If the world of royalty intrigues you, these monarchy quotes are for you!
Here, we have created a compilation of the best monarchy quotes.
You might also be interested in these related articles:
When sharing these quotes with friends and family, we select them to offer an enjoyable experience.
We have also discussed monarchy, its pros & cons, and why it is still exercised in some countries.
So, without delay, let’s dive in!
What is a Monarchy?
A monarchy is a kind of government that is governed by a single individual known as a monarch.
Usually, a monarch is a person who holds all the powers and runs the government according to his way.
This type of government has been around for centuries.
In history, monarchy served as the most popular form of government.
Even today, monarchy continues to exist in a few countries worldwide.
Types of Monarchy
Here are different kinds of monarchies:
- Absolute Monarchy: Also called an autocracy, the monarch is the only person that holds absolute power
- Constitutional Monarchy: Under this type of monarchy, the constitution limits the powers of a monarch
- Elective Monarchy: A kind of monarchy where the monarch is elected to become the sole authority to govern the country
Benefits of Monarchy
When it comes to the advantages of monarchy, there are a few.
Usually, the most important benefit of this type of government is political stability.
This is so, as the monarch is born into the ruling family.
Hence, they succeed in the right to become a monarch.
Another benefit of monarchy is that it portrays a unified image in front of the world.
The monarch is the only head of the state who represents the nation on every platform.
Disadvantages of Monarchy
The most prominent disadvantage of monarchy is the lack of accountability.
Since the monarch is the most powerful person, no one dares to ask him a question.
He utilizes his powers single-handedly and makes major decisions without any consultation with the people or their representatives.
So, there is no democracy at all.
Why Monarchy Still Appeals to Some Countries
Even if there are various disadvantages associated with monarchy, there are many countries still practicing monarchy today.
Numerous cultural and historical aspects are attached to monarchy, making it more suitable and preferred for some countries.
Apart from this, a few people consider monarchy the only way to preserve a country’s culture, pride, and national identity.
This is because the monarch promotes national unity, especially in countries with diversified populations.
Top 10 Monarchy Quotes
Here are our top 10 monarchy-related quotes.
1. “Abolish the monarchy. That is my populist take.” — Steve Hilton
2. “The aim of my life is the overthrow of the monarchy.” — Karl Liebknecht
3. “The rule of law is a republic. The rule of one person is a monarchy.” — Lee Zeldin
4. “The monarchy is a part of the state. It exists to serve the people.” — Heather Brooke
5. “The people under our system, like the king in a monarchy, never die.” — Martin Van Buren
6. “It’s vital that the monarchy keeps in touch with the people. It’s what I try and do.” — Princess Diana
7. “If monarchy is corrupting – and it is – wait till you see what overt empire does to us.” — Daniel Ellsberg
8. “The more unpopular politicians are, the better people think it is to have a monarchy.” — Sarah Bradford
9. “I think the relation between the monarchy and the press is very much a two-way street.” — Anthony Holden
10. “What is striking is how the reputation of the monarchy has gone up and down in my lifetime.” — David Starkey
Monarchy Quotes Related to Facts
These monarchy quotes are related to facts about the monarchy.
11. “The best Governments of the World have been composed of Monarchy, Aristocracy, and Democracy.” — Algernon Sidney
12. “The invention of the camera enabled the reinvention of the British monarchy for the modern era.” — Lucy Worsley
13. “The monarchy is finished. It was finished a while ago, but they’re still making the corpses dance.” — Sue Townsend
14. “Once you touch the trappings of monarchy, like opening an Egyptian tomb, the inside is liable to crumble.” — Anthony Sampson
15. “A monarchy conducted with infinite wisdom and infinite benevolence is the most perfect of all possible governments.” — Ezra Stiles
16. “The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another – no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy.” — Friedrich Engels
17. “Something as curious as the monarchy won’t survive unless you take account of people’s attitudes. After all, if people don’t want it, they won’t have it.” — Prince Charles
You might also enjoy these Prince Philip quotes.
18. “Fear and monarchy pair nicely. But democracy means you have to work with people you may not like, but you must still believe are your equals. And a fearful people never trust the other side.” — Martha Nussbaum
19. “The monarchy is foremost a business, and it’s important to them that the British public continue to finance the excessively luxurious lifestyles of the now quite enormous, wasteful, and useless ‘royal’ family. I find it very sad.” — Morrissey
20. “A monarchy is the most expensive of all forms of government, the regal state requiring a costly parade, and he who depends on his own power to rule must strengthen that power by bribing the active and enterprising whom he cannot intimidate.” — James Fenimore Cooper
Monarchy Quotes Stating Personal Opinions
These monarchy quotes offer opinions from notable figures on royalty and its impact on society.
21. “I am a vigilant monarchist. I want to see things evolve.” — Andrew Motion
22. “I’ve spent a bit of time with the Prince of Wales, who I respect greatly. I’d give two cheers for the monarchy.” — Sting
23. “I don’t think the monarchy is tawdry in the slightest. I think the monarchy is hugely important for Britain.” — Penny Junor
24. “I’m not a great fan of monarchy in general, but I have to say the Danish monarchy is closer to the people; it’s not as stuffy as the English one.” — Viggo Mortensen
25. “I love the whole fairy tale of the Royal Family; the Crown Jewels; Buckingham Palace; the tourist attraction. But really, is that what we’ve got a monarchy for?” — Slowthai
26. “I’m not a Republican anymore. Not so voraciously anyway – I’m not in favor of the concept of monarchy, but I do see the good in it if there’s a good person in the role.” — Helen Mirren
27. “I don’t accept at all the quite popular argument that the press is responsible for the monarchy’s recent troubles. The monarchy’s responsible for the monarchy’s recent troubles.” — Anthony Holden
28. “I just don’t see the use of the monarchy though I’m a fierce patriot. I’m proud proud proud of being English, but I think the monarchy symbolizes a lot of what was wrong with the country.” — Daniel Radcliffe
29. “I hate the unfairness of injustice. Anybody who thinks they are better than others or ‘chosen’ or feel they have an entitlement… be it through monarchy, government, or money. I think we are all born the same.” — Liam Cunningham
30. “I tend to be a bit of a proselytizer for the importance of royal courts, but all politics – in fact every form of human organization, and this is something that’s so dreadful for all those brought up in the 60s – naturally reverts to monarchy.” — David Starkey
Monarchy Quotes About the Benefits of Monarchy
Here, monarchy quotes emphasize the benefits of a monarchy.
31. “Democracy… while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy.” — John Adams
32. “The best reason Monarchy is a strong government is that it is an intelligible one.” — Walter Bagehot
33. “A constitutional monarchy requires the monarch to be above politics but to be fully informed about politics.” — Jacob Rees-Mogg
34. “In the Roman commonwealth, even on the conversion of the monarchy into a republic, the old was as far as possible retained.” — Theodor Mommsen
35. “Of the various forms of government which have prevailed in the world, a hereditary monarchy seems to present the fairest scope for ridicule.” — Edward Gibbon
36. “From creating a new sovereign to affairs of the heart, majestic moments to everyday life, when monarchy wants to send a message, it uses a photograph.” — Lucy Worsley
37. “The monarchy is thousands of years old and has experienced many things like ‘The Crown’ in the past. They’re always changing and evolving; that’s the thing.” — Claire Foy
38. “In the early 20th century, the monarchy was held up as the archetypical virtuous British family. In the late 20th century, it became the most wonderful symbol of the complete re-engineering of family structures.” — David Starkey
39. “It’s like a rugby team. If you’re picking for the World Cup final, you’re picking experience with youth. Everything is better off having that balance and that mix. I think that, especially, goes for the monarchy as well.” — Prince William
40. “The British monarchy has the political and constitutional task of subtracting from the government and governors of Britain the papal and kingly airs that in America, because we have no such institution, unfortunately, adhere to the president.” — Mark Helprin
Exemplary Monarchy Quotes
The following are monarchy quotes about its most prominent pros and cons.
41. “The monarchy that I hand over to my son is not going to be the same one that I have inherited.” — Abdullah II of Jordan
42. “Then this will only prove again and again that Monarchy in Germany is he longer capable of a national act.” — Ferdinand Lassalle
43. “Saudi Arabia is a frightened monarchy. It’s beset by Sunni extremists from the Islamic State and Shiite extremists backed by Iran.” — David Ignatius
44. “I was born on July 23, 1906, in Sarajevo in the province of Bosnia, which then belonged to the Austrian-Hungarian Monarchy and later, in 1918, became part of Yugoslavia.” — Vladimir Prelog
45. “We could have a political movement going if it had been properly organized, but the Monarchy’s done itself enormous damage possibly beyond the point of long-term recovery.” — Anthony Holden
46. “Just as an individual of pre-eminent worth transforms democracy into a monarchy of the best man, even so, the rule of one man, if in all things it has an eye to the common welfare, is democracy.” — Apollonius of Tyana
47. “We got our revolution out of the way long before the French and the Americans. The monarchy was restored, but the sovereignty of our parliament, made up of and elected by a slowly widening constituency of the people, has never been seriously challenged since then.” — Robert Webb
48. “One of the things about George III is that he was aware that the monarchy was slipping away. There was a revolution in the air all over Europe. Because of the unpopularity of his predecessors, one of the things he wanted to do was to establish some sort of credibility to the monarchy.” — Nigel Hawthorne
49. “A political revolution must proceed simultaneously with the nationalist revolution. When we overthrow the Manchu regime, we will achieve not only a nationalist revolution against the Manchus but also a political revolution against the monarchy. They are not to be carried out at two different times.” — Sun Yat-sen
50. “In Georgia, where I spend much time, the democratically elected pro-western President Mikhail Saakashvili has been beleaguered by a riotous opposition which proposes creating a constitutional monarchy under the Bagrationi dynasty, with a Spanish racing driver, Prince ‘Jorge’ Bagrationi, as king.” — Simon Sebag Montefiore
Which One of these Monarchy Quotes is your Favorite?
We hope you have enjoyed going through our monarchy quotes.
These quotes offer insight into the critical elements of monarchy and how it is exercised.
Monarchy has both its advantages and disadvantages.
On one end, it offers continuity and stability to the country. But on the other side, it proves to be undemocratic.
Besides, if you have found a quote that inspires you the most, share it with us in the comments section below.
We are looking forward to your reply.