Check out these misunderstood quotes and see if you can relate or if it helps you relate to someone else who might be misunderstood.
Being misunderstood means that you are not perceived as you mean to be or that people have the wrong idea about you or your thoughts or feelings.
When you are misunderstood, it is a lonely feeling, and here are some reasons that people are misunderstood:
- Not voicing your opinions or sticking up for yourself.
- You are “different” than the majority of people around you.
- You have a hard time being yourself and worry too much about what others think.
- If you are not good at identifying social cues.
- Your introverted nature is misunderstood as someone who thinks they are better than others or doesn’t care.
Take a look at these misunderstood quotes to see if you can relate to these quotes.
Famous Misunderstood Quotes
Check out these famous quotes.
1. “To be great is to be misunderstood.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. “I’m a misunderstood genius. Nobody thinks I’m a genius.” — Bill Watterson
4. “It’s dreadful what little things lead people to misunderstand each other.” — L.M. Montgomery
5. “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” — Elbert Hubbard
6. “The price of being misunderstood, he thought. They call you devil, or they call you god.” — Richard Bach
7. “The point was to learn what it was we feared more: being misunderstood or being betrayed.” — Adam Levin
8. “Nowadays, saying what you really think can be a serious error since one risks being misunderstood.” — Oscar Wilde
9. “Most of the things I do are misunderstood. Hey, after all, being misunderstood is the fate of all true geniuses, is it not?” — Howard Stern
10. “Even if there are instances in which it can be mistaken by onlookers, never fool yourself into using misunderstood genius as an excuse to be a fool.” — Criss Jami
Heartfelt Misunderstood Quotes
These misunderstood quotes are from the heart.
11. “Friends ask you questions; enemies question you.” — Criss Jami
12. “Nothing in this world is complicated, only misunderstood.” — Chloe Gong
13. “All I wanted was to live a life where I could be me, and be okay with that.” — Charlotte Eriksson
14. “We’re all islands shouting lies to each other across seas of misunderstanding.” — Rudyard Kipling
15. “I have nothing to explain. As for being misunderstood, I have grown accustomed to that.” — Fan Bingbing
16. “I’m quite comfortable now with being misunderstood. Just go on, and do what I’ve got to do.” — Irvine Welsh
17. “I never understood people very well anyway, and they never seemed to understand me very well either.” — Charlotte Eriksson
18. “You cannot explain to someone who comes with no idea of what you are talking about without being misunderstood.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
19. “A writer who is in a hurry to be understood today or tomorrow runs the danger of being misunderstood the day after tomorrow.” — Johann Georg Hamann
20. “Always remember that it is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood: there will always be some who misunderstand you.” — Karl Popper
Misunderstood Quotes About Feeling Alone or Hopeless
You can relate to these quotes when you feel like you are misunderstood and alone.
21. “It’s better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone.” — Marilyn Monroe
22. “You are never alone. You are eternally connected with everyone.” — Amit Ray
23. “Anyone would be lying if they said they didn’t get lonely at times.” — George Clooney
24. “Sometimes, all you can do is lie in bed and hope to fall asleep before you fall apart.” — William C. Hannan
25. “When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone.” — Tennessee Williams
26. “Don’t feel alone because there is always someone out there who loves you more than you can imagine.” — Anurag Prakash Ray
27. “The possibility for rich relationships exists all around you – you simply have to open your eyes, open your mouth” — Cheryl Richardson
28. “I think everybody gets lonely sometimes. I don’t know if people can ever understand how you can be in a room full of people and be lonely sometimes.” — Trey Songz
29. “Animals keep you company when you’re really lonely. It helps because when you have a friend around who always likes you no matter what – it’s harder to feel bad or down.” — Aaron Carter
30. “Half of the time, I don’t know what they’re talking about; their jokes seem to relate to a past that everyone but me has shared. I’m a foreigner in the world, and I don’t understand the language.” — Jean Webster
Misunderstood Quotes About Persevering Through the Misunderstanding
Don’t let being misunderstood hold you back!
31. “The fear of being misunderstood is the beginning of mediocrity.” — Ogwo David Emenike
32. “Nothing is easier than for two people in love to misunderstand each other.” — Marty Rubin
33. “Peace is built on understanding, and wars are built on misunderstandings.” — Suzy Kassem
34. “Creative people are often found either disagreeable or intimidating by mediocrities.” — Criss Jami
35. “Every deep thinker is more afraid of being understood than of being misunderstood.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
36. “Always say exactly what you feel. People are hurt more by misunderstanding than anything else.” — Louise Fitzhugh
37. “Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.” — Dream Hampton
38. “So get comfortable with being misunderstood, disparaged, or ignored — the trick is to be too busy doing your work to care.” — Austin Kleon
39. “Believe me, I know what it’s like to feel all alone…the worst kind of loneliness in the world is isolation that comes from being misunderstood; it can make people lose their grasp on reality.” — Sienna Brooks
40. “You have to put up with the risk of being misunderstood if you are going to try to communicate. You have to put up with people projecting their own ideas, attitudes, misunderstanding you.” — Edie Sedgwick
Favorite Misunderstood Quotes
Here are some favorite misunderstood quotes.
41. “I live in terror of not being misunderstood.” — Oscar Wilde
42. “Most of the trouble in life comes from misunderstanding.” — L.M. Montgomery
43. “When you’re the only sane person, you look like the only insane person.” — Criss Jami
44. “Do not fear being misunderstood and never waste a minute thinking about your enemies.” — Elbert Hubbard
45. “Somewhere between love and hate lies confusion, misunderstanding, and desperate hope.” — Shannon L. Alder
46. “Hey there, weird kid in your high-top shoes. Sitting in the back of the class, I was just like you, Mr. Misunderstood.” — Eric Church, Mr. Misunderstood
47. “Communication is the one class no one graduates from. Even the wisest man’s words will be misinterpreted by a fool.” — Shannon L. Alder
48. “Never underestimate the social awareness and sense of reality in a quiet person; they are some of the most observant, absorbent persons of all.” — Criss Jami
49. “In the end, everyone can understand themselves only. You are the only one to which you never have to explain what you mean. Everything else is misunderstanding.” — Renate Dorrestein
50. “Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
How To Deal With Being Misunderstood
It is not easy feeling like you are alone, but the first thing that you need to do is learn who you are as a person and learn to love yourself.
When you love and respect yourself, it allows you to be okay when others don’t understand you, and it also gives you the confidence to stand up for yourself and be heard.
Try to remember not to judge others too quickly, as it may just be a case of someone being misunderstood.
Please share these misunderstood quotes with others by clicking the share button!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
There isn’t necessarily only one right path for each individual, as many roads may lead to the same destination.
What do you do when life doesn’t go as planned? Do you get a good cry and move on? Here’s how to enjoy your life during these crucial times.
Here’s how to get involved in social issues you care about. You can make things better for people in situations where they are powerless.
Wondering why some people can make things happen and others can’t? Know the other things you can do to start becoming more productive today.
Check out these related quote articles:
Feeling alone and in need of some inspiration? Check out our list of lonely quotes that will help you cope with the feeling of loneliness.
Life constantly offers valuable lessons that shape our journey and guide our growth.
Discover this treasure trove of motivational quotes to ignite your inner fire and propel you toward greatness.
Words of wisdom are helpful to anyone looking to get inspired through words that are as powerful as they are meaningful.