Aspergers and Autism Quotes in Honor of World Autism Day
People living with Autism are different, not less, and these Autism quotes will remind you of it.
November 9, 2022 2:59 AM EST
These Aspergers and autism quotes will reveal to you just how much a person with autism can achieve and that they should never, for any reason, be treated like they weren’t destined for greatness.
Autism is not something that you can see.
Many people who live with autism look just like any other ordinary person, but in their mind, the world seems different from what it would to someone not on the spectrum.
In the comment section below, let us know which of these autism quotes resonated with you the most.
What are the benefits of reading these autism quotes?
People living with autism have it hard enough, and autism awareness is crucial to better their quality of life and teach others to practice kindness.
In honor of World Autism Day, here are some of our favorite quotes about Aspergers and Autism.
These quotes will help you understand more about autism and:
- life and love
- the perception of those on the spectrum
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Aspergers and Autism quotes in honor of World Autism Day
1. “Nobel prize-calibre geniuses often have certain core autistic features at their heart.” – Allan Snyder
2. “The difference between high-functioning and low-functioning is that high-functioning means your deficits are ignored, and low- functioning means your assets are ignored.” – Laura Tisoncik
You will also enjoy our article on Ghostbusters quotes.
3. “Patience. Patience. Patience. Work to view my autism as a different ability rather than a disability. Look past what you may see as limitations and see the gifts autism has given me. It may be true that I’m not good at eye contact or conversation, but have you noticed that I don’t lie, cheat at games, tattle on my classmates, or pass judgment on other people? Also true that I probably won’t be the next Michael Jordan. But with my attention to fine detail and capacity for extraordinary focus, I might be the next Einstein. Or Mozart. Or Van Gogh.” – Ellen Notbohm
4. “Years before doctors informed me of my high-functioning autism and the disconnect it causes between person and language, I had to figure out the world as best I could. I was a misfit. The world was made up of words. But I thought and felt and sometimes dreamed in a private language of numbers.” – Daniel Tammet
5. “Some people with autism may not be able to speak or answer to their name, but they can still hear your words and feel your kindness.” – Unknown
6. “There needs to be a lot more emphasis on what a child CAN DO instead of what he can not do.” – Dr. Temple Grandin
7. “Children with autism are colorful – they are often very beautiful and, like the rainbow, they stand out.”― Adele Devine
8. “Why should I cry for not being an apple, when I was born an orange, I’d be crying for an illusion, I may as well cry for not being a horse.” – Donna Williams
9. “Autism can’t define me. I define autism.” – Kerry Magro
10. “We cry, we scream, we hit out and break things. But still, we don’t want you to give up on us. Please, keep battling alongside us.” – Naoki Higashida
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of disability quotes to help reevaluate how you think about disabilities.
Autism and Asperger’s quotes about life and love
11. “I might hit developmental and societal milestones in a different order than my peers, but I am able to accomplish these small victories on my own time.” – Haley Moss
12. “If they can’t learn the way we teach, we teach the way they learn.” – O. Ivar Lovaas
13. “When a family focuses on ability instead of the disability, all things are possible…Love and acceptance is key. We need to interact with those with autism by taking an interest in their interests.” – Amanda Rae Ross
14. “There is nothing to be ashamed of. Every child is a blessing.”
15. “Autism is part of my child, it’s not everything he is. My child is so much more than a diagnosis.” – S.L. Coelho
16. “Kids need to be encouraged to stretch their shine!” – Amanda Friedman
17. “Someone with
#Autism has taught me love needs no words.”
18. “To measure the success of our societies, we should examine how well those with different abilities, including persons with autism, are integrated as full and valued members.” – Ban Ki-Moon
19. “I always find it kind of funny that normal people are always saying autistic children ‘live in their own little world.’ When you work with animals for a while you start to realize you can say the same thing about normal people. There’s a great big, beautiful world out there that a lot of normal folks are just barely taking in. Autistic people and animals are seeing a whole register of the visual world normal people can’t, or don’t.” – Dr. Temple Grandin
I am different. Not less.” – Dr. Temple Grandin
Autism quotes that will change the way you think
When enough people care about autism or diabetes or global warming, it helps everyone, even if only a tiny fraction actively participate.” – Seth Godin
22. “It takes a village to raise a child. It takes a child with autism to raise the consciousness of that village.” – Elaine Hall
23. “I’ve learned that every human being, with or without disabilities, needs to strive to do their best, and by striving for happiness you will arrive at happiness. For us, you see, having autism is normal—so we can’t know for sure what your ‘normal’ is even like. But so long as we can learn to love ourselves, I’m not sure how much it matters whether we’re normal or autistic.” – Naoki Higashida
24. “There’s a saying within the Asperger community: if you’ve met one person with Asperger’s syndrome, you’ve met one person with Asperger’s syndrome… Within this condition, beneath this label, the variety of personality, of humor, of behavior, is infinite.” – Hugh Dancy
25. “Don’t think that there’s a different, better child ‘hiding’ behind the autism. This is your child. Love the child in front of you. Encourage his strengths, celebrate his quirks, and improve his weaknesses, the way you would with any child.” – Claire Scovell LaZebnik
26. “Children with autism develop all kinds of enthusiasms… perhaps focusing on one topic gives the child a sense of control, of predictability and security in a world that can be unpredictable and feel scary.” – Barry M. Prizant
27. “Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” – Frank Zappa
28. “Autism… offers a chance for us to glimpse an awe-filled vision of the world that might otherwise pass us by.”- Dr. Colin Zimbleman
29. “Autism makes you listen louder. It makes you pay attention to an emotional level as well as an intellectual level.”- Jace King
30. “Your child with autism has unlimited potential, just like everyone else.” – Dr. Temple Grandin
Autism quotes to bring awareness
31. “We need to learn to accept and celebrate our differences. And we need to continue our research in Autism Spectrum Disorder in order to understand how we can best lend a helping hand.” – Alan Rosales
32. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” — Dr. Seuss
33. “The most interesting people you’ll find are ones that don’t fit into your average cardboard box. They’ll make what they need, they’ll make their own boxes.” –Dr. Temple Grandin
34. “His autism isn’t contagious but his smile is.” – Anonymous Autism Parent
35. “English is my 2nd language. Autism is my first.” – Dani Bowman
36. “On World Autism Awareness Day we speak out against discrimination, celebrate the diversity of our global community and strengthen our commitment to inclusion for people with autism.” – Antonio Guterres, United Nations
37. “We contain the shapes of trees and the movement of rivers and stars within us.” – Patrick Jasper Lee
38. “What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the gene pool? You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done.” – Dr. Temple Grandin
39. “Autism is like a rainbow. It has a bright side and a darker side. But every shade is important and beautiful.” – Rosie Tennant Doran
40. “Autism is a mental developmental disorder and its something that makes it very difficult for people to communicate and form relationships’… don’t you think it’s time we came up with a new definition?” – Kevin Chapman, YouTuber
41. “I look at autism like a bus accident, and you don’t become cured from a bus accident, but you can recover.” — Jenny McCarthy
42. “On World autism awareness Day there is a global recognition not only of autism but also the immense potential of persons with autism.” – Imran Khan, Pakistan Prime Minister
43. “It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential.” — Hans Asperger
More autism quotes and sayings
44. “I am autistic and I am proud.” – Sez Francis, Autism Advocate
45. “Autism is really more of a difference to be worked with rather than a monolithic enemy that needs to be slain or destroyed.” – Stephen Shore, PhD
46. “On the other hand, I think cats have Asperger’s. Like me, they’re smart. And like me, sometimes they simply need to be left alone.” — Jodi Picoult
47. “Even for parents of children that are not on the spectrum, there is no such thing as a normal child.” – Violet Stevens
48. “I also have Asperger’s but I can manage it. It wasn’t diagnosed until the early Eighties when my wife persuaded me to see a doctor. One of my symptoms included my obsession with ghosts and law enforcement — I carry around a police badge with me, for example. I became obsessed by Hans Holzer, the greatest ghost hunter ever. That’s when the idea of my film Ghostbusters was born.” — Dan Aykroyd
49. “Who do you think made the first stone spears? The Asperger guy. If you were to get rid of all the autism genetics, there would be no more Silicon Valley.” – Dr. Temple Grandin
50. “Autism is not contagious, but my smile is.” – Unknown
51. “If I could snap my fingers and be nonautistic, I would not. Autism is part of what I am.” – Dr. Temple Grandin
52. “Autism doesn’t have to define a person. Artists with autism are like anyone else: They define themselves through hard work and individuality.” – Adrienne Bailon
53. “I see people with Asperger’s syndrome as a bright thread in the rich tapestry of life.” – Tony Attwood
54. “Autistic today. Genius tomorrow.”- Unknown
55. “Autism is part of my child. It’s not everything he is. My child is so much more than a diagnosis.” – S.L. Coelho
56. “Remember a person with Autism isn’t a set of symptoms or statistics always remember and remind them that they’re a person first.” – Paul Isaacs
Inspiring Autism Quotes for Awareness
57. “If you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism.” – Dr. Stephen Shore
58. “And now I know it is perfectly natural for me not to look at someone when I talk. Those of us with Asperger’s are just not comfortable doing it. In fact, I don’t really understand why it’s considered normal to stare at someone’s eyeballs.” – John Elder Robison
59. “I’ve listened enough. It’s time for me to speak, however it may sound. Through an electronic device, my hands, or my mouth. Now it’s your time to listen. Are you ready?” – Neal Katz
60. “Our wounds and hurts and fears are in our eyes. Humans think they build ‘walls’ for internal privacy. They think eye contact is about honesty but they mostly lie because they think they can hide their intent. Eye contact is invasive.” – Carol Ann Edscorn
61. “Although people with autism look like other people physically, we are in fact very different… We are more like travelers from the distant, distant past. And if, by our being here, we could help the people of the world remember what truly matters for the Earth, that might give us quiet pleasure.” – Naoki Higashida
62. “Negative words carry negative vibration. Positive words carry positive vibration. What do you want your child to reflect back to you, the label of disordered or the label of gifted in a new way?” – Suzy Miller
63. “I want Elijah to know that he is loved just the way he is.” – Gee Vero
64. “What makes a child gifted and talented may not always be good grades in school, but a different way of looking at the world and learning.” – Chuck Grassley
65. “Not everyone is perfect. There is always an imperfect side to everyone,” – Finn Christie
66. “The way we look at our children and their limitations is precisely the way they will feel about themselves. We set the examples, and they learn by taking our cue from us.” – Amalia Starr
Autism Quotes To Make Autistic People A Part Of The Society
67. “Do not fear people with Autism. Embrace them. Do not spite people with Autism. Unite them. Do not deny people with Autism. Accept them, for then their abilities will shine.” — Paul Isaacs
68. “Autism is as much a part of humanity as is the capacity to dream.” — Kathleen Seidel
69. “Autism is about having a pure heart and being very sensitive. It is about finding a way to survive in an overwhelming, confusing world… It is about developing differently, at a different pace and with different leaps.” — Trisha Van Berkel
70. “Autistic people are individuals. We are not all math geniuses, we don’t all like trains. I am hopeless with technology and much prefer painting. There is no ‘typical Autistic.’ But I think we probably all like being respected and validated.” — Jeanette Purkis
71. “…when experts speak of social deficits in autism, they can neither imagine accompanying benefits nor critically examine their own neurologies. How about a new slogan? Feel globally. Perceive locally.” — Ralph James Savarese
72. “Be thankful for autism. God shines brightest in weakness, and it comes with strengths that enable us to fill certain job roles better than others would (a talent, if you will).” — Peter Lantz
73. “Humane storytelling is the way to advance society’s understanding of #Autism as it has the potential to change people’s hearts and minds.” — Tom Clements
74. “[So-called] Mild autism doesn’t mean one experiences autism mildly… It means YOU experience their autism mildy. You may not know how hard they’ve had to work to get to the level they are.” — Adam Walton
75. “A person with autism hears every sound intensely magnified. Thus, if the tone of voice is harsh or strict, they will feel scared and threatened and, consequently, may inadvertently scream or even attack. Aggressive behavior is brought on by fear.” — Joao Carlos Costa
76. “Autism is here to stay and may be considered a part of the diversity of the human gene pool.” — Dr. Stephen Shore
Which quote about autism speaks to you?
Autism is a complex psychological disorder.
Understanding what it is and knowing that real people live with it every day is an important part of being able to offer support.
Let us know which of these autism quotes resonated with you in the comment section below.
If you found this article helpful, please share it with your friends on social media!
October 5, 2019 at 10:17 AM
In case if you didn’t realize, I’m autistic and I’m proud of it, I am special that way and it makes me happy to see how every autistic kid has their on little vision in this word!! Autism is a great thing!! ❤️❤️