Find the courage to overcome your fears with these empowering bravery quotes!
According to Merriam-webster.com, bravery means “the quality or state of having or showing mental or moral strength to face danger, fear, or difficulty” or “the state of being brave: courage.”
You might also enjoy these related articles:
There are many times in life when we need to exercise bravery, including:
- Admitting you were wrong – This is even tougher when you must do this in front of others
- Standing up for your beliefs – Don’t bow down to others’ beliefs; yours have as much value as anyone else’s
- Saying No – You do not need to agree to everything, and although it can be hard to say no, especially to someone you respect, say no when it’s appropriate or necessary
Read these bravery quotes to help you find strength in these relatable situations.
Top Bravery Quotes
These quotes will motivate you to be braver in your life.
1. “Fortune and love favor the brave.” — Ovid
2. “He who is brave is free.” — Lucius Annaeus Seneca
3. “It is easy to be brave from a safe distance.” — Aesop
4. “Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave.” — Indira Gandhi
5. “Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado.” — Menander
6. “Like timidity, bravery is also contagious.” — Premchand
7. “The best hearts are ever the bravest.” — Laurence Sterne
8. “Danger gleams like sunshine to a brave man’s eyes.” — Euripides
9. “Bravery never goes out of fashion.” — William Makepeace Thackeray
10. “A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.” — Veronica Roth
Bravery Quotes to Inspire You to Action
If you need a little courage, these quotes will encourage you to move forward and choose bravery.
11. “If you want to change things, it requires bravery.” — Naftali Bennett
12. “You have to fail in order to practice being brave.” — Mary Tyler Moore
13. “Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.” — Paulo Coelho
14. “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” — John Wayne
15. “No man can be brave who considers pain the greatest evil of life.” — Cicero
16. “Bravery is being the only one who knows you’re afraid.” — Franklin P. Jones
17. “You’ll never do a whole lot unless you’re brave enough to try.” — Dolly Parton
18. “Cowards are cruel, but the brave love mercy and delight to save.” — John Gay
19. “Scared is what you’re feeling. Brave is what you’re doing.” — Emma Donoghue
20. “You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will.” — Stephen King
Courage and Bravery Quotes to Live By
Many famous people throughout history have shared their thoughts and opinions on what it takes to be brave.
21. “Tell a man that he is brave, and you help him become so.” — Thomas Carlyle
22. “No one is so brave that he is not disturbed by something unexpected.” — Julius Caesar
23. “I beg you take courage; the brave soul can mend even disaster.” — Catherine the Great
24. “The future doesn’t belong to the fainthearted; it belongs to the brave.” — Ronald Reagan
25. “A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.” — Mahatma Gandhi
26. “All brave men love; for he only is brave who has affections to fight for.” — Nathaniel Hawthorne
27. “We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.” — Helen Keller
28. “Dare to be brave today, and trust that when you extend your wings, you will fly.” — Mary E. DeMuth
29. “A true knight is fuller of bravery in the midst than in the beginning of danger.” — Sir P. Sidney
30. “Fortune always favors the brave, and never helps a man who does not help himself.” — P.T. Barnum
Memorable Bravery Quotes to Serve as a Reminder
Write these quotes down and display them around your house as a reminder of what bravery looks like.
31. “Gold is good in its place; but loving, brave, patriotic men are better than gold.” — Abraham Lincoln
32. “The brave man carves out his fortune, and every man is the sum of his own works.” — Miguel de Cervantes
33. “Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts.” — Marcus Tullius Cicero
34. “Physical bravery is an animal instinct; moral bravery is much higher and truer courage.” — Wendell Phillips
35. “It is the perpetual dread of fear, the fear of fear, that shapes the face of a brave man.” — Georges Bernanos
36. “Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative place where no one else has ever been.” — Alan Alda
37. “Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others.” — Aristotle
38. “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” — Thomas Paine
39. “Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.” — Billy Graham
40. “Courage isn’t having the strength to go on—it is going on when you don’t have strength.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Bravery Quotes to Encourage You to Take Action
If you’re still struggling with courage, these bravery quotes can help.
41. “Being brave isn’t the absence of fear. Being brave is having that fear but finding a way through it.” — Bear Grylls
42. “Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline.” — Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus
43. “Conscience is the root of all true courage; if a man would be brave, let him obey his conscience.” — James Freeman Clarke
44. “The only happiness a brave person ever troubles themselves in asking about is happiness enough to get their work done.” — Thomas Carlyle
45. “Brave means that we will try to create something for ourselves. Brave means never going backward when we can go forward.” — David Wagner
46. “Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
47. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.” — Mary Anne Radmacher
48. “Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war.” — Thucydides
49. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” — Nelson Mandela
50. “The world is in a constant conspiracy against the brave. It’s the age-old struggle—the roar of the crowd on one side and the voice of your conscience on the other.” — Douglas MacArthur
Small Steps to Be Braver
If you struggle to be brave, here are some ideas to help you show bravery:
- Admit you are scared, but then move forward anyway
- Focus on what you can control and don’t worry about what you cannot control
- Reject perfectionism – don’t be afraid to fail or to have others think you did
Did you find any of these bravery quotes particularly meaningful or wise?
If you did, post it and any comments about being brave in the comment section below.
Also, feel free to share this article via social media so others can benefit from it as well!