Hiking Quotes for Adventurers
August 30, 2022 7:20 AM EST
These hiking quotes will tap into the adventurer within you and make you want to head outdoors.
What are the benefits of hiking?
There are a lot of advantages to spending time outside hiking.
Not only can you go out and have an adventure and take in beautiful sights and landscapes, but ti’s also good for your mental health and physical health.
In a world where technology is constantly getting our attention, it’s important to make sure that you aren’t forgetting about all that awaits you right outside your door.
Whether you are an experienced hiker or just like to go for a walk, let these quotes motivate you to head out and have an adventure.
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of camping quotes that will help get you outdoors.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Funny Hiking Quotes
1. “Never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost, and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.” – Ellen Degeneres
You will also enjoy our article on walking quotes.
2. “If the winter is too cold and the summer is too hot, you are not a hiker.” – A bitter hiker
3. “Bring a compass. It’s awkward when you have to eat your friends.” – Unknown
4. “Sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.” – Bears
5. “DEET is nature’s cologne.” – Every Hiker
6. “I’m sure I can fit all this in my pack…” – Unknown
Hiking quotes to get you outdoors
7. “I’d rather be hiking in the rain, than sitting inside at a desk on a sunny day.” – Unknown
8. “Everyone needs someone who will call and say, ‘Get dressed. We’re going on an adventure.'” – Unknown
9. “Let’s not mince words: Everest doesn’t attract a whole lot of well-balanced folks. The self-selection process tends to weed out the cautious and the sensible in favor of those who are single-minded and incredibly driven. Which is a big reason the mountain is so dangerous.” – Jon Krakauer
10. “Walking: the most ancient exercise and still the best modern exercise.” – Carrie Latet
11. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing the lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
12. “The mountains are calling and I must go.” – John Muir
13. “There is nothing worse, after days of falling asleep by a babbling brook and waking up to a choir chirping birds, than to go inside a house with insulated walls and an obstructive roof. This torturous invention, a cage, a box, prevents you from seeing or hearing anything of natural importance. Make time to free yourself and find a bit of nature.”― Katherine Keith
14. “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” – T.S. Eliot
15. “Only one who wanders find new paths.” – Norwegian Proverb
16. “Unless we are willing to encourage our children to reconnect with and appreciate the natural world, we can’t expect them to help protect and care for it.” – David Suzuki
Hiking quotes to inspire your next trip
17. “In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” – John Muir
18. “Hiking and happiness go hand in hand or foot in boot.” – Diane Spicer
19. “Trekking means a traveling experience with a thrilling excitement.” –Amit Kalantri
20. “Hiking is the best workout! You can hike for three hours and not even realize you’re working out. And, hiking alone lets me have some time to myself.” – Jamie Luner
21. “Life sucks a lot less when you add mountain air, a campfire and some peace and quiet.” – Brooke Hampton
22. “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
23. “Hiking is the answer. Who cares what the question is.” – Unknown
24. “Smart people that like good health spend several hours outdoors daily in the shade of trees.” – Steven Magee
25. “I’m an introvert. I love being by myself, love being outdoors, love taking a long walk with my dogs and looking at the trees, flowers, the sky.” – Audrey Hepburn
26. “All those hours exploring the great outdoors made me more resilient and confident.” – David Suzuki
Hiking quotes about getting lost in nature
27. “Over the mountains & through the woods, down the river & up the valley, over the boulders & through the stream to nobody’s house I go.” – Unknown
28. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.” – Unknown
29. “Let’s find some beautiful places to get lost.” – Unknown
30. “Get lost in nature and you will find yourself.” – Unknown
31. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
32. “Travel often; getting lost with help you find yourself.” – Unknown
33. “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” – Rosalia de Castro
Hiking quotes on life lessons
34. “There is no wifi in the forest, but you will find a better connection.” – Unknown
35. “Methinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow.” – Henry David Thoreau
36. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
37. “After a day’s walk, everything has twice its usual value.” – G.M. Trevelyan
38. “Carry as little as possible, but choose that little with care.” – Earl Shaffer
39. “If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.” – Frank A. Clark
40. “Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking; You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits.” – Cindy Ross
41. “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” – John Muir
42. “When everything feels like an uphill struggle, Just think of the view from the top.” – Anonymous
43. “Walking is a man’s best medicine.” – Hippocrates
44. “Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” – Helen Keller
45. “People travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the seas, at the long course of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars, and yet they pass by themselves without wondering.” – Saint Augustine
46. “Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer. Camp out among the grasses and gentians of glacial meadows, in craggy garden nooks full of nature’s darlings.” – John Muir
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of walk away quotes to help you find the motivation and courage you need to change your life.
47. “If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk.” – Raymond Inmon
48. “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
49. “Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was.” – Dag Hammarskjold
50. “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” – Greg Child
We also have a collection of John Muir quotes about nature and national parks.
More hiking quotes and sayings
51. “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.” – John Muir
52. “Hiking in undiscovered places is a lot of fun.” – Karolina Kurkova
53. “Mountains are the beginning and the end of all-natural scenery.” – John Ruskin
54. “[Walking] is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside.” – Elizabeth von Arnim
55. “We’ve climbed the mighty mountain. I see the valley below, and it’s a valley of peace.” – George W. Bush
56. “Hiking is really great for centering; you get to be out in nature and although sometimes it seems like hell when you’re getting up that mountain, it always feels good when you’re done.” – Jacqui Holland
57. “[Hiking] is not that crazy, but when you look back and you see that mountain you just climbed, you say, “I can’t believe I did that.”” – Queen Latifah
58. “Hiking is great because it’s a lifelong sport and you’re outdoors, active, so whether you call that a sport or a hobby or a recreation, I think the wording – it’s a great way to get exercise, and it can be as challenging as you want to make it.” – Jennifer Pharr Davis
59. “Hiking a ridge, a meadow, a river bottom, is as healthy a form of exercise as one can get.” – William O. Douglas
60. “There is always an adventure waiting in the woods.” – Katelyn S. Bolds
Hiking quotes on how it can make you feel free and isolated at the same time
61. “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity” – John Muir
62. “The thing about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, the thing that was so profound to me that summer—and yet also, like most things, so very simple—was how few choices I had and how often I had to do the thing I least wanted to do. How there was no escape or denial. No numbing it down with a martini or covering it up with a roll in the hay.” – Cheryl Strayed
63. “I love going out of my way, beyond what I know, and finding my way back a few extra miles, by another trail, with a compass that argues with the map…nights alone in motels in remote western towns where I know no one and no one I know knows where I am, nights with strange paintings and floral spreads and cable television that furnish a reprieve from my own biography, when in Benjamin’s terms, I have lost myself though I know where I am.” – Rebecca Solnit
64. “What on earth would I do if four bears came into my camp? Why, I would die of course. Literally shit myself lifeless.” – Bill Bryson
65. “Jumping from boulder to boulder and never falling, with a heavy pack, is easier than it sounds; you just can’t fall when you get into the rhythm of the dance.” – Jack Kerouac
66. “Another thing I like to do is sit back and take in nature. To look at the birds, listen to their singing, go hiking, camping and jogging and running, walking along the beach, playing games and sometimes being alone with the great outdoors. It’s very special to me.” – Larry Wilcox
67. “I usually find myself hiking in a place that not a lot of people go hiking, just trying to find some solitude. I like being out in the middle of nowhere. Not always, but it’s a good place to go to just reflect and think, and it’s something I really enjoy.” – Rami Malek
68. “When I wake up every morning, I smile and say, ‘Thank you.’ Because out of my window I can see the mountains, then go hiking with my dog and share her bounding joy in the world.” – Carole King
69. “When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” – Wilma Rudolph
70. “The man who goes afoot, prepared to camp anywhere and in any weather, is the most independent fellow on earth.” – Horace Kephart
Hiking Quotes For Instagram Captions
71. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” ― Chief Seattle
72. “Every now and then it’s good to stop climbing and appreciate the view from right where you are.” ― Lori Deschene
73. “Great things are done when men and mountains meet.” ― William Blake
74. “You need mountains, long staircases don’t make good hikers.” ― Amit Kalantri
75. “Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.” ― Sir Martin Conway
76. “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” ― Sir Edmund Hillary
77. “Walking brings me back to myself.” ― Laurette Mortimera
78. “You’re off to great places, today is your day. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way.” ― Dr. Seuss
79. “The climb speaks to our character, but the view, I think, to our souls.” ― Lori Lansens
80. “The mountains whisper for me to wander; my soul hikes to the call.” ― Angie Weiland-Crosby
Are you ready for an adventure?
Use the motivation you have after reading through the hiking quotes above to plan your next adventure.
Take some time today to start planning where you can head outdoors and hike today.
You can plan a day out hiking with friends or a quiet day on your own reflecting as you walk through tranquil places on your own.
Make sure you take in the beauty of nature and allow the environment to speak to you and reenergize you as you hike.
You can make the experience anything that you want it to be and still enjoy all the benefits for your mind and body.
Which of these hiking quotes and sayings inspired you to plan your next adventure?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.