Break-up Quotes to Help you Heal and Move on
Don’t forget to take care of your broken heart. Discover how to move on with our break up quotes.
May 15, 2023 6:00 AM EST
These feel-good break-up quotes will help you navigate the difficult terrain of a broken heart.
Who can forget the iconic line from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, ‘I can’t see anything that I don’t like about you’?
Breakup quotes encapsulate the emotions that come with the end of a romantic relationship – the heartache, the longing, and the bittersweet memories.
They offer solace and knowledge during a time of emotional turmoil.
Let us know which resonated most with you in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a study by the American Psychological Association, break-ups can lead to symptoms of depression and anxiety, with up to 65% of participants reporting significant distress after a split.
This highlights the intense emotional impact of break-ups and the need for effective coping mechanisms, such as reading and sharing inspiring break-up quotes.
What are the benefits of reading break-up quotes?
We’ve all been through the pain of a break-up and subsequent heartache.
Especially from a fake person whom we trusted.
These break-up quotes will:
- Remind you that you are not alone
- That even though it is painful, you will get through it
- Give you hope for the future and perspective
Sometimes, we can’t find the right words to convey what we are feeling inside, or we are convinced that no one has ever felt the way we are feeling before.
We can lose perspective, optimism, and a belief that things will work out in the future for us.
During times like these, the words, songs, and heartbreak quotes from others touch a note with us to let us know that they have been through the same ordeal before.
And they survived it.
It also lets us know we are not alone and that we are understood.
And what’s better is that it helps to ease the feelings of emptiness that are tearing us up inside.
To help and inspire you, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and uplifting break-up quotes, break-up sayings, and break-up proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
We also have a collection of letting go quotes that will help you move on.
There are also quite a few quotes about getting back together.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Best break-up quotes and sayings ever
A survey by the mental health charity Mind found that 37% of respondents experienced panic attacks following a break-up, while 71% reported feelings of intense sadness.
These findings emphasize the psychological toll of break-ups and the importance of finding positive break-up quotes as ways to manage the associated stress.
1. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about new beginnings.
2. “Life always waits for some crisis to occur before revealing itself at its most brilliant.” – Paulo Coelho
You will also enjoy our article on best relationship quotes.
3. “When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.” – Barney Stinson
You will also enjoy our article on joker quotes.
4. “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
You will also enjoy our article on heart touching quotes.
5. “When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive.” – Paulo Coelho
You will also enjoy our article on I miss you quotes.
6. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” – Guy Finley
You will also enjoy our article on comeback quotes.
7. “One day they’ll realize they lost a diamond while playing with worthless stones.” – Turcois Ominek
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of diamond quotes about the power of long-lasting beauty.
8. “Never love anybody that treats you like you’re ordinary.” – Oscar Wilde
You will also enjoy our article on goodbye quotes.
9. “Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have – life itself.” – Walter Anderson
You will also enjoy our article on I’m tired quotes.
10. “It’s much more interesting to try and understand what binds two people together. Why we stay with each other is much more of a mystery than why we don’t.” – Jane Stanton Hitchcock
Also, check out these helpful divorce quotes to help you move on.
Quotes about break-ups and heartaches
A mental health app, Ginger survey found that reading inspirational quotes can be an effective coping mechanism for dealing with a break-up’s stress and emotional upheaval, with 92% of respondents reporting that quotes helped them feel better.
This indicates that inspirational quotes can provide comfort and support for those going through a breakup, helping them heal and move on.
11. “Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.” – L. Ron Hubbard
You will also enjoy our article on missing someone quotes.
12. “Sooner or later we’ve all got to let go of our past.”– Dan Brown
You will also enjoy our article on trust issues quotes.
13. “I’m thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn’t have stumbled across my strength.” – Alex Elle
You will also enjoy our article on separation quotes.
14. “Every single day, do something that makes your heart sing.” – Marcia Wieder
You will also enjoy our article on toxic relationships quotes.
15. “Get up, dress up, show up, and never give up.” – Genevieve Rhode
You will also enjoy our article on happy Friday quotes.
16. “I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m on my way.” – Carl Sagan
You will also enjoy our article on trust no one quotes.
17. “It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” – Anthony Robbins
You will also enjoy our article on second chances quotes.
18. “Be in love with your life. Every minute of it.” – Jack Kerouac
You will also enjoy our article on betrayal quotes.
19. “Moving on, is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard.” – Dave Mustaine
You will also enjoy our article on everything happens for a reason quotes.
20. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
You might also like our list of ex quotes for when you’re going through a break-up.
Break-up quotes for moving on
According to a study conducted by the Pew Research Center, 73% of American adults have experienced a romantic breakup at some point in their lives.
This statistic can help readers relate to the content of the article and feel that they are not alone in their experiences.
21. “Like some wines our love could neither mature nor travel.”― Graham Greene, The Comedians
You will also enjoy our article on motivational quotes for weight loss.
22. “One makes mistakes; that is life. But it is never a mistake to have loved.” – Romain Rolland
You will also enjoy our article on never give up quotes.
23. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.” – Washington Irving
You will also enjoy our article on hurt quotes.
24. “You fell in love with a storm. Did you really think you would get out unscathed?”― Nikita Gill
You will also enjoy our article on being single quotes.
25. “Blaming the ex for the breakup is like blaming the clothes for not fitting you.”― Khang Kijarro Nguyen
You will also enjoy our article on One Piece quotes.
26. “There is an ocean of silence between us… and I am drowning in it.”― Ranata Suzuki
You will also enjoy our article on being used quotes.
27. “We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” – E.M. Forster
You will also enjoy our article on healing quotes.
28. “You can’t break up what was never together. But my heart didn’t get that memo.”― Rachel Harris
You will also enjoy our article on survival quotes.
29. “The only whole heart is a broken one because it lets the light in.”― David Wolpe
You will also enjoy our article on sister-in-law quotes.
30. “Passivity means death, activity is living. If you are passive, you allow negative things to come into your life.”
Don’t forget to also read these empowering cheating quotes that will help you heal.
Inspirational break-up quotes about staying strong
A study by researchers from the University of Colorado Boulder found that people who use positive self-talk after a breakup experience less emotional distress and are more likely to move on.
This statistic can provide readers with a practical tip for coping with a breakup and help them feel more hopeful about the future.
31. “That feeling you get when you want to tell some one you love them, and there is no one there..”― Melody Carstairs
You will also enjoy our article on I deserve better quotes.
32. “Letting go has never been easy, but holding on can be as difficult. Yet strength is measured not by holding on, but by letting go.” – Len Santos
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of heart break quotes about moving on from a break up.
33. “Only time can heal his heart, just as only time can heal his broken arms and legs.” – Miss Piggy
You will also enjoy our article on Two and a Half Men quotes.
34. “It hurts to let go. Sometimes it seems the harder you try to hold on to something or someone the more they wants to get away.” – Henry Rollins
You will also enjoy our article on Lost Boys quotes.
35. “Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with.” – Candace Bushnell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of girlfriend quotes every guy should read.
36. “Don’t allow someone not worth it to have the power to occupy your thoughts. If they don’t find you worth the effort or the time, why should you waste yours?” – Donna Lynn Hope
You will also enjoy our article on loyalty quotes.
37. “I tell you the past is a bucket of ashes, so live not in your yesterdays, no just for tomorrow, but in the here and now. Keep moving and forget the post mortems; and remember, no one can get the jump on the future.” – Carl Sandburg
You will also enjoy our article on single mom quotes.
38. “I don’t think much about guys from the past. I’m glad I knew them, but there’s a reason they didn’t make it into my future.”― Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
You will also enjoy our article on New Girl quotes.
39. “Recovery is something that you have to work on every single day and it’s something that it doesn’t get a day off.” – Demi Lovato
You will also enjoy our article on evil eye quotes.
40. “Some think that holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it’s letting go.” – Hermann Hesse
You will also enjoy our article on Fed Up.
41. “I’m pretty horrible at relationships and haven’t been in many long-term ones. Leaving and moving on – returning to a familiar sense of self-reliance and autonomy – is what I know; that feeling is as comfortable and comforting as it might be for a different kind of person to stay.” – Carrie Brownstein
You will also enjoy our article on keep your head up quotes.
42. “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.” – Denis Waitley
You will also enjoy our article on internet quotes.
43. “Being divorced is like being hit by a Mack truck. If you live through it, you start looking very carefully to the right and to the left.” – Jean Kerr
You will also enjoy our article on psychology quotes.
44. “I love to shop after a bad relationship. I don’t know. I buy a new outfit and it makes me feel better. It just does. Sometimes I see a really great outfit, I’ll break up with someone on purpose.” – Rita Rudner
You will also enjoy our article on Breaking Bad quotes.
45. “Bad days call for foods that are bad for your butt.” – H.M Ward
You will also enjoy our article on new job quotes.
46. “I think a spiritual journey is not so much a journey of discovery. It’s a journey of recovery. It’s a journey of uncovering your own inner nature. It’s already there.” – Billy Corgan
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
47. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Khalil Gibran
48. “Hearts live by being wounded.” – Oscar Wilde
You will also enjoy our article on two-word quotes.
Inspirational quotes about breaking up
A study by researchers from the University of Arizona found that social support from friends and family can help individuals recover from a breakup more quickly.
This statistic can emphasize the importance of seeking support during a difficult time and encourage readers to reach out to their loved ones for help.
49. “When we’re incomplete, we’re always searching for somebody to complete us. When, after a few years or a few months of a relationship, we find that we’re still unfulfilled, we blame our partners and take up with somebody more promising.” – Tom Robbins
You will also enjoy our article on moving forward quotes.
50. “Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart do not know how to laugh either.” – Golda Meir
51. “It’s no good pretending that any relationship has a future if your record collections disagree violently or if your favorite films wouldn’t even speak to each other if they met at a party.” – Nick Hornby
52. “I’ve always believed that if you don’t stay moving, they will throw dirt on you.” – Paul Anka
You will also enjoy our article on After Life quotes.
53. “When you break up with someone, and I’m not talking casual breakups here, it’s hard to take the sudden absence of such an important person in your life.” – Lish McBride
54. “You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down.” – Mary Pickford
55. “When someone leaves you, apart from missing them, apart from the fact that the whole little world you’ve created together collapses, and that everything you see or do reminds you of them, the worst is the thought that they tried you out and, in the end, the whole sum of parts adds up to you got stamped REJECT by the one you love.” – Helen Fielding
56. “What’s that line from T.S. Eliot? To arrive at the place where you started, but to know it for the first time. I’m able to write about a breakup from a different place. Same brokenness. Same rock-bottom. But a little more informed, now I’m older. Thank God for growing up.” – Alanis Morissette
57. “The moving finger writes, and having written moves on. Nor all thy piety nor all thy wit, can cancel half a line of it.” – Omar Khayyam
58. “I mean, if the relationship can’t survive the long term, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy for the short term?” – Nicholas Sparks
59. “Healing yourself is connected with healing others.” – Yoko Ono
60. “For a long time, the fact that I was divorced was the most important thing about me. And now it’s not. Now the most important thing about me is that I’m old.” – Nora Ephron
61. “To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose is the next best.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
62. “Sometimes we must undergo hardships, breakups, and narcissistic wounds, which shatter the flattering image that we had of ourselves, in order to discover two truths: that we are not who we thought we were; and that the loss of a cherished pleasure is not necessarily the loss of true happiness and well-being.” – Jean-Yves Leloup
63. “You can love someone so much…But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.” – John Green
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
64. “Lots of things can be fixed. Things can be fixed. But many times, relationships between people cannot be fixed, because they should not be fixed.” ― C. JoyBell C.
65. “Moving on is easy. It’s staying moved on that’s trickier.” ― Katerina Stoykova Klemer
Have you seen these toxic relationship quotes and sayings that will encourage you to love yourself?
You will also enjoy our article on ride or die quotes.
Inspirational relationship breakup quotes about moving on
According to a survey by the online therapy platform BetterHelp, 60% of people reported that a breakup had a negative impact on their mental health.
This statistic can be used to emphasize the importance of seeking support and taking care of one’s mental health during and after a breakup.
66. “And that’s when I know it’s over. As soon as you start thinking about the beginning, it’s the end.” ― Junot Díaz
67. “Even on my weakest days, I get a little bit stronger” ― Sara Evans
68. “Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change.” ― Shannon L. Alder
69. “Two words. Three vowels. Four consonants. Seven letters. It can either cut you open to the core and leave you in ungodly pain or it can free your soul and lift a tremendous weight off your shoulders. The phrase is: It’s over.” ― Maggi Richard
70. “We ruined each other by being together. We destroyed each other’s dreams.” ― Kate Chisman
71. “One of the best times for figuring out who you are and what you really want out of life? Right after a break-up.” ― Mandy Hale
72. “I wore your promise on my finger for one year, I’ll wear your name on my heart ‘till I die. Because you were my boy, you were my only boy forever.” ― Coco J. Ginger
73. “You go to work the next day pretending nothing happened. Your co-workers ask if everything’s okay and you tell them you’re just tired. And you’re trying to smile. And they’re trying to smile.” ― Richard Siken
74. “The quickest way to rectify that mistake (choosing the wrong person) is by learning from that, moving on, and choosing much more wisely in the future.” ― Greg Behrendt
75. “You don’t make me feel like you used to. That’s why I’m leaving. That’s why people leave each other. They come to their senses and get selfish again.” ― Henry Rollins
You will also enjoy our article on I’m done quotes.
More break up quotes to help you move on
A study by researchers at the University of Utah found that people who were able to see the positive aspects of their breakup tended to recover more quickly and experience less distress.
This finding can be used to encourage readers to try to find the silver lining in their breakup.
76. “When we are in love, we are convinced nobody else will do. But as time goes, others do do, and often do do, much much better.”― Coco J. Ginger
77. “I cannot compromise my respect for your love. You can keep your love, I will keep my respect.” ― Amit Kalantri
78. “I know my heart will never be the same but I’m telling myself I’ll be okay.” – Sara Evans
79. “We are all trying to get over the person who broke our hearts. We are all far from perfect.” – Alex Rosa
80. “To love someone enough to let them go, you had to let them go forever or you did not love them that much.” ― Diana Wynne Jones
81. “No matter how bad you want a person, if your hearts are in two different places, you’ll have to pass and move on.” – Alexandra Elle
82. “When someone loves you, there’s nothing they won’t do for you. When they stop loving you, there’s nothing they will.” – Matt Dun
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of I’m sorry quotes for when you can’t find the right words.
83. “No baby, you didn’t hurt me. You wrecked me. Know the difference.” – J.A. Anum
84. “Some people are meant to frame your destiny but not reach the destined destination with you.” – Adhish Mazumder
85. “It’s easy to fall in love, Ben. The hard part comes when you want out.” ― Colleen Hoover
86. “Bittersweet? No, just bitter, the taste of your tongue. Words you can’t have back, so they linger.” ― Coco J. Ginger
87. “Either give me your hand, or end it now, and put us both out of our misery” ― Judith McNaught
88. “I used to loathe ambivalence; now I adore it. Ambivalence is my new best friend.” ― Suzanne Finnamore
89. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.” – Jonathan Harnisch
90. “I used to know you the best and now I don’t even remember your name.” – Mya Waechtler
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of rejection quotes about life, love, and goals.
You will also enjoy our article on feeling lost quotes.
Breakup quotes to help ease the pain
A study by researchers at the University of Arizona found that individuals who were more resilient in the face of a breakup tended to fare better in terms of their emotional well-being.
This finding can be used to emphasize the importance of resilience and coping skills in navigating a breakup.
91. “If you really want closure… at some point, you have to shut the door.” — Jacki Wells Wunderlin
92. “The easiest way to teach someone how to treat you is to refuse to give them more opportunities to hurt you. Walk away…” — R.H. Sin
93. “Let go of your mistakes and failures. You can’t do anything about the past, but you can do something about right now.” — Joel Osteen
94. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can come together.”
95. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
96. “Heartbroken? Channel your sorrow to become worthy of love. The world will be yours.” – Tapan Ghosh
97. “Don’t cry when the sun is gone because the tears won’t let you see the stars.” – Violeta Parra
98. “Just because a relationship ends, it doesn’t mean it’s not worth having.” – Sarah Mlynowski
99. “When someone you love says goodbye you can stare long and hard at the door they closed and forget to see all the doors God has open in front of you.” – Shannon L. Alder
100. “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” – M. Kathleen Casey
You might also like these homewrecker quotes for when things fall apart.
Breakup quotes to help you move on and be happy again
101. “The saddest thing about love is that not only that it cannot last forever, but that heartbreak is soon forgotten.” – William Faulkner
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sad love quotes to help you deal with difficult emotions.
102. “I think it’s important to realize you can miss something, but not want it back.” – Paulo Coelho
103. “I will not try to convince you to love me, to respect me, to commit to me. I deserve better than that; I am better than that. Goodbye!”— Steve Maraboli
104. “You can only move on if you accept that it’s gone.” — The Goddess Rebellion
105. “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us” – Alexander Graham Bell
106. “Patience is key for getting over a breakup. That and trailing off your interaction after the breakup.”— Drake
107. “There’s an important difference between giving up and letting go.”– Jessica Hatchigan
108. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.”– Deborah Reber
109. “Life moves on and so should we”– Spencer Johnson
110. “Every day is a new day, and you’ll never be able to find happiness if you don’t move on.” – Carrie Underwood
You will also enjoy our article on Gravity Falls quotes.
Breakup quotes to inspire and teach
111. “I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go.” – Jeffrey McDaniel
112. “In order to truly value loyalty, you must first endure the affliction of betrayal.”― Thomas Merritt
113. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” — Socrates
114. “Some people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone, but that does not always mean they are supposed to get it back.”― Stephan Labossiere
115. “Sharp is the arrows of a broken heart.” – Cassandra Clare
116. “In the process of letting go you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself.”– Deepak Chopra
117. “To let go is to release the images and emotions, the grudges and fears, the clingings and disappointments of the past that bind our spirit.”– Jack Kornfield
118. “Whatever happens, happens. Accept things and move on.” – Corey Johnson
119. “Life is short. You have to be able to laugh at our pain or we never move on.” – Jeff Ross
120. “Don’t wait. If it’s not right, move on.” – Andy Lau
You will also enjoy our article on past quotes.
Breakup quotes to uplift your spirits
121. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” — Mark Twain
122. “Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love?” – Leo Buscaglia
123. “Failed relationships can be described as so much wasted makeup.” – Marian Keyes
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of makeup quotes about the power of looking good.
124. “Love is unconditional. Relationships are not.” – Grant Gudmunson
125. “Cheating and lying aren’t struggles. They’re reasons to break up.” – Patti Callahan Henry
126. “Don’t you dare, for one more second, surround yourself with people who are not aware of the greatness that you are.” – Jo Blackwell-Preston
127. “Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don’t.” – Stephen King
128. “Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.” – Patti Roberts
129. “Love lasts about seven years. That’s how long it takes for the cells of the body to totally replace themselves.” – Francoise Sagan
130. “My feet will want to walk to where you are sleeping but I shall go on living.” – Pablo Neruda
Positive breakup quotes to make you strong
131. “A single heartbreak teaches you more than what a lifetime of schooling can.”― Vineet Raj Kapoor
132. “I love the ones who are in my life and make it amazing and I thank the ones who left my life and made it even more fantastic.”― Mr. Never Give Up
133. “One doesn’t simply grieve the loss of a relationship. One grieves the loss of the possible future, as well as the wiping-out of the past.”― Katerina Stoykova-Klemer
134. “Being in a relationship has the tendency to deceive one into believing that there is someone without whom one cannot live.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
135. “That you were able to walk away, gives me my answer as plain as day.”― Alfa H
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of walk away quotes to help you find the motivation and courage you need to change your life.
136. “I wanted to say “don’t leave me,” but I’m so tired of begging people to stay.”― R. YS Perez
137. “We looked into one another’s eyes, and I think we both knew in that instant that the past was behind us. We could never be to each other what we had been once.”― Ashley Weave
138. “The broken heart. You think you will die, but you keep living, day after day after terrible day.”― Charles Dickens
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of wise Charles Dickens quotes on self-worth, love, and more.
139. “Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” – Lyndon B. Johnson
140. “Cease seeking a strangers heart to love when your own remains neglected.”― Sara Secora
141. “You’ve got to make a conscious choice every day to shed the old – whatever “the old” means for you.”– Sarah Ban Breathnach
142. “Sometimes you’re going to have to let one person go a thousand different times, a thousand different ways, and there’s nothing pathetic or abnormal about that. You are human.”― Heidi Priebe
143. “You loved him enough to let him leave… Now you need to love yourself enough to let him go.”― Ranata Suzuki
144. “Sometimes the hardest part isn’t letting go but rather learning to start over.”– Nicole Sobon
145. “It is important that we forgive ourselves for making mistakes. We need to learn from our errors and move on.”– Steve Maraboli
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of mistake quotes about learning from error.
Breakup quotes to enlighten you
146. “Sometimes a woman will look back on what she had, not because she wants to go there but to motivate her to do better.”― Reuben ” Mulah Truth ” Holmes II
147. “Real love moves freely in both directions. Don’t waste your time on anything else.” —Cheryl Strayed
148. “Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.” – Victoria Holt
149. “Most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.” —Elle Woods, Legally Blonde
150. “The hottest love has the coldest end.” – Socrates
151. “Eventually all the pieces fall into place… Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason.” —Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City
152. “All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.” – Mae West
153. “Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.” —Lucille Ball
154. “You know, a heart can be broken, but it keeps on beating, just the same.”― Fannie Flagg
155. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” —Oprah
Breakup quotes to help ease your pain
156. “All trust involves vulnerability and risk, and nothing would count as trust if there were no possibility of betrayal.” – Robert C. Solomon
157. “This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.”— Elizabeth Gilbert
158. “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.” — Mohadesa Najumi
159. “What we wait around a lifetime for with one person, we can find in a moment with someone else.”– Stephanie Klein
160. “Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.” — The Wizard of Oz
161. “What’s broken is broken—and I’d rather remember it as it was than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.”– Margaret Mitchell
162. “There is always a lesson of a lifetime to learn in every betrayal.” – Edmond Mbiaka
163. “I’m choosing happiness over suffering, I know I am. I’m making space for the unknown future to fill up my life with yet-to-come surprises.”— Elizabeth Gilbert
164. “Does it ever get lonely, thinking you could live without me?” — ‘Without Me’ by Halsey
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of lonely quotes to help you navigate solitide.
165. “Everyone’s allowed to be in love with the wrong person at some point. In fact, it’s a mistake not to be.”– Harriet Evans
Also, check out these new beginnings quotes to help you erase the past.
Breakup quotes to ease the pain of separation
166. How do you know when it’s over? Maybe when you feel more in love with your memories than with the person standing in front of you. – Gunnar Ardelius
167. “I’m going to smile and make you think I’m happy, I’m going to laugh, so you don’t see me cry, I’m going to let you go in style, and even if it kills me – I’m going to smile.” — Lone Star
168. “It was a mistake, you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you.” – David Levithan
169. “The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love, and to be greater than our suffering.” — Ben Okri
170. “I never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.” — Zsa Zsa Gabor
171. “Every time you thought you couldn’t keep moving forward, you did. Take a moment to appreciate your strength.” — Karen Salmanson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of moving quotes about the power of a new environment.
172. “Keeping baggage from the past will leave no room for happiness in the future.”― Wayne L Misner
173. “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
174. “What’s past is prologue, and the world awaits.” ― Lisa Mantchev
175. “You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back.” — Barbara De Angelis
More breakup quotes and sayings
176. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” – Herman Hesse
177. “If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him/her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate.” – C. JoyBell C.
178. “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” – Walt Disney
179. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
180. “A bridge can still be built, while the bitter waters are flowing beneath.” – Anthony Liccione
181. “Even on my weakest days I get a little bit stronger.” – Sara Evans
182. “Never love something so much that you can’t let go of it.” – Ginni Rometty
183. “Life is just a slide. Back and forth between loving and leaving, remembering and forgetting, holding on, and letting go.”– Nicole Lyons
184. “The greatest win is walking away and choosing not to engage in drama and toxic energy at all.”― Lalah Delia
185. “Life moves forward. The old leaves wither, die, and fall away, and the new growth extends forward into the light.”– Bryant McGill
Have you also read these love quotes for him to help you make your man feel special?
Breakup quotes to soothe your battered heart
186. “The hardest thing is not talking to someone you used to talk to every day.” — SumNan
187. “The heart was made to be broken.” — Oscar Wilde
188. “The hardest thing I’ll ever do is walk away still loving you.” — Tracy Lawrence
189. “We have to be whole people to find whole love” — Cheryl Strayed
190. “The way they leave tells you everything.” — Rupi Kaur
191. Pain makes you stronger, fear makes you braver, heartbreak makes you wiser.” — Drake
192. “You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them … but still move on without them.” — Mandy Hale
193. “The course of true love did never run smooth.” — William Shakespeare, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”
194. “Breakups can be sad, but sometimes tears are the price we pay for a freedom we need.” ― Steve Maraboli
195. “I didn’t lose you. You lost me. You’ll search for me inside of everyone you’re with and I won’t be found.” — R.H. Sin
Breakup quote to help you move forward in life
196. “Little by little
If suddenly you forget me
Do not look for me
For I shall already have forgotten you” – Pablo Neruda
197. “So you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on.” – Nicholas Sparks
198. “Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” – Steve Maraboli
199. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” – Steve Maraboli
200. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
201. “Girls you’ve gotta know when it’s time to turn the page.” – Tori Amos
202. “You can’t look back – you just have to put the past behind you, and find something better in your future.” – Jodi Picoult
203. “It was strange, really. A couple months ago, I had thought I couldn’t live without him. Apparently I could.” – Gabrielle Zevin
204. “I demolish my bridges behind me…then there is no choice but to move forward” – Fridtjof Nansen
205. “Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can’t build on it; it’s only good for wallowing in.” – Katherine Mansfield
Deep breakup quotes
206. “No one is worth wasting a gorgeous weekend over.”― Susane Colasanti
207. “When trees burn, they leave the smell of heartbreak in the air.” – Jodi Thomas
208. “Don’t worry. Just when you think your life is over, a new storyline falls from the sky and lands right in your lap.”― Rebekah Crane
209. “Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes just be an illusion.” – Javan
210. “Every day has a past. Every day has a tomorrow.”― Amy Meyerson
211. “I mean, at the end of the day, what the hell does it matter who I end up with if it can’t be you?” – Tabitha Suzuma
212. “I always knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh, but I never knew looking back on the laughs would make me cry.” – Dr. Seuss
213. “No matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.” – Faraaz Kazi
214. “Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.” – Mineko Iwasaki
215. “I pray that former rejection and deep hurts will not color what I see and hear now.” – Sue Augustine
Break up quotes to help you heal
216. “Let it hurt. Let it bleed. Let it heal. And let it go.” – Nikita Gill
217. “It’s sad but sometimes moving on with the rest of your life starts with goodbye.” – Carrie Underwood
218. “Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.” – Erika Taylor
219. “If you lost it, it’s because you’re meant to find something better. Trust, let go, and make room for what’s coming.” – Mandy Hale
220. “Sometimes in order to move the mind forward we must shift its gears out of reverse.”― Curtis Tyrone Jones
221. “Just because someone has been in your life for many years, doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be a point at which you finally decide to let go.” – Wilfred James Dolor
222. “Sometimes we can only find our true direction when we let the wind of change carry us.”― Mimi Novic
223. “I realized that there was no point or sense in chasing after happiness that had perished.”― Mikhail Lermontov
224. “Alone also means available for someone outstanding.” – Greg Behrendt
225. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
Breakup quotes to help you through this tough time
226. “Life goes on after a breakup.” — Andi Dorfman
227. “The heart will break, but broken live on.” — Lord Byron
228. “I can’t write another breakup record. That would be a real cliche.” — Adele
229. “It’s hard asking someone with a broken heart to fall in love again.” — Eric Kripke
230. “Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.” — Albert Camus
231. “Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.” — Henry Rollins
232. “I think when you go through a breakup, the first initial thing you do is put on music.” — Perrie Edwards
233. “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” — Ernest Hemingway
234. “I can speak for everybody in saying we’ve all been through a breakup to where you didn’t want it to be over.” — Morgan Wallen
235. “What you start learning is that to get over a breakup, you kind of have to live through the emotions and not run away from it because then it lasts longer.” — Bebe Rexha
Thought-provoking breakup quotes
236. “I don’t think breakups are ever easy for anybody. If they are, they aren’t much of a breakup.” – Chris Young
237. “If it doesn’t agree with your spirit let it go.”― Germany Kent
238. “Kiss away the past as you head towards the future.”― Imania Margria
239. “The person who doesn’t value you is blocking you from the one who will. Let them go.” —Robert Tew
240. “The most liberating moment, is the moment you finally let go.” ― Ava Harrison
241. “If you love someone, set them free. If they come back they’re yours; if they don’t they never were.” – Richard Bach
242. “I think the worst part about a breakup sometimes, if one could choose a worst part, would possibly be if you get out of a relationship, and you don’t recognize yourself because you changed a lot about you.” – Taylor Swift
243. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost
244. “The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.” – Carroll Bryant
245. “I’d rather have a broken arm than a broken heart.” – Christie Brinkley
Breakup quotes for him and her
246. “I miss your smile… but I miss mine more.”― Laurel House
247. “Don’t cry for someone who would love smiling when your tears are flowing.”
― Michael Bassey Johnson
248. “To get over a bad break up just get a good haircut. It really works”― Disha
249. “I thought I lost something this summer, but I just realized, I never needed it.” ― Nicole Christie
250. “If you want to call it quits, just tell me. Man up and say it to my face. Don’t just skulk around.”― J.M. Richards
251. “All the broken hearts in the world still beat.” ― Ingrid Michaelson
252. “A breakup is a loss to both parties; not only to he or she who is told that it’s over.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
253. “Don’t leave anything for anyone who is eventually going to leave you.”― Omer Dar
254. “Where does one run to escape from feelings?” ― B.J. Neblett
255. “So on a scale of one to Adele, how bad was this breakup?” ― Jennifer Lane
Break-up Quotes That Make You Learn From Previous Heartbreaks
256. “Moving on after a break up is a great way to get back on your feet and start feeling happy again.” — Tom Shields
257. “We’re not broken, just bent, and we can learn to love again.” — Pink
258. “If you don’t love me at my worst, then you don’t deserve me at my best.” — Marilyn Monroe
259. “It’s hard to find a good guy… all girls know that guys don’t think with their brains.” — Miley Cyrus
260. “No girl should ever forget that she doesn’t need anyone who doesn’t need her.” — Marilyn Monroe
261. “Though lovers be lost love shall not.” — Dylan Thomas
262. “It changes you a little bit every time you either break someone’s heart or get your heart broken.” — Amanda Seyfried
263. “I just always have to cry out a breakup, and then I can make peace with it pretty quickly.” — Brittany Murphy
264. “Know that no one is capable of making you upset without your consent.” — Wayne Dyer
265. “Don’t be reckless with other peoples hearts. And don’t put up with people that are reckless with yours.” — Kurt Vonnegut
Break Up Quotes To Help You Accept and Learn
266. “Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the one person who you thought would never hurt you.” — Gugu Mofokeng
267. “A breakup would imply she was my girlfriend. She was a girl who was my friend who is now a girl who is not my friend.” — Sheldon Cooper
268. “A relationship, I think, is like a shark. It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark.” — Alvy Singer
269. “The best way to mend a broken heart is time and girlfriends.” — Gwyneth Paltrow
270. “Mighty are they before their fall, Once fallen rattled are their thought, As a broken heart needs time to mend.” — Shreyas Mohandas
271. “When you are heartbroken it can be exhausting feeling so sad. You are either crying, trying not to cry or drained from all the crying yesterday.” — Ziella Bryars
272. “Let’s face it, when you are heartbroken you do not make the best decisions, and the decisions you make now will affect the rest of your healing journey.” — Tatiana Jerome
273. “All in all I learned a lesson from it though. You never see it coming you just get to see it go.” — Drake
274. “I thought I was your destination. Looks like I was just another stop on the line.” — Neil Gaiman
275. “There’s moments where I want to break down and cry, but not give up.” — Ashlee Simpson
Breakup quotes to make you feel better
276. “I think you still love me, but we can’t escape the fact that I’m not enough for you.”― Haruki Murakami
277. “What we learn is worth more than what we lose.”― Elizabeth Langston
278. “To me our love was everything and you were my whole life. It is not very pleasant to realize that to you it was only an episode.”― W. Somerset Maugham
279. “I’ve learned that just because I don’t know how to break up with someone, doesn’t mean they were worth keeping.”― Steve Maraboli
280. “I will not try to convince you to love me, to respect me, to commit to me. I deserve better than that; I AM BETTER THAN THAT…Goodbye.”― Steve Maraboli
281. “Any woman has the power to be truly happy, with or without a man.”― Linda Alfiori
282. “I have fooled life and life has fooled me. We are quits. I say good-bye.” ― Richard Freiherr von Krafft-Ebing
283. “And I hope above all you give your heart to someone again no matter how many broken promises you have received.”― Nikki Rowe
284. “You wanted to see the world. And yet, all I want is to see you.”― Sade Andria Zabala
285. “If someone breaks up, it’s an opportunity to revamp yourself; this time better and stronger than before.”― Vikrmn
Break Up Quotes That Allow You To Cry Over It and Let Go
286. “You’ll get through this. And I know it’s impossible to believe right now, but it gets better. Trust me.” — Susane Colasanti
287. “It is some relief to weep; grief is satisfied and carried off by tears.” — Ovid
288. “It took a while for her to figure out she could run but when she did she was long gone, Long gone.” — Keith Urban
289. “I tried to keep us together, you were busy keeping secrets.” — Drake
290. “I can speak for most songwriters – those breakup love songs are so easy to write, as far as the inspiration and all that.” — Lucinda Williams
291. “I went through my first big breakup, with a boyfriend who I had been with for more than two years. He had been one of my dancers, and it was my first love and his.” — Christina Aguilera
292. “My ex send late night text cause she don’t know to let go.” — Drake
293. “He who never puts his trust in any man will never be deceived.” — Leonardo da Vinci
294. “When you feel in love with an ex, it isn’t that you still love him, but that you are simply stuck in the idea of what YOU did wrong.” — Robin Lopez
295. “The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.” — John Vance Cheney
Break Up Quotes To Focus On Other Things That Make You Happy
296. “Doctoring her seemed to her as absurd as putting together the pieces of a broken vase. Her heart was broken. Why would they try to cure her with pills and powders?” ― Leo Tolstoy
297. “It’s afterward you realize that the feeling of happiness you had with a man didn’t necessarily prove that you loved him.” ― Marguerite Duras
298. “I’m not crying because of you; you’re not worth it. I’m crying because my delusion of who you were was shattered by the truth of who you are.” ― Steve Maraboli
299. “And I shall find some girl perhaps, and a better one than you. With eyes as wise, but kindlier, and lips as soft, but true, and I daresay she will do.” ― Rupert Brooke
300. “Sometimes, I don’t know what haunts me more. The memories of you… Or the happy person I used to be.” ― Ranata Suzuki
301. “You don’t need closure. You just need to give yourself permission to move on.” ― Steve Harvey
302. “Will cause so much sadness and pain, / Thank you for your understanding. / Things just can’t be continued between us; / But our friendship will remain if you will ask.” ― Ging Alburo D.
303. “When you leave weary of me without a word, I shall gently let you go.” ― Kim Sowol
304. “I think it’s time to take a risk / by ending now and starting new. / You’ll always be a part of me on the inside / and I’ll always have our memories to share.” ― Shelby Floro
305. “It’s difficult for me to imagine the rest of my life without you. But I suppose I don’t have to imagine it… I just have to live it.” ― Ranata Suzuki
Break Up Quotes on Love, Loss and Moving On
306. “The only way to survive a break-up is to move on and get over it.” ― Taylor Swift
307. “It is not the end of the world, and it is not the end of you. It is simply the end of a particular chapter in your life.” ― Mandy Hale
308. “I have seen the breakups between people who love each other and rush into getting married too quickly and I do not want to make that mistake.” ― Paris Hilton
309. “Two separate, distinct personalities, not separate at all, but inextricably bound, soul and body and mind, to each other, how did we get so far apart so fast?” ― Judith Guest
310. “Mad cause he aint like me… Oh you mad cause nobody ever did it like me.” ― Drake
311. “Sobering up was responsible for breaking up my marriage. That’s what it couldn’t stand.” ― James Taylor
312. “If you say, I love you, then you have already fallen in love with language, which is already a form of break up and infidelity.” ― Jean Baudrillard
313. “New clothes are a great way to deal after a breakup. A good mix CD also helps you get through it and… you know, 72 hours of ice cream.” ― Jennifer Love Hewitt
314. “There are very few people who are not ashamed of having been in love when they no longer love each other.” ― Francois de La Rochefoucauld
315. “Comfort me with apples, for I am sick of love.” ― Solomon
Did these breakup quotes resonate with you?
Breakups are never easy, and these breakup quotes definitely prove that!
But it’s a necessary evil in life and will ultimately be the clear resolution you’ll see once the storm passes.
You may feel sad and hopeless right now at this moment.
But stay strong and have faith in both life and yourself, and know that all this heartache will soon pass.
Whatever it is you’re going through right now, we assure you that you’re not alone on your journey.
We hope the breakup quotes above will help you heal from your heartache.
Did you enjoy these breakup quotes?
Which of the quotes resonated with you best?
Let us know in the comment section below.
June 29, 2019 at 5:55 AM
Thank you for the beautiful quotes & sayings.Its really helpful and soothing.There is always a new start and new doors for every end .To overcome the pain we need to accept that we are got hurt and reading these lines i realized, accepted and moving on.
Thank you so much dear.
Dr. Nikki Martinez
July 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM
You are so welcome, and thank you so taking the time to share that. I am so glad to hear it. – Dr. Nikki Martinez
October 6, 2019 at 6:15 PM
This is so true. Sometimes it’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel or that’s there is happiness after pain. But definitely true that once we learn to love and know ourselves, accept the good and the bad, we can be better. We don’t have to let the bad circumstances define our lives. This all was everything I needed. I thank my lovely friend for sending this to me.
October 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM
This quotes really inspire me ““It’s easy to fall in love, Ben. The hard part comes when you want out.” ― Colleen Hoover” thank you for sharing these quotes list.
Dr. Nikki Martinez
January 31, 2019 at 5:29 PM
You are welcome. Thank you for taking the time to say so. – Dr.Nikki Martinez
July 27, 2018 at 11:12 PM
Really the inspiring quotes for me. Thanks for sharing. I am going through the situation in which I love my girlfriend so much, but every moments with her is heart breaking. I am breaking with her very soon, have taken a hard decision. Every time feel so painful but I know its really important for me.
Dr. Nikki Martinez
January 31, 2019 at 5:27 PM
Thank you for sharing that. I am sorry I did not see this before now, but hope that you are well. – Dr. Nikki Martinez