These “absence makes the heart grow fonder” quotes are touchy and inspiring.
If you are living apart from your family or loved ones, you will immediately be drawn toward these quotes.
Apart from these quotes, we also discuss what is meant by “absence makes the heart grow fonder.”
If interested, please continue reading!
What is Meant by “Absence makes the Heart Grow Fonder”?
The “absence makes the heart grow fonder” is a popular saying about the love for those who are away from you.
In fact, when your loved one is away from you, you start to love them more deeply.
Apart from this, the phrase also suggests that separation or distance proves to be a stimulant for strengthening your relationship.
This saying has been used for ages to describe the feeling of affection for those who are not around.
Examples from Literature and Music
The phrase has been used in numerous poems, songs, and literature.
Here are a few examples from pop culture and literature that reflect the idea behind “absence makes the heart grow fonder”:
- Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare, where the love of two people grows stronger once they are separated.
- The Notebook is a novel that shows how the love of two people strengthened once World War ll separated them.
- Outlander is a book that depicts the story of a woman who got separated from her husband for 20 years.
- We Found Love,” a popular song by Rihanna.
- The Great Gatsby is a classic novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which depicts that the love of a man for a woman strengthened due to separation.
Why is this term Universally Accepted?
It is popular as the crux of the phrase resonates with people from different social backgrounds.
Here are some of the reasons why this term is universally accepted:
- When away from our loved ones, we cherish the time spent with them.
- A sense of belonging is felt that is hard to ignore.
- This phrase expresses what someone means to us.
In addition, the absence helps the partners, loved ones, and spouses to learn more about the strengths of their relationships.
They start to appreciate their partners, bringing them closer to each other.
In addition, people living away from each other can maintain their relationship for longer and sometimes for their whole lives.
Top 10 Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder Quotes
Let’s start with the best ‘Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder’ quotes.
1. “Ocean separates lands, not souls…” ― Munia Khan
2. “A flower knows when its butterfly will return.” ― Sanober Khan
3. “How shall I unwind me from the spool of you?” ― Jill Alexander Essbaum
4. “There was nowhere I could go that wouldn’t be you.” ― Jeffrey Eugenides
5. “There is love in holding, and there is love in letting go.” ― Elizabeth Berg
6. “I’ll never see them again. I know that. And they know that.” ― Haruki Murakami
7. “No matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere.” ― Tim McGraw
8. “Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.” ― Tabitha Suzuma
9. “A man always finds it hard to realize that he may have finally lost a woman’s love.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle
10. “Absence is to love what wind is to fire it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great.” ― Roger de Bussy-Rabutin
Instaworthy Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder Quotes
Following ‘Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder’ quotes that are Instaworthy.
11. “Love is more powerful than separation, but the latter is more lasting.” ― Joseph Brodsky
12. “Separation is not a salubrious state of affairs; isolation is preferably an insane affair.” ― P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar
13. “And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” ― Kahlil Gibran
14. “Separation is so painful; it is not so much two hearts separating, but one being torn asunder.” ― Fulton J. Sheen
15. “I fell in love with her when we were together, then fell deeper in love with her in the years we were apart.” ― Nicholas Sparks
16. “I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye—that was the trouble—I wanted to kiss you good night, and there’s a lot of difference.” ― Ernest Hemingway
17. “Physical absence does not always mean emotional absence; many times, more physical absence means more emotional presence.” ― Bangambiki Habyarimana
18. “For when two beings who are not friends are near each other, there is no meeting, and when friends are far apart, there is no separation.” ― Simone Weil
19. “We love because we can lose. If there was no threat of separation, no death to shake us to our core, we probably wouldn’t love much at all.” ― Donna Lynn Hope
20. “You can then feel the same life deep within every other human and every other creature. You look beyond the veil of form and separation. This is the realization of oneness. This is love.” ― Eckhart Tolle
Deep Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder Quotes
Below are ‘Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder’ quotes with deep words inside.
21. “Hold me in thy arms of hope, for the truth of separation can rest tonight.” ― Faraaz Kazi
22. “The value of what’s part of us can’t be measured until it’s already lost.” ― Danny Castillones Sillada
23. “The distant soul can shake the distant friend’s soul and make the longing felt, over untold miles.” ― John Masefield
24. “Separation penetrates the disappearing person like a pigment and steeps him in gentle radiance.” — Boy George
25. “It is mostly the farewells that unite us and lasts in our memory forever, even more than the first meeting.” ― Mimi Novic
26. “Our lives were now worlds apart, separated by time, circumstance, and the unbridgeable chasm of money.” ― Travis Luedke
27. “Any intense relationship, be it of love or hate, displaces you from your body-mind. Everything becomes about that person. When they are gone, you feel lost.” ― Shunya
28. “No one escapes unscathed. Every story of separation is different, but I think we all understand that basic, wrenching emotion that comes from saying goodbye, not knowing if we’ll see that person again – or perhaps knowing that we won’t.” — Luanne Rice
29. “Relationships are eternal. The ‘separation’ is another chapter in the relationship. Often, letting go of the old form of the relationship becomes a lesson in pure love much deeper than any would have learned had the couple stayed together.” ― Marianne Williamson
30. “Everyone may agree upon the diagnosis, but not everyone may consent to the therapy. Indeed, for healing, things have to be sacrificed at times, and separation or loss might always be heartbreak and leave scars of remorse or regret. (“Sorrow”)” ― Erik Pevernagie
Emotional Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder Quotes
Now let’s check out some emotional ‘Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder’ quotes.
31. “The marriage didn’t work out, but the separation is great.” — Liz Smith
32. “It’s been 12 years now, and I haven’t smiled at him even once.” ― Sanhita Baruah
33. “So go, girl. We should have been one person all along, not two.” ― Dorothy Baker
34. “The day he moved out was terrible – That evening she went through hell.”― Wendy Cope
35. “We are often insane with happiness. We are also very unhappy for reasons neither of us can do anything about. Like being separated.” ― Audrey Niffenegger
36. “Maybe we tried to leave as many memories of ourselves with each other because we knew one day we wouldn’t be together anymore.” ― Makoto Shinkai
37. “I tell him I wish I could stay with him, but not here, not on Earth. Earth is the wrong place for me, always was and will be until the day I die.” ― Ottessa Moshfegh
38. “After a week, it’s better. I miss her. I mourn her. But some peace has returned. She had been so unattainable – so young, so much a citizen of a different era – that it is hard to feel fully deprived.” ― Scott Turow
39. “Lena always described how she dreaded and mourned things before they even happened. Carmen was beginning to suspect that she was permitting herself to mourn this long separation only now that it was over.” ― Ann Brashares
40. “And oh, Claudia, Claudilla, ask me to do something – something that I can do. Do not ask me to forget you or to be indifferent to you. Do not ask me to have no interest in how you pass your time. But if we are separated, set me a task, something that will be a daily link with you.” ― Thornton Wilder
More Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder Quotes
Here are some more ‘Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder’ quotes with several themes.
41. “Absence – that common cure of love.” ― Lord Byron
42. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.” ― Thomas Haynes Bayly
43. “Absence sharpens love; presence strengthens it.” ― Thomas Fuller
44. “Our hours in love have wings; in absence, crutches.” ― Miguel de Cervantes
45. “In the absence of love, we began slowly but surely to fall apart.” ― Marianne Williamson
46. “Absence and death are the same – only that in death there is no suffering.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
47. “Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer than despair.” ― William Cowper
48. “Never part without loving words to think of during your absence. It may be that you will not meet again in this life.” ― Jean Paul
49. “Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires.” ― Francois de La Rochefoucauld
50. “Sometimes, taking a break and going somewhere else and, almost, for both parties, absence makes the heart grow fonder.” ― Edge
Which of these “Absence makes the Heart grow Fonder” Quotes is your Favorite?
Sharing these “absence makes the heart grow fonder” quotes is a great way to inspire the people around you.
The quotes are all about relationships and the feelings of people.
The power of emotions associated with these quotes can help to strengthen our bonds.
Hence, it would be appropriate to share these quotes with your friends and family.
If you liked our collection of “absence makes the heart grow fonder” quotes, just let us know by commenting in the section below.
We would love to hear from you.