Johnny Cade Quotes from The Outsiders
April 18, 2023 6:00 AM EST
The Johnny Cade quotes are extremely popular among the fans of the novel The Outsiders.
If you are one of them, this is the article for you.
Here we have listed some of the best quotes associated with Johnny Cade, who is a prominent character in this novel.
We’re also sharing information about this character to help you understand the key elements of this character’s personality.
You may also enjoy reading these related articles:
A Brief Intro to Johnny Cade
Johnny Cade is a popular character in the novel The Outsiders.
This novel was written by S.E. Hinton and proved to be a classic of its time.
As a character, Johnny is a symbol of loyalty and innocence.
Some other features of his personality include:
- Strong senses
- Highly expressive
However, besides all these qualities, Johnny struggles with his underprivileged life as a young boy.
Johnny Cade as a Character
Johnny Cade is a teenager who lives in a broken home.
He is a lean and petite boy with jet-black hair.
However, his eyes are huge and fearsome.
Johnny is portrayed as a sensitive and nervous boy.
Johnny is a unique character who is constantly frightened and always on the verge of tears.
Contrary to his fears, Johnny stays loyal to his friends.
One of his best friends is Ponyboy Curtis, the novel’s protagonist.
Johnny is among the “Greasers,” a group of underprivileged young boys.
These kids live on the east side of town.
They are constantly at odds with a group of wealthy kids known as “Socs.”
The Struggling Life of Johnny
The life of Johnny Cade is a consistent struggle.
In the early period of his life, Johnny’s father physically abused him without any reason.
Due to the terrible atmosphere of his home, he usually sleeps outside in the park or abandoned buildings.
He also struggles with his poverty and pity conditions.
This is why he appears to be afraid of the world around him.
At one stage of the story, the highest level of fear engraves him.
This was when he killed a “Soc” to defend his own life.
His Impact on the Novel
Johnny tends to leave a profound impact on the overall perception of the novel.
He is the most trusted and beloved member of the “Greaser” gang.
He is no less than the hero of the novel.
Due to his selflessness, loyalty, and strength, he is a bonding element for the “Greaser” group.
Besides, his death also serves as a turning point in the novel.
Johnny died due to the final confrontation between the “Socs” and the “Greasers.”
Top 5 Johnny Cade Quotes
Let’s check out the top 4 Johny Cade quotes and learn what’s in there.
1. “Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.” — Johnny Cade
2. “Get smart, and nothing can touch you.” — Johnny Cade
3. “Maybe people are younger when they sleep.” — Johnny Cade
4. “I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me.” — Johnny Cade
5. “He gets drunk on just plain living. And he understands everybody.” — Johnny Cade
Johnny Cade Quotes with Lessons
Explore these meaningful Johnny Cade quotes from The Outsiders and uncover valuable lessons on resilience, friendship, loyalty, and overcoming adversity.
6. “Nothing sparkly can stay.” — Johnny Cade
7. “Things are rough all over.” — Johnny Cade
8. “You get tough like me, and you don’t get hurt.” — Johnny Cade
9. “There isn’t any real good reason for fighting except self-defense.” — Johnny Cade
10. “Sixteen years on the streets and you can learn a lot. But all the wrong things, not the things you want to learn. Sixteen years on the streets, and you see a lot. But all the wrong sights, not the things you want to see.” — Johnny Cade
Johnny Cade Quotes with Depth
These deep Johnny Cade quotes provide inspiration for those who love everything about the universe and things around it.
11. “I liked my books and clouds and sunsets.” — Johnny Cades
12. “I’d rather have anybody’s hate than their pity” — Johnny Cade
13. “I said I don’t want to see her…tell her to leave me alone. For once.” — Johnny Cade
14. “You still have a lot of time to make yourself be what you want. There’s still lots of good in the world.” — Johnny Cade
15. “You know a guy a long time, and I mean really know him, you don’t get used to the idea that he’s dead just overnight.” — Johnny Cade
Johnny Cade Quotes with Sarcasm
Discover the witty and sarcastic side of Johnny Cade’s character in The Outsiders with these humorous quotes that will make you laugh.
16. “Would you rather have me living in hide-outs for the rest of my life, always on the run?” — Johnny Cade
17. “I don’t know why I go to school unless for kicks, oh well, might as well do dissect a frog.” — Johnny Cade
18. “I think I like it better when the old man’s hittin’ me. At least then I know he knows who I am.” — Johnny Cade
19. “I used to talk about killing myself all the time, man. But I don’t wanna die now. It ain’t long enough. Sixteen years ain’t gonna be long enough.” — Johnny Cade
20. “That’s why people don’t ever think to blame the Socs and are always ready to jump on us. We look hoody, and they look decent … people usually go by looks.” — Johnny Cade
Some More Johnny Cade Quotes
Here are some more Johnny Cade quotes for your reading pleasure.
21. “You know the rules. No jazz before a rumble.” — Johnny Cade
22. “Don’t you know a rumble ain’t a rumble unless I’m in it?” — Johnny Cade
23. “It’s okay,” I said, wishing I was dead and buried somewhere.” — Johnny Cade
24. “You don’t just stop living because you lose someone. I thought you knew that by now. You don’t quit!” — Johnny Cade
25. “It was worth saving those little kids. Their lives are worth more than mine. They have more to live for.” — Johnny Cade
Which One of these Johnny Cade Quotes is your Favorite?
We hope you have enjoyed our list of the best Johnny Cade quotes from The Outsiders.
To help you browse through the list, we have provided these quotes under their respective sections.
Besides, these quotes are so inspiring and impressive that you won’t resist sharing them with others.
Also, if you have come across your favorite Johnny Cade quote, please share it with us via the comments section.
We would love to hear from you.
May 25, 2023 at 11:51 AM