We’ve all heard the phrase “the road to hell is paved with good intentions,” and these good intentions quotes will help you better understand it.
According to modern philosophy, intentions are defined as “mental states that involve action plans to which the agent has committed themselves.”
You may also enjoy these related articles:
An intention is a mindset.
It includes a plan to complete an action, and that action will bring about a desired goal.
Tell us your favorite good intentions quote in the comments below!
Why you should read quotes about good intentions
It is safe to say that most of us are well-intentioned individuals.
Rarely does somebody set out on a plan with bad intentions.
But even good intentions can sometimes lead to undesirable outcomes.
In fact, it happens more frequently than we think.
There are many times when good intentions just don’t pan out how we planned or don’t materialize at all.
Reading good intentions quotes can allow us to be more well-intentional with our desires and action plans.
Many kinds of intentions can help us move in the direction we want to go in life and reach our goals.
Different intentions include:
- Prospective- forward-looking intentions about the future
- Immediate- happening now, “intentions-in-action.”
- Motivational- includes expected consequences of action & the reason for performing the action
- Oblique- includes “side effects” that are unimportant but necessary for realizing the main intention
When you understand the intentions at play in your life, you can tailor them to fit your current needs and desires.
When you know and understand your intentions, you can analyze yourself and your behavior and adjust accordingly to have a higher chance of achieving your goal.
Or, in other words, a higher chance of fulfilling your original intentions.
Best good intentions quotes
The best good intentions quotes are ones that make you think about the nature of intentions.
1. “Good intentions are not good at all.” ― Fritz Chery
2. “Kindly intentioned, but not considerate.” ― Marilynne Robinson
3. “God save us from people who mean well.” ― Vikram Seth
4. “No good would come of all these fine intentions.” ― Iris Murdoch
5. “If your intentions are good, nothing bad can happen.” ― Debasish Mridha
6. “And habits are hell’s own substitute for good intentions.” — Dorothy Dunnett
7. “One kind deed is more beautiful than a thousand good intentions.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
8. “Good intentions are not the whole story. You must also pay attention.” ― George Hammond
9. “Uncomfortable thoughts must be got rid of by good intentions for the future.” ― George Eliot
10. “How good would a Good Samaritan be, if a Good Samaritan would only intend to do good?” ― John Janzen
Good intentions quotes about other people
Read these good intentions quotes about other people to align yourself with only the best intentions.
11. “Your good intentions will never overshadow your deeds.” ― Bruce M. Morgan
12. “Well-meaning people are sometimes the most dangerous.” ― Angela N. Blount
13. “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.” — Khalil Gibran
14. “I think every human being has good intentions in one aspect of life and some in every.” — Mats Wilander
15. “It’s exhausting, tiptoeing around someone who barges into your life with good intentions.” ― Gretta Mulrooney
16. “Not everyone has good intentions. Trust no one until Discernment and Time have whetted their words and actions.” ― Reena Doss
17. “Pity is the feeling of well-intentioned people who are unable to act… It is those who are able to carry out their good intentions who deserve praise.” ― Pramoedya Ananta Toer
18. “It’s a sad truth that in life, the people who hurt us the most are also the people who love us the most, and that they often do so with the best of intentions.” ― Sean Norris
19. “Good intentions aren’t enough. People have good intentions when they set a goal to do something, but then they miss a deadline or other milestone.” — Harvey Mackay
20. “People with good intentions tended not to question themselves. And people who didn’t question themselves, in the scientific world and beyond, were the ones to watch out for.” ― Shanthi Sekaran
Wise good intentions quotes about life
Expand your knowledge with these wise good intentions quotes about life.
21. “Intentions always look better on paper than in reality.” — Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give
22. “Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.” — Peter Drucker
23. “Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it.” — Milton Friedman
24. “The problem is that no matter how good your intentions, eventually you want to kill someone yourself.” ― Kenneth Cain
25. “A good intention is like an idea that you keep to yourself. If you don’t do something with it, it’s like it never existed.” ― Frank Sonnenberg
26. “Good intentions that are not clothed in reason lead to greater disasters than those actions built on ill will or stupidity.” ― Henning Mankell
27. “Approach people with good intentions and love, there is nothing more precious in this world than time, good intentions, and love.” ― Santosh Kumar
28. “The healthy should be reminded that we are all dying because it is through our own reminder of mortality that we accelerate our good intentions, into actions people can see.” ― Shannon L. Alder
29. “Not all of our heartless plans work as we intend; nor do all of our good intentions. We are where we are, and we can rarely predict where we will go, no matter how firm our beliefs.” ― Michelle Sagara West
30. “Without action, the best intentions in the world are nothing more than that: intentions.” — Jordan Belfort, The Wolf of Wall Street
You might also enjoy these Heartless Quotes For Those Who Are Heartless.
Quotes about the evil of good intentions
Ensure you understand the flip side of these quotes about the evil of good intentions.
31. “Most of the evil in this world is done by people with good intentions.” ― T. S. Eliot
32. “A good intention, with a bad approach, often leads to a poor result.” ― Thomas Edison
33. “So many financial dreams are thwarted by the failure to act upon good intentions.” — Suze Orman
34. “Good intentions never change anything. They only become a deeper and deeper rut.” — Joyce Meyer
35. “I think every religion is founded with good intentions, but with any good thing, there’s a negative use for it.” — Daniel Caesar
36. “Your intentions will be good. Without consideration and forethought, however, your actions could still be evil.” — Michael A. Stackpole
37. “However, it’s usually random acts of good intent, like this one, which get you into the worst trouble in the long run.” — Andrew James Pritchard
38. “With the best of intentions you toss me a lifeline. Failing to see how a piece of rope will do me any good, I ignore it and drown.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
39. “Manipulation, fueled with good intent, can be a blessing. But when used wickedly, it is the beginning of a magician’s karmic calamity.” ― T.F. Hodge
40. “The evil that is in the world comes out of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence, if they lack understanding.” — Albert Camus
Quotes about the roads paved with good intentions
These quotes about the roads paved with good intentions will help you keep your intentions on the right path.
41. “Hell is paved with good intentions.” ― Samuel Johnson
42. “The steep descent into Hell is always paved with good intentions.” — Bianca Scardoni, Invidious
43 “But remember that good intentions pave many roads. Not all of them lead to hell.” ― Neal Shusterman
44. “The road to powerful magical items is paved with good intentions and hideous deathtraps.” ― Jeff Mach
45. “Hell isn’t merely paved with good intentions; it’s walled and roofed with them. Yes, and furnished too.” — Aldous Huxley
Good intentions are the start of great things
Not much good would happen in this world without someone having good intentions first.
Think about it.
Even though good intentions don’t always work out the way we plan, they are necessary to jumpstart the process of progress and change.
They are necessary for ingenuity, invention, and discovery.
Good intentions are the foundation for humans to make something better than it was before.
They are necessary for us to help ourselves and help others.
So don’t let the fact that good intentions can go awry stop you from making them.
Or from pursuing them.
Set that mindset.
Make that plan.
Achieve that goal!
Just as you intended.
You might also enjoy the movie, Good Intentions!
Tell us your favorite good intentions quote in the comments section!
If you enjoyed reading these good intentions quotes, hit the share button so others can enjoy them, too!