These One Day At A Time quotes will make you miss watching sitcoms on your lazy days.
One Day at a Time is a sitcom running on Netflix that was reimagined from a 1900s version of the same show but with entirely different characters and plots.
This version follows a Cuban-American family inspired by real people that reflect personal experiences and makes the presentation more relatable and hilarious.
This show received tons of praise from the audience and press for its accurate yet fun portrayal of immigrant issues in America, such as complex topics of racism and stereotypes.
Regardless of its funny delivery, this series has raised serious issues and societal concerns that should be addressed. Enjoy these One Day At A Time quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel quotes from the award-winning series.
One Day At A Time quotes from Elena
1. “If I’m being generous, the things they care about are the same things we care about.” — Elena
2. “It turns out people want to believe what they believe more than what is actually true.” — Elena
3. “Changing people’s minds about politics is hard. How did you think it was going to go?” — Elena
4. “You’re a rich, straight, cisgender white dude, you won at life!” — Elena
5. “You’re saying I’m going to go through my whole life without being oppressed at all?” — Elena
6. “You’re watching me parallel park and screaming, ‘WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE.’” — Elena
One Day At A Time quotes from Penelope
7. “Politics and family do not mix.” — Penelope
8. “I don’t have years! There’s Cubans in an Uber right now, we still have no plan! Ugh, this is so much harder than I thought.” — Penelope
9. “It’s okay to be bad at some things. Dare to suck! It’s the first step to getting good. And if you love the fashion thing, you have to keep going back, and not be afraid to be bad at it for a while. Because you’ll get better. We’re all learning. It’s a process.” — Penelope
10. “Alex, relax. You only took one class, it’s okay not to be perfect.” — Penelope
11. “Boundaries are for white people.” — Penelope
12. “So listen, I’m sorry I got so upset. But I need you to understand where I’m coming from. Money and I have never had a great relationship.” — Penelope
13. “But it’s okay for me to admit that I can still be a feminist badass and want a boyfriend.” — Penelope
14. “Actually, I’ve been talking about this in therapy, and I love being alone, it’s the best. And we’re strong women who don’t need a partner to define us.” — Penelope
15. “No matter where you hide it, kids find it. And accidents happen. And things that aren’t accidents. We have teenagers in this house. We have a gay teenager in this house. We have a veteran with PTS. This is the last house that should have a gun.” — Penelope
16. “I know what the last part sounds like, but I promise I would never do anything like that.” — Penelope
17. “You and your brother are of different shades.” — Penelope
One Day At A Time quotes from Alex
18. “It’s just… you know, there’s like… sex, right? And then the next thing you know, you’re married, and then you get a divorce, and then I’m a single mother struggling to have it all!” — Alex
19. “For once, can’t you just give me five hundred dollars without asking any questions?!” — Alex
20. “I thought that since Elena had a quince, obviously I would also be getting a party to celebrate my coming of age. This being a house of gender equality and all.” — Alex
21. “I mean everyone here is killing it! And a badass! And a strong independent woman!” — Alex
22. “I know it’s good to save money. But maybe the first time meeting my girlfriend isn’t the right time to threaten to burn this mother down.” — Alex
23. “I can’t believe you embarrassed me in front of Nora like that. For thirteen dollars, and a brownie that the waiter definitely spit on.” — Alex
24. “I want to impress her by making her think I don’t have a crazy mother.” — Alex
25. “Why don’t you do a trial run? Like, you go to the bathroom, and Syd, you try not to file a missing persons’ report.” — Alex
26. “Listen, Mom, you’re a strong independent woman who doesn’t need a man.” — Alex
27. “Now the entire team calls me ‘Butt-trunk Boy.’ They could’ve called me ‘Junk In The Trunk.’ It was right there.” — Alex
28. “Besides, tons of successful people have smoked weed. Barack Obama. Steve Jobs. Oprah.” — Alex
29. “I just need to say it. Abuelita and I are not together.” — Alex
One Day At A Time quotes from Lydia
30. “Tonight, there is a supermoon. You just take Nora’s hand and look up, and let the magic of the supermoon do the rest.” — Lydia
31. “Well, that was the plan. But after we got there I, I couldn’t do it. It was not the Cuba that I remembered. Everything was still there, but it wasn’t home anymore. I guess I wanted to walk back into a photograph, but you never can. Berto wanted his final resting place to be at home, and I realized that wherever we are, is home. Berto belongs with us.” — Lydia
32. “Yes, Papito is a beautiful caramel, and you are… Wonder Bread.” — Lydia
33. “I’m going to spoon you.” — Lydia
34. “Leslie and Lydia, Leslie and Lydia, we’re just good friends!” — Lydia
35. “Jesus and Santa were cousins, everybody knows this!” — Lydia
36. “The condiment or the dance? I am equipped for both.” — Lydia
37. “I don’t want to outshine the bride. Just kidding. Yes, I do.” — Lydia
38. “I was the iPhone of my time.” — Lydia
39. “No. God is a man. If he were a woman there would be less problems.” — Lydia
40. “And I’m just a narrow-minded homophelopian.” — Lydia
41. “I know you are sad about losing your girlfriend, but you are really pooping this party.” — Lydia
42. “I came out of the womb wearing stilettos.” — Lydia
43. “My body belongs to God and my husband’s ghost.” — Lydia
One Day At A Time quotes from Syd
44. But no high school couples make it through college. Are we just fooling ourselves? We don’t wanna be those people. — Syd
45. “Me gay too!” — Syd
46. “Fifteen possible girls would be a great name for a genderqueer punk band.” — Syd
47. “It’s too 90s.” — Syd
48. “Don’t be silly Miss Alvarez, I don’t have telekinetic powers. No matter how hard I try.” — Syd
49. “I’m homeschooled and my parents are holding football tryouts for my brother.” — Syd
50. “I think you’re the most beautiful girl in the world, and I can’t believe you’re heart is even more beautiful.” — Syd
Which of these One Day At A Time quotes is your favorite?
The series portrays the normal everyday life of an immigrant family in America, with each character going through their own journey and issues in life.
It follows the story of Penelope, a US army nurse veteran starting a new life with her two kids and her mother.
The story is so engaging, it can make you feel attached to the characters and may even make you want to be a part of some crazy hilarious family that values their bond and kinship more than anything else.
After reading these One Day At A Time quotes and sayings, check out your loved ones and start small conversations that put everyone at ease.
November 7, 2021 7:00 AM EST