These galaxy quotes will make you understand how seemingly insignificant we are in this universe.
When you look up at the night sky, you may find yourself wondering what’s beyond.
For thousands of years, people have studied the stars and the galaxy to understand everything from agriculture, to building cities, to navigating the oceans, and even finding “matches made in heaven.”
Despite all the advancements we’ve made in technology and science, there’s still so much we don’t understand about the sky above us.
We still have many questions about the galaxy, some that we may never get the answers to.
But having a sense of wonder is good for any human being, and these galaxy quotes are a reminder of how small we really are in this vast universe
Don’t forget to also read these universe quotes celebrating our place in the cosmos.
Galaxy quotes that will elevate your mind
1. “Is it not careless to become too local when there are four hundred billion stars in our galaxy alone.” — A. R. Ammons
2. “How can you look at the galaxy and not feel insignificant?” — Ridley Scott
3. “However alert we are, antiquity remains an unknown, unanticipated galaxy.” — Donald Hall
4. “Those freckles make you seem like a galaxy of stars, just waiting to be explored and loved.” — Nikita Gill
5. “There are at least as many galaxies in our observable universe as there are stars in our galaxy.” — Martin Rees
6. “Never apologize for burning too brightly or collapsing into yourself every night. That is how galaxies are made.” — Tyler Kent White
7. “Look at the sky. We are not alone. The whole universe is friendly to us and conspires only to give the best to those who dream and work.” — A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
8. “The dancing Sun the dancing moon the dancing stars and the dancing galaxies are the direct expression of our divine Self.” — Amit Ray
9. “Our galaxy’s pretty ordinary, garden-variety. So if we believe our galaxy has a super massive black hole, that tells us that most, if not all, galaxies host such a black hole at their centers.” — Andrea M. Ghez
10. “Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.” — Stephen Hawking
Galaxy quotes that will change the way you think
11. “Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.” ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
12. “Everybody has a little bit of the sun and moon in them. Everybody has a little bit of man, woman, and animal in them. Darks and lights in them. Everyone is part of a connected cosmic system. Part earth and sea, wind and fire, with some salt and dust swimming in them. We have a universe within ourselves that mimics the universe outside. None of us are just black or white, or never wrong and always right. No one. No one exists without polarities. Everybody has good and bad forces working with them, against them, and within them. ― Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun: The Writings of Suzy Kassem
13. “I can wait for the galaxy outside to get a little kinder.” ― Becky Chambers, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
14. “Look at the stars. It won’t fix the economy. It won’t stop wars. It won’t give you flat abs, or even help you figure out your relationship. But it’s important. It helps you to remember that you and your problems are both infinitesimally small and conversely, that you are a piece of an amazing and vast universe.” ― Kate Bartolotta
15. “The near side of a galaxy is tens of thousands of light-years closer to us than the far side; thus we see the front as it was tens of thousands of years before the back. But typical events in galactic dynamics occupy tens of millions of years, so the error in thinking of an image of a galaxy as frozen in one moment of time is small.” ― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
16. “People will seek the ends of the galaxy to avoid that which they need most.” ― Criss Jami, Healology
17. “I believe, if there is some sort of higher power, the universe is it. Whenever religious people ask me where the universe came from, I tell them that it has always been here, and was never created. The Big Bang theory is based on the fact that the universe is expanding right now. And if you rewind the tape, the universe appears to be shrinking. If you rewind the tape far enough, eventually the universe must be just one singular point. Or so the theory goes. But what if the universe has not always been expanding? What if it’s pulsating, and one pulse takes trillions of years, and right now the universe is inhaling, and before that, trillions of years ago, it was exhaling?” ― Oliver Gaspirtz
18. “Entering a cell, penetrating deep as a flying saucer to find a new galaxy would be an honorable task for a new scientist interested more in the inner state of the soul than in outer space.” ― Dejan Stojanovic
19. “At every level in our inventory, nothing seems special about our Earth, our Sun, our Galaxy, our Local Group. Evidently, mediocrity reigns throughout. Such is our niche in the Universe.” ― Eric Chaisson, Epic of Evolution: Seven Ages of the Cosmos
20. “She wasn’t a constellation. She was a galaxy.” ― Nitya Prakash
Also read these incredible wrestling quotes for fans of the sport.
Galaxy quotes to motivate you
21. “Even today, more than eighty years after Oort’s bold guess, we still don’t have a clue what this dark matter is made of. We know it exists. We know where it is. We have maps of its presence within and around galaxies throughout the universe. We even have stringent constraints on what it is not, but we have no clue what it is. And yes, its presence is overwhelming: for every one kilogram of ordinary matter made out of neutrons and protons and electrons, there are five kilograms of dark matter, made out of who-knows-what.” ― Christophe Galfard, The Universe in Your Hand: A Journey Through Space, Time, and Beyond
22. “How many chances are there that in one or few of those unknown worlds, some mighty civilizations had contrived the ways to see through the past time and billions of light-years?” ― Sahara Sanders, INDIGO DIARIES: A Series of Novels
23. “Who of us, humans, at least once a lifetime, didn’t deeply fall into contemplation, standing in the darkness of such eventides beneath the constellations that are hiding different wyes and planets still hardly visible or reachable for our eyes and minds?” ― Sahara Sanders, The ADVENTURES of Emily Smith & Billy Fifer
24. “Who are we people, in all that global greatness of the space? …Considering things in the ecumenical measure, we are the microbes of the Universe.” ― Sahara Sanders, The Adventures of Emily Smith & Billy Fifer
25. “Next morning, Emma had more of unusual impressions, from the nightdream she saw before the moment she woke up: The girl flew inside some darkness, feeling really tired; soon, she decided to have a nap laying onto… some Galaxy! She was herself as big as the Universe… Or was it she the part of that macrocosm?” ― Sahara Sanders, INDIGO DIARIES: A Series of Novels
26. “If this is the case, they’d also be able to descry the stories happening on the Earth… like the one narrated in this novel.” ― Sahara Sanders, Gods’ Food
27. “What’s the point of racing around the galaxy if you aren’t going to have fun?” ― Zoraida Córdova, A Crash of Fate
28. “For us ambitious galactic travelers, exploration of other galaxies in person will forever be a dream.” ― Rajesh`, Random Cosmos
29. “We must remember that the sun is a star, but not all the stars are the sun” ― Munia Khan
30. “I live on the planet Crazy in the solar system of Delusion in the galaxy of Insanity.” ― Steven Magee
Galaxy quotes to boost your creativity
31. “Humanity is about to face the final great filter, the great filter of devastating war. Either we will emerge as a peaceful and powerful race ready the conquer the Galaxy, or we will perish and extinct, leaving the earth a dead rock in the vast endless space.” ― Ahmed Salah Al Mahdi
32. “Where in the world would a star be without the love of the sky?” ― Munia Khan
33. “The sky is but a looking glass into a pool of airless oceans, cast off into a dance of light and energy, leaving only a facet of guidance to navigate. Such an existence lays but within the mind man.” ― Indiana Lang
34. “They will say that the Universe has no purpose and no plan, that since a hundred suns explode every year in our Galaxy, at this very moment some race is dying in the depths of space. Whether that race has done good or evil during its lifetime will make no difference in the end: there is no divine justice, for there is no God.” ― Arthur C. Clarke, The Star
35. “I look at the wonders of the sky and see myself among the stars.” ― Cailah H
36. “Sometimes it seemed that one of the stars came loose from the firmament and sailed off with dizzying speed to a far corner of the night. In the dark hours before sunrise, constellations came apart and reformed and fell in burning streaks.” ― Joe Hill, The Fireman
37. “I am a star. […] I am a galaxy.” ― C.J. Redwine, The Traitor Prince
38. “Waking up in the same place in which you dozed off has never happened either to you or to anyone else. Ever. Earth does not stop moving when you sleep. Every hour that passes, Earth travels a little more than 800,000 kilometres around the centre of our galaxy. And so do you. That’s the equivalent of about twenty trips around the planet. Every hour. No one minds, though, as long as their bed stays still beneath their body.” ― Christophe Galfard, The Universe in Your Hand: A Journey Through Space, Time, and Beyond
39. “According to Thoth, because of the placement of the Great Pyramid on the Earth connecting into the Earth’s huge geometrical field – specifically the octahedral field of the Earth, which is equivalent to our own fields – and because of the pyramid’s mass and the geometries used in it, the white-light energy field spirals upward and becomes extremely strong, stretching all the way out to the center of the galaxy. The dark-light energy comes in from above, spirals through zero point and connects with the center of the Earth. In this way the Great Pyramid connects the center of the Earth to the center of our galaxy.” ― Drunvalo Melchizedek, The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life: Volume 2
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Earth Day quotes that inspire an eco-friendly lifestyle.
40. “It goes on forever and forever, and perhaps something made it. But how you can believe that something has a special interest in us and our miserable little world—that just beats me.” ― Arthur C. Clarke, The Star
Galaxy quotes to inspire you
41. “I don’t think I’m from this galaxy at all. I believe I came from the Andromeda galaxy, not so far, but far enough. Maybe that’s why I’m an outcast.’ He drew the spiral of Andromeda close to the Milky Way, almost touching. Then he pointed to Andromeda in the night sky above us. ‘Maybe that’s where I’m from too,’ my father said. We could still see the stars.” ― Hannah Lillith Assadi, Sonora
42. “There may be aliens in our Milky Way galaxy, and there are billions of other galaxies. The probability is almost certain that there is life somewhere in space.” ― Buzz Aldrin
43. “The human race may be the only intelligent beings in the galaxy.” ― Stephen Hawking
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Stephen Hawking quotes on life, religion, and the universe
44. “When you look at the stars and the galaxy, you feel that you are not just from any particular piece of land, but from the solar system.” ― Kalpana Chawla
45. “Believing takes practice.” ― Madeleine L’Engle, A Wrinkle in Time
46. “To infinity and beyond!” ― Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story
47. “Everything dies, from the smallest blade of grass to the biggest galaxy.” ― Stephen R. Donaldson
48. “I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars.” ― Stephenie Meyer, Twilight
49. “There’s as many atoms in a single molecule of your DNA as there are stars in the typical galaxy. We are, each of us, a little universe.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson, Cosmos
50. “You hold the universe in you. You hold the galaxies. Dig deeper. Find them.”― Twinkle Sharma
More galaxy quotes and sayings
51. “The world has a beginning, but the universe has no end.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
52. “Every world needs a sky. Every sky needs a star. Every star needs a galaxy. Every galaxy needs a universe.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
53. “The world is young, the sky is old, the cosmos are ancient, but the universe timeless.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
54. “It is quite the big galaxy, perspective is ever a good thing. It is small compared to the Universe, one of an estimated trillion, more perspective.” – C.A.A. Savastano
55. “A galaxy is composed of gas and dust and stars – billions upon billions of stars. Every star may be a sun to someone.” – Carl Sagan
56. “I am a being of Heaven and Earth, of thunder and lightning, of rain and wind, of the galaxies.” – Eden Ahbez
57. “We search for life on others planets and in other regions of our galaxy. Meanwhile, we destroy and ignore the other life on this planet.” – Anthony D. Williams
58. “I’ve always thought that we, as human beings, would be naive and arrogant to pretend that we’re the only life form in the galaxy.” – Jonathan Frakes
59. “Asteroids have us in our sight. The dinosaurs didn’t have a space program, so they’re not here to talk about this problem. We are, and we have the power to do something about it. I don’t want to be the embarrassment of the galaxy, to have had the power to deflect an asteroid, and then not, and end up going extinct.” – Neil deGrasse Tyson
60. “We are all stars in this galaxy. All of us. No one’s greater than the other.” – Scatman Crothers
You might also like these moon quotes that will help you see the beauty of life and inspire you to believe in your purpose.
Which of these galaxy quotes is your favorite?
There is a lot that we can learn from looking at the night sky. Even if we don’t rely on the stars as much as ancient civilizations before us did, we can still gain something just by marveling at the world above us.
And you don’t need a telescope to see the stars to understand how seemingly insignificant we are in this galaxy and in this universe.
Sometimes, when the daily stresses of life become too much for us, it’s a good idea to disconnect from everything, go outside, and just look up.
Seeing how large the galaxy is and reading these galaxy quotes can teach us not to sweat the small stuff and to be grateful for what we do have. If life ever gets too rough, just look up.
Did you enjoy these galaxy quotes and sayings? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 23, 2020 7:00 AM EST