These William Faulkner quotes about time will make you think about the past.
William Faulkner was an American author famous for his novels, short stories, and other written works.
If you’re a fan of literature, you’re probably already familiar with this celebrated writer.
The William Faulkner quotes below will open your mind up to a fresh perspective on life.
The author had many interesting philosophies on death, the past, and what it truly means to love.
His words of wisdom will have you thinking about your prior choices and future opportunities.
Have you ever read Falkner’s most notable works, like The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying?
Faulkner was so skilled at creating renowned written works that he even received a Nobel Prize in Literature.
Read these William Faulkner quotes to gain a greater appreciation for this talented writer.
Don’t forget to also check out these Ludwig Wittgenstein quotes that will make you think.
William Faulkner quotes about love, life, and death
1. “Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world…would do this, it would change the earth.” – William Faulkner
2. “You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.” – William Faulkner
3. “Perhaps they were right putting love into books. Perhaps it could not live anywhere else.” – William Faulkner
4. “Unless you’re ashamed of yourself now and then, you’re not honest.” – William Faulkner
5. “The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” – William Faulkner
6. “Read, read, read. Read everything — trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You’ll absorb it. Then write. If it’s good, you’ll find out. If it’s not, throw it out of the window.” – William Faulkner
7. “We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” – William Faulkner
8. “The past is never dead. It’s not even past.” – William Faulkner
9. “Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.” – William Faulkner
10. “Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain.” – William Faulkner
William Faulkner quotes that will introduce you to a new way of thinking
11. “I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire…I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.” – William Faulkner
12. “Don’t be a writer’. Be writing.” – William Faulkner
13. “I’m bad and I’m going to hell, and I don’t care. I’d rather be in hell than anywhere where you are.” – William Faulkner
14. “Wonder. Go on and wonder.” – William Faulkner
15. “Dreams have only one owner at a time. That’s why dreamers are lonely.” – William Faulkner
16. “A man is the sum of his misfortunes. One day you’d think misfortune would get tired but then time is your misfortune.” – William Faulkner
17. “In writing, you must kill all your darlings.” – William Faulkner
18. “The next time you try to seduce anyone, don’t do it with talk, with words. Women know more about words than men ever will. And they know how little they can ever possibly mean.” – William Faulkner
19. “The saddest thing about love, Joe, is that not only the love cannot last forever, but even the heartbreak is soon forgotten.” – William Faulkner
20. “How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.” – William Faulkner
Memorable William Faulkner quotes
21. “Talk, talk, talk: the utter and heartbreaking stupidity of words.” – William Faulkner
22. “A writer needs three things, experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others.” – William Faulkner
23. “Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders.” – William Faulkner
24. “I feel like a wet seed wild in the hot blind earth.” – William Faulkner
25. “Clocks slay time… time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life.” – William Faulkner
What are your favorite William Faulkner quotes about the south and the past?
William Faulkner was a beloved writer because he had a unique writing style and many interesting ideas to share.
This collection of incredible quotes from the author highlight his intelligence, wit, and insight.
Even if you’ve never read one of his novels or short stories, the humanity found within these words will resonate with you.
Overall, William Faulkner is best known for being a brilliant author from Mississippi who also won a Nobel Prize.
This man accomplished many amazing things in his life and created a legacy that will be remembered for generations.
Share this collection of quotes with your friends and family to remind them of the writer’s genius.
His powerful words of wisdom live on forever in his quotes and written works.
What are your favorite William Faulkner quotes and sayings about love and life?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 10, 2022 7:00 AM EST