These farmer quotes and sayings will give you a newfound respect for the harvest.
Farming and agriculture are the backbone of our society. This collection of farming quotes will remind you of the significant contributions made by these members of our community.
Why is farming important?
Without farmers, we wouldn’t have access to food and other basic necessities. Take a moment to really appreciate this profession and all the hard work and dedication the farm life requires.
As the population continues to grow, the workload of farmers also expands. The best quotes about farming and agriculture will make you respect the difficult labor that goes into every harvest.
Thanks to farmers, we can eat a wide range of fruits and vegetables all year round. The bountiful harvest of the farmlands sustains us all. Share these farmer quotes about working the land to inspire your friends and family. These words of wisdom can help motivate you if you ever feel like giving up. In both farming and life, hard work and perseverance always pays off.
Also check out our collection of inspirational sunflower quotes to learn from.
Farmer quotes that will make you appreciate the harvest
1. “Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.” – Thomas Jefferson
2. “When tillage begins, other arts follow. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of human civilization.” – Daniel Webster
3. “No race can prosper until it learns there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem.” – Booker T. Washington
4. “As long as there’s a few farmers out there, we’ll keep fighting for them.” – Willie Nelson
5. “You know, farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
6. “The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways.” – John F. Kennedy
7. “Do what you love to do, and be around things that make you smile. The cows make me smile every day.” – David Jackson
8. “The farmer has to be an optimist or he wouldn’t still be a farmer.” – Will Rogers
9. “Farming is a profession of hope.” – Brett Brian
10. “It is only the farmer who faithfully plants seeds in the Spring, who reaps a harvest in the Autumn.” – B. C. Forbes
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of spring quotes celebrating life, love and change.
Farmer quotes about working the land
11. “The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.” – Masanobu Fukuoka
12. “I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” – George Washington
13. “The story of family farming underscores a legacy of sustainability.” – Amanda Zaluckyj
14. “We have neglected the truth that a good farmer is a craftsman of the highest order, a kind of artist.” – Wendell Berry
15. “The master’s eye is the best fertilizer.” – Pliny the Elder
16. “I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want to own.” – Andy Warhol
17. “Whether it’s on the tractor or in the pasture with the cows, I just love being able to take my kids to work when I need to.” – Will Collier
18. “There are only three things that can kill a farmer: lightning, rolling over in a tractor, and old age.” – Bill Bryson
19. “Farmers only worry during the growing season, but townspeople worry all the time.” – Edgar Watson Howe
20. “Agriculture engenders good sense, and good sense of an excellent kind.” – Joseph Joubert
Farmer quotes about hard work and perseverance
21. “It feels good at the end of the day to know you made a product that other people are going to enjoy.” – Jericho Sanchez
22. “My dream is to become a farmer. Just a Bohemian guy pulling up his own sweet potatoes for dinner.” – Lenny Kravitz
23. “Frankly, any city person who doesn’t think I deserve a white-collar salary as a farmer doesn’t deserve my special food.” – Joel Salatin
24. “The farm is part of me.” – Erich Wehrenberg
25. “Factory farming came about from a moral race to the bottom, with corporations vying against each other to produce more and bigger animals with less care at lower cost.” – Matthew Scully
26. “It is thus with farming: if you do one thing late, you will be late in all your work.” – Cato the Elder
27. “Farming is a matter of dirt and dung. It is not the kind of thing we look to to find the meaning of human life. It is too ordinary, too inescapably a part of life to be interesting. We know that it has to be done, but see no reason to pay much attention to it. But it is just because farming is inescapably a part of human life that it may provide a clue to what is most basically human, and so a clue to our place within the cosmos.” – Stephanie Nelson
28. “Life on a farm is a school of patience; you can’t hurry the crops or make an ox in two days.” – Henri Alain
29. “A farm is a manipulative creature. There is no such thing as finished. Work comes in a stream and has no end. There are only the things that must be done now and things that can be done later. The threat the farm has got on you, the one that keeps you running from can until can’t is this: do it now, or some living thing will wilt or suffer or die. Its blackmail, really.” – Kristin Kimball
30. “The discovery of agriculture was the first big step toward a civilized life.” – Arthur Keith
You might also like these amazing vegan quotes to inspire your new diet.
Farmer quotes to motivate you
31. “A good farmer is nothing more nor less than a handy man with a sense of humus.” – E. B. White
32. “Agriculture is the greatest and fundamentally the most important of our industries. The cities are but the branches of the tree of national life, the roots of which go deeply into the land. We all flourish or decline with the farmer.” – Bernard Baruch
33. “Agriculture not only gives riches to a nation, but the only riches she can call her own.” – Samuel Johnson
34. “Farming isn’t a battle against nature, but a partnership with it. It is respecting the basics of nature in action and ensuring that they continue.” – Jeff Koehler
35. “Agriculture looks different today – our farmers are using GPS and you can monitor your irrigation systems over the Internet.” – Debbie Stabenow
36. “I do think that there is a big difference between family farms and agri-business, and one of the distressing things that I think has occurred is with consolidation of farm lands. You’ve seen large agri-businesses benefit from enormous profits from existing farm programs, and I think we should be focusing most of those programs on those family farmers.” – Barack Obama
37. “To make agriculture sustainable, the grower has got to be able to make a profit.” – Sam Farr
38. “Agriculture has become essential to life; the forest, the lake, and the ocean cannot sustain the increasing family of man; population declines with a declining cultivation, and nations have ceased to be with the extinction of their agriculture.” – Elias Hasket Derby
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of forest quotes about the beauty of the trees.
39. “Agriculture is the noblest of all alchemy; for it turns earth, and even manure, into gold, conferring upon its cultivator the additional reward of health.” – Paul Chatfield
40. “If the rain spoils our picnic, but saves a farmer’s crop, who are we to say it shouldn’t rain?” – Tom Barrett
Other inspirational farmer quotes
41. “If you tickle the earth with a hoe she laughs with a harvest.” – Douglas Jerrold
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Earth Day quotes that inspire an eco-friendly lifestyle.
42. “The goal of any farmer, after producing enough to feed his own family, has always been to find the best place to sell the year’s crop.” – Sonny Perdue
43. “Strong communities are built around local, real food. Food we trust to nourish our bodies, the farmer and planet.” – Kimbal Musk
44. “I love the idea of farm to table and farmer’s markets. I enjoy a meal more if I know I’m eating something that’s good quality and good for me.” – Haylie Duff
45. “When I help a farmer, I don’t differentiate between them based on their region, as farmers have no borders. I want to live like a world citizen and react like a human being.” – Prakash Raj
46. “My feeling was, you plant some seeds. If they grow, great; if they don’t, you don’t take it personally. Not my problem; I just kept planting. Just like a farmer.” – Hank Haney
47. “Agriculture is the foundation of manufactures, since the productions of nature are the materials of art.” – Edward Gibbon
48. “It is impossible to have a healthy and sound society without a proper respect for the soil.” – Peter Maurin
49. “Agriculture was the first occupation of man, and as it embraces the whole earth, it is the foundation of all other industries.” – Edward W. Stewart
50. “My grandfather used to say that once in your life you need a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman and a preacher, but every day, three times a day, you need a farmer.” – Brenda Schoepp
Don’t forget to also read these pineapple quotes celebrating the queen of tropical fruits.
Which of these farmer quotes and sayings makes you fall in love with the land?
Farming and agriculture are important staples of our society. If you want to show a farmer your respect and appreciation, show them your favorite farming quote from this list.
Being a farmer is a difficult and often thankless profession. Working the land and gaining a bountiful harvest is backbreaking labor that takes blood, sweat, and tears. Remember these farming quotes and insights into the farm life the next time you’re shopping for produce at the grocery store.
Farmers have a vitally important role in the community. Read this collection of agriculture quotes to renew your respect for the farming lifestyle. These words of wisdom come from the minds of acclaimed philosophers, famed celebrities, and expert farmers. Share these farming quotes with your friends and family to inspire and enlighten them.
What are your favorite farmer quotes about agriculture? Let us know in the comment section below.