Check out these Till We Have Faces quotes to see some quotes from the famous author C.S. Lewis’s last book.
Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold is the last book written by C.S. Lewis.
The book was published by Geoffrey Bles in 1956 and is the retelling of the myth of Cupid and Psyche.
When the book was released, Lewis felt that this was his best work, and the New York Times and legendary author J.R.R. Tolkien agreed with his assessment.
The book is broken up into two parts, and each part is told by Psyche’s older sister Orual.
Orual is angry at the gods in the first part and reflective and understanding in the second part.
Take a look at these Till We Have Faces quotes to learn more about Lewis’ last book.
The Best Till We Have Faces Quotes
Check out some of the best Till We Have Faces quotes.
1. “Those who love must hurt.” — C.S. Lewis
2. “I was with book, as a woman is with child.” — C.S. Lewis
3. “Don’t mar what you’ve learnt you can’t make.” — C.S. Lewis
4. “But who can feel ugly when their heart feels joy?” — C.S. Lewis
5. “For indeed it now feels not like going, but like going back.” — C.S. Lewis
6. “It was as bitter a truth as I’d ever tasted, but I drank it.” — C.S. Lewis
7. “By remembering it too often, I have blurred the memory itself.” — C.S. Lewis
8. “No man can be an exile if he remembers that all the world is one city.” — C.S. Lewis
9. “I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer.” — C.S. Lewis
10. “…you won’t understand the wonder and glory of my adventure unless you listen to the bad part.” — C.S. Lewis
Thought-Provoking Till We Have Faces Quotes
Here are some thought-provoking Till We Have Faces quotes.
11. “Lightly men talk of saying what they mean.” — C.S. Lewis
12. “But do you, even you, know all? Are there no things—I mean things—but what we see?” — C.S. Lewis
13. “Don’t you think a dream would feel shy if it were seen walking about in the waking world?” — C.S. Lewis
14. “My anger protected me only for a short time; anger wearies itself out, and truth comes in.” — C.S. Lewis
15. “I was wrong to weep and beg and try to force you by your love. Love is not a thing to be so used.” — C.S. Lewis
16. “You don’t think – not possibly – not as a mere hundredth chance – there might be things that are real though we can’t see them?” — C.S. Lewis
17. “To say the very thing you really mean, the whole of it, nothing more or less or other than what you really mean; that’s the whole art and joy of words.” — C.S. Lewis
More Till We Have Faces Quotes
Take a look at more Till We Have Faces quotes.
18. “One thing that I told you was true. The poets are often wrong.” — C.S. Lewis
19. “Do you know what it is? There’s one part love in your heart, and five parts anger, and seven parts pride. — C.S. Lewis
20. “What I shall remember forever is the change that presently came over his face. It was to me an utter astonishment.” — C.S. Lewis
21. “I now saw, with great dismay, that what I had been carrying all this time was not a bowl but a book. This ruined everything.” — C.S. Lewis
22. “To be alone there and in silence was like coming suddenly under the lee of a wall on a wild, windy day, so that one can breathe and collect oneself again.” — C.S. Lewis
23. “Perhaps in the soul, as in the soil, those growths that show the brightest colors and put forth the most overpowering smell have not always the deepest root.” — C.S. Lewis
24. “I did not weep or wring my hands. I was like water put into a bottle and left in a cellar: utterly motionless, never to be drunk, poured out, spilled or shaken.” — C.S. Lewis
25. “But things that many see may have no taste or moment in them at all, and things that are shown only to one may be spears and water-spouts of truth from the very depth of truth.” — C.S. Lewis
What Happens in the Book?
Orual is jealous of her sister Psyche’s beauty and the fact that she feels Psyche is favored by the gods.
After she forces Psyche to leave her home with the god of the Mountain, she realizes she has ruined Psyche’s life.
Eventually, as an old woman, she realizes what her jealousy cost Psyche and also realizes that the gods were showing her mercy by treating her the same as Psyche.
Please share these Till We Have Faces quotes with others by clicking the share button!