These Stephen Hawking quotes are truly inspirational.
Stephen Hawking was one of the greatest minds of our time.
Despite being told at 21 that he had only nine more months to live, Stephen Hawking defied all odds and lived until 76.
During his lifetime, Hawking became an internationally acclaimed physicist, cosmologist, author, and occasional TV show guest star whose intelligent wit, humor, and outlook on life remain an inspiration.
For someone who was dealt bad cards at a young age, Stephen Hawking certainly played his hand well.
Below is our collection of Stephen Hawking quotes on the nature of life, science and religion, and the universe around us.
Stephen Hawking quotes on life
1. “We each exist for but a short time, and in that time explore but a small part of the whole universe.” — Stephen Hawking
2. “Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny.” — Stephen Hawking
3. “I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first.” — Stephen Hawking
4. “Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” — Stephen Hawking
5. “Just because I do a lot of thinking doesn’t mean I don’t like parties and getting into trouble.” — Stephen Hawking
6. “I like physics, but I love cartoons.” — Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking quotes on science and religion
7. “Science is increasingly answering questions that used to be the province of religion.” — Stephen Hawking
8. “I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” — Stephen Hawking
9. “There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works.” — Stephen Hawking
10. “What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn’t prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary.” — Stephen Hawking
11. “If time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?” — Stephen Hawking
12. “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.” — Stephen Hawking
13. “What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn’t prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary.” — Stephen Hawking
14. “The idea of 10 dimensions might sound exciting, but they would cause real problems if you forget where you parked your car.” — Stephen Hawking
15. “I regard the afterlife to be a fairy story for people that are afraid of the dark.” — Stephen Hawking
16. “Most of the threats we face come from the progress we’ve made in science and technology. We are not going to stop making progress, or reverse it, so we must recognize the dangers and control them. I’m an optimist, and I believe we can.” — Stephen Hawking
17. “God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator.” — Stephen Hawking
18. “Science can lift people out of poverty and cure disease. That, in turn, will reduce civil unrest.” — Stephen Hawking
19. “Science is not only a disciple of reason but also one of romance and passion.” — Stephen Hawking
20. “Scientists have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge.” — Stephen Hawking
21. “I wouldn’t compare [scientific discoveries] to sex, but it lasts longer.” — Stephen Hawking
You might also like these positive galaxy quotes for those who wonder.
Stephen Hawking quotes that will motivate you
22. “One is always a long way from solving a problem until one actually has the answer.” — Stephen Hawking
23. “Black holes ain’t as black as they are painted. They are not the eternal prisons they were once thought. Things can get out of a black hole both on the outside and possibly to another universe. So, if you feel you are in a black hole, don’t give up—there’s a way out.” — Stephen Hawking
24. “One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning, and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don’t throw it away.” — Stephen Hawking
25. “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.” — Stephen Hawking
Which of these Stephen Hawking quotes inspired you to look up at the stars?
Hopefully, these Stephen Hawking quotes inspire you to not only look up at the stars, but to reach for them, too.
Stephen Hawking proved that no matter what curve balls life may throw at you, you can still accomplish your dreams if you are determined to really go for them.
Stephen Hawking rocked the world of physics when he discovered that, contrary to Einstein’s theory, black holes are not really black voids, but that a way out does exist.
So, if there is a way out of a black void in the depths of space, there must also be a solution to any challenge we face.
More than just a scientist, Stephen Hawking was an observer.
He observed the human race and our universe.
Though he may be gone, luckily, we still have these Stephen Hawking quotes to remind us what he learned about life, science, and the universe.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Stephen Hawking quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST