Even though her life was cut short, these Selena Quintanilla quotes share her words of wisdom about love and life.
Selena Quintanilla is best remembered as theQueen of Tejano music. She remains on the list of best-selling Latin singerseven though she only lived to be 23 years old. Her murder by former fan-clubpresident made world-wide news and shook many to their core.
While she was incredibly young when she was killed, she seemed to be wise beyond her years as you can tell from the quotes below that cover everything from the importance of being yourself to having successful relationships.
Here is our collection of inspirational, wise and thoughtful Selena Quintanilla quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
We also have a list of inspirational Lana Del Rey quotes that explain the woman behind the artist. Be sure to also read that.
Selena Quintanilla quotes on success
1. “When you get hard work, you get success.” – Selena Quintanilla
2. “Always believe that the impossible is always possible.” – Selena Quintanilla
3. “Anybody can be a role model.” – Selena Quintanilla
4. “With a positive attitude, you can be anything you want to be.” – Selena Quintanilla
5. “We never never thought we’d get this far, but we’re here.” – Selena Quintanilla
6. “We got laughed at. My father was told that we would never make it. It’s gradual, a growing process. It’s not like it came overnight.” – Selena Quintanilla
7. “All this is a dream to me. Everything, the applause, the fans asking for autographs, the trips, all that is a dream.” – Selena Quintanilla
8. “I’m always planning for my future. The public can support an artist or let them fall. Aside from music, I love designing. I have to put money in something I like. That is why I have been thinking of the boutiques.” – Selena Quintanilla
9. “You get a lot farther in life without drugs.” – Selena Quintanilla
10. “I lost a lot out of my teenage hood but I gained a lot too. I can’t really say that I lost because I got ahead of everyone as far as career and being more mature about business, even though I didn’t know what the heck was going on.” – Selena Quintanilla
11. “One thing is that if I ever have children later on, for sure I want my children to know Spanish. It only makes you a better person or even a smarter person to know two languages. If that barrier is not there you can cross both lines, talk to English [speaking] and Spanish [speaking] people, and it gets you a lot farther in business and personal communication.” – Selena Quintanilla
Also check out our list of the best Freddie Mercury quotes that will enrich your soul.
Selena Quintanilla quotes on hard Work
12. “You have to take what you can get when you’re getting started.” – Selena Quintanilla
13. “We went through a hard time, and we had to turn to music as a means to putting food on the table. And we’ve been doing it ever since. No regrets either.” – Selena Quintanilla
14. “When you get hard work, you get success, and we put a lot of years into it.” – Selena Quintanilla
15. “Tejano music was hard for us because I was a girl. My dad had a lot of problems while trying to set up shows for us or presentations because there are a lot of men who don’t think that women can get the attention of the public. But . . . wrong!” – Selena Quintanilla
16. “All I need to do is try and do the best that I can do.” – Selena Quintanilla
17. “Since I was small, when I was in school, I was a business girl. I would buy things to sell, gums for three cents, things like that.” – Selena Quintanilla
18. “Music is not a very stable business. You know it comes and it goes, and so does money. But your education stays with you for the rest of your life.” – Selena Quintanilla
19. “The life of an artist is not all glamorous. It’s a lot of work. A lot of people think that it’s very easy. They think you always stay in good hotels, you buy good things, but it is not like that. You have to work very hard like everybody.” – Selena Quintanilla
20. “I’m spoiled in the sense that now I get what I want but it’s because I work for it.” – Selena Quintanilla
Selena Quintanilla quotes on being true to yourself
21. “I’m very real, very sincere, and honest, and that’s how I’ll always be.” – Selena Quintanilla
22. “If you have a dream, don’t let anybody take it away.” – Selena Quintanilla
23. “I feel very proud to be Mexican.” – Selena Quintanilla
24. “I eat anything, and I’m not preoccupied with my figure. The most important is that the people accept me for my music, not for physical appearances. – Selena Quintanilla
25. “I don’t feel pressure because I’m not trying to portray something that I’m not.” – Selena Quintanilla
26. “I didn’t have the opportunity to learn Spanish when I was a girl, but it’s never too late to get in touch with your roots.” – Selena Quintanilla
27. “What I don’t like are arrogant people. We’re all equal. I don’t like it when a person assumes to be better.” – Selena Quintanilla
28. “I want to be remembered] not only as an entertainer but as a person who cared a lot and I gave the best that I could and I tried to be the best role model that I possibly could.” – Selena Quintanilla
29. “Well, when I am singing I am a completely different person. I could be very free, depending on the situation I could do what I want. I could have to deliver, as with many songs, a lot of emotion if a song is very sad as with a very happy and excited song. It depends, it depends. Compared to when I am in my, I am normal, like whomever, of the public.” – Selena Quintanilla
30. “Each person has their unique talent and I think to be in a group is an honor for me, because there aren’t many of us [female lead singers]. It’s very difficult at first because life on the road isn’t glamorous but if it’s a lot of hard work to reach your goal, the rest is easy.” – Selena Quintanilla
31. “Be at your best at all times.” – Selena Quintanilla
32. “I think I’m a very kindhearted person, I don’t like to hurt people’s feelings. If I do, it’s not intentionally and I feel a lot of people nowadays have lost that.” – Selena Quintanilla
Selena Quintanilla quotes on appreciation and gratitude
33. “The reason I’m really appreciative of everything that’s going on around me is because of the fact that I never expected it, and I want to keep that attitude.” – Selena Quintanilla
34. “I have nothing bad to say about my job. I love the public, I love to talk, get to know people, everything.” – Selena Quintanilla
35. “You wish for things to happen when you’re not doing as well and when it comes around, it’s like you wanna slow down. But you have to stop and think [about] where you came from, you appreciate it even more. It’s better to be working than not working at all.” – Selena Quintanilla
36. “They buy the records, they buy everything. And you have to be grateful to the public in that way to give autographs if they want an autograph, you give them an autograph! It’s not going to take very much of your time, I do it!” – Selena Quintanilla
37. “I admire Gloria Estefan because she opened the doors for latinos, completely. Not just for the female artists, but for the males as well. It’s the reason Jon Secada is having so much success. Before Gloria it was very difficult for Hispanics to enter the English market. She is an internationally known artist. I admire her very much.” – Selena Quintanilla
Selena Quintanilla quotes on relationships
38. “You shouldn’t care for somebody just because of the materialistic things that they have, and I’m a firm believer in that.” – Selena Quintanilla
39. “What’s cool about our family is that we don’t hold grudges and I think that’s sort of been the key to the success. Ya know we have our disagreements but whether we’re right or wrong we’ll just go and apologize. That’s just the way we are.” – Selena Quintanilla
40. “The family that plays together stays together.” – Selena Quintanilla (see more quotes about family)
41. “A lot of people may think it’s difficult to work with family, it’s not.” – Selena Quintanilla
42. “If you have the same love, the same interests, and the same respect for each other, things work out great.” – Selena Quintanilla
43. “When a child does bad things, the parents are always going to love their child even if they do something bad. They are always going to love them. It’s like that love you have within a family.” – Selena Quintanilla
44. “I also don’t like lies. I’m very honest. I’m always going to tell the truth. I don’t lie. I treat my friends the way I want to be treated.” – Selena Quintanilla
Selena Quintanilla quotes on love
45. “Ever since I was a little girl, I’d dreamed of having a big, wonderful wedding, with a long white gown and a bouquet of flowers. But my love for Chris was so strong. I couldn’t wait any longer for us to be husband and wife. I couldn’t even wear my nicest dress because that would have made my father suspicious.” – Selena Quintanilla
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of wedding quotes that celebrate love, friendship, and marriage.
46. “We were friends. I never thought I’d wanna marry a musician.” – Selena Quintanilla
47. “I give thanks to God for having in Chris [her husband] a companion, a true friend, and a good heart.” – Selena Quintanilla
Selena Quintanilla quotes on difficult situations
48. “It is difficult to believe that a loved one can mistreat you, but it is possible that you may be victim of family violence. If you are being hit, scared, or abused, you’re not alone. Family violence concerns us all.” – Selena Quintanilla
49. “Anywhere in the world you go, you find racism, discrimination. Not just in the United States, or in Texas. It’s very sad for me, but that’s the way it is. I can’t change the world by myself. I, being Hispanic, have also faced discrimination. But … the world keeps turning. Life is full of surprises. That’s all I will say.” – Selena Quintanilla
50. “I can’t dwell on the negatives. I think positively.” – Selena Quintanilla
51. “Be strong minded, and always believe that the impossible is possible.” – Selena Quintanilla
52. “People are put into your life for seasons, for different reasons, and to teach you lessons.” – Selena Quintanilla
53. “I think love is blind. You don’t see it, you don’t hear what people are saying, or what you’re saying. You don’t see what you’re doing. All you see is the person in front of you. That’s it.” – Selena Quintanilla
Put her words to work
One of the best ways to honor someone’s lifethat has passed on is to apply the wisdom they have shared to your own life.
Even though Selena Quintanilla only lived to such a young age, she had valuable tips to share that you can apply to your own life to make each day better. With hard work and determination, you can reach your goals and dreams the same way that Selena was able to reach her own.
Which of these Selena Quintanilla quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
November 27, 2019 7:15 AM EST