These prosperity quotes come from some of the most successful people who have ever lived. If you want to learn how to be successful, these quotes will offer some great insight.
If you asked most people what they wanted from life, I think prosperity would rank in the top five things. It isn’t a stretch to see that people work toward a life that flourishes with possibility. We want good fortune to find us, and we are all doing something that we believe will improve our standing; whether socially or financially.
These prosperity quotes point to the correlation between adversity and prosperity. It is like love and hate, two sides of the same coin.
There are many intelligent people who have weighed in on the importance of economic prosperity. However, some of the greatest philosophers also offer some cautionary words on being prosperous.
Which of the following quotes do you think is the most powerful?
Prosperity quotes about adversity
1. “The friend in my adversity, I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.” ― Ulysses S. Grant
2. “Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters.” ― Victor Hugo
3. “Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity a greater.” ― William Hazlitt
4. “Comfort and prosperity have never enriched the world as much as adversity has.” ― Billy Graham
5. “In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends.” ― John Churton Collins
6. “Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity.” ― Aristotle
7. “Prosperity tries the fortunate, adversity the great.” ― Rose Kennedy
8. “Adversity reveals genius, prosperity conceals it.” ― Horace
9. “Adversity is sometimes hard upon a man; but for one man who can stand prosperity, there are a hundred that will stand adversity.” ― Elvis Presley
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Elvis Presley quotes that illustrate the man behind the music we all know and love.
10. “Prosperity is no just scale; adversity is the only balance to weigh friends.” ― Plutarch
11. “Memory tempers prosperity mitigates adversity, controls youth, and delights old age.” ― Lactantius
12. “Prosperity is not without many fears and distastes; adversity not without many comforts and hopes.” ― Francis Bacon
13. “A man is insensible to the relish of prosperity ’til he has tasted adversity.” ― Saadi
14. “Weak minds sink under prosperity as well as adversity, but strong and deep ones have two high tides.” ― David Hare
Prosperity quotes about economic principles
15. “Economic growth and environmental protection are not at odds. They’re opposite sides of the same coin if you’re looking at longer-term prosperity.” ― Henry Paulson
16. “As much as we need a prosperous economy, we also need a prosperity of kindness and decency.” ― Caroline Kennedy
17. “Our landscapes connect us to our history; they are the source of our character as a people, as well as our health, our safety, and our prosperity. Natural resources enrich us economically, yes. But they also enrich us aesthetically and recreationally and culturally and spiritually.” ― Robert Kennedy, Jr.
18. “You can’t spend your way to prosperity.” ― Edward C. Prescott
19. “As sure as the spring will follow the winter, prosperity and economic growth will follow recession.” ― Bo Bennett
20. “My guiding principle is that prosperity can be shared. We can create wealth together. The global economy is not a zero-sum game.” ― Julia Gillard
21. “Economic prosperity and quality education for our children are inexorably linked.” ― Jon Huntsman, Jr.
22. “We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.” ― Winston Churchill
23. “Innovation is the central issue in economic prosperity.” ― Michael Porter
24. “Fundamentally, the solution to economic insecurity is economic prosperity – an achievable goal. But for anyone who has grown up without financial security, there’s a shadow that lies over even those who move towards independence: lack of financial literacy.” ― Stacey Abrams
Prosperity quotes about community
25. “We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community… Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.” ― Cesar Chavez
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Cesar Chavez quotes from the iconic activist.
26. “Our freedom, our prosperity, and our security depend on a proper respect for the fortune of our neighbors, allies and old friends.” ― Nicholas Soames
27. “A sustainable world means working together to create prosperity for all.” ― Jacqueline Novogratz
28. “As a global community, we face a choice. Do we want migration to be a source of prosperity and international solidarity, or a byword for inhumanity and social friction?” ― Antonio Guterres
29. “Creating a structure for mutual prosperity requires lowering regional and transnational barriers to facilitate the flow of goods and promote people-to-people interactions.” ― Moon Jae-in
30. “Globalism began as a vision of a world with free trade, shared prosperity, and open borders. These are good, even noble things to aim for.” ― Deepak Chopra
Thought-provoking prosperity quotes
31. “There are many roads to prosperity, but one must be taken. Inaction leads nowhere.” ― Robert Zoellick
32. “It is easy when we are in prosperity to give advice to the afflicted.” ― Aeschylus
33. “By staying focused on what I intend to create, by believing that the universe is all-providing, and by knowing that I’m worthy of the unlimited beneficence of the Source of being, I just keep attracting prosperity to me.” ― Wayne Dyer
34. “Discouragement, fear, doubt, lack of self-confidence are the germs which have killed the prosperity and happiness of tens of thousands of people.” ― Orison Swett Marden
35. “A rich, robust, well-resourced public education is one of the best routes out of poverty and a pathway to prosperity.” ― Randi Weingarten
36. “Much effort, much prosperity.” ― Euripides
37. “The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.” ― Epicurus
38. “The philosophical point is that our happiness and wellbeing is not based on incomes rising. This is not just the wisdom of sages, but of ordinary people. Prosperity is more social and psychological: it’s about identification, affiliation, participation in society and a sense of purpose.” ― Tim Jackson
39. “If virtue promises happiness, prosperity and peace, then progress in virtue is progress in each of these for to whatever point the perfection of anything brings us, progress is always an approach toward it.” ― Epictetus
40. “Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things.” ― Eric Butterworth
41. “The trick is to make sure you don’t die waiting for prosperity to come.” ― Lee Iacocca
42. “The heart is great which shows moderation in the midst of prosperity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
43. “Prosperity makes few friends.” ― Luc de Clapiers
Prosperity quotes from America’s leaders
44. “America was indebted to immigration for her settlement and prosperity. That part of America which had encouraged them most had advanced most rapidly in population, agriculture and the arts.” ― James Madison
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of immigration quotes that explore each side of this social issue.
45. “If a country doesn’t recognize minority rights and human rights, including women’s rights, you will not have the kind of stability and prosperity that is possible.” ― Hillary Clinton
46. “I am in favor of helping the prosperity of all countries because, when we are all prosperous, the trade with each becomes more valuable to the other.” ― William Howard Taft
47. “The point in history at which we stand is full of promise and danger. The world will either move forward toward unity and widely shared prosperity – or it will move apart.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
48. “While the crash only took place six months ago, I am convinced we have now passed the worst, and with continued unity of effort, we shall rapidly recover. There is one certainty of the future of a people of the resources, intelligence and character of the people of the United States – that is, prosperity.” ― Herbert Hoover
49. “A bright future for the nation depends on the health and prosperity of rural America.” ― Kirsten Gillibrand
50. “Our goals for this nation must be nothing less than to double the size of our economy and bring prosperity and jobs, ownership and equality of opportunity to all Americans, especially those living in our nation’s pockets of poverty.” ― Jack Kemp
Which of these prosperity quotes resonated with you best?
I wish that each of us finds prosperity for ourselves, our families, and our communities. Hopefully, we have the wisdom to keep an eye out for some of the pitfalls that happen when we become prosperous. Are you seeking out more of what you want, or wanting more of what you have?
Eric Butterworths’s quote, “Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things,” underscores how related prosperity and poverty are.
Like many things in life, it comes down to our mindset, not just our actions and the results. What kind of mindset do you have when it comes to prosperity? Share your thoughts and favorite prosperity quotes and sayings in the comment section below.
November 17, 2020 7:00 AM EST