These Paul Harvey quotes will help you get a better feel for the man that shared “The Rest of the Story” with the world.
Paul Harvey was a popular American radio broadcaster for much of his life.
His voice and message was shared across 400 network stations, 300 newspapers, and 1,200 radio stations.
While he ended up being a voice that many people recognized, he got his start on radio by reading commercials when he was still young.
He continued to move up in the news station over the years.
After serving a stint in World War II before being discharged, he ended up back in broadcasting where he started using the tagline “The rest of the story” in 1946 which he became famously known for.
He eventually had a program called The Rest of the Story which shared backstories on events and people that you might not have heard before.
Don’t forget to also check out these legendary Larry King quotes from America’s talk show host.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
Best Paul Harvey quotes to inspire you
1. “I have never seen a monument erected to a pessimist.” ― Paul Harvey
You will also enjoy our article on The 100 quotes.
2. “Growth is the process of responding positively to change.” ― Paul Harvey
3. “The years don’t always add wisdom, but they do add perspective.” ― Paul Harvey
4. “Luck is a word used to describe the success of people you don’t like.” ― Paul Harvey
5. “When your outgo exceeds your income, the upshot may be your downfall.” ― Paul Harvey
6. “Ever since I made tomorrow my favorite day, I’ve been uncomfortable looking back.” ― Paul Harvey
7. “If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then 9 times out of ten it will.” ― Paul Harvey
8. “For me, success is, during this early pilgrimage, to leave the woodpile a little higher than I found it.” ― Paul Harvey
9. “Every pessimist who ever lived has been buried in an unmarked grave. Tomorrow has always been better than today, and it always will be.” ― Paul Harvey
10. “Oh, things always get better. Tomorrow will always be better. Just think about it . . . is there any time in history in which you’d rather live than now?” ― Paul Harvey
Paul Harvey quotes from “The Rest Of The Story“
11. “Now you know the rest of the story.” ― Paul Harvey
12. “Self-government won’t work without self-discipline.” ― Paul Harvey
13. “Golf is a game in which you yell ‘fore,’ shoot six, and write down five.” ― Paul Harvey
14. “Retiring is just practicing up to be dead. That doesn’t take any practice.” ― Paul Harvey
15. “We’ve drifted away from being fishers of men to being keepers of the aquarium.” ― Paul Harvey
16. “In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these.” ― Paul Harvey
17. “Everything you use in a modern lifestyle has to be made using a tool of some sort.” ― Paul Harvey
18. “The indignation of politicians is NOT a good measure of the gravity of any situation.” ― Paul Harvey
19. “Each generation imagines that we’re all going to hell. Each generation goes through a little hell and comes out heat tempered and better than before.” ― Paul Harvey
20. “Man — despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments — owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.” ― Paul Harvey
Famous Paul Harvey quotes and catchphrases
21. “If ‘pro’ is the opposite of ‘con’ what is the opposite of ‘progress’?” ― Paul Harvey
22. “I am fiercely loyal to those willing to put their money where my mouth is.” ― Paul Harvey
23. “Cut out the free feed for the boss hogs at the public trough and the spill-over they’ve been leaving us. We’ll manage.” ― Paul Harvey
24. “In small towns as well as large, good people outnumber bad people by 100 to 1. In big towns the 100 are nervous. But in small towns, it’s the one.” ― Paul Harvey
25. “I was never one who sought to make the small man tall by cutting off the legs of a giant. I wanted to drag no man down to my size. Only to preserve a way of life which might make it possible for me, one day, to elevate myself until I at least partly matched his size.” ― Paul Harvey
Thought-provoking Paul Harvey quotes
26. “I just get up again when I fall down.” ― Paul Harvey
27. “Self Government won’t work without self-discipline.” ― Paul Harvey
28. “Like what you do. If you don’t like it, do something else.” ― Paul Harvey
29. “The only ones to get hurt on a roller coaster are the jumpers.” ― Paul Harvey
30. “All my life I wanted to play golf like Jack Nicklaus, and now I do.” ― Paul Harvey
31. “Paul Harvey was the most listened to man in the history of radio. … There is no one who will ever come close to him.” ― Paul Harvey
32. “Dependency arguments often come from elites – either aid agencies or governments – and say something about attitudes to poor people.” ― Paul Harvey
33. “But, as all scientists know, there is a time lag of 12 to 18 months between the time a manuscript is submitted and the time it is published in a scientific journal.” ― Paul Harvey
34. “The spirit of interdependence will not cost us more than it’s worth. On the steep slope ahead, holding hands is necessary. And it just might be that we can learn to enjoy it.” ― Paul Harvey
35. “The breath is seen to be the key between the emotional state, the mental state and physical state. It is perhaps the most important tool, and it’s one whose importance is underestimated in the West.” ― Paul Harvey
What did you learn from these Paul Harvey quotes?
Paul Harvey became well acquainted and friends with many different people throughout his life.
It’s easy to see how he would come in contact with all these different people through the work that he did.
He was connected with people like J. Edgar Hoover and Billy Graham.
He was known for including his right-wing opinion through his broadcasts along with heart-warming stories that connected with the average American.
His voice is one that many people recognize from “Hello Americans, this is Paul Harvey.
Stand by for the news.” to signing off with “Paul Harvey… Good day” or “good night” and the ever-popular, “And now you know the rest of the story.”
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Paul Harvey quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.