Check out these feather quotes to learn more about what feathers are and how birds and people use them.
Feathers are epidermal growth on most birds that form an outer covering, and they are instrumental in repelling water, insulating the animal, and helping in the bird’s flight.
In addition to being so imperative to birds, feathers have been widely used by humans for ages.
Some of the uses of feathers include such things as filler for pillows, bedding, coats, sleeping bags, and more, as they are soft and provide insulation.
Feathers are also used as quill pens, decorations, and arrow fletching and have cultural and religious value to many groups of people.
Enjoy these Feather quotes to learn more about the versatility of feathers!
You will also enjoy our article on eagle quotes.
Favorite feather quotes
Feathers are used in so many different applications, as shown in the following quotes.
1. “Flight without feathers is not easy.” — Plautus
2. “A heart without dreams is like a bird without feathers.” — Suzy Kassem
3. “Soft feathers cannot make a cruel bird kind.” — Munia Khan
4. “Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wing of time.” — Jean-Paul
5. “Praises for our past triumphs are as feathers to a dead bird.” — Paul Eldridge
6. “It is only fine feathers that make fine birds.” — Aesop
7. “A brain of feathers, and a heart of lead.” — Alexander Pope
8. “If feathers don’t ruffle, nothing flies.” — Jessica Raine
9. “Words and feathers the wind carries away.” — George Herbert
10. “May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather.” — Edward Ramsay
Feather Quotes on the Beauty of Feathers
Feathers are beautiful and vary between bird species and the sex of the bird.
11. “In the foliage / A kind token from a bird / Feather in Fall’s grass” — Marie Helen Abramyan
12. “I enjoy how women dressed in the 1920s with the shimmering jewels and rich feathers.” — Janelle Monae
13. “It is true I am rather taken up with dress; but as to feathers, everyone wears them, and it would seem extraordinary if I did not.” — Marie Antoinette
14. “Feathers are superior to fur, even. They’re so beautiful, and nature uses such amazing colors.” — Bibhu Mohapatra
15. “In painting feathers, you want to create the look of feathers, but if you try to paint all the feathers, you have nothing but disaster.” — John O’Neill
16. “When you’re surrounded by feathers and sequins and ridiculous Lycra outfits, it’s impossible not to have a smile on your face.” — Catherine Martin
17. “I have to remind myself that some birds aren’t meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright.” — Stephen King
18. “A mourning dove’s beauty is an understated one: the colors of its feathers ranging through various shades of gray and drab violet, often with a striking splash of turquoise around the eyes.” — Jonathan Miles
19. “Style is the feather in the arrow, not the feather in the cap.” — George Sampson
20. “I caught a glimpse of happiness, and saw it was a bird on a branch, fixing to take wing.” — Richard Peck
Feather quotes from analogies and stories
Feathers are used in many analogies and sayings to bring hope and comfort.
21. “I am a free man. I feel as light as a feather.” — Javier Perez De Cuellar
22. “If you keep your feathers well oiled, the water of criticism will run off as from a duck’s back.” — Ellen Swallow Richards
23. “I was so blessed. The first person I gave my heart to was an angel who plucked the feathers off his wings and built a nest for it.” — Kamand Kojouri
24. “The haft of the arrow had feathered with one of the eagle’s own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.” — Aesop
25. “Silence fell like a hammer made of feathers. It left holes in the shape of the sound of the sea.” — Terry Pratchett
26. “Feathers fall; soft as a song, light as morning dreams.” — Eirene Evripidou
27. “And maybe… you were a little fat bear cub with no wings and no feathers.” — Else Holmelund Minarik
28. “Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul—and sings the tunes without the words—and never stops at all.” — Emily Dickinson
29. “The soul, light as a feather, fluid as water, innocent as a child, responds to every movement of grace like a floating balloon.” — Jean-Pierre De Caussade
30. “The feather was a thing; when I was a kid, we used to find feathers around the house, and whenever we found them, my mum used to say it was my nan leaving them around for us to find, so that was quite sweet.” — Liam Payne
Funny feather quotes
You may get a laugh from the following feather quotes.
31. “Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.” — Chuck Palahniuk
32. “I don’t have feathers, but I feel like a bird sometimes.” — Yves Rossy
33. “I embarrass my children, I think. I am the lady in feathers in the carpool line.” — Mia Sara
34. “Why slap them on the wrist with a feather when you can belt them over the head with a sledgehammer?” — Katharine Hepburn
35. “I was one of the people who was taught not to ruffle any feathers. Of course, I have no problem ruffling feathers.” — Anne Heche
36. “I don’t know if it’s animalistic or what, but men become like peacocks with their feathers up when women are around.” — Bradley Cooper
37. “Life is always either; a tightrope or a feather bed—Give me the tightrope.” — Edith Wharton
38. “Imagine if birds were tickled by feathers. You’d see a flock of birds come by, laughing hysterically!” — Steven Wright
39. “A peacock that rests on his feathers is just another turkey.” — Dolly Parton
40. “Once you sleep on feathers, you can’t go back to sleeping on the floor.” — Lenny Bruce
More feather quotes to make you think
These feather quotes will make you think differently about the world around you.
41. “I am a feather for each wind that blows.” — William Shakespeare
42. “Life is short. It can come and go like a feather in the wind.” — Shania Twain
43. “Anytime you make a big statement about something in the world, you are bound to ruffle some feathers.” — Nusseir Yassin
44. “Writing songs is like capturing birds without killing them. Sometimes you end up with nothing but a mouthful of feathers.” — Tom Waits
45. “Is education possibly a process of trading awareness for things of lesser worth? The goose who trades his is soon a pile of feathers.” — Aldo Leopold
46. “A bird with great feathers may have nothing else! Anyone who is deceived by dazzling feathers can find themselves in a pale world!” — Mehmet Murat ildan
47. “Sometimes you have to stand up for what’s right, and sometimes that may be ruffling feathers and may be frowned upon by everyone else…” — George Hill
48. “What’s the point of hitting pads, landing 10,000 punches, and then landing punches that are soft as feathers in a fight? I hit hard.” — Jessica Andrade
49. “If you want to know how far gossip travels, do this – take a feather pillow up on the roof, slice it open, and let the feathers fly away on the wind. Then go and find every single feather and re-stuff the pillow.” — Rebecca Pidgeon
50. “The only thing I have done religiously in my life is keep a journal. I have hundreds of them, filled with feathers, flowers, photographs, and words—without locks, open on my shelves.” — Terry Tempest Williams
Enjoy the Beauty of Feathers
Pigments produce feather coloration, and sexual selection also plays an important role in the color of the feather per species of bird.
Birds’ colorful feathers are used to attract mates and as camouflage to blend into their surroundings, such as around flowers and trees.
Please share these feather quotes with your family and friends.
Share your favorite quotes in the comments.