Continue your spiritual enlightenment with these inspiring Jiddu Krishnamurti quotes!
Jiddu Krishnamurti was a renowned spiritual teacher and philosopher of the 20th century.
He was born on May 12, 1895, in Madanapalle, India.
As a young boy, Krishnamurti was discovered by the Theosophical Society and groomed to become the World Teacher who would guide humanity toward spiritual enlightenment.
In 1929, Krishnamurti famously declared his independence from all organized religions, institutions, and gurus.
He went on to author numerous books in which he shared his insights, and spent the remainder of his life traveling and delivering thousands of lectures on subjects like:
- nature of consciousness
Enjoy the following Krishnamurti quotes from his life and work that will inspire you in your own moments of self-reflection.
What is the ability to observe without evaluating?
These Jiddu Krishnamurti quotes reinforce his belief that awareness is among the highest intelligence.
1. “Through observation, you become a light to yourself.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
2. “The ability to observe without evaluating is the highest form of intelligence.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
3. “The first step to self-discovery is not to see what is good or bad in you, but to see what is.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
4. “Awareness is that state of mind which observes something without any condemnation or acceptance, which merely faces the thing as it is.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
5. “The more you know yourself, the more clarity there is. Self-knowledge has no end – you don’t come to an achievement, you don’t come to a conclusion. It is an endless river.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
Krishnamurti Quotes About Truth
Krishnamurti wrote extensively on the concept of truth and how to find it. Read on for quotes from Krishnamurti about finding the truth.
6. “Truth has no tradition, it cannot be handed down.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
7. “For the discovery of truth there is no path. You must enter the uncharted sea.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
8. “To receive truth, to know its beauty, to know its joy, there must be instant receptivity, unclouded by theories, fears, and answers.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
9. “It is only the perception of truth that liberates; and to see, to receive truth, there must be the focusing of attention, which means that you must give your heart and mind to see and to understand.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
10. “Reality is not what you think. It is not what you feel. It is not what you see. It is not what you imagine. It is not your consciousness. It is not your thinking. It is not your intellect. It is beyond all that.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
Krishnamurti Quotes About Freedom
Here are Jiddu Krishnamurti quotes that emphasize the importance he placed on finding freedom within.
11. “It is truth that liberates, not your effort to be free.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
12. “It is only when the mind is free from the old that it meets everything anew, and in that there is joy.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
13. “Freedom comes into being only when you are aware of the whole field, the entire process of your thinking, your feeling, your action.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
14. “Freedom is not an abstraction; it is not the freedom from something; it is not a reaction; it is not ‘I must be free from this.’ That makes the mind petty, small.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
15. “Freedom is not a reaction; freedom is not a choice. It is man’s pretense that because he has choice, he is free. Freedom is pure observation without direction, without fear of punishment and reward.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
Krishnamurti Quotes About Relationships
Krishnamurti wrote extensively about the concept of relationships. These quotes touch on relationships between people, people, and nature, and the relationship one has with one’s self.
16. “When I understand myself, I understand you, and out of that understanding comes love.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
17. “Society is the product of relationship, of yours and mine together. If we change in our relationship, society changes.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
18. “To love is not to ask anything in return, not even to feel that you are giving something- and it is only such love that can know freedom.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
19. “Relationship is not only between people but between ourselves and nature, between ourselves and property, between ourselves and ideas.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
20. “Relationship has very little significance when we are merely seeking mutual gratification but becomes extraordinarily significant when it is a means of self-revelation and self-knowledge.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
What did Krishnamurti believe was the true purpose of education?
Krishnamurti was a lifelong teacher to millions worldwide. These Jiddu Krishnamurti quotes are about his feelings on the true purpose of education.
21. “You can only be afraid of what you think you know.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
22. “Real learning comes about when the competitive spirit has ceased.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
23. “To understand life is to understand ourselves, and that is both the beginning and the end of education.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
24. “To learn is like reading a novel with innumerable characters; it requires your full attention, not contradictory attention.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
25. “To ask the ‘right’ question is far more important than to receive the answer. The solution of a problem lies in the understanding of the problem; the answer is not outside the problem, it is in the problem.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
Krishnamurti’s Teachings Live On
Krishnamurti’s teachings emphasized the importance of individual inquiry, self-awareness, and pursuing a life free from dogma and authority.
His wisdom earned him a lasting legacy as a spiritual teacher and philosopher.
Some of his most well-known books include:
- The Only Revolution
- The Flight of the Eagle
- Freedom from the Known
- The First and Last Freedom
- The Awakening of Intelligence
His books continue to be widely read and studied by individuals interested in his teachings and philosophy.
Jiddu Krishnamurti passed away on February 17, 1986, but his writings and teachings continue influencing seekers of truth and spiritual wisdom worldwide.
Tell us your favorite Jiddu Krishnamurti quote in the comment section!
We would love to hear from you.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
What areas of your life do you want to improve? In our life skills section, we talk about time management, emotional management, stress management, mindset, productivity, soft skills, communication skills, and overcoming obstacles.
There isn’t necessarily only one right path for each individual, as many roads may lead to the same destination.
Don’t let others determine your self-worth. These quotes will help you understand why no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Increasing your dedication to work can help you advance your career, improve your financial outlook, and help you achieve goals.
Check out these related quote articles:
Here are some deep quotes from authors, sports figures, geniuses, and everyone in between!
Life was meant to be enjoyed!
The sky, an expansive canvas stretching above us, holds a captivating allure that has captivated hearts and minds for millennia.
Words of wisdom are helpful to anyone looking to get inspired through words that are as powerful as they are meaningful.