Enjoy some laughs by checking out these hilarious Steve Martin quotes!
Steve Martin is a talented artist who is known for his comedy and acting roles, but he is also a producer, a writer, and a musician.
He was born in Waco, Texas, in 1945, and after growing up watching his dad trying to make it as an actor, Martin started his Hollywood career in 1967 by writing for a comedy show.
Martin was one of the writers to win an Emmy award for his work on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, and by the 1970s, he was doing stand-up comedy and regularly appeared on Saturday Night Live.
By the later 1970s and early to mid-1980s, Martin’s acting career took off with movies such as:
- The Jerk
- Three Amigos
- Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
- All of Me
Later, people may know him from the film series:
- Father of the Bride
- Cheaper by the Dozen
He has won many awards and continues his career with the television series Only Murders in the Building.
Take a look at these funny Steve Martin quotes.
The Best Steve Martin Quotes
Check out some of the best Steve Martin quotes.
1. “Well, excuuuuuse me!” — Steve Martin
2. “Nothing I do is done by popular demand.” — Steve Martin
3. “I love comedy. That’s what got me into the arts.” —Steve Martin
4. “A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” — Steve Martin
5. “How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars.” — Steve Martin
6. “Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” — Steve Martin
7. “Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent.” — Steve Martin
8. “How many people have never raised their hand before?” — Steve Martin
9. “Comedy is the art of making people laugh without making them puke.” — Steve Martin
10. “I think I did pretty well, considering I started out with nothing but a bunch of blank paper.” — Steve Martin
Steve Martin Quotes For Fans Of Comedy
See some Steve Martin quotes for fans of comedy.
11. “Chaos in the midst of chaos isn’t funny, but chaos in the midst of order is.” — Steve Martin
12. “I just downloaded eleven hundred books onto my Kindle, and now I can’t lift it.” — Steve Martin
13. “With comedy, you have no place to go but more comedy, so you’re never off the hook.” — Steve Martin
14. “I thought yesterday was the first day of the rest of my life, but it turns out today is.” — Steve Martin
15. “I handed in a script last year, and the studio didn’t change one word. The word they didn’t change was on page 87.” — Steve Martin
16. “Yeah, well, we’re all writers, aren’t we? He’s a writer that hasn’t been published, and I’m a writer who hasn’t written anything.” — Steve Martin
17. “I happened to take a photo, and there was my wife, my dog, and my banjo, all in the same shot – and I thought, ‘Oh, that’s like a family portrait right there.’” — Steve Martin
More Steve Martin Quotes
Here are more Steve Martin quotes.
18. “I never thought about success. I always thought about doing the job at hand.” — Steve Martin
19. “The banjo is truly an American instrument, and it captures something about our past.” — Steve Martin
20. “I don’t think anyone is ever writing so that you can throw it away. You’re always writing it to be something.” — Steve Martin
21. “I think there are people out there writing original bluegrass songs, but it’s hard to get them out on the air.” — Steve Martin
22. “I just believe that the interesting time in a career is pre-success, what shaped things, how did you get to this point.” — Steve Martin
23. “Throughout my whole life as a performer, I’ve never played with a band. I’ve always played alone, so I was never required to stay in rhythm or anything.” — Steve Martin
24. “I first thought maybe I’d do a banjo presentation record, where I’d play a couple of songs and get a bunch of other players to do the rest. Then I realized I had enough of my own songs to do an album of them.” — Steve Martin
25. “The thing about the banjo is, when you first hear it, it strikes many people as ‘What’s that?’ There’s something very compelling about it to certain people; that’s the way I was; that’s the way a lot of banjo players and people who love the banjo are.” — Steve Martin
Steve Martin’s Personal Life
Steve Martin has been divorced once after his 12-year marriage to Victoria Tennant ended but has been married to Anne Stringfield since 2007, and they have one daughter.
Martin is an avid art collector and has given time to tour on a USO trip for the U.S. military.
Please share these Steve Martin quotes with others by clicking the share button!