Our latest collection of gratitude quotes on Everyday Power.
So often, we want to express our gratitude and appreciation for what others have done for us – but we just don’t have the words.
We have the feelings and a need to be thankful, but the words fail us.
In light of this dilemma, here is a list of gratitude and appreciation quotes, that surely the authors would not mind you borrowing in the means of truly expressing your thanks to others.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Inspirational Gratitude Quotes About Being Thankful
1. “Be thankful for everything that happens in your life; it’s all an experience.” – Roy T. Bennett
You will also enjoy our article on thank you quotes.
2. “When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” – Maya Angelou
You will also enjoy our article on good deeds quotes.
3. “We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” – John F. Kennedy
4. “He who does not reflect his life back to God in gratitude does not know himself.” – Albert Schweitzer
5. “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.” – James Allen
6. “Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.” – Henry Ward Beecher
7. “Joy is the simplest form of gratitude.” — Karl Barth
8. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
9. “The essence of all beautiful art is gratitude.” – Friedrich Nietzche
10. “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” – Cicero
11. “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” – Melody Beattie
12. “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” – Dalai Lama
13. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
14. “We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not figures on a dial. We should count time by heart-throbs. He most lives who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best.” – Phillip James Bailey
15. “Gratitude isn’t a burdening emotion.” –Loretta Young
16. “Feeling gratitude, and not expressing it, is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” –William Arthur Ward
17. “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
18. “In everything, give thanks.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:18
19. “Silent gratitude isn’t much to anyone.” – Gertrude Stein
20. “Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
21. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” –GK Chesteron
22. “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” –Gerald Good
23. “Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.” – Confucius
Also read these inspirational grateful quotes that will make you appreciate what you have.
Quotes About Appreciation
24. “A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have.”
25. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
26. “Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect.” – Jean-Jacques Rousseau
27. “No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.” – Alfred North Whitehead
28. “We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.” – H.A. Ironside
29. “You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful for, the more will be given you” – Sarah Ban Breathnack
30. “Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.” – Guillaume Apollinaire
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of the pursuit of happiness quotes that will make you smile.
31. “Do not indulge in dreams of having what you have not, but reckon up the chief of the blessings you do possess, and then thankfully remember how you would crave for them if they were not yours.” – Marcus Aurelius
32. “When a person doesn’t have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity.” – Elie Wiesel
33. “Thank you’ is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, and understanding.” – Alice Walker
34. “Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” –Melody Beattie
35. “Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have—life itself.” – Walter Anderson
36. “It is a sign of mediocrity when you demonstrate gratitude with moderation.” –Roberto Benigni
37. “Life is an echo. What you send out, comes back. What you sow, you reap. What you give, you get. What you see in others, exists in you. Remember, life is an echo. It always gets back to you. So give goodness. ” – Unknown
38. “Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy.” –Jacques Maritain
39. “The way to develop the best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement.” –Charles Schwab
40. “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie
41. “If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.” –Meister Eckhart
Don’t forget to also read these powerful thankful quotes that will change your perspective.
Quotes About Being Grateful
42. “Gratitude is absolutely the way to bring more into your life.”
43. “Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty.” –Doris Day
44. “Don’t waste your time on things that you think you want because there is always someone out there who needs it much more than you could ever possibly know.”
45. “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” – Oscar Wilde
46. “The world has enough beautiful mountains and meadows, spectacular skies and serene lakes. It has enough lush forests, flowered fields, and sandy beaches. It has plenty of stars and the promise of a new sunrise and sunset every day. What the world needs more of is people to appreciate and enjoy it.” – Michael Josephson
47. “Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy.” – Fred De Witt Van Amburgh
48. “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy.” – Marcel Proust
49. “Giving is an expression of gratitude for our blessings.” –Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen
50. “The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated.” –William James
51. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” –John F. Kennedy
52. “Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.” – Brian Tracy
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of attitude quotes that will set you up for success.
53. “At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” –Albert Schweitzer
54. “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” – Frank A. Clark
55. “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” –Gerald Good
56. “Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.” – Alphonse Karr
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of rose quotes that celebrate the beautiful flower.
57. “Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” – Ralph Marston
58. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
59. “When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.” – Gilbert K. Chesterton
60. “Be grateful for what you have and stop complaining – it bores everybody else, does you no good, and doesn’t solve any problems.” – Zig Ziglar
61. “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.”—Epictetus
Don’t forget to also read these grateful quotes and sayings that will transform your perspective.
Powerful Gratitude Quotes
62. “…And why of all the attitudes you can acquire, it’s the attitude of gratitude that can be the most important and life-changing.”
63. “It is impossible to feel grateful and depressed in the same moment.” – Naomi Williams
64. “None of those material possessions do anything to make your life any better… I know a lot of people who have a lot of everything, and they’re absolutely the most miserable people in the world. So it won’t do anything for you unless you’re a happy person and can have peace with yourself.” – Lenny Kravitz
65. “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.” – Cicero
66. “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” – Oscar Wilde
67. “We need to regularly stop and take stock; to sit down and determine within ourselves which things are worth valuing and which things are not; which risks are worth the cost and which are not. Even the most confusing or hurtful aspects of life can be made more tolerable by clear seeing and by choice.” – Epictetus
68. “Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” – Mark Twain
69. “A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.” – Saint Basil
70. “If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.” –Harold Kushner
71. “Gratitude is something of which none of us can give too much. For on the smiles, the thanks we give, our little gestures of appreciation, our neighbors build their philosophy of life.” – A. J. Cronin
72. “If we magnified blessings as much as we magnify disappointments, we would all be much happier.” – John Wooden
73. “It isn’t what you have in your pocket that makes you thankful, but what you have in your heart.” – Author Unknown
74. “Gratitude doesn’t change the scenery. It merely washes clean the glass you look through so you can clearly see the colors.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
75. “Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” – Ralph Marston
76. “So, let us all be thankful.”- Buddha
77. “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.” – James Allen
78. “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes on living a great life.
79. “You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.” – John Wooden
80. “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu
More gratitude quotes
81. “How easily we can forget how precious life is! So long as we can remember, we’ve just been here, being alive. Unlike other things for which we have a good comparison– black to white, day to night, good to bad– we are so immersed in life that we can see it only in the context of itself. We don’t see life as compared to anything, to not-being, for example, to never having been born. Life just is. But life itself is a gift. It’s a compliment just being born: to feel, breathe, think, play, dance, sing, work, and make love, for this particular lifetime. Today, let’s give thanks for life. For life itself. For simply being born!” – Daphne Rose Kingma
82. “Each day I am thankful for: Nights that turned into mornings; Friends that turned into family; Dreams that turned into reality; and likes that turned into love.”
83. “Pursue what catches your heart, not what catches your eyes.” – Roy T. Bennett
84. “Start each day with a positive thought and a grateful heart.” – Roy T. Bennett
85. “Appreciation can make a day, even a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.”
86. “Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.” – Hansa Proverb
87. “The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.” –John E. Southard
88. “In ordinary life we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.” – Deitrich Bonhoeffer
89. “Saying thank you is more than good manners. It is good spirituality.” – Alfred Painter
90. “Gratitude is the ability to experience life as a gift. It liberates us from the prison of self-preoccupation.” – John Ortberg
91. “Those who are not grateful soon begin to complain about everything.” – Thomas Merton
92. “Gratitude means to recognize the good in your life, be thankful for whatever you have, some people may not even have one of those things you consider precious to you (love, family, friends etc). Each day give thanks for the gift of life. You are blessed.” – Pablo
Gratitude Quotes For Practicing Thankfullness All Year Long
93. “Gratitude, like faith, is a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it grows.” — Alan Cohen
94. “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” –Thornton Wilder
95. “Gratitude is a powerful catalyst for happiness. It’s the spark that lights a fire of joy in your soul.” – Amy Collette
96. “Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
97. “It’s the recognition that other people’s problems, their pain and frustrations, are every bit as real as our own – often far worse. In recognizing this fact and trying to offer some assistance, we open our hearts and greatly enhance our sense of gratitude.” – Richard Carlson
98. “Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind.” – Lionel Hampton
99. “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” – Cynthia Ozick
100. “Gratitude will shift you to a higher frequency, and you will attract much better things.” – Rhonda Byrne
101. “Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.” – Eileen Caddy
102. “There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.” — Ralph H. Blum
Gratitude Quotes On Importance of Being Greatful
103. “When we focus on our gratitude, the tide of disappointment goes out and the tide of love rushes in.” ― Kristin Armstrong
104. “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” — Eckhart Tolle
105. “The greatest source of happiness is the ability to be grateful at all times.” — Zig Ziglar
106. “The real gift of gratitude is that the more grateful you are, the more present you become.” — Robert Holden
107. “Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer.” — Maya Angelou
108. “I’ve found in my life that the easiest way to increase my joy is to religiously practice gratitude until I’m a gratitude machine!” — Rhonda Byrne
109. “Gratitude opens the door to the power, the wisdom, the creativity of the universe. You open the door through gratitude.” — Deepak Chopra
110. “The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.” — William Blake
111. “There is something that happens when you are grateful: You continue to keep receiving blessings. So I will always be grateful.” — Chrissy Metz
112 “Gratitude for the present moment and the fullness of life now is the true prosperity.” — Eckhart Tolle
Gratitude quotes for work
113. “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” – Robert Brault
114. “In the long run you will receive more from life doing the job you enjoy than you will ever earn in money from a job you loathe.” – Terry L. Mayfield
115. “Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out.” – John Wooden
116. “The highest reward for a man’s toil is not what he gets for it but what he becomes by it.” – John Ruskin
117. “Gratitude and attitude are not challenges; they are choices.” – Robert Braathe
118. “Work is what you do so that some time you won’t have to do it anymore.” – Alfred Polgar
119. “Learn to be thankful for what you already have, while you pursue all that you want.” – Jim Rohn
120. “Live a life full of humility, gratitude, intellectual curiosity, and never stop learning.” – GZA
121. “Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.” – Alphonse Karr
122. “We learned about gratitude and humility – that so many people had a hand in our success.” – Michelle Obama
Did you see your favorite gratitude quotes here?
There’s nothing to be lost with having a thankful attitude.
Never forget to utter a little ‘thanks’, even when life seems unreasonable.
For it is when we have an attitude of gratitude that we are given more to bless others.
November 14, 2022 5:00 AM EST