The condolences quotes and messages below will help you convey sympathy and offer support to the bereaved.
The death of a loved one is one of the most painful experiences in life. Losing the people who have been part of our lives and who matter to us leaves us with nothing but sorrow and sadness.
When death occurs, we want to offer our condolences to those left behind to help them cope and move forward.
Expressing condolences is a thoughtful way to convey sympathy and offer support. It is also a way to show honor and to respect the memory of the departed.
That said, finding the proper way to express your emotions can be difficult. It’s never easy finding the right words to convey your sentiments in a meaningful way.
When you’re at a loss for words, you can use condolences quotes and messages to let your friend or family member know that they can count on you.
To give you a bit of inspiration, below you will find our collection of uplifting, sympathetic, and heartfelt condolences quotes, condolences messages, and condolences phrases, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Remember to also read our handpicked selection of comforting grief quotes that will help you commemorate and remember the deceased.
Condolences quotes and messages that celebrate life
1. ”While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.” – John Taylor
2. ”He spoke well who said that graves are the footprints of angels.” – Henry Longfellow
3. ”Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same.” – Unknown
4. ”Earth hath no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal.” – Thomas Moo
5. ”Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
6. ”Whoever you hold in the heart of you, is forever and always a part of you.” – Rossiter Raymond
7. ”Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow.” – Rita Schiano
8. ”Had I not loved so much I would not hurt so much. I will hurt. And I will be grateful for that hurt for it bears witness to the depth of our meaning. And for that I will be eternally grateful.” – Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
9. ”Truly, it is in darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us.” – Meister Eckhart
10. ”No matter how prepared you think you are for the death of a loved one, it still comes as a shock, and it still hurts very deeply.” – Billy Graham
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes about losing a loved one to help you express the feelings behind loss.
Condolences quotes and messages to help you convey your sympathy
11. ”For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” – William Penn
12. ”There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
13. ”The darker the night, the brighter the stars, the deeper the grief, the closer is God!“ – Fyodor Dostoyevsk
14. ”Don’t be ashamed to weep; ’tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees, and fruit cannot grow without water. But there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones are sealed inside to comfort us.“ – Brian Jacques
15. ”Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color.“ – W.S. Merwin
16. ”I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.” – Leo Buscaglia
17. ”Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.” – Hebrew Proverb
18. ”A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again.” – Maya Angelou
19. ”After a loved one passes, be encouraged by their passing and legacy. Instead of crying, live an inspired, spiritual and happy life like they did when they were here. Live each day with encouragement knowing that they are proud and smiling down on you from Heaven” – Matt Fraser
20. ”When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” – Kahlil Gibran
Also read these thoughtful tombstone quotes about living a fulfilled life.
Condolences quotes and messages to help you express your sentiments
21. ”We should feel sorrow, but not sink under its oppression.” – Confucius
22. ”You don’t get over it, you just get through it. You don’t get by it, because you can’t get around it. It doesn’t ‘get better’; it just gets different. Everyday grief puts on a new face.” – Wendy Feireisen
23. ”My [mom/nana] is a never-ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words, but I always remember the tune.” – Graycie Harmon
24. ”So say it loud and let it ring. We are all part of everything. The future, present, and the past. Fly on proud bird. You’re free at last.” – Charlie Daniels
25. ”When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure. “ – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of memory quotes that will help remind you how far you’ve come and motivate you to keep moving forward.
26. ”Grief is the price we pay for love.” – Queen Elizabeth II
27. ”Because God is never cruel, there is a reason for all things. […] The terrible pain of loss teaches humility to our prideful kind, has the power to soften uncaring hearts, to make a better person of a good one.“ – Dean Koontz
28. ”If we never experience the chill of a dark winter, it is very unlikely that we will ever cherish the warmth of a bright summer’s day. Nothing stimulates our appetite for the simple joys of life more than the starvation caused by sadness or desperation. In order to complete our amazing life journey successfully, it is vital that we turn each and every dark tear into a pearl of wisdom, and find the blessing in every curse.“ – Anthon St. Maarten
29. ”Deep grief sometimes is almost like a specific location, a coordinate on a map of time. When you are standing in that forest of sorrow, you cannot imagine that you could ever find your way to a better place. But if someone can assure you that they themselves have stood in that same place, and now have moved on, sometimes this will bring hope.“ – Elizabeth Gilbert
30. ”Listen to God with a broken heart. He is not only the doctor who mends it but also the father who wipes away the tears.” – Criss Jami
Condolences quotes to help you find the right words to express your sympathy
31. “To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever. You don’t get over it because ‘it’ is the person you loved. The pain stops, there are new people, but the gap never closes. How could it? […] This hole in my heart is in the shape of you and no-one else can fit it.“ – Jeanette Winterson
32. “Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things.“ – Arthur Schopenhauer
33. “We are all the pieces of what we remember. We hold in ourselves the hopes and fears of those who love us. As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss.“ – Cassandra Clare
34. “Learn to see the gift in the adversity. By doing this you will begin to find true peace in your struggle.“ – Stacey Urrutia
35. “There is something terribly morbid in the modern sympathy with pain. One should sympathise with the colour, the beauty, the joy of life. The less said about life’s sores the better.” – Oscar Wilde
36. “That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendour in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not; rather find strength in what remains behind.” – William Wordsworth
37. ”We must embrace our pain and burn it as a fuel for our journey.” – Kenji Miyazawa
38. “No person is ever truly alone. Those who live no more, whom we loved, Echo still within our thoughts, our words, our hearts”. – Richard Fife
39. ”The season of mourning, Like spring, summer, Fall and winter, will also pass.”- Molly Fumia
40. ”A human life is a story told by God.” – Hans Christian Andersen
You might also like our list of rest in peace quotes to help you grieve.
Condolences quotes to uplift the bereaved
41. ”However long the night, the dawn will break.” – African Proverb
42. ”I know now that we never get over great losses; we absorb them, and they carve us into different, often kinder, creatures.“ – Gail Caldwell
43. ”Ten long trips around the sun since I last saw that smile, but only joy and thankfulness that on a tiny world in the vastness, for a couple of moments in the immensity of time, we were one.“ – Ann Druyan
44. ”As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” – Leonardo Da Vinci
45. ”Pain is certain, suffering is optional.” – Buddha
46. ”What is lovely never dies, But passes into other loveliness.” – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
47. ”The Remembrance of the good done those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them.” – Demoustier
48. ”It is the will of God and Nature that these mortal bodies be laid aside, when the soul is to enter into real life; ’tis rather an embryo state, a preparation for living; a man is not completely born until he be dead: Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals?” – Benjamin Franklin
49. ”Bear and endure: This sorrow will one day prove to be for your good.” – Ovid
50. ”How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” – Dorothy Ferguson
Condolences quotes and messages to help you comfort someone who is grieving
51. “Our joys will be greater, our love will be deeper, our life will be fuller because we shared your moment.” – Author Unknown
52. “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
53. “From the end spring new beginnings.” – Pliny the Elder
54. “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” – Terri Guillemets
55. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
56. “Those who weep recover more quickly than those who smile.” – Jean Giraudoux
57. “Do not think of me as gone. I am with you still in each new dawn.” – Native American Poem
58. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
59. “There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief.” –Aeschylus
60. “Once upon a memory someone wiped away a tear, held me close and loved me, Thank you, dear.” – Author Unknown
61. “Sorrow is a fruit. God does not make it grow on limbs too weak to bear it.” – Victor Hugo
62. “It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.” – Henry Rollins
63. “Our trials, our sorrows, and our grieves develop us.” – Orison Swett Marden
64. “There are no words. While you have joy knowing where your love is in a better place, there is sadness in the loss and grief. You are in our prayers.” – Catherine Pulsifer
65. “You don’t go around grieving all the time, but the grief is still there and always will be.” – Nigella Lawson
Condolences quotes for loss of a loved one
66. “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.” – James O’Barr
67. “Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure. You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.” – Renee Wood
68. “Tenderly, may time heal your sorrow. Gently, may your friends ease your pain. Softly, may peace replace heartaches. And my warmest memories remain.” – Unknown
69. “Pain could be so blinding that you lose sight of all the love that is within your reach. Times of sorrow are the moments you need to allow yourself to be loved, to be cared for.” – Unknown
70. “Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength.” – Unknown
71. “Don’t let go of the memories, death is not the end of your happiness. You can still take so much pleasure in the memories you made with them while they were alive.” – Unknown
72. “When you find yourself weeping for what you have lost, remember that you are weeping for someone who blessed you with joy. How lucky we are to have all known such a wonderful person.” – Unknown
73. “In times like this you should hold on firmly to faith and hope, it might look like you have lost more than you can bear but you are stronger than this pain you feel.” – Unknown
74. “No person is every truly alone. Those who live no more, whom we loved, Echo still within our thoughts, our words, our hearts.” – Unknown
75. “You might be wondering why they had to go, you want them back with you and this is very understandable. Be willing to stand back while they continue on this new journey after life.” – Unknown
Condolences quotes for loss and death
76. “The comfort of having a friend may be taken away, but not that of having had one.” – Seneca
77. “When you lose someone you love, you gain an angel you know.” – Unknown
78. “My heart is with you in your time of sorrow.” – Unknown
79. “Crying will surely not bring them back but it would help you through the grief because you can never truly forget the ones you love. You can however cry yourself back to joy.” – Unknown
80. “Words will not wipe away your tears and hugs may not ease the pain, but hold onto your memories because forever they will remain.” – Unknown
81. “Never feel ashamed that you spend the whole day in tears, you can be strong only after you have felt the pain inside your heart. Death feels like a stab wound in your heart.” – Unknown
82. “The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering.” – Ben Okri
83. “Dark days seem like they never end, but they are just like any other day. The clouds will clear up, you will find reasons to cheer up, the birds will sing again, so hold on.” – Unknown
84. “He, who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man” – Antoine De Saint Exupery
85. “As you mourn your loss, remember to see the beauty of life around you and don’t sink into a hole of depression and sorrow.” – Unknown
Condolences quotes for those that are grieving
86. “Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left on our hearts.” – Dorothy Ferguson
87. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.” — Dr. Seuss
88. “In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing.” – Robert Ingersoll
89. “Sympathy does not think. It acts. It acts to remove the ceaseless sufferings of the world.” – Sri Chinmoy
90. “When one person is missing the whole world seems empty.” – Pat Schweibert
91. “If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.” – Emily Brontë
92. They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies.” – William Penn
93. “Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love.” – Unknown
94. “The absence of the other person who used to be there beside you obliterates your presence. Everything in the room, even the stars in the sky can disappear in a second, changing one scene for another, just like a dream.” — Hwang Sok-Yong
95. “When the heart grieves over what it has lost, the spirit rejoices over what it has left.” – Sufi Epigram
More condolences quotes and messages
96. “Very few people can fit into your shoes. You were a blessing to many people. Rest in peace!” – Unknown
97. “Our condolences to you and your family on the passing of your aunt. May our friendship and prayers ease you through this difficult time.”- Unknown
98. “Even if I forget everything else, I will always remember you. You were the best. You were true to me. Rest in peace!”- Unknown
99. “A person that departs from this earth never truly leaves, for they are still alive in our hearts, through us, they live on. My condolences.”- Unknown
100. “During this sorrowful moment, I am at a loss of words. You are in my thoughts and prayers praying for you to find comfort and peace.”- Unknown
101. “May the soul of the dearly departed rest in peace, may my prayers help guide her on her journey to our Creator.”- Unknown
102. “I am so saddened that you are no more; you were a blessing to us. RIP.” – Unknown
103. “At this difficult time in your life, we pray that God will grant you the peace that you need to get through this. Sincere condolences!” – Unknown
104. “I never knew how painful it is to lose someone until death took you away from me. RIP, my dear!” – Unknown
105. “Please accept my heartfelt condolences, words cannot begin to express the sadness you are feeling right now, God rest his soul.” – Unknown
Which of these condolences quotes was your favorite?
When someone close to us experiences the loss of a loved one, it’s upon us to comfort them and help them feel better. To help them know that they can count on our support during such difficult times.
It’s never easy when a loved one endures a difficult time period or the loss of a loved one. Hopefully, the above quotes and messages will provide a bit of inspiration and help you express your sympathy and offer support.
Which of the condolences quotes above was your favorite? Do you have any other quotes and messages to add to the list? Let us know in the comment section below.
October 30, 2020 6:00 AM EST