Ever since Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez stepped onto the political scene, she’s made waves and turned heads.
She’s no stranger to controversy or headlines, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez lets her hard work speak over the sound of her critics.
Our latest collection of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quotes will inspire you to be the change you want to see and go for your dreams even if others want to hold you down.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is an American politician, activist, and community organizer who became the youngest woman to serve in Congress in the history of the United States.
A self-described socialist, the 29-year-old has been the U.S. Representative for New York’s 14th congressional district since January 3, 2019.
She shocked political observers in June 2018 after defeating 10-term incumbent Congressman Joe Crowley, in the Democratic primary for New York’s 14th District by nearly 14 points.
A young, working-class person of color who is fluent in the culture of the internet and who is not easily frightened by criticism, Ocasio-Cortez is an inspiration to many young people.
In that respect, here is our collection of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quotes from the rapidly rising star of the Democratic party.
Don’t forget to also read these Kamala Harris quotes that will inspire and galvanize you.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Quotes Clarifying Her Positions
1. “You don’t have to be perfect, but you do have to be 100% committed.”
– Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
2. “Working-class Americans want a clear champion, and there is nothing radical about moral clarity in 2018.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
3. “Give people the respect of your honest opinion, and always meet them where they’re at.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
4. “Capitalism has not always existed in the world and will not always exist in the world.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
5. “I’ve always felt that elections should be joyous, celebratory events.”
– Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
6. “There is no such thing as talking about class without there being implications of the racial history of the United States. You just can’t do it.”
– Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
7. “The biggest hurdle that our communities have is cynicism – saying it’s a done deal, who cares; there’s no point to voting. If we can get somebody to care, it’s a huge victory for the movement and the causes we’re trying to advance.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
8. “This nation is never beyond remedy, it is never beyond hope, it is never too broken to fix. We will be here, and we are going to rock the world for the next two years.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
9. “There’s this false notion that you have to separate and choose between issues of class and issues of race. What people do when they say that you need to separate class from race is that they are really just saying that people of color should come second.”- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
10. “I believe that every American should have stable, dignified housing; health care; education — that the most very basic needs to sustain modern life should be guaranteed in a moral society.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Powerful and inspirational Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quotes
11. “People tell you things. And they tell you what they believe. And they tell you what they want for themselves, for you, they tell you their stories.”
– Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
12. “I’m not running from the left; I’m running from the bottom. I’m running in fierce advocacy for working-class New Yorkers.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
13. “Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their kids.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
14. “There’s this false notion that you have to separate and choose between issues of class and issues of race. What people do when they say that you need to separate class from race is that they are really just saying that people of color should come second.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
15. “I’m an educator. I’m an organizer.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
16. “We have built power. We have organized. What we have built is permanent. No. Matter. What.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
17. “I wake up every day, and I’m a Puerto Rican girl from the Bronx. Every single day.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
18. “Change takes courage.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
19. “In my opinion, if women and gender-expanding people want to run for office we can’t knock on anybody’s doors, we have to build our own house.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
20. “I don’t think any person in America should die because they are too poor to live.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quotes and sayings
21. “Campaigns are so much more expensive than people think they are. Just to keep the lights on is several thousand dollars a month.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
22. “I understand the pain of working-class Americans because I have experienced the pain.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
23. “I want to speak to people directly as much as possible.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
24. “Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
25. “I’m very hands-on about social media. That’s my voice.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of thought-provoking social media quotes.
26. “When people feel like they are being spoken directly to, I do feel like… they’ll do things like turn out in an off-year, mid-year primary.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
27. “I don’t like having people do little things for me.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
28. “I think – I do think that we have to have a secure border. We need to make sure that people are, in fact, documented. But that doesn’t mean that we threaten people’s lives.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
29. “We have to stick to the message: What are we proposing to the American people? Not, ‘What are we fighting against?'” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
30. “It’s really scary or it’s easy to generate fear around an idea or around an -ism when you don’t provide any substance to it.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Other insightful Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quotes
31. “We must lean on others to strive on our own.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
32. “Justice is about making sure that being polite is not the same thing as being quiet. In fact, often times, the most righteous thing you can do is shake the table.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
33. “I was born in a place where your ZIP code determines your destiny.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
34. “Healthcare as a human right, it means that every child, no matter where you are born, should have access to a college or trade-school education if they so choose it, and I think no person should be homeless if we can have public structures and public policy to allow for people to have homes and food and lead a dignified life in the United States.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
35. “Mentors of mine were under a big pressure to minimize their femininity to make it. I’m not going to do that. That takes away my power. I’m not going to compromise who I am.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
36. “Women like me aren’t supposed to run for office.” – Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Which of these Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quotes is your favorite?
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the millennial, socialist political novice who went from bartender to become the youngest woman ever elected to Congress.
Ocasio-Cortez grew up in a working class family in the Bronx.
Her father, who died of cancer in the middle of the 2008 recession, ran his own small business and her Puerto Rican mother cleaned houses.
But despite her humble beginnings, Ocasio-Cortez has not been afraid to rise to a leadership position.
Hopefully, these quotes will motivate and give you the courage to fight for your dreams and goals; regardless of where you are.
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.
February 24, 2021 6:00 AM EST