Passive aggressive quotes are inspiring and outrageous at the same time.
People usually show passive aggressive behavior when they lack self-esteem or feel insecure.
In some cases, people also exhibit this kind of behavior to counter anxiety, stress, or depression.
In this article, we have rounded up the best possible passive aggressive quotes for you.
However, before going to the quotes section, let’s share some words about passive-aggressive behavior.
What is Passive Aggressive Behavior?
A person with passive behavior lets another person take control.
On the other hand, people with aggressive behavior are always ready to enter into a confrontational dispute.
When people are passive-aggressive, they try to control situations in a less recognizable or less direct method.
According to American Psychological Association (APA), passive-aggressive behavior appears to be accidental, innocuous, or neutral.
Yet it unconsciously displays the aggressive motive of the passive-aggressive person.
Causes of Passive-Aggressive Behavior
Below are the key elements that usually contribute to passive-aggressive behavior.
- Mental health condition
- Social conditions and social dynamics
- Confrontation or discomfort
Now that you know a little more about the behavior, check out these passive-aggressive quotes.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Top 10 Passive Aggressive Quotes
Do you struggle with being passive-aggressive or have people in your life who struggle with it? Then, these quotes will speak to you.
1. “I’m not passive-aggressive. If something bothers me, I think about it, then I act on it. I express it.” – Anton Yelchin
2. “The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room.” – Frank Lucas
3. “A passive-aggressive behavior would never lead to real solutions.” – Signe Whitson
4. “Passive Aggression – Being covertly spiteful with the intent of inflicting mental pain.” – Ashta-Deb
5. “Love difficult people. You’re one of them.” – Bob Goff
6. “Passive-aggressive behavior creates distance in a relationship because issues and problems of an increasingly bothering nature are not discussed.” – Preston Ni
7. “Passive-aggressive people consistently make you feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster.” – Izey Victoria Odiase
8. “Sometimes it’s not the people who change, it’s the mask that falls off.” – Haruki Murakami
9. “I think I have some anger-management issues, and they end up coming out in these passive-aggressive songs that sound happy.” – Sara Bareilles
10. “My mom is very good at being passive-aggressive, and my dad is a total wiseass, so I think the mixture of the two of them is my comedy. But, I am definitely the first comedian in my family.” – Amy Schumer
Passive Aggressive Quotes to Help you Change
Passive aggressive behavior is not an effective way to build relationships. These quotes can help inspire change to have a more positive experience.
11. “Not doing anything is doing something and choosing to look away is a passive but no less mortal sin.” – Bill Maher
12. “Never judge someone until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do judge him, you’re a mile away and you have his shoes.” – Emo Philips
13. “Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.” – Mahatma Gandhi
14. “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out.” – Robert Tew
15. “You are free to choose, but you are not free to alter the consequences of your decisions.” – Ezra Taft Benson
16. “Passive pleasure is no pleasure at all.” – Arthur Adamov
17. “Fine! He is passive-aggressive with me, and it’s gonna backfire; I’m gonna be active friendly.” – Natalya Vorobyova
18.“Anger’s like a battery that leaks acid right out of me. And it starts from the heart until it reaches my outer me.” – Criss Jami
19. “I’d rather have an enemy who admits that they hate me than a friend who secretly puts me down.” – Karen Salmansohn
20. “Dealing with passive-aggressive people will make you feel like your on a dangerous and emotional ride.” – Izey Victoria Odiase
Interesting Passive Aggressive Quotes
There are many different reasons why people might be passive-aggressive but none of them are good excuses to interact with others in this way. Here are some thoughts on this type of behavior.
21. “Passive-aggressive personality unable to express aggression directly, these people express hostility indirectly.” – David Walter Rousch
22. “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” – Bernard M. Baruch
23. “Passive-aggressive behavior is counterproductive. Communication is key to a healthy personal and work relationship.” – Izey Victoria Odiase
24. “I have to say passive aggression gets a bad rap these days. It may not be appropriate in all occasions, but it’s a lot better than aggressive aggression.” – A.J. Jacobs
25. “Passive-aggressive behavior is often seen in the people who have not learned how to express their feelings, needs, and desires to others.” – David Walter Rousch
26. “That’s passive-aggressively meant for a specific person but I don’t have the balls to actually tell them or anyone else how I feel to their face.” – Albert Einstein
27. “In the hands of a passive-aggressive person who wants to abdicate responsibility for things, texting is a great tool. You can really go nuts.” – Daniel Mallory Ortberg
28. “Passive-aggressive behavior seems to be one step ahead of his or her supervisor, the youth can cause tremendous headaches for authority figures.” – David Walter Rousch
29. “When introverts are in conflict with each other…it may require a map in order to follow all the silences, nonverbal cues and passive-aggressive behaviors!” – Adam S. McHugh
30. “You guys are so caught up in your polished images and your passive-aggressive comments that no one ever comes right out and says anything. Well, I’m going to.” – Richelle Mead
Passive Aggressive Quotes you would Love
Instead of being passive-aggressive, we can choose to be honest and kind to others. These quotes paint a picture of why your behavior matters.
31. “I choose to spend my time with people who have no hidden agenda, who don’t use passive-aggressive behaviors, and who don’t look for a reason to get offended.” – Barrie Davenport
32. “You cannot become a peacemaker without communication. Silence is a passive-aggressive grenade thrown by insecure people that want war, but they don’t want the accountability of starting it.” – Shannon L. Alder
33. “Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster. Your life will never be the same again.” – Og Mandino
34. “Your life was meant for more than being a life-long doormat for deadbeats, losers, gossipers, naysayers, dream-crushers, energy vampires, users, abusers, ragers, and passive-aggressive backstabbers.” – Bryant McGill
35. “Stopping mid-sentence is the worst thing people can do. It’s, like, totally passive-aggressive, because you can’t take issue with anything they’ve said. You have to take issue with what you think they were going to say.” – Sophie Kinsella
36. “People may be able to relate to your pain, but that doesn’t make your behavior excusable.” – Steve Maraboli
37. “Fruit of passive-aggressive people. These people resist demands by indirect tactics. They will not take responsibility for their own choices; instead, they turn around and blame someone else for making them do it.” – Henry Cloud
38. “Be grateful for the people who give you a hard time. They show you exactly how you don’t want to be.” – Kush And Wizdom
39. “Never retreat. Never explain. Get it done and let them howl.” – Benjamin Jowett
40. “Although I express myself with some degree of pleasantry, the purport of my words is entirely serious.” Robert Louis Stevenson
Passive Aggressive Quotes for Every Occasion
While being passive aggressive is not the best way to communicate with others. Instead, you can choose to be honest and confront people up front. It’s more effective for both parties.
41. “There’s a reason why people meet. It can be a good thing or a bad thing.” – Frank Ocean
42. “Love means putting in the work. If not, you may as well be stealing.” – Nassim Nicholas Taleb
43. “Some passive aggressive people are so good at what they do that when they’re talking to people they are never saying anything.” – Richelle Mead
44. “Self-centered people only look out for themselves. For some reason, they are surprised they are by themselves.” – Steve Maraboli
45. “You shouldn’t say the word “maybe” when you want to say the word “no”.” – Paulo Coelho
46. “The worst part about getting older is that while you’re feeling young on the inside, no one can tell that from the outside.” – Matt King
47. “Passive aggressive people are never responsible for what they do. They blame people for making them do the things they do. They tend to go along with doing things that they aren’t interested in doing and then complain about it behind that person’s back.” – Henry Cloud
48. “People who feel the need to take over other people’s lives keep their feelings to themselves. Since they do this, they feel rejected and their feelings come out in bad ways. They become very unpleasant people to be around.” – Judith Orloff
49. “It’s better to have people admit their true feelings than have a friend who puts a knife in your back.” – Unknown
50. “You can see how a person really is when they no longer need you.” – Unknown
What Do You Like about these Passive Aggressive Quotes?
Learning how to deal with passive-aggressive people can be a helpful skill in life.
Reminding yourself to stay calm when interacting with them can be helpful.
It’s also helpful to learn how to set healthy boundaries if you are in any type of relationship with someone who engages in passive-aggressive behavior.
When you have gone through our round-up of passive-aggressive quotes, choose a few that you can use as reminders in your daily life.
Share with us which passive-aggressive quote was most eye-opening for you in the comments. And don’t forget to share them with your friends on social media too!
September 23, 2022 8:00 AM EST