There is beauty in change, and these sunset quotes will remind you of the loveliness in endings that bring new beginnings.
Sunsets are not only beautiful, but they also have so much meaning. They signify endings, change, and transformation; they remind us that change is part of life and everything has an ending.
Many people resist change and hold on to what the universe is telling them to release. However, you should embrace positive change and make it part of your life. If things aren’t going as planned, maybe it’s time to re-examine your actions and consider what direction really matters to you.
The sunset tells us that the day is almost over. It reminds us of the importance of time and how we should make good use of it. It’s also a time for reflection. As your day comes to a close, ask yourself whether you’ve done everything you set out to do or been the person you desire to be.
While the sunrise brings hope for the new day, the sunset brings a sense of peace that everything is going to be alright. It serves as a promise of a bright and light-filled new daytime.
You should take every opportunity to watch a sunset, as gazing may also have a number of psychological benefits. Studies show that slowing down to enjoy a sunset may boost well-being, increase prosociality and enhance life satisfaction.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and beautiful sunset quotes, sayings, and proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years
Remember to also read our collection of beautiful sunshine quotes for more inspiration.
Sunset Quotes That Will Signal Change Inside You
1. “As angry as the sky looks, it’s still full of the colors of love.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
2. “Every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. “Keep looking up! I learn from the past, dream about the future and look up. There’s nothing like a beautiful sunset to end a healthy day.” – Rachel Boston
4. “Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
5. “Every sunset is an opportunity to reset.” – Richie Norton
6. “Sunset shows that LIFE is too beautiful to hold on to the past so Move on to the Present.” ― Jennifer Aquillo
7. “I believe in evolution. But I also believe, when I hike the Grand Canyon and see it at sunset, that the hand of God is there also.” – John McCain
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of John McCain quotes about character, America and more.
8. “Beyond the sundown is tomorrow’s wisdom, today is going to be long, long ago.” – Thomas Hornsby Ferril
9. “The sky takes on shades of orange during sunrise and sunset, the color that gives you hope that the sun will set only to rise again.” – Ram Charan
10. “To leave out beautiful sunsets is the secret of good taste.” ― Dejan Stojanovic
Sunset quotes that will change your perspective
11. “Sensual pleasures have the fleeting brilliance of a comet; a happy marriage has the tranquillity of a lovely sunset.” – Ann Landers
12. “There can’t possibly be anything more beautiful than Seaside Beach at sunset.” ― Bryn McCarren
13. “Perfect happiness is a beautiful sunset, the giggle of a grandchild, the first snowfall. It’s the little things that make happy moments, not the grand events. Joy comes in sips, not gulps.” – Sharon Draper
14. “When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.” – Mahatma Gandhi
15. “Sunset is a wonderful opportunity for us to appreciate all the great things the sun gives us!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
16. “Your eyes are blinded with your worries, you cannot see the beauty of the sunset. “ – Jiddu Krishnamurti
17. “Don’t forget: beautiful sunsets need cloudy skies.” – Paulo Coelho
18. “My dream date would be a hike through the woods followed by an outdoor picnic followed by a glass of wine at sunset. Heaven!” – Nina Agdal
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of wine quotes to celebrate over your favorite glass.
19. “Bursts of gold on lavender melting into saffron. It’s the time of day when the sky looks like it has been spray-painted by a graffiti artist.” ― Mia Kirshner,
20. When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.” ― George R.R. Martin
Sunset quotes to help you live a meaningful life
Have you seen these inspirational rain quotes to lift your spirits?
21. “I always say that the times in my life when I’ve been happiest are the times when I’ve seen, like, a sunset.” – Chris Evans
22. “If I can put one touch of rosy sunset into the life of any man or woman, I shall feel that I have worked with God.” ― G.K. Chesterton
23. “When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.” – Charles A. Beard
24. “Sunrise is the start of something beautiful: the day. Sunset is the start of something beautiful: the night.” ― Juansen Dizon
25. “Sunsets, like childhood, are viewed with wonder not just because they are beautiful but because they are fleeting.” – Richard Paul Evans
26. “The darkness that follows a sunset is never so dark that it can change the inevitability of a sunrise.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of dark quotes that will motivate you to keep going and encourage you that things will be OK.
27. “The first stab of love is like a sunset, a blaze of color — oranges, pearly pinks, vibrant purples…” ― Anna Godbersen
28. “Sunsets in themselves are generally superior to sunrises; but with the sunset we appreciate images drawn from departed peace and faded glory.” – George Stillman Hillard
29. “As long as the sun does not set in your mind, darkness will be nothing but a weak shadow in your life!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
30. “Sunrise Sunset’ is about trying to get to a place where life is simple and not letting the stress and happenings in the world get in the way of your happiness.” – Benny Cassette
Sunset quotes to motivate you
You might also like these inspirational waves quotes for surfers & beach lovers.
31. “The more clouds you have in your sky, the more colorful sunset it will be.” ― Sajal Sazzad
32. “One day, all your worries will set like the sun does and deserved happiness will come gushing like waves at the beach do. All you need to make sure id that your trips to beach never end.” ― Jasleen Kaur Gumber
33. “There’s a sunrise and a sunset every single day, and they’re absolutely free. Don’t miss so many of them.” ― Jo Walton
34. “To watch a sunset is to connect with the Divine.” – Gina De Gorna
35. “Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer the goal.” ― Elbert Hubbard
36. “A sunset is the sun’s fiery kiss to the night.” ― Crystal Woods
37. “Our American heritage is greater than any one of us. It can express itself in very homely truths; in the end it can lift up our eyes beyond the glow in the sunset skies.” – Bruce Catton
38. “Enjoy the beauty of a sunset nature’s farewell kiss for the night.” – Sharon Rene
39. “The strange thing about the sunset is that we actually don’t want the sun to set, we want it to stay right on the horizon, not below it, not above it, just right on it!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
40. “Believe in yourself and you can change a sunset into a new dawn.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also love our collection of yellow quotes for a happy aesthetic.
Sunset quotes to brighten your mood
41. “Endure the pain in the sunrise, so when it’s sunset, there’s lot of profit to be gained.” ― Seyi Ayoola
42. “Never waste any amount of time doing anything important when there is a sunset outside that you should be sitting under!” ― C. JoyBell C.
43. “Never turn your back to the sunset, because you owe the sun a thanking for lighting you all day!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
44. “Sunset is still my favorite color, and rainbow is second.” – Mattie Stepanek
45. “Feelings aroused by the touch of someone’s hand, the sound of music, the smell of a flower, a beautiful sunset, a work of art, love, laughter, hope and faith – all work on both the unconscious and the conscious aspects of the self, and they have physiological consequences as well.” – Bernie Siegel
46. “People are just as wonderful as sunsets if you let them be. When I look at a sunset, I don’t find myself saying, Soften the orange a bit on the right hand corner.’ I don’t try to control a sunset. I watch with awe as it unfolds.” – Carl R. Rogers
47. “If I can put one touch of rosy sunset into the life of any man or woman, I shall feel that I have worked with God.” – G.K. Chesterton
48. “There’s a special quality to the loneliness of dusk, a melancholy more brooding even than the night’s.” – Ed Gorman
49. “Let the sea breeze blow your hair, let the sunset bring tranquility to your heart, let the distant places you travel allow you to explore yourself.” ― Somya Kedia
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our explore quotes about nature, wander and new experiences.
50. “Life does not come with instructions on how to live, but it does come with trees, sunsets, smiles and laughter, so enjoy your day.” – Debbie Shapiro
Sunset quotes to uplift you
51. “Every sunset is different, because every day sun is different, clouds are different, space is different, reflections are different, mountains are different, fogs are different, and above all, we are different!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
52. “The most beautiful sunset is when you have it with your beloved one and the most beautiful sunrise is quite the same.”― Galina Nelson
53. “May every sunrise hold more promise and every sunset hold more peace…”― Umair Siddiqui
54. “Sunset is the opening music of the night.”― Mehmet Murat ildan
55. “I love that this morning’s sunrise does not define itself by last night’s sunset.”― Steve Maraboli
56. “Admire the efforts of a failure like you admire the beauty of a sunset.”― Amit Kalantri
57. “Watching them was like watching the sunset and the sunrise, equally beautiful in different ways.”― Shannon A. Thompson
58. “The sun was now in its death throes, bruising the sky a coiling purple and orange.”― Harlan Coben
59. “Every end of the day is a great movie and the Sun above is surely the leading actor in this film!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
60. “Just don’t forget that some of us watch the sunset too.”― S.E. Hinton
Sunset quotes to live by
61. “I like that time is marked by each sunrise and sunset whether or not you actually see it.” ― Catherine Opie
62. “If you are in a beautiful place where you can enjoy sunrise and sunset, then you are living like a lord.” ― Nathan Phillips
63. “Sunsets are proof that no matter what happens, every day can end beautifully.” – Kristen Butler
64. “Sunsets are so beautiful that they almost seem as if we were looking through the gates of Heaven.” ― John Lubbock
65. “Sunsets are just little glimpses of the Golden streets of Heaven.” ― Unknown
66. “Now she’s lit by the warm orange spreading from the horizon as not-quite-day, becomes not-quite-night.”― David Levithan
67. “The sky, at sunset, looked like a carnivorous flower.”― Roberto Bolaño
68. “This is my favorite time of the day. Light and dark touch for a few moments. […] I used to wish dusk would last longer, but its quickness seems to add to making it special.”― Regina McBride
69. “The sun is setting in a burnt orange sky; the cliffs are black silhouettes; the sea, liquid silver.”― Laura Treacy Bentley
70. “Every sunset is a journey, a journey to remember the memories of the past!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
You might also like these inspirational morning quotes to help you seize the day.
Sunset quotes to elevate your mind
71. “Call for the grandest of all earthly spectacles, what is that? It is the sun going to his rest.”― Thomas de Quincey
72. “The sky was a bruised red shot with black, almost exactly the colors of a tattoo. Sunset had two minutes left to live.”― Denis Johnson
73. “Sunset on the water ought to be a quiet and easy time, but I guess some people can’t stand a little silence.”― Carl Hiaasen
74. “A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.”― Claude Debussy
75. “Watching the sun set is like watching a beautiful kid die for a good cause.”― Darnell Lamont Walker
76. “Sunset is the most spiritual moment where human race meets the extraordinary spirit of the universe!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
77. “I can’t give you the sunset, but I can give you the night.”― Erin McCarthy
78. “A sunset is the end of a day now passed. Yet, for some reason we get caught in the reality of the descending dark verses the anticipation of a rising dawn.”― Craig D. Lounsbrough
79. “In silence the three of them looked at the sunset and thought about God.”― Maud Hart Lovelace
80. “Nightfall was approaching, the light pouring away past the world’s horizon in a gradually darkening cascade.”― Obie Williams
Awesome sunset quotes
81. “The man stopped talking and was looking at the sunset.
But what does someone who hates and loves want with a sunset?”― Alberto Caeiro
82. “He glanced at the sun which, old professional that it was, chose that moment to drop below the horizon.”― Terry Pratchett
83. “Sometimes the sunset is so beautiful, I think it might be the very last one.”― Nitya Prakash
84. “Your choice between sunrise or sunset depends on your attitude.”― Ibn Jeem
85. “It is almost impossible to watch a sunset and not dream.”― Bern Williams
86. “Instead of sailing off into the sunset, he hopes to sail into the next century.” – Dave Anderson
87. “The sun tells the best joke of a day full of them, setting so spectacularly that you can almost smell the tropical paradise lazing somewhere over this rim of endless, gray socialist towers. Miles of square windows explode orange, red, and purple, like a million TV sets broadcasting the apocalypse. Clouds unspool. The sky drains of birds.” – Tod Wodicka
88. “There is nothing more musical than a sunset.” – Claude Debussy
89. “A day spent with dreaming and sunsets and refreshing breezes cannot be bettered.” – Nicholas Sparks
90. “Sunsets are my escape into the reality I want to continuously live.” – Rachel Roy
Meaningful sunset quotes
91. “Sunsets we always liked because they only happen once and go away.” – Ray Bradbury
92. “Softly the evening came with the sunset.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
93. “You want proof there’s a God? Look outside, watch a sunset.” – Frank E. Peretti
94. “It’s not just a sunset; it’s a moonrise too.” – P. C. Cast
95. “I never met a sunset I didn’t like.” – Unknown
96. “You just gotta use the sunset as a reset button and start over in the morning with every chance you get to open your eyes.” – Victoria Monet
97. “If I could lick the sunset, I’ll bet it would taste like Neapolitan ice cream.” – Jarod Kintz
98. “Allow failure to teach you a supreme lesson: Each sunset is the beginning of a very, very bright and powerful sunrise.” – Sri Chinmoy
99. “Every sunset is also a sunrise; it all depends on where you stand.” – Karl Schmidt
100. “When the sun is setting, leave whatever you are doing and watch it.” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
Beautiful sunset quotes
101. “There’s always a sunrise and always a sunset and it’s up to you to choose to be there for it.” – Cheryl Strayed
102. “A sunrise or sunset can be ablaze with brilliance and arouse all the passion, all the yearning, in the soul of the beholder.” – Mary Balogh
103. “When someone asks me what my favorite colors is, I should just say, ‘sunset.’” – Unknown
104. “Sunset is so marvellous that even the sun itself watches it every day in the reflections of the infinite oceans!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
105. “She was in love with the sunset. No one else ever even stood a chance.” – Unknown
Sunset quotes to encourage you
106. “Bring me the sunset in a cup.” – Emily Dickinson
107. “The sunset glow of self-possession.” – Nicolas Chamfort
108. “The water was glassy and calm, still candy-colored in the afterglow of sunset.” – Stephen King
109. “Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren’t so different. We saw the same sunset.” – S. E. Hinton
110. “In that dilated moment after sunset when the sky holds all the light.” –David Wroblewski
111. “The Lord has turned all our sunsets into sunrise.” – Clement of Alexandria
112. “The sky broke like an egg into full sunset and the water caught fire.” –Pamela Hansford Johnson
113. “In the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia, even the guillotine.” – Milan Kundera
114. “There’s never one sunrise the same or one sunset the same.” – Carlos Santana
115. “Sunrise paints the sky with pinks and the sunset with peaches. Cool to warm. So is the progression from childhood to old age.” – Vera Nazarian
Sunset quotes to lift your mood
116. “No sun outlasts its sunset, but will rise again and bring the dawn.” –Maya Angelou
117. “I can never forget suffering and I will never forget sunset. I came home with all of it in my mind.” – Horace
118. “My joy is the golden sunset giving thanks for another day. Gratitude itself is a source of joy.” – Unknown
119. “Peace is seeing the sunrise or a sunset and knowing who to thank.” –
120. “I am very fond of sunsets. Come, let us go look at a sunset.” –
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
121. “I’m a living sunset, lightning in my bones.” – Ben Harper
122. “May I never miss a sunset or rainbow because I am looking down.” –
123. “It is man’s consolation that the future is to be a sunrise instead of a sunset.” – Victor Hugo
124. “You see, one loves the sunset when one is so sad.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
125. “The dust of exploded beliefs may make a fine sunset.” – Geoffrey Madan
Don’t forget to also check out these sky quotes for those who marvel the world above.
Sunset quotes that will make you smile
126. “Sunset is a moment where all emotions are experienced: Melancholy, amazement, intoxication, casuistry, admiration, love, sadness…”― Mehmet Murat ildan
127. “She goes down like the sunset & brings the sweetest night creatures howling out of me.”― Curtis Tyrone Jones
128. “The sun was a fiery furnace of gold, but finally it set in the west and the cosmos glittered like a million burning embers, briefly reminding Awa of poetry readings under starry skies in Timbuktu.”― Rehan Khan
129. “Ripples of sunset dance towards our feet, swirling into the colours from the graffiti, reflected on brown water.”― Lili Wilkinson
130. “Meanwhile the sunsets are mad orange fools raging in the gloom….”― Jack Kerouac
131. “The sun still lives his silent vows to the moon, by bowing to kiss her feet whenever she walks in the room.”― Curtis Tyrone Jones
132. “Whether sunrise or sunset, it heralds a new opportunity to dream…”― Virginia Alison
133. “I’ve got sunsets on the insides of my eyelids.”― Pete Wentz
134. “As the sun sinks
It casts that silver bridge
Across the lake”― Richard L. Ratliff
135. “I feel blindfolded at sunset.”― Jennifer Elisabeth
More sunset quotes
136. “They sipped until the sun, as golden as syrupy as the bourbon, slipped into the sea.”― Delia Owens
137. “The sky of the color of ashes in the east and embers in the west.”― Stephen King, It
138. “Then I pivoted, turned, climbed astride Bessie and rod off into the sunset, soul-o.”― Debi Tolbert Duggar
139. “They ran to the museums for paintings. I ran to the roof for sunsets.”― Darnell Lamont Walker
140. “You were right about the stars, each one is a setting sun.”― Jeff Tweedy
141. “The heavens opened for the sunset to-night. When I had thought the day folded and sealed, came a burst of heavenly bright petals.”― Katherine Mansfield
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of heaven quotes to inspire kindness.
142. “The horizon changes but the sun does not.”― Joyce Rachelle
143. “The most beautiful sunset is the one which suddenly appears in front of you while you are walking pensively!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
144. “From sunrise to sunset to sunrise, there is a lifetime of beauty, charm and elegance.”― Sandeep N. Tripathi
145. “The Sun is never alone as the light remains with him always. Even when he goes down sinking…sinking, the light drowns with him.”― Munia Khan
Remember to also read these beautiful moon quotes to illuminate your life.
Did you enjoy these sunset quotes?
Nothing epitomizes the beauty of nature more than a glorious sunset on a clear day. Though many people take sunsets for granted, you should take every opportunity to appreciate them.
Watching the sunset is a spiritual experience of beauty, time and existence. It’s a reminder that it’s one more day over in our timeline of existence. Hopefully, the quotes above have inspired you to make good use of your time and create meaningful change.
Which of these quotes was your favorite? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.
February 10, 2021 6:00 AM EST