Celebrate life with these profound loss of a father quotes.
Losing a parent can be challenging. It does not matter if you are a child or an adult; a parent’s death is always traumatic.
Old wisdom says, “Do not cry because it is over; smile because it happened.”
It is reminiscent of the Hebrew proverb, “Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.”
Both of these wise sayings can provide comfort to anyone navigating a loss.
Fathers hold the hands of children, so they become courageous.
French priest and author Antoine Francois Prevost once opined, “The heart of a father is the masterpiece of nature,” reminding us of the powerful love a father can provide.
Quality fathers embed their wisdom and virtues in us so that we grow.
Take a look at these loss of a father quotes so that you may be consoled, or that you may console another.
Loss Of A Father Condolences Quotes
It is said that we learn through our hardships so that we may help others. Check out the quotes below from others that have experience loss.
1. “One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.” — George Herbert
2. “There is no expiration date on the love between a father and his child.” – Jennifer Williamson
4. “To his very last days, dad’s life was instructive.” — George W. Bush
5. “Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes.” — Gloria Naylor
6. “The heart of a father is the masterpiece of nature.” – Antoine Francois Prevost
7. “Dad, wherever you are, you are gone but you will never be forgotten.” — Conrad Hall
8. “Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.” – Hebrew Proverb
9. “When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.” — Linda Poindexter
10. “If you love your dad, it’s tough when he dies.” — Jimmy Iovine
Loss Of A Father Quotes About Losing A Great Father
The passing of any good father is a huge loss. Take a look at the quotes below to see the impact a great father leaves.
11. “My daddy was my hero—he was always there for me when I needed him.” — Bindi Irwin
12. “Of course, losing my father was traumatic. I was an only child.” — Thomas G. Stemberg
13. “This is the price you pay for having a great father. You get the wonder, the joy, the tender moments – and you get the tears at the end, too.” — Harlan Coben
14. “A father’s love is forever imprinted on his child’s heart” — Jennifer Williamson
15. “He was a father. That’s what a father does. Eases the burdens of those he loves.” — George Saunders
16. “To know you’ll never see your father again is to realize one of life’s greatest pains.” — Saim .A. Cheeda
17. “My father was always there for me when I lost. But, then, I never really lost when my father was there.” — Laurie Beth Jones
18. “The loss of my father will always sting.”— Adrienne C. Moore
19. “The loss of my father was the most traumatic event in my life – I can’t forget the pain.” — Frank Lowy
20. “To lose your father is to lose the one whose guidance and help you seek, who supports you like a tree trunk supports its branches.” — Yann Martel
21. “You see, my father taught me that even our most profound losses are survivable. – Ted Kennedy, Jr.
Loss Of A Father Quotes and Sayings
There are many sayings about losing a father, because it is very traumatic. Check out the quotes below.
22. “Many people long for a father’s love. I had it. I have it still.” — Jennifer Grant
23. “When they’re gone the world turns upside down and you’re left holding on, trying not to fall off.” — Walter Mosley
24. “No matter how old we are, we still need our dads, and wonder how we’ll get by without them.” — Jennifer Williamson
25. “And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly.” — Maya Angelou
26. “If you don’t like your dad, it’s tough when he dies.”— Jimmy Iovine
27. “His death brings new experience to my life – that of a wound that will not heal.” — Ernst Jünger
28. “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us.” — Umberto Eco
29. “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.” — Kahlil Gibran
30. “Let me tell you, he is the hole in my heart. His loss is my scar.” – Michelle Obama
When You Experience Loss Of A Father Quotes
Losing a father is never easy. Take a look at how others have described this sad time.
31. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” — Mitch Albom
32. “Because you lose that guy. Whatever you didn’t get, you miss. And what you did get, you miss.” — Jimmy Iovine
33. “But now, everything that I do is in honor of him and celebrates his life.” — Adrienne C. Moore
34. “My father gave me my dreams. Thanks to him, I could see a future.” — Liza Minnelli
35. “Love doesn’t die with death. Love gets into everything.” — Kate O’Neill
36. “Death doesn’t conquer all; love does. Love wins every single time. Love wins by loving more, loving again, loving without fear.” — Kate O’Neill
37. “This is what you remember of the people you love when they’re gone—the ways they knew you that no one else did—even you. In that way, their passing is a death of a piece of yourself.” — Jeff Zentner
38. “But let me tell you something, his memory drives me forward every single day of my life.” — Michelle Obama
39. “I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much.” — Hedy Lamarr
40. “It was a portion of my own self-analysis, my reaction to my father’s death—that is to say, to the most important event, the most poignant loss of a man’s life.” — Sigmund Freud
Loss Of A Father Quotes On A Father’s Impact
The Quotes below do a great job of showing how impactful a father can be. As evidences by these quotes, a father’s impact lasts longer than his lifetime.
41. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could ever give another person. He believed in me.” — Jim Valvano
42. “Whenever I am brought low, I rise. That is not because I am virtuous, strong, resilient, it is simply because [my father] was.” — Meghan McCain
43. “That’s the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going in to every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone.” — Mitch Albom
44. “The death of any loved parent is an incalculable lasting blow. Because no one ever loves you again like that.” — Brena Ueland
45. “It hurts when they’re gone. And it doesn’t matter if it’s slow or fast, whether it’s a long drawn-out disease or an unexpected accident. — Walter Mosley
46. “But from the time my father died, my general theme in life has been to turn adversity into opportunity.” — Thomas G. Stemberg
47. “And that is–it is what we do with that loss–our ability to transform it into a positive event–that is one of my father’s greatest lessons.” – Ted Kennedy, Jr.
48. “When a great man dies, for years the light he leaves behind him, lies on the paths of men.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
49. “Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” – Ernest Hemingway
50. “Love has no age, no limit; and no death.” – John Galsworthy
Losing a Father is Never Easy. Have You Had to Experience This?
Naturally, it would be hard for anyone to lose the support of a father.
Music entrepreneur Jimmy Iovine noted that “If you love your dad, it’s tough when he dies, if you dont’ love your father, its tough when he dies.”
Fatherhood is not limited to just humanity on planet earth.
We also see some of the most extraordinary examples of fatherhood in the animal kingdom.
Animal fathers carry eggs, provide protection and food, build nests and share valuable knowledge.
The emperor penguin, seahorse, sea dragon, and gorilla are just a few examples of animal fathers who go to great lengths to ensure the safety and wellness of their young in the wild.
Losing a good father is like losing a piece of who we are.
When they transition from the physical world, what they taught us remains a testament to their love for us.
What was your favorite loss of a father quote? Have you or your family or friends had to experience the loss of a father? Let us know in the comments.
September 2, 2022 7:00 AM EST