You’ll love these Sarah Silverman quotes from the trailblazing comedian and actress who has captivated audiences worldwide with her irreverent humor and razor-sharp wit!
Born in Bedford, New Hampshire, in 1970, she began her comedy career in the early ’90s, quickly establishing herself as a fearless and boundary-pushing performer.
With a penchant for tackling taboo subjects and a distinctive brand of satirical comedy, Silverman has earned numerous accolades, including Emmy Awards for her groundbreaking work.
She’s also spoken publicly about topics like depression and social issues, using humor to shine a light on these important topics.
Her unapologetic style and fearless social commentary have solidified her status as a comedic icon, paving the way for a new era of female comedians.
Enjoy these Sarah Silverman quotes on comedy, relationships, depression, and more.
Sarah Silverman quotes about comedy
Sarah Silverman is known for her fearless comedy style.
In these quotes, Sarah talks about her comedy approach and material.
1. “I don’t really care for, like, fat jokes about women, specifically.” — Sarah Silverman
2. “But I think you can make fun of anything as long as it’s funny enough.” — Sarah Silverman
3. “I don’t set out to offend or shock, but I also don’t do anything to avoid it.” — Sarah Silverman
4. “Some people say my humor focuses too much on stereotypes. It doesn’t. It focuses on facts.” — Sarah Silverman
5. “I think I’ve been called edgy – but in all honesty, there is a safety in what I do because I’m always the idiot.” — Sarah Silverman
6. “I never want to be in a position where I have to defend my material. It’s too subjective. It’s for other people to defend or not defend.” — Sarah Silverman
7. “I’m always writing; I’m always jotting things down on paper or making notes in my iPhone. Then I’ll make myself sit down and kind of shape it up, but there’s really no other way to practice other than onstage.” — Sarah Silverman
Is Sarah Silverman in a relationship?
While her current relationship status is unknown, she has been in a few high-profile relationships with notable celebrities.
In these Sarah Silverman quotes she shares her thoughts on relationships and building a family.
8. “If I have kids, I’ll adopt.” — Sarah Silverman
9. “You’re supposed to have friends you can tell anything to.” — Sarah Silverman
10. “I’m not the marrying type, but I always want to be with someone who is a fan.” — Sarah Silverman
11. “Men like to squash you. I just want someone who’s happy with himself, happy with his life. He doesn’t have to squash mine.” — Sarah Silverman
12. “I like my life alone. I mean, I love being with friends, and I love kissing and loving someone to pieces. But it’s hard to find someone who doesn’t ultimately start judging you and your choices.” — Sarah Silverman
Sarah Silverman quotes about growing up
Sarah Silverman has written extensively about growing up and the challenges she faced.
These quotes touch on her childhood and family life.
13. “I was always the class clown; I made my family laugh, and that was when I was always happiest.” — Sarah Silverman
14. “My dad loves to be talked about, good or bad. He just loves it. He’s not even hearing the content, he’s just hearing him.” — Sarah Silverman
15. “Growing up, I always loved Disney movies, but the first movie I remember seeing is ‘Sleepers,’ so I wasn’t really taken to children’s movies.” — Sarah Silverman
16. “I think maybe I became funny because as a kid, I was a Jew in a town of no Jews, and being funny just instinctively came about as a way to put people at ease around me.” — Sarah Silverman
17. “As a kid, I was terrified. I was a bed wetter, and I had to go to sleepaway camp every summer, which was humiliating and terrifying. I had lots of insecurities and scaredness.” — Sarah Silverman
Is Sarah Silverman Jewish?
Yes, and it’s something she often talks about on stage.
These Sarah Silverman quotes reflect how being Jewish has impacted her life and comedy.
18. “I’m Jewish, but I’m totally not.” — Sarah Silverman
19. “I have a ton of Holocaust stuff, and some of it is really hardcore.” — Sarah Silverman
20. “I have no religion, but I can’t escape being extremely Jewish ethnically – that is, culturally. In other words, I’m not religious, but I worry, and I’m neurotic. And I’m very good with money.” — Sarah Silverman
21. “I just think of myself as a comedian, really. I mean, I talk about being Jewish a lot. It’s funny because I do think of myself as Jewish ethnically, but I’m not religious at all. I have no religion.” — Sarah Silverman
22. “I’m a very ritualistic person. I have to wash my face twice, and on the second wash before I rinse, I brush my teeth, then I rinse, then I floss, then I put on moisturizer. I’m ritualistic. Jewishness is very ritualistic.” — Sarah Silverman
Quotes about depression
Sarah Silverman has spoken openly about living with depression.
Here are a few Sarah Silverman quotes in which she shares her experience and thoughts on depression.
23. “I had a lot of depression as a kid.” — Sarah Silverman
24. “I will always try to be happy. I don’t think people really understand the value of happiness until they know what it’s like to be in that very, very dark place. It’s not romantic. Not even a little.” — Sarah Silverman
25. “I definitely think that prescription drugs, like antidepressants, are prescribed so cavalierly; anyone can get anything, but I need it. I do think that it needs to work hand and hand with therapy.” — Sarah Silverman
26. “The thing about depression is that, if you’re not the one who’s actually suffering from it, there’s very little you can do to be proactive. If someone in your family is depressed, all you can really do is send them to the shrink, get them their meds, be gentle, and wait.” — Sarah Silverman
Keeping Us Laughing
Sarah Silverman continues to charm audiences and share her thoughts on important issues through her comedy.
She’s been a fearless force for pushing the boundaries and has an undeniable knack for taking on tough topics with humor, sparking crucial conversations that most people shy away from.
Through her numerous stand-up specials, film, and television roles, and her acclaimed book The Bedwetter, Sarah has endeared herself to audiences and solidified her place as one of the great American comedic minds.
Do you have a favorite Sarah Silverman quote from this list?
Let us know in the comment section!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Are you looking to transform your life? If yes, these daily affirmations are perfect for you. Use them to drive positive change in your life.
Here’s how to get involved in social issues you care about. You can make things better for people in situations where they are powerless.
Increasing your dedication to work can help you advance your career, improve your financial outlook, and help you achieve goals.
Being single can certainly have its advantages, but the benefits of being in a relationship are also wonderfully fulfilling and can enhance your life in many ways.
Check out these related quote articles:
Through trials, triumphs, and the giggles in between, we are reminded of the beautiful mosaic of school life.
Here are our favorite funny motivational quotes about life, work, and becoming successful.
These Instagram bio quotes are the perfect tool for developing a clever and succinct way to describe and introduce yourself.
These profound and thought-provoking song quotes offer insights into life, love, and everything in between.