Voting Quotes To Help Get You To The Booth
November 9, 2022 7:37 AM EST
These voting quotes from musicians like Demi Lovato and past presidents like Barack Obama will remind you to embrace your constitutional right.
Voting is a privilege we cannot take for granted.
Not long ago, people risked their lives to secure the right to vote.
Although they believed in democracy, the founding fathers of the United States endorsed severe limits on voting.
The U.S. Constitution initially left it to the states to decide who qualified to vote.
For decades, they limited voting to white male property owners.
It wasn’t until 1870 that the 15th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution ended racial barriers to voting. However, many states continued practicing voter discrimination until 1965.
It was not until 1920 that women were granted the right to vote, while 18-year-olds have only been able to vote since 1971.
Voting is one of Americans’ most important civic duties, as these voting quotes will show.
Here are a few reasons you should cast your ballot
- Voting allows you to choose your representatives. If you don’t vote, other people make the choice for you.
- Voting protects our democracy. The more people vote, the more important it is for politicians to represent voter interests.
- Voting has a direct effect on your money. Elected officials are in charge of countless budgets, which come from your taxes.
- Your vote counts. Very close margins often decide elections.
- Voting shapes social agendas and the economy.
To help get you to the booth, below is our collection of inspirational voting quotes and sayings, collected from various sources over the years.
Voting quotes on the importance of elections and democracy
1. “Every election is determined by the people who show up.” ― Larry J. Sabato
2. “There’s no such thing as a vote that doesn’t matter.” ― Barack Obama
3. “A man without a vote is a man without protection.” ― Lyndon B. Johnson
4. “Voting rights matter. They are a major part of who we are as Americans.” — Marc Veasey
5. “Voting is a fundamental right.” ― David Litt
6. “I would like to be a part, as much as I can, of the voting process,” ― Kim Cattrall
7. “Do not think your single vote does not matter much. The rain that refreshes the parched ground is made up of single drops.” ― Kate Sheppard
8. “Not voting is not a protest. It is a surrender.” ― Keith Ellison
9. “Talk is cheap, voting is free; take it to the polls…” ― Nanette L. Avery
10. “The future of this republic is in the hands of the American voter.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about voting.
Voting quotes about democracy
11. “Democracy is not just the right to vote. It is the right to live in dignity.” ― Naomi Klein
12. “The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.” ― John F. Kennedy
13. “Voter apathy was, and will remain the greatest threat to democracy.” ― Hazen Pingree
14. “The good thing about democracy is that every vote counts. The problem with democracy is that every vote counts.” ― Charbel Tadros
15. “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.” ― John Quincy Adams
16. “The greatest threats to Democracy are comfort and apathy.” ― T. Rafael Cimino
17. “We do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson
18. “Voting is fundamental in our democracy. It has yielded enormous returns.” ― Arlen Specter
19. “Democracy is about voting, and it’s about a majority vote. And it’s time that we started exercising the Democratic process.” ― Debbie Stabenow
20. “Democracy is never a thing done. Democracy is always something that a nation must be doing.” ― Archibald MacLeish
Voting quotes about being the change we want to see
21. “Resistance isn’t enough. If we want change, we have to get out the vote.” ― DaShanne Stokes
22. “Bad officials are elected by good citizens who don’t vote.” ― George Jean Nathan
23. “Vote the candidate, not the party.” ― Abhijit Naskar
24. “The ballot is stronger than the bullet.” ― Abraham Lincoln
25. “That we have the vote means nothing. That we use it in the right way means everything.”
― Lou Henry Hoover
26. “Voting is not only our right—it is our power.” ― Loung Ung
27. “Voting rights are constitutional rights.” — Jon Ossoff
28. “If you don’t vote, you lose the right to complain.” ― George Carlin
29. “We’re very pleased. The most important thing is voters know exactly what they’re voting on.” ― Dyana Mason
30. “Voting is the expression of our commitment to ourselves, one another, this country, and this world.” ― Sharon Salzberg
Powerful voting quotes
31. “Voting reflects your personal ideals.” ― Steven Magee
32. “Voting is the only way to ensure that your concerns matter. Period.” – Michelle Obama
33. “In this country people don’t vote for, they vote against.” ― Will Rogers
34. “If we don’t vote, we are ignoring history and giving away the future.” ― Pat Michell
35. “Voter apathy is a civic abdication.” ― Charles M. Blow
36. “Elections belong to the people.” ― Abraham Lincoln
37. “We can all agree on the importance of voting.” ― Jenna Bush
38. “Don’t boo—vote.” ― Barack Obama
39. “By voting, we add our voice to the chorus that forms opinions and the basis for actions.” ― Jens Stoltenberg
40. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr
More voting quotes to inspire you
41. “At the voting booth and with our dollars, each action matters.” ― Donna Maltz
42. “A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
43. “Awake, Arise and Vote.” ― Abhijit Naskar
44. “The vote is the most powerful nonviolent tool we have.” ― John Lewis
45. “Do the unexpected. Take 20 minutes out of your day, do what young people all over the world are dying to do: vote.” ― Rick Mercer
46. “We have the power to make a difference. But we need to VOTE.” ― Kylie Jenner
47. “Voting is as much an emotional act as it is an intellectual one.” ― Monica Crowley
48. “The freedom to vote is the freedom that unlocks all others.” ― Kamala Harris
49. “Voting is a civic sacrament.” ― Theodore Hesburgh
50. “Share it with your friends and fam who may need it 🖤 Let’s all do our part and place our votes this year! It’s so important.” – Demi Lovato
What Did You Learn From These Voting Quotes?
Voting is your chance to make your voice heard.
Hopefully, these quotes have motivated you to vote and be engaged in our democracy.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these voting quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.