Learn more about a condition that impacts millions of people with our schizophrenia quotes.
Schizophrenia remains a prevalent and misunderstood condition.
It is a mental disorder resulting in continuous episodes of psychosis.
Reported symptoms include hallucinations, delusions, hearing voices, and social withdrawal.
Learn more about this challenging disorder with our schizophrenia quotes below.
How many people have schizophrenia?
We see schizophrenia misrepresented in movies and television all of the time.
Oftentimes, characters may exhibit schizophrenic behaviors for comedy or drama purposes.
But how many people have been diagnosed with schizophrenia?
Less than one percent of the population of planet Earth will be diagnosed with schizophrenia in their lifetime.
About 1.1 million new cases are reported annually.
Roughly 24 million cases of schizophrenia were reported globally in 2022.
There are no objective diagnostic tests for schizophrenia.
Diagnosis is based on observed behavior and psychiatric history.
Symptoms have to be present for at least six months in order for schizophrenia to be considered as a diagnosis.
Some well-known individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia are:
How does schizophrenia impact peoples’ lives?
Schizophrenia has a major impact on a person’s life.
Genetic and environmental factors can increase the chances of schizophrenia.
Many people with other health concerns, such as substance abuse disorders, depression, anxiety, or obsessive-compulsive disorder, are prone to schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia can lead to altered perceptions, moods, and behaviors.
Symptoms can be both positive and negative, depending on the person.
The symptoms can impact a person’s physical and mental health.
Schizophrenia can also negatively impact relationships.
Is schizophrenia manageable?
Schizophrenia can be difficult to manage because triggers and episodes vary for each individual.
Healthcare professionals prescribe antipsychotic drugs such as haloperidol, fluphenazine, and chlorpromazine to treat schizophrenia.
Other healthcare professionals recommend holistic solutions such as meditation, stress reduction, and improved diet to help schizophrenia.
To learn more, check out our schizophrenia quotes below.
Short Schizophrenia quotes about awareness
Let’s start our journey with these schizophrenia quotes about an increasingly prevalent condition.
1. “I didn’t consider myself a drifter; I was just a victim of schizophrenia.” — Lionel Aldridge
2. “Hallucinations, including hearing voices, are a common symptom of schizophrenia.” — Alta Lom
3. “I think that I’m a better problem-solver because of my schizophrenia.” — Cecilia McGough
4. “If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.” — Thomas Szasz
5. “I was diagnosed with everything from schizophrenia to multiple personality disorder.” — Darrell Hammond
6. “Schizophrenia beats dining alone.” — Oscar Levant
7. “Schizophrenia demons live in my head.” — Wesley Willis
8. “Yes, my schizophrenia is a life condition.” — Bethany Yeiser
9. “Schizophrenia is hearing voices, not doing voices.” — Maria Bamford
10. “But I do not see my schizophrenia as a life sentence.” — Bethany Yeiser
The top schizophrenia quotes about overcoming stereotypes
Schizophrenia is a misunderstood condition that some naysayers deny.
11. “Living with schizophrenia requires immense courage and resilience.” ― Dr. Rameez Shaikh
12. “Living with and navigating schizophrenia can be filled with pain and fear.” — Taylor Transtrum
13. “People with schizophrenia can also live fulfilling, beautiful, loving, joyful and impactful lives.” — Taylor Transtrum
14. “If you are living with schizophrenia or know someone with schizophrenia, treatment and support is available.” — Taylor Transtrum
15. “There is no such condition as schizophrenia, but the label is a social fact and the social fact a political event.” — R. D. Laing
16. “There are a number of things that family and friends can do to help a person with schizophrenia.” — Milt Greek, Schizophrenia
17. “There is a naughty boy in me that comes out sometimes, an alter ego. Not like schizophrenia, more like, creatively.” — R. D. Laing
18. “I needed to put two critical ideas together: that I could both be mentally ill and lead a rich and satisfying life.” — Elyn R. Saks, The Center Cannot Hold
19. “Since schizophrenia is a chronic illness, treatment should be ongoing and long-term to manage and reduce schizophrenic episodes.” — Taylor Transtrum
20. “Schizophrenia runs in the family. Tricky. It’s been insane. From Whitey Bulger to the Mad Hatter, you can imagine the schizophrenia.” — Johnny Depp
The best schizophrenia quotes about mental illness
Unlike other similar conditions, schizophrenia has treatment options.
21. “I like to say schizophrenia is like a waking nightmare.” — Elyn Saks
22. “The schizophrenic mind is not so much split as shattered.” — Elyn Saks
23. “In our age, there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.” — George Orwell
24. “As well as being one of the worst things that can happen to a human being, schizophrenia can also be one of the richest learning and humanizing experiences life offers.” — Mark Vonnegut
25. “There are things that tend to moderate with age. Schizophrenia is somewhat like that.” — John Forbes Nash, Jr.
26. “Schizophrenia can happen to anyone, from your next-door neighbor to Nobel Prize winners, celebrities, prominent writers, artists, and some of the world’s greatest thinkers.” — Taylor Transtrum
27. “I have schizophrenia. I am not schizophrenia. I am not my mental illness. My illness is a part of me.” — Jonathan Harnisch
28. “My parents are psychologists. My father is a specialist with schizophrenia, and my mother works with mostly children.” — Mikey Madison
29. “People living with schizophrenia face stigma, prejudice, and discrimination and have unjustified assumptions placed on them by others.” — Taylor Transtrum
30. “There is a direct correlation between gardening and mental health, not just to maintain good mental health but to repair it as well; that’s anything in the gamut from depression to serious brain damage, schizophrenia or autism.” — Monty Don
Schizophrenia quotes for those living with the condition
People who live with schizophrenia must have courage and tenacity.
31. “I have a son, who is a not an ordinary form of schizophrenia, but clearly, cannot take care of himself.” — James D. Watson
32. “If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia.” — Margaret Atwood
33. “Acting is not that far from mental disease: An actor works on splitting his character into others. It is like a kind of schizophrenia.” — Vittorio Gassman
34. “I guess music, particularly the blues, is the only form of schizophrenia that has organized itself into being both legal and beneficial to society.” — Alexis Korner
35. “Schizophrenia may be a necessary consequence of literacy.” — Marshall McLuhan
36. “As a medical student, I had interacted with patients suffering from neurodegeneration or acute clinical schizophrenia. It left an indelible mark on my memory.” — James Rothman
37. “I had this big dressing-up box and would just dress up as lots of characters and talk back to myself, verging on schizophrenia, I suppose, if you analyze it carefully.” — Natalie Dormer
38. “My dad died, and he wasn’t in my life because he had schizophrenia, so it’s been something that my entire family has been fighting against since I can remember.” — Rose Namajunas
39. “I believe that the human race has developed a form of collective schizophrenia in which we are not only the slaves to this imposed thought behavior, but we are also the police force of it.” — David Icke
40. “I would not dare to say that there is a direct relation between mathematics and madness, but there is no doubt that great mathematicians suffer from maniacal characteristics, delirium, and symptoms of schizophrenia. “ — John Forbes Nash, Jr.
Quotes and sayings about overcoming the symptoms
We end our list with these empathic quotes about schizophrenia.
41. “Schizophrenia cannot be understood without understanding despair.” — R. D. Laing
42. “Perhaps we are the real experts in schizophrenia. Ask us. Involve us. Acknowledge us.” — Andrew Dugmore
43. “Schizophrenia is a serious brain disorder that can affect a person’s thoughts, feelings, and actions.” — Michael Dolan
44. “Remember, a person with schizophrenia is trying to process the things that are happening.” — Mindy Tsai, Becoming Whole
45. “Schizophrenia is a mental illness that affects a person’s thoughts and actions, leading to auditory hallucinations and delusions.” — Alta Loma
46. “David Aldridge was suffering symptoms of schizophrenia, which led to years of homelessness before going into treatment.” — Alta Loma
47. “By seeing the quotes of people you admire who are going through schizophrenia, you will have a better understanding of the condition.” — Alta Loma
48. “As a child, Daryl Hammond was viciously physically abused by his mother. A doctor told his mother that he had schizophrenia and manic depression.” — Alta Loma
49. “Because there is not a lot of understanding about the causes of schizophrenia, many experts are worried that this can lead to not providing the best treatment for it.” — Alta Loma
50. “I’d like to create a lovable character for schizophrenia; it doesn’t have a celebrity spokesperson because by the time somebody’s schizophrenic, they’ve lost all their teeth.” — Maria Bamford
Increase your empathy
Schizophrenia offers us a powerful way to increase our empathy for others.
We never know what the people around us are going through or experiencing.
If we keep an open heart and choose empathy, we are capable of amazing things.
Despite its sometimes debilitating symptoms, many have found ways to manage the condition.
Learning how they cope can help us learn to traverse our own challenges.
Let us know which schizophrenia quote you found most helpful in the comment section.