Vincent Van Gogh quotes to help you find beauty in whatever you do.
Vincent Van Gogh is among the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art.
Though he did not have any formal training and battled mental illness, Van Gogh made a significant contribution to the foundations of modern art.
His works highly influenced 20th-century art and are among the world’s most expensive paintings to have ever sold at auction.
Despite struggling to make ends meet throughout his life, Van Gogh was still able to produce about 2,100 artworks in just over a decade.
In honor of the world-renowned artist, below is our collection of beautiful, inspirational, and memorable Vincent Van Gogh quotes, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes about love, stars and life
1. “I dream of painting and then I paint my dream.” – Vincent Van Gogh
2. “I would rather die of passion than of boredom.” – Vincent Van Gogh
3. “There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.” – Vincent Van Gogh
4. “There is no blue without yellow and without orange.” – Vincent Van Gogh
5. “Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter’s soul.” – Vincent Van Gogh
6. “What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?” – Vincent Van Gogh
7. “For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.” – Vincent Van Gogh
8. “I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.” – Vincent Van Gogh
9. “I’m drawing a great deal and think it’s getting better.” – Vincent Van Gogh
10. “Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” – Vincent Van Gogh
11. “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes About Love
12. “Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.” – Vincent Van Gogh
13. “It is good to love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done.” – Vincent Van Gogh
14. “Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.” – Vincent Van Gogh
15. “I don’t know anything with certainty, but seeing the stars makes me dream.” – Vincent Van Gogh
16. “A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke.” – Vincent Van Gogh
If you’re enjoying this article, you’ll love our collection of Bob Ross quotes on art and life.
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes About Nature
17. “…and then, I have nature and art and poetry, and if that is not enough, what is enough?” – Vincent Van Gogh
18. “I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.” – Vincent Van Gogh
19. “Close friends are truly life’s treasures. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves. With gentle honesty, they are there to guide and support us, to share our laughter and our tears. Their presence reminds us that we are never really alone.” – Vincent Van Gogh
20. “Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes about the stars and starry night
21. “I now consider myself to be at the beginning of the beginning of making something serious.” – Vincent Van Gogh
22. “Occasionally, in times of worry, I’ve longed to be stylish, but on second thought I say no—just let me be myself—and express rough, yet true things with rough workmanship.” – Vincent Van Gogh
23. “I’ll start with small things.” – Vincent Van Gogh
24. “As you can see, I am immersing myself in color—I’ve held back from that until now; and I don’t regret it.” – Vincent Van Gogh
25. “I assure you that there’s a lot involved in compositions with figures. … It’s like weaving… you must control and keep an eye on several things at once.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes about flowers and landscapes
26. “For the great doesn’t happen through impulse alone, and is a succession of little things that are brought together.” – Vincent Van Gogh
27. “Sometimes I long so much to do landscape, just as one would go for a long walk to refresh oneself, and in all of nature, in trees for instance, I see expression and a soul.” – Vincent Van Gogh
28. “I haven’t got it yet, but I’m hunting it and fighting for it, I want something serious, something fresh—something with soul in it! Onward, onward.” – Vincent Van Gogh
29. “Drawing is the root of everything, and the time spent on that is actually all profit.” – Vincent Van Gogh
30. “I’ve just kept on ceaselessly painting in order to learn painting.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes about life
31. “I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate.” – Vincent Van Gogh
32. “As we advance in life it becomes more and more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed.” – Vincent Van Gogh
33. “One may have a blazing hearth in one’s soul and yet no one ever comes to sit by it. Passersby see only a whisp of smoke rising from the chimney and continue on their way.” – Vincent Van Gogh
34. “You can’t be at the Pole and at the Equator at the same time. You must choose your own line, as I hope to do, and it will probably be colour.” – Vincent Van Gogh
35. “Suffice it to say that black and white are also colors… for their simultaneous contrast is as striking as that of green and red, for instance.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes about painting
36. “I am crazy about two colors: carmine and cobalt. Cobalt is a divine color and there is nothing so beautiful for creating atmosphere. Carmine is as warm and lively as wine… the same with emerald green.” – Vincent Van Gogh
37. “I believe that one thinks much more soundly if the thoughts arise from direct contact with things, than if one looks at things with the aim of finding this or that in them.” – Vincent Van Gogh
38. “Still, there is a calm, pure harmony, and music inside of me.” – Vincent Van Gogh
39. “I do not know myself how I paint it. I sit down with a white board before the spot that strikes me. I look at what is before my eyes, and say to myself, that white board must become something.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes about art and love
40. “As a suffering creature, I cannot do without something greater than I – something that is my life – the power to create.” – Vincent Van Gogh
41. “But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.” – Vincent Van Gogh
42. “I am still far from being what I want to be, but with God’s help I shall succeed.” – Vincent Van Gogh
43. “Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence.” – Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Van Gogh quotes about becoming a star
44. “I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.” – Vincent Van Gogh
45. “The way to know life is to love many things.” – Vincent Van Gogh
46. “The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.” – Vincent Van Gogh
47. “I am an artist… It’s self-evident that what that word implies is looking for something all the time without ever finding it in full. It is the opposite of saying, ‘I know all about it. I’ve already found it.’ As far as I’m concerned, the word means, ‘I am looking. I am hunting for it. I am deeply involved.” – Vincent Van Gogh
48. “Though I am often in the depths of misery, there is still calmness, pure harmony and music inside me. I see paintings or drawings in the poorest cottages, in the dirtiest corners. And my mind is driven towards these things with an irresistible momentum.” – Vincent Van Gogh
49. “So let us go forward, quietly, each on his own path, forever making for the light.” – Vincent Van Gogh
50. “When I have a terrible need of – shall I say the word – religion. Then I go out and paint the stars.” – Vincent Van Gogh
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of painting quotes about the power of creating with color.
Vincent Van Gogh Quotes about human nature
51. “There is peace even in the storm.”― Vincent van Gogh
52. “Keep your love of nature, for that is the true way to understand art more and more.”― Vincent van Gogh
53. “There may be a great fire in our soul, yet no one ever comes to warm himself at it, and the passers-by see only a wisp of smoke.”― Vincent van Gogh
54. “Let’s not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it.”― Vincent van Gogh
55. “To suffer without complaint is the only lesson we have to learn in this life.”― Vincent van Gogh
56. “What preys on my mind is simply this one question: what am I good for, could I not be of service or use in some way?”― Vincent van Gogh
57. “I will not live without love.”― Vincent Van Gogh
58. “I take great care of myself by carefully shutting myself away.”― Vincent van Gogh
59. “I confess I do not know why, but looking at the stars always makes me dream.”― Vincent Van Gogh
60. “I hope to depart in no other way than looking back with love and wistfulness and thinking, oh paintings that I would have made..”― Vincent van Gogh
More Vincent Van Gogh quotes
61. “If I am worth anything later, I am worth something now. For wheat is wheat, even if people think it is a grass in the beginning.” – Vincent van Gogh
62. “I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart.” – Vincent van Gogh
63. “I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.” – Vincent Van Gogh
64. “Don’t lose heart if it’s very difficult at times, everything will come out all right and nobody can, in the beginning, do as he wishes.” – Vincent van Gogh
65. “I think that I still have it in my heart someday to paint a bookshop with the front yellow and pink in the evening…like a light in the midst of the darkness.” – Vincent Van Gogh
66. “Seek only light and freedom and do not immerse yourself too deeply in the worldly mire.” – Vincent van Gogh
67. “The more you love, the more you suffer.” – Vincent van Gogh
68. “And the memories of all we have loved stay and come back to us in the evening of our life. They are not dead but sleep, and it is well to gather a treasure of them.” – Vincent van Gogh
69. “But you must love with a high, serious intimate sympathy, with a will, with intelligence, and you must always seek to know more thoroughly, better, and more.” – Vincent van Gogh
70. “Love always causes trouble, that’s true, but in its favor, it energizes.” – Vincent van Gogh
Which of these Vincent Van Gogh quotes was your favorite?
Vincent Van Gogh was a great artist whose work highly influenced 20th-century art.
Although he lived desperately poor and lost his hope for human affection, Van Gogh will always be remembered as one of the most prolific artists of the post impressionism era.
We hope his words will help you connect with your dreams.
Did you enjoy these Vincent Van Gogh quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
May 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST