If you are a fan of scary horror characters, you will love our list of the best Hannibal Lecter quotes.
In addition to the quotes, we’re also discussing the character of Hannibal Lecter and why people are so intrigued by him.
So, without any further ado, let’s dive in!
An Intro to Hannibal Lecter
Hannibal Lecter is considered one of the most terrifying and fascinating characters ever.
Lecter first appeared in “Red Dragon,” a novel by Thomas Harris.
After the popularity of this character, it was portrayed in TV and films.
With his intelligence and charm, Lecter captivated audiences for decades.
Role of Hannibal Lecter
Hannibal Lecter was depicted in the novel as a cannibalistic serial killer and brilliant psychiatrist.
He was popular for his unique taste in food and fashion.
His razor-sharp mind also distinguishes him from the novel’s other characters.
The popularity of this character skyrocketed after the publication of “The Silence of the Lambs.”
In this book, Lecter is depicted as a consultant to Clarice Starling, an FBI agent.
She is trying to arrest another serial killer named Buffalo Bill.
How Hannibal Lecter Was Portrayed
After the publication of “Red Dragon,” Hannibal Lecter was portrayed in various ways.
For instance, Lecter was portrayed in “Manhunter,” a popular film launched in 1986.
In this film, the character of Lecter was played by Brian Cox and was quite restrained.
However, in “The Silence of the Lambs,” the performance of Anthony Hopkins brought Lecter to life.
Hopkins also won an Academy Award for Best Actor by playing the character of Lecter.
After the success of “The Silence of the Lambs,” Lecter’s character was played by various other actors, including:
- Gaspard Ulliel in “Hannibal Rising”
- Mads Mikkelsen in the television series “Hannibal.”
While the characters in the movies and shows were unique, Hopkins’ portrayal still stands as a definitive and more refined version.
Lecter’s Impact on Film and TV
The impact of Hannibal Lecter on the TV and film industry is quite noticeable.
His character is depicted in various movies, TV shows, and video games.
“Fava beans and a nice Chianti” is a term that is synonymous with Lecter.
In addition, his image has been used in different art forms and merchandise.
Hannibal Lecter has also had a strong impact on the horror genre.
Most depictions typically portray the character as an ‘intelligent villain.’
He is known for his mind games and psychological manipulation.
Lecter has served as an inspiration for a variety of other fictional villains.
The true influence of this character can be seen in movies like:
Top 5 Hannibal Lecter Quotes
Here are the top Hannibal Lecter quotes that you should read and share.
1. “We can only learn so much and live.” — Thomas Harris
2. “The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted.” — Thomas Harris
3. “You would think such a day would tremble to begin . . .” — Thomas Harris
4. “Death and danger do not have to come with trappings.” — Thomas Harris
5. “I do wish we could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner.” ― Hannibal Lecter
Philosophical Hannibal Lecter Quotes
These Hannibal Lecter quotes are philosophical in nature.
6. “Too many was too many, but way too many were just right.” — Thomas Harris
7. “Problem-solving is hunting. It’s a savage pleasure, and we’re born to it.” — Thomas Harris
8. “The first step in the development of taste is to be willing to credit your own opinion.” — Thomas Harris
9. “The worm that destroys you is the temptation to agree with your critics, to get their approval.” — Thomas Harris
10. “What do you look at while you’re making up your mind? Ours is not a reflective culture; we do not raise our eyes up to the hills. Most of the time, we decide the critical things while looking at the linoleum floor of an institutional corridor, or whispering hurriedly in a waiting room with a television blatting nonsense.” — Thomas Harris
Hannibal Lecter Quotes About Emotions
Here are some Hannibal Lecter quotes based on emotions that will help you to understand different emotions.
11. “Fear comes with imagination; it’s a penalty, it’s the price of imagination.” — Thomas Harris
12. “There is a common emotion we all recognize and have not yet named—the happy anticipation of being able to feel contempt.” — Thomas Harris
13. “I know what you’re afraid of. It’s not pain or solitude. It’s indignity you can’t stand, Hannibal; you’re like a cat that way.” — Thomas Harris
14. “We live in a primitive time—don’t we, Will?—neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it. Any rational society would either kill me or give me my books.” — Thomas Harris
15. “It’s easy to mistake understanding for empathy – we want empathy so badly. Maybe learning to make that distinction is part of growing up. It’s hard and ugly to know somebody can understand you without even liking you.” — Thomas Harris
Hannibal Lecter Quotes Showing The Way He Thinks
The following quotes will give you a glimpse into the mind of Hannibal himself!
16. “I’ll confess it is pleasant to look at you asleep. You’re quite beautiful, Clarice.” — Thomas Harris
17. “On a related subject, Signore Pazzi, I must confess to you: I’m giving serious thought to eating your wife.” — Thomas Harris
18. “A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone. Go back to school, little Starling.” — Thomas Harris
19. “She wanted to go inside. She wanted to go in, wanting it as we want to jump from balconies, as the glint of the rails tempts us when we hear the approaching train.” — Thomas Harris
20. “The most stable elements, Clarice, appear in the middle of the periodic table, roughly between iron and silver. Between iron and silver. I think that is appropriate for you.” — Thomas Harris
Hannibal Lecter Quotes About Characters
Hannibal Lecter quotes about different characters are here for your reading pleasure.
21. “I do admire your courage. I think I’ll eat your heart!” ― Hannibal Lecter
22. “As a doctor, I had no choice. As a philosopher, I had too many.” ― Hannibal Lecter
23. “Lecter is so lucid, so perceptive; he’s trained in psychiatry… and he’s a mass murderer.” — Thomas Harris
24. “Did you ever think, Clarice, why the Philistines don’t understand you? It’s because you are the answer to Samson’s riddle. You are the honey in the lion.” — Thomas Harris
25. “What he has, in addition, is pure empathy and projection,” Dr. Bloom said. “He can assume your point of view or mine – and maybe some other points of view that scare and sicken him. It’s an uncomfortable gift, Jack. Perception’s a tool that’s pointed on both ends.” — Thomas Harris
Which of these Hannibal Lecter Quotes is your Favorite?
The character of Hannibal Lecter is terrifying as well as fascinating.
This is why Lecter is still popular among audiences.
Lecter is an alluring figure despite his gruesome tendencies.
His impact on the horror genre can’t be denied.
These are a few reasons leading to the popularity of Hannibal Lecter’s quotes.
If one of the quotes listed above turns out to be your favorite one, do share it with us.
You can share your favorite Hannibal Lecter quote via the comments section.