Flood quotes are usually about a flood, which is a natural disaster.
However, certain other aspects are associated with the term “Flood.”
For instance, the term “Flood” also relates to the abundance of something.
This is why we have listed all the famous flood quotes with different connotations of “Flood.”
Apart from our quotes section, we have also discussed the flood as a natural disaster and its causes.
If interested, please continue reading!
What is a Flood?
A flood is an overflow of water that submerges the dry areas of the land.
The branch of science that studies floods is known as hydrology.
Floods are referred to as among the most severe natural disasters.
Floods can either build gradually or rush down toward dry areas.
The water level in a flooded area could reach up to several feet.
Types of Floods
Listed below are the most prominent types of floods.
Coastal Flood: As the name suggests, a coastal flood results from an overflow of seawater to the surrounding coastal areas.
River Flood: When the water level of a river rises above the river banks, it causes the water to overflow towards the surrounding fields.
Storm Surge: Storm surge is considered the abnormal rise in seawater level compared to a normal astronomical tide.
Flash Flood: This type of flood happens with 3 to 6 hours of heavy rainfall.
What are the Major Causes of a Flood?
There are different causes of a flood, and here are a few of them.
- Heavy rainfall is one of the most prominent causes of floods.
- Floods can also devastate the surrounding areas of a dam if it is broken.
- Overflowing rivers serve as another major cause of flooding.
- In most cases, coastal area flooding results from a tsunami.
- A lack of trees also results in flooding after heavy rain.
- Melting down of ice is another cause of flooding.
Some Common Uses of the term Flood
The term “Flood” in our everyday language also relates to an abundance of something.
For instance, if many people enter a shopping mall simultaneously, it is stated that the place is flooded with people.
In addition, if multiple ideas are coming into your mind, your mind is flooded with ideas.
The term flood is also used in the literature, suggesting the affluence of something.
Top 10 Flood Quotes
Here is a collection of the top 10 flood quotes you will love to read and share.
1. “There’s no such thing as a 100-year flood.” — Andrew Cuomo
2. “Great floods have flown from simple sources.” — William Shakespeare
3. “If you run from a leaking roof, you’ll end up with a flood.” — Mahmoud Abbas
4. “The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood.” — Douglas Adams
5. “We must build dikes of courage to hold back the flood of fear.” — Martin Luther King
6. “The truth can not be drowned by any flood of false indictments.” — Slobodan Milosevic
7. “Floods are acts of God, but flood losses are largely acts of man.” — Gilbert F. White
8. “Nobody’s strong enough to stand up under a flood of weak material.” — Alan Ladd
9. “If I get a commission, it’s like a flood of creative thought and energy.” — Justin Peck
10. “The flood of print has turned reading into a process of gulping rather than savoring.” — Raymond Chandler
Flood Quotes about Floods
The floods discussed in this selection of quotes are one of the many natural disasters that have a devastating impact on not only life but the planet itself.
11. “Maybe they’re a ‘God-send’, but don’t let that sway you… so was The Flood.” — Steve Maraboli
12. “A flood is defined as rising water, and it doesn`t matter why the water is rising.” — Jeff Albright
13. “Some people drowned in the floods that were caused by the rains for which they have prayed.” — Mokokoma Mokhonoana
14. “My focus is not on the flood that surrounds me. Rather, my focus is on the God Who surrounds the flood.” — Craig D. Lounsbrough
15. “Death carries off a man busy picking flowers with a besotted mind, like a great flood does a sleeping village.” — Gautama Buddha
16. “When this flood blocks the road, I am worried more by my soil getting washed than by getting late to reach my destination.” — Suman Pokhrel
17. “The river flows at its own sweet will, but the flood is bound in the two banks. If it were not thus bound, its freedom would be wasted.” — Vinoba Bhave
18. “The earth will end only when God declares it’s time to be over. Man will not destroy this earth. This earth will not be destroyed by a flood.” — John Shimkus
19. “As you get more global warming, you should see an increase in the extremes of the hydrological cycle – droughts and floods and heavy precipitation.” — James Hansen
20. “Are you upset little friend? Have you been lying awake worrying? Well, don’t worry…I’m here. The flood waters will recede, the famine will end, the sun will shine tomorrow, and I will always be here to take care of you.” — Charles M. Schulz
Insightful Flood Quotes
Find the words of wisdom in the profound flood quotes listed below.
21. “Those who flow as life flows make a flood out of the flow.” — Tamerlan Kuzgov
22. “Be kinder to yourself. And then let your kindness flood the world.” — Pema Chodron
23. “The wise man makes an island of himself that no flood can overwhelm.” — Gautama Buddha
24. “The bigger the dam of patience, the worse the flood when the dam breaks.” — Austin O’Malley
25. “Don’t pray for the rain to stop; pray for good luck fishing when the river floods.” — Wendell Berry
26. “As self-driving cars become more common, there will be a flood of new legal questions.” — Adam Cohen
27. “Having just one insurance provider for all flood risk in the entire country makes no sense.” — Jeb Hensarling
28. “You cannot fold a flood and put it in a drawer because the winds would find it out and tell your cedar floor.” — Emily Dickinson
29. “When a just cause reaches its flood-tide…whatever stands in its way must fall before its overwhelming force.” — Carrie Chapman Catt
30. “When the flood submerges the whole country, no raindrop may feel responsible. Finally things had lost their weightiness.” — Erik Pevernagie
Flood Quotes about Disasters
Several disastrous events can be traced back to floods. You can learn more about this from the quotes below.
31. “Flood disasters occur more often than any other natural disaster.” — Unknown
32. “No matter the natural disaster I’ve covered, whether it’s a wildfire or flood, I always come back with a much greater perspective.” — Ginger Zee
33. “We learn from every natural disaster. Whether it’s a fire or a flood, we learn something from it, so we can respond to the next one better.” — Malcolm Turnbull
34. “Mr. Speaker, from hurricanes and floods in Latin America to earthquakes in Asia, natural disasters are increasingly becoming a regular feature of life for large numbers of people around the globe.” — Earl Blumenauer
35. “Disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, floods, oil spills, and radioactive fallout cause massive death of people, pigs, bats, and birds. These disasters also impact the immune health of survivors. All harbor viruses.” — Paul Stamets
36. “Eighty percent of the people in the world have no food safety net. When disaster strikes – the economy gets blown, people lose a job, floods, war, conflict, bad governance, all of those things – there is nothing to fall back on.” — Josette Sheeran
37. “We won’t be able to stop disasters from happening. On the contrary, climate change may increase the frequency and severity of floods, droughts, and storms. But we are better equipped today to prepare for them and reduce their impact.” — Sri Mulyani Indrawati
38. “Homeowners and business owners across the country agreed to pay premiums, communities agreed to adopt building codes to mitigate flood dangers, and the Federal Government agreed to provide insurance coverage to policyholders after a disaster.” — Bob Ney
39. “Disasters happen. We still have no way to eliminate earthquakes, wildfires, hurricanes, floods, or droughts. We cope as best we can by fortifying ourselves against danger with building codes and levees, and by setting aside money to clean up afterward.” — Seth Shostak
40. “The National Guard has served America as both a wartime force and the first military responders in times of domestic crisis. Hundreds of times each year, the nation’s governors call upon their Guard troops to respond to fires, floods, hurricanes, and other natural disasters.” — Russel Honore
More Flood Quotes with Different Meanings
In the following quotes, we explore the several contexts in which the word “flood” might be understood to refer to an overwhelming increase.
41. “On AngelList, we get 100 new companies created a day. That’s an insane flood.” — Naval Ravikant
42. “The flood of money that gushes into politics today is a pollution of democracy.” — Theodore White
43. “I predict that as warm weather returns to Europe, so will the flood of Middle Eastern immigrants.” — John J. McLaughlin
44. “Directors didn’t flood me with offers because I was Subhendu’s son. I had to slog to find my foothold.” — Saswata Chatterjee
45. “There’s going to be a flood of opportunities right now but I don’t think I could really talk about them.” — Chris Daughtry
46. “Your mind has a flood of questions. There is but one teacher Who can answer them. Who is that teacher? Your silence-loving heart.” — Sri Chinmoy
47. “There is such a flood of TV shows, movies, video games, comics, and books, but somehow ‘Avatar’ is still being discovered by each new generation.” — Bryan Konietzko
48. “I am grateful for – though I can’t keep up with – the flood of articles, theses, and textbooks that mean to share insight concerning the nature of poetry.” — A. R. Ammons
49. “We have to design a health delivery system by actually talking to people and asking, ‘What would make this service better for you?’ As soon as you start asking, you get a flood of answers.” — Paul Farmer
50. “Always, as a coach, you have to be thinking not to flood the players with information. You have to think what’s key for the player, for that team, and how do we deliver it in a way that it might stick and have an effect.” — Gareth Southgate
Which of these Flood Quotes Inspires you the most?
The flood quotes listed here are carefully curated to offer you the best possible experience.
These quotes are popular among people of all ages.
So feel free to share them with your friends and family.
We have tried to help you choose your favorite flood quote by putting the quotes under their respective sections.
If you have found a quote that inspires you the most, please mention it in the comments section.
We would love to hear from you.