If you’re a fan of the arts, you’ll certainly enjoy these William Blake quotes and words of wisdom.
William Blake was an artist and writer in the 17th century that as many, is looked upon more favorably since his death than how he was appreciated during his life.
He was unique and creative in a way that many didn’t understand during his day.
Blake claimed to have visions throughout his life that he used as inspiration for his work.
Some thought he was a little too far out there while others thought of him as highly talented.
Whichever side of the debate you fall on, it’s hard to deny that these William Blake quotes share some great wisdom that we can all learn from.
Don’t forget to also check out our list of Frida Kahlo quotes from the legendary artist.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Inspirational William Blake quotes
1. “To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.” – William Blake
You will also enjoy our article on painting Quotes.
2. “No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.” – William Blake
You will also enjoy our article on lil durk quotes.
3. “You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.” – William Blake
4. “What is now proved was once only imagined.” – William Blake
5. “The imagination is not a state; it is the human existence itself.” – William Blake
6. “I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man’s. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.” – William Blake
7. “Everything to be imagined is an image of truth.” – William Blake
8. “Knowledge is life with wings.” – William Blake
9. “The most sublime act is to set another before you.” – William Blake
10. “And we are put on this earth a little space that we might learn to bear the beams of love.” – William Blake
11. “Enlightenment means taking full responsibility for your life.” – William Blake
Wise William Blake quotes
12. “Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.” – William Blake
13. “If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro’ narrow chinks of his cavern.” – William Blake
14. “I was angry with my friend: I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe: I told it not, my wrath did grow.” – William Blake
15. “Expect poison from the standing water.” – William Blake
16. “The fool who persists in his folly will become wise.” – William Blake
17. “When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.” – William Blake
18. “A truth that’s told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.” – William Blake
19. “The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.” – William Blake
20. “To generalize is to be an idiot.” – William Blake
21. “When a sinister person means to be your enemy, they always start by trying to become your friend.” – William Blake
22. “In the universe, there are things that are known, and things that are unknown, and in between, there are doors.” – William Blake
23. “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” – William Blake
24. “The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.” – William Blake
25. “A man can’t soar too high, when he flies with his own wings.” – William Blake
26. “Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.” – William Blake
27. “Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.” – William Blake
28. “Better to shun the bait than struggle in the snare.” – William Blake
William Blake quotes about art
29. “Art is the tree of life. Science is the tree of death.” – William Blake
30. “The man who never in his mind and thoughts travel’d to heaven is no artist.” – William Blake
31. “The foundation of empire is art and science. Remove them or degrade them, and the empire is no more. Empire follows art and not vice versa as Englishmen suppose.” – William Blake
William Blake quotes on faith
32. “The glory of Christianity is to conquer by forgiveness.” – William Blake
33. “Where mercy, love, and pity dwell, there God is dwelling too.” – William Blake
34. “For every thing that lives is Holy.” – William Blake
35. “If the sun and moon should ever doubt, they’d immediately go out.” – William Blake
36. “Eternity is in love with the productions of time.” – William Blake
Thought-provoking William Blake quotes
37. “The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship.” – William Blake
38. “He who kisses joy as it flies by will live in eternity’s sunrise.” – William Blake
39. “When the green woods laugh with the voice of joy, And the dimpling stream runs laughing by; When the air does laugh with our merry wit, And the green hill laughs with the noise of it.” – William Blake
40. “Those who restrain their desires do so because theirs is weak enough o be restrained.” – William Blake
41. “Great things are done when men and mountains meet.” – William Blake
42. “The weak in courage is strong in cunning.” – William Blake
43. “How can a bird that is born for joy sit in a cage and sing?” – William Blake
44. “He whose face gives no light, shall never become a star.” – William Blake
45. “Love seeketh not itself to please, nor for itself hath any care, but for another gives its ease, and builds a Heaven in Hell’s despair.” – William Blake
More William Blake quotes
46. “Man was made for joy and woe, Then when this we rightly know, Through the world we safely go, Joy and woe are woven fine, A clothing for the soul to bind.” – William Blake
47. “For all eternity, I forgive you and you forgive me.” – William Blake
48. “Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.” – William Blake
49. “A good local pub has much in common with a church, except that a pub is warmer, and there’s more conversation.” – William Blake
50. “For I dance and I drink and sing, Till some blind hand shall brush my wing. If thought is life and strength and breath and the want of thought is death, then am I a happy fly if I live or if I die.” – William Blake
51. “Do what you will, this life’s a fiction, And it is made up of contradiction.” – William Blake
52. “I live in a hole here but God has a beautiful mansion for me elsewhere.” – William Blake
What can you learn from William Blake’s life experience?
Whether you believe that William Blake actually had visions or not, he shared some insightful thoughts and ideas that can be applied to your life.
From love and work to faith and inspiration, William Blake seemed to have a wise outlook on life.
He wasn’t always appreciated and struggled throughout many years of his life, but he continued to work until his death.
The arts were not a means to an end for him but his passion.
This is a lesson that we can all learn from.
Your passion might not be the arts, but the same lesson can be applied to other areas of your life.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these wise William Blake quotes?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.