Life is not the same without great love, and these romantic Romeo and Juliet quotes will make you yearn for everlasting love.
Romeo and Juliet is one of the most famous love stories in English literature.
Whether it’s because of the tragic ending, the passionate love or the excellent writing, the play has been and continues to be one of the most famous ever written.
Romeo and Juliet appeals to many of our romantic sensibilities.
We can all relate to and enjoy the story of a forbidden love, the pureness of first love, and the intensity of passion in youth.
The play lasts in our minds because we have something in common with the characters.
We all know how it feels to be told no by those in authority, even when we know/feel we are right.
That makes us feel the pain of Romeo and Juliet and root for their young love.
Shakespeare was a brilliant author who knew how to create something that appeals to such a large group of people.
In Romeo and Juliet, his use of beautiful imagery and words that captivate the heart also contributes to the play’s massive popularity.
Below is our collection of inspirational, beautiful, and romantic Romeo and Juliet quotes that have stood the test of time.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Romeo And Juliet Quotes For Lovers Of Great Literature
1. “I will kiss thy lips. Apply some poison yet doth hang on them To make me die with a restorative.” – Juliet
You will also enjoy our article on forbidden love quotes.
2. “I pray thee, chide me not. Her I love now Doth grace for grace and love for love allow. The other did not so.” – Romeo
3. “See how she leans her cheek upon her hand, O that I were a glove upon that hand that I might touch that cheek! “ – Romeo
4. “My only love sprung from my only hate, Too early seen unknown, and known too late! Prodigious birth of love is it to me That I must love a loathed enemy.” – Juliet
5. “But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.” – Romeo
6. “I take thee at thy word: Call me but love, and I’ll be new baptiz’d; Henceforth I never will be Romeo.” – Romeo
7. “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite.” – Juliet
8. “If I profane with my unworthiest hand This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this: My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.” –Romeo
9. “O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.” – Juliet
10. “ROMEO: …I have more care to stay than will to go.” – Juliet
Romeo and Juliet quotes that stand the test of time
11. “If love be rough with you, be rough with love. Prick love for pricking and you beat love down.” –Romeo and Juliet
12. “With love’s light wings did I o’erperch these walls, For stony limits cannot hold love out.” – Romeo
13. “O, swear not by the moon, th’ inconstant moon,That monthly changes in her circle orb, Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.” – Juliet
14. “O sweet Juliet Thy beauty hath made me effeminate And in my temper softened valor’s steel!” – Romeo
15. “Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow.” – Juliet
16. “O she doth teach the torches to burn bright. It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night As a rich jewel in an Ethiope’s ear.” – Romeo
17. “Out of her favour, where I am in love.” – Romeo
18. “O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do. They pray: grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.” – Romeo
19. “Dost thou love me? I know thou wilt say ay, And I will take thy word; yet if thou swear’st, Thou mayst prove false; at lovers’ perjuries They say Jove laughs. O gentle Romeo,If thou dost love, pronounce it faithfully.” – Juliet
20. “Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs; Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers’ eyes; Being vexed a sea nourish’d with loving tears: What is it else? a madness most discreet, A choking gall, and a preserving sweet.” – Romeo
Romeo and Juliet quotes that prove love supersedes all other values
21. “It is my soul that calls upon my name;
How silver-sweet sound lovers’ tongues by night,
like softest music to attending ears! – Romeo
22. “Do not swear at all. Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self, Which is the god of my idolatry, And I’ll believe thee.” – Juliet
23. “I do protest I never injured thee But love thee better than thou canst devise Till thou shalt know the reason of my love. And so, good Capulet, which name I tender As dearly as my own, be satisfied.” – Romeo
24. “The world is not thy friend, nor the world’s law.” – Romeo
25. “Under love’s heavy burden do I sink.” – Romeo
26. “I shall forget, to have thee still stand there, Rememb’ring how I love thy company.” – Juliet
27. “One fairer than my love? the all-seeing sun Ne’er saw her match since first the world begun.” – Romeo
28. “Spread thy close curtain, love-performing night, That runaway eyes may wink, and Romeo Leap to these arms untalk’d of and unseen.” – Juliet
29. “God joined my heart and Romeo’s, thou our hands; And ere this hand, by thee to Romeo sealed, Shall be the label to another deed, Or my true heart with treacherous revolt Turn to another, this shall slay them both.” – Juliet
30. “Now Romeo is beloved, and loves again, Alike bewitched by the charm of looks.” – Romeo and Juliet
Romeo and Juliet quotes on the powerful nature of love
31. “Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?” – Juliet
32. “Love goes toward love as schoolboys from their books; But love from love, toward school with heavy looks.”- Romeo
33. “O God, I have an ill-divining soul! Methinks I see thee now, thou art so low, As one dead in the bottom of a tomb.” – Juliet
34. “O here Will I set up my everlasting rest And shake the yoke of inauspicious stars From this world wearied flesh.” – Romeo
35. “Did my heart love till now… For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night” –Romeo
36. “So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called, Retain that dear perfection which he owes Without that title.” – Juliet
37. “They are but beggars that can count their worth, But my true love is grown to such excess I cannot sum up some of half my wealth.” – Juliet
38. “And what love can do, that dares love attempt. Therefore thy kinsmen are no stop to me.” – Romeo
39. “My husband lives, that Tybalt would have slain, And Tybalt’s dead, that would have slain my husband. All this is comfort.” – Romeo and Juliet
40. “Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die, Take him and cut him out in little stars, And he will make the face of heaven so fine. That all the world will be in love with night And pay no worship to the garish sun.” – Juliet
Romeo and Juliet quotes to enrich your day
41. “O Fortune, Fortune! All men call thee fickle.If thou art fickle, what dost thou with him That is renowned for faith? Be fickle, Fortune. For then I hope thou wilt not keep him long, But send him back.” – Juliet
42. “I fear too early, for my mind misgives; Some consequence, yet hanging in the stars, Shall bitterly begin.” – Romeo
43. “Come, gentle night, come, loving black-browed night, Give me my Romeo, and when I shall die, Take him and cut him out in little stars.” – Juliet
44. “It is the East, and Juliet is the sun!” – Romeo
45. “O God, I have an ill-divining soul! Methinks I see thee, now thou art below, As one dead in the bottom of a tomb. Either my eyesight fails or thou look’st pale.” – Juliet
46. “O me, what fray was here? Yet tell me not, for I have heard it all. Here’s much to do with hate, but more with love.” – Romeo
47. “How camest thou hither, tell me, and wherefore? The orchard walls are high and hard to climb, And the place death, considering who thou art, If any of my kinsmen find thee here.” – Juliet
48. “Don’t waste your love on somebody, who doesn’t value it.” ― Romeo and Juliet
49. “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose, By any other word would smell as sweet.” – Juliet
50. “The time and my intents are savage-wild, More fierce and more inexorable far Than empty tigers or the roaring sea.” – Romeo
More Romeo and Juliet quotes
51. “These violent delights have violent ends and in their triumph die, like fire and powder which, as they kiss, consume.” – William Shakespeare
52. “Do not swear by the moon, for she changes constantly. then your love would also change.” – William Shakespeare
53. “If love be blind, love cannot hit the mark.” – William Shakespeare
54. “Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so. Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow.” – William Shakespeare
55. “Alas that love, so gentle in his view, Should be so tyrannous and rough in proof!” – William Shakespeare
56. “A glooming peace this morning with it brings.” – William Shakespeare
57. “Could we but learn from whence his sorrows grow, we would willingly give cure as know.” – William Shakespeare
58. “She has vowed never to love: and that vow means I must endure a living death.” – William Shakespeare
59. “This day’s black fate on more days doth depend; This but begins the woe, others must end.” – William Shakespeare
60. “Not proud you have, but thankful that you have. Proud can I never be of what I hate, but thankful even for hate that is meant love.” – William Shakespeare
Did you enjoy these Romeo and Juliet quotes?
Despite its sad ending, Romeo and Juliet remains an all-time favorite love story.
The play was written centuries ago, but it still appeals to us with its relatable interpretation of tragic love.
Whether it’s the forbidden love or the pureness of first love, the universality and timelessness of the situation in Romeo and Juliet ensures the play will always remain relevant.
Which of these Romeo and Juliet quotes was your favorite?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.