalling, fantastically charmless and elaborately dire.” – Henry James
55. “New York is an exciting town where something is happening all the time, most unsolved.” – Johnny Carson
56. “New York now leads the world’s great cities in the number of people around whom you shouldn’t make a sudden move.” – David Letterman
57. “In New York you’ve got to have all the luck.” – Charles Bukowski
58. “People in France are very intrusive when they recognize you. In New York, they are very polite, with quick words, so it’s great.” – Audrey Tautou
59. “One of the reasons why I chose to live in New York was that there is this sense of your environment constantly changing.” – Taraka Larson
60. “New York has been the best gift, in that the city pushes me to so many next levels.” – Baratunde Thurston”
New York Quotes To Inspire Adventure
61. “New York is not a city – it’s a world.” — Iman
62. “There’s nothing you can’t do, now you’re in New York! These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you. Let’s hear it for New York.” — Jay-Z
63. “Autumn in New York, it spells the thrill of first-night.” — Billie Holiday
64. “The only people who can afford to be artists in New York are rich.” — Sophie
65. “Spend the rest of your life out west but you’re still a New Yorker.” — James Brogan
66. “And I always heard people in New York never get to know their neighbors.” — Paul Varjak
67. “One thing about New York City. You are here or you are nowhere” — Gatsby Welles
68. “In Hollywood, actors learn to act from watching television. In New York, people learn to act by walking down the street.” — Sidney Lumet
69. To me, the difference between New York and London is that things are boring and staid in London. — Theo James
70. “ The wanderer in Manhattan must go forth with a certain innocence because New York is best seen with innocent eyes.” — Pete Hamill
New York Quotes That Fills New Yorkers With Pride
71. “New York is not just a place — it’s an ideal that embodies excitement, energy, and endless possibilities. It’s time for us to seize this moment with hope and optimism. It’s time for us to build a future every New Yorker can believe in.” — Kathy Hochul
72. “I have a very focused agenda. And I hold myself to the highest standards. I judge myself more harshly than any voter, or any New Yorker, will.” — Kathy Hochul
73. “It is our time to unleash the power of New York’s women.” — Kathy Hochul
74. “When you leave New York, you are astonished at how clean the rest of the world is. Clean is not enough.”— Fran Lebowitz
75. “If Louis was right, and you only get one great love, New York may just be mine. And I can’t have nobody talking shit about my boyfriend.”— Carrie Bradshaw
76. “I don’t like cities. But I like New York. Other places make me feel like a dork.”— Madonna
77. “Some of us claim that New York City is the capital of the country, indeed the capital of the world. Now that may be a bit much for those who don’t come from New York, but clearly, we are an important city for reasons of our cultural advances.”— David Dinkins
78. “Whoever is born in New York is ill-equipped to deal with any other city: all other cities seem, at best, a mistake, and, at worst, a fraud. No other city is so spitefully incoherent.”— James Baldwin
79. “Being a New Yorker grounds you in every way. Before you walk out of the house, you can dress in the nicest clothes and be whoever you think you are, but when you’re on those streets, you’re just in the school of fish.”— Awkafina
80. “New York is a sucked orange”—Ralph Waldo Emerson
Get caught up in the excitement
If you’ve never been to NYC before, now is the perfect time to plan a trip.
You can see for yourself what people love about the city so much.
From late-night live music to street vendors and Broadway shows or museums, the options of things to do are endless.
It’s a city where many dreams are born and goals achieved.
The diversity and rich culture of the city make it a place that is uncomparable for many.
Even with the crowded streets, obnoxious cost of living, and cold winter temperatures, there’s something about the city that takes hold of a person and leaves them wanting more.
Did you enjoy these New York quotes and sayings?
What other cities would you like to have featured on Everyday Power?
Let us know in the comment section below.
May 11, 2022 6:00 AM EST