Check out these Kansas quotes to learn more about the beloved Jayhawk state.
Kansas was admitted to the United States as the 34th state in 1861.
It’s located in the Midwest and is bordered by Nebraska to the north, Oklahoma to the south, Colorado to the west, and Missouri to the east.
The state was named after the Kansas River and was home to many Native American Tribes and herds of Bison pre-1850s.
Take a look at these Kansas Quotes to learn more about this great state!
Best Kansas Quotes
Enjoy some of the best quotes about Kansas.
1. “We have a strong agricultural heritage in Kansas.” — Jim Ryun
2. “If I went West, I think I would go to Kansas.” — Abraham Lincoln
3. “Kansas held a subtle beauty that only a quiet eye could see.” — Kimber Silver
4. “Kansas was all golden and smelled like sunshine.” — The Outlaw Josey Whales
5. “If there’s anything better than life–it’s life in Kansas.” — Chamber of Commerce
6. “Kansas glories in her days to be, in her horizons limitless and vast.” — Harry Kemp
7. “Kansas afternoons in late summer are peculiar and wondrous things.” — P.S. Baber
8. “Tornado or no tornado, a girl from Kansas doesn’t let much get to her.” — Danielle Paige
9. “Sunrise Kansas, harvesters’ Kansas, a million men have found you before us.” — V. Lindsay
10. “Kansas had better stop raising corn and begin raising hell.” — Mary Elizabeth Lease
Iconic Kansas Quotes
There are many well-known qualities of Kansas, a beautiful prairie state.
11. “Kansas…the land of diversity…the land of unity.” — Chamber of Commerce
12. “We know that half has not been told of Kansas, nor ever can be.” — Arthur Cooper
13. “Kansas is all right for men and dogs, but it’s pretty hard on women and horses.” — Santa Fe Trail
14. “Everything you experience outside of Kansas will be measured against all you know here.” — P.S. Baber
15. “The fact remains: if you are willing to work, you need never despair of getting a livelihood in Kansas.” — Percy G. Ebbut
16. “The sun was over our town; it was like a blade. Kicking cottonwood leaves, we ran toward storms.” — William Stafford
17. “I believe we all agree that, for the health of Kansas, nothing is more important than education.” — Kathleen Sebelius
18. “I cannot understand why you should wish to leave this beautiful country and go back to the dry, gray place you call Kansas.” — L. Frank Baum
19. “The wizard [of Oz] says look inside yourself and find self; God says look inside yourself and find [the Holy Spirit]. The first will get you to Kansas.” — Max Lucado
20. “Nothing is eternally stable, and even Kansas isn’t really in Kansas anymore. The earth is in a constant state of flux.” — Simon Winchester
Quotes About The Wizard of Oz
In the famous 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz, Kansas is often referred to as “home.” These Kansas quotes from the movie highlight the state.
21. “Toto, we’re home. Home!” — Dorothy
22. “There’s no place like home!” — Dorothy
23. “Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!” —Dorothy
24. “My! People come and go so quickly here!” — Dorothy
25. “Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” — Dorothy
26. “I am sure I can tell you of a way to get back to Kansas.” — Glinda
27. “Someplace where there isn’t any trouble. Do you suppose there is such a place, Toto?” — Dorothy
28. “A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others.” – Wizard of Oz
29. “If I ever go looking for my heart’s desire again, I won’t look any further than my own backyard.” — Dorothy
30. “You people with hearts have something to guide you, and need never do wrong, but I have no heart, and so I must be very careful.” — Tin Man
Quotes About Kansas and Life in the State
You’ll find a variety of quotes and opinions about the state below.
31. “In Kansas, people are reserved, quiet, taciturn.” — Everett McGill
32. “Well dog, I know we’re not in Kansas, the sky’s all colored wrong.” — Big Country
33. “I’m going to Wichita / Far from this opera forevermore” — The White Stripes
34. “I come from Kansas; we’re steak-and-potato boys. I grew up on meat.” — Gary Woodland
35. “I’m a kid from Kansas, so J.C. Penny was where I got all my clothes from kindergarten to around 7th grade.” — Nick Wooster
36. “Kansas? Big state in the middle of the country. Fulla corn, Republicans, and Bible salesman, and not much else.” — Libba Bray
37. “Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-b*tches.” — The Outlaw Josey Whales
38. “There’s a reason why my mom chose to stay and raise my brothers and me in Kansas—it’s a great place to live, work, and raise a family.” — Sharice Davids
39. “As a young girl, I saw commitment in my grandmother, who helped Grandpa homestead our farm on the Kansas prairie. Somehow they outlasted the Dust Bowl, the Depression, and the tornadoes that terrorize the Great Plains.” — Sheri L. Dew
40. “I was born and raised in Kansas. The worst things are the locusts, mosquitos, the flatness, the humidity. The greatest things are the simplicity of life, watching the thunderheads building on the horizon, and running through cornfields.” — Erin Brockovich
More Kansas Quotes
Take a look at some more of the best quotes about Kansas.
41. “In Kansas, I have a chess school.” — Anatoly Karpov
42. “It’s always Kansas; that’s where I always break down.” — Fred Eaglesmith
43. “I have climbed the Great Wall of China. I have jumped out of airplanes over Kansas.” — Craig Sager
44. “If Texas and Kansas were countries, they wouldn’t be admitted to the World Trade Organization.” — Mike Leach
45. “Kansas led me to believe that everything was simple, everything made sense, and that anything was possible.” — Chely Wright
46. “Mine was a Midwest home–you can keep your world. Plain black hats rode the thoughts that made our code.” — William Stafford
47. “But wishing our Kansas soldiers’ God speed’ is not enough. We need to comfort, care for, and protect their families.” — Kathleen Sebelius
48. “We believe in Kansas institutions; in the Kansas language and in Kansas ideals; in her cleanliness of society, and in her demands that honor, sobriety, and respect.” — Charles Moreau Harger
49. “I began to believe in nothing but books and the wonderful world in books — where if people suffered, they suffered in beautiful language, not in monosyllables, as we did in Kansas.” — Langston Hughes
50. “But the dollars spent on economic incentives and new investment strategies are wasted unless we seriously address the two most important economic issues in Kansas: education and health care.” — Kathleen Sebelius
Some Facts About the State
The word Kansas is a Sioux word that means “people of the south wind.”
Here are some state symbols:
- Animal – Buffalo
- Flower – Sunflower
- Tree – Cottonwood
- State Parks – 24 total
- State Capital – Topeka
- Reptile – Ornate Box Turtle
- Song – Home on the Range
- Bird – Western Meadowlark
We hope you enjoyed these Kansas quotes!
Tell us your favorite Kansas quote in the comment section.
And please share them with others by clicking the share button!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
These books for men will help you discover who you want to be, what is holding you back, and how to create a path forward.
Keeping a motivated mind requires food for thought, and these motivational one-liners are the perfect snack.
You are never too old, poor, young, or sick to live your dreams.
There are unlimited ways to appreciate someone. Here are some simple ways to make others feel special and improve their world.
Check out these related quote articles:
Here are our favorite funny motivational quotes about life, work, and becoming successful.
From locker room pep talks to post-match interviews, athletes and coaches have delivered timeless words of wisdom that resonate far beyond the field of play.
The sky, an expansive canvas stretching above us, holds a captivating allure that has captivated hearts and minds for millennia.
These quotes about relationships will inspire you to appreciate the special person in your life even more.