These Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes remind us that hard work and perseverance can make anything possible!
Laura Ingalls Wilder is a well-known writer who began her life as a pioneer moving around the American Midwest during the 19th century.
Tell us your favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder quote in the comment section.
You may also enjoy reading these related quotes:
Why read about Laura Ingalls Wilder?
Despite a rough, rural upbringing and lack of opportunities for girls in that era, Laura Ingalls Wilder became a beloved American literature author.
Reading Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes shows us that you can achieve anything you want when you persevere and unapologetically pursue your dreams.
Laura Ingalls (and later, Ingalls Wilder) did not have an easy life.
She was born in a log cabin in Wisconsin to a pioneering family that moved around a lot.
Life as a pioneer was tough, and constant hard work was necessary for survival and success.
Although it was not common in the late 1800s for children (especially girls) to be educated past 8th grade, Laura received a higher education and eventually became a teacher.
She married Almanzo Wilder in 1885, and they had one daughter together.
Little House books
Laura went on to write the famous Little House series of books, which chronicled her family’s life and adventures as pioneers.
The series includes the following books:
- “Little House in the Big Woods” (published 1932)
- “Little House on the Praire” (published 1935)
- “On the Banks of Plum Creek” (published 1937)
- “By the Shores of Silver Lake” (published 1939)
Her books became popular with readers of all ages and have since become American children’s literature classics.
Laura Ingalls Wilder’s books have also been adapted into many TV shows and movies, mostly based on “Little House on the Prairie.”
She was a strong advocate for education and believed that everyone should have access to it.
After her days teaching in a one-room schoolhouse, Wilder continued championing education until she died in 1957.
Laura Ingalls Wilder proves that no matter your circumstances if you work hard, you can make your life anything you want it to be.
Enjoy these quotes from Laura Ingalls Wilder!
Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes on life
These quotes will give you insight into Laura’s life.
1. “Remember well, and bear in mind, a constant friend is hard to find.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
2. “Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
3. “I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
4. “The true way to live is to enjoy every moment as it passes, and surely it is in the everyday things around us that the beauty of life lies.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
5. “We who live in quiet places have the opportunity to become acquainted with ourselves, to think our own thoughts and live our own lives in a way that is not possible for those keeping up with the crowd.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes about happiness and love
These quotes give insight into how Laura viewed life.
6. “A good laugh overcomes more difficulties and dissipates more dark clouds than any other one thing.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
7. “Suffering passes, while love is eternal. That’s a gift that you have received from God. Don’t waste it.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
8. “It is not the things you have that make you happy. It is love and kindness and helping each other and just plain being good.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
9. “It is the simple things of life that make living worthwhile, the sweet fundamental things such as love and duty, work and rest, and living close to nature.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
10. The real things haven’t changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
Inspirational Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes
Find inspiration and encouragement in the following quotes.
11. “There’s no great loss without some small gain.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
12. “In order to thoroughly enjoy anything, one must feel the absence of it at times.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
13. “We’d never get anything fixed to suit us if we waited for things to suit us before we started.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
14. “It does not so much matter what happens. It is what one does when it happens that really counts.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
15. “No one has ever achieved anything from the smallest to the greatest unless the dream was dreamed first.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
Best Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes
Remember the books and television series with the following quotes.
16. “Home is the nicest word there is.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
17. “Courage and kindness, loyalty, truth, and helpfulness are always the same and always needed.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
18. “Life was not intended to be simply a round of work, no matter how interesting and important that work may be.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
19. “Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
20. “Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I’ll remember you all. If you can only remember me with tears, then don’t remember me at all.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
Laura Ingalls Wilder words from her works of literature
These quotes are straight from Laura’s written word.
21. “No rich man can walk through the eye of a needle.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder, The Long Winter
22. “These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years.” ― Laura Ingalls
Wilder, These Happy Golden Years
23. “They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. It can never be a long time ago.”― Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House in the Big Woods
24. “You work hard, but you work as you please, and no man can tell you to go or come. You’ll be free and independent, son, on a farm.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder, Farmer Boy
25. “Our inability to see things that are right before our eyes, until they are pointed out to us, would be amusing if it were not at times so serious.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder, Before the Prairie: The Small Farm
The real Laura Ingalls Wilder
While her “Little House” series is fictionalized autobiography, one of her later works provides a glimpse into her real adult life before she became a famous author.
“West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915” is a collection of letters that Wilder wrote to her husband, Almanzo, while she was visiting their daughter, Rose, in San Francisco in 1915.
It’s a unique and special piece of writing from Wilder.
The letters describe her experiences and observations of life in the big city, her feelings about being away from her husband, and her worries about their financial situation.
It offers insight into her thoughts and emotions and helps to paint a fuller picture of the author behind the beloved Little House books.
The book provides a more personal and intimate look at Wilder’s life and personality than her earlier works.
Tell us your favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes in the comment section.
If you enjoyed these Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes, please share them with others by clicking the Share button!