Pirates are intriguing figures, both in real life and in movies. People are fascinated by them, and there are plenty of pirates quotes about people wanting to be a pirate when they grow up. There are also pirate quotes about love and treasure.
We are all familiar with cliche pirate saying like “Ahoy, maties” and “Shiver me timbers,” but what are some other things historical pirates have actually said? Hollywood pirates are also responsible for some of the funniest quotes about pirates.
Pirates of the Caribbean is an incredibly successful swashbuckler film series produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. It was so popular that it has also become one of Walt Disney’s beloved theme park attractions.
Disney’s obsession with pirates can also be seen in shows like Peter Pan and Jake and the Neverland Pirates, with Captain Hook being a prominent Disney villain. Who could forget Once Upon a Time’s rendition of Captain Killian Hook! Were pirates really like this historically? Keep reading through these pirate quotes to find out!
Don’t forget to also check out these Jack Sparrow quotes from everyone’s favorite pirate.
Famous pirate quotes from authentic pirates
1. “I am sorry to see you here, but if you had fought like a man, you needn’t be hanged like a dog.” ― Anne Bonny
2. “My Lord, it is a very hard sentence. For my part, I am the innocentest person of them all, only I have been sworn against by perjured persons.” ― William Kidd
3. “Heaven, you fool? Did you ever year of any pirates going thither? Give me hell, it’s a merrier place: I’ll give Roberts a salute of 13 guns at entrance.” ― Thomas Sutton
4. “It is a blessing for a man to have a hand in determining his own fate.” ― Blackbeard
5. “Aye, tough mermaids are, the lot of them.” ― Blackbeard
6. “Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.” ― Blackbeard
7. “People are what are scary…people.” ― Blackbeard
8. “And what fate befalls mutineers?” ― Blackbeard
9. “Your words surround you like fog and make you hard to see.” ― Blackbeard
10. “Heaven, you fool? Did you ever year of any pirates going thither? Give me hell, it’s a merrier place.” ― Thomas Sutton
11. “If there’s a man among ye, ye’ll come up and fight like the man ye are to be!” ― Mary Read
12. “Under the leadership of a man you have all chosen to flee. We shall see how you prove yourselves under the hand of a woman.” ― Madame Ching
Funny pirate quotes about treasure, looting, and booty
13. “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” ― Walt Disney
14. “Fate has brought us together again. Well, actually, buried treasure and pirates brought us together.” ― Kermit the Frog as Captain Abraham Smollet, Muppet Treasure Island
15. “When a pirate grows rich enough, they make him a prince.” ― George R R Martin
16. “It is when pirates count their booty that they become mere thieves.” ― William Bolitho
17. “Let’s jump on board, and cut them to pieces.” ― Blackbeard
18. “It’s funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.” ― Jack Handey
19. “If the pirate with a scarf had been more poetically minded, he’d have thought that her eyes were like a thousand emeralds, glittering in a far-off pirate treasure chest. But he wasn’t, so he just thought that she had really, really green eyes, a bit like seaweed.” ― Gideon Defoe
Romantic pirate quotes about love from these leading men
20. “You can be the gentleman and shoot the lady and starve to death yourself.” ― Captain Barbosa, Pirates of the Caribbean
21. “If you choose to lock your heart away, you’ll lose it for certain.” ― Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
22. “Ah. Love. A dreadful bond.” ― Davy Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean
23. “I may be a pirate, but I bristle at the thought of a woman losing her heart. Unless it’s over me.” ― Captain Killian Hook, Once Upon a Time
24. “My heart will always belong to you.” ― Davy Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean
25. “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.” ― Dread Pirate Roberts, The Princess Bride
26. “Actually, I quite fancy you from time to time. When you’re not yelling at me.” ― Captain Killian Hook, Once Upon a Time
Pirate quotes on life lessons
27. “A good dream, is better than a shitty reality.” ― Blackbeard
28. “Honestly, it’s the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they’re going to do something incredibly stupid.” ― Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
29. “You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course!” ― Long John Silver, Treasure Planet
30. “You’ll not forget what I done good, not any more than you’ll forget the bad.” ― Long John Silver, Treasure Island
31. “One soul is not equal to another.” ― Davy Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean
32. “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.” ― Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
33. “In the dark, there is discovery, there is possibility, there is freedom in the dark once someone has illuminated it.” ― Captain Flint, Black Sails
34. “For certain, you have to be lost to find a place that can’t be found. Else ways, everyone would know where it was.” ― Captain Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean
35. “The truth is far too much fun.” ― Captain Hook, Hook
36. “Revenge may sate your being, but don’t misunderstand me, my dear. It’s an end, not a beginning.” ― Captain Killian Hook, Once Upon a Time
37. “Nobody will believe it’s possible until we show them.” ― Captain Flint, Black Sails
38. “I’ve just had a sublime vision. All the jagged parts of my life have come together to form a complete and mystical… whole.” ― Captain Hook, Hook
39. “It’s a pleasant thing to be young, and have ten toes, and you may lay to that.” ― Long John Silver, Treasure Island
40. “In an honest service there is thin commons, low wages, and hard labor; in this, plenty and satiety, pleasure and ease, liberty and power; and who would not balance creditor on this side, when all the hazard that is run for it, at worst, is only a sour look or two at choking. No, a merry life and a short one, shall be my motto.” ― Bartholomew “Black Bart” Roberts
More pirate quotes and sayings
41. “My youngest son has a very clear idea of what he wants to be when he grows up: he wants to be Indiana Jones, Batman, and Jack Sparrow. Yes, all three at the same time. So he basically wants to be an archaeologist who wears tights and fights crimes on pirate ships. That’s pretty cool, huh?” ― Rhys Darby
42. “When I was a child, I wanted to raise horses in Wyoming or be a cabin boy on a pirate ship.” ― Sadie Jones
43. “My biggest dream since I was a kid was to be the woman sneaking on the pirate ship dressed like a man, who was this great sword fighter, and the captain fell in love with her.” ― Maria Bello
44. “When I was about 5 I think, I desperately wanted to be a pirate and have the hat and everything.” ― Keira Knightley
45. “I was the kid who stared out the window. I fantasized myself on the deck of pirate ships – Cussler at the bridge.” ― Clive Cussler
46.” I have a ship’s bed, which totally plays to my obsession of, if I were not an actress, I would be a pirate.” ― Zosia Mamet
47. “I went to high school, and I started getting bullied because I was very weird. I mean, freshman year, I went to school in a pirate suit – I just didn’t care. I’m not like the cool girls – I’m the other girl. The one that’s basically a nerd, but proud of that.” ― Lele Pons
48. “When we were kids, we would just go walking: just walk in a direction and hope that you were gonna find a crashed alien spaceship or buried pirate’s treasure or something like that. You never did. You’d find, like, a coyote skeleton, something like that. That was the most exciting thing you’d ever find.” ― Jon Watts
49. “I’ve always wanted to play a coach in a movie, just to be the captain of anything in the pirate ship of my bathtub.” ― Brad Garrett
50. “It’s more fun to be a pirate than to join the Navy.” ― Steve Jobs
What did you learn from these pirate quotes?
Some of the most notorious historical pirates include people like Blackbeard (Edward Teach), Anne Bonny, Calico Jack Rackham, and Black Sam (Jack Bellamy). What was being a real pirate like, though? Did it look like all our fictional adaptions?
Real pirates were indeed ruthless and menacing thieves. It was rare for authentic pirates to bury their treasure. They much preferred to spend it in ports on booze and women. They were more into the hedonistic pleasures of right now than wealth planning for the future. Their business was a dangerous and dastardly one, and they knew it.
There are so many interesting legends about real pirates, like how Anne Bonny snuck aboard Calico Jack’s ship dressed as a man. The legend goes they spared her from a death sentence when the crew was captured because she was pregnant with Calico Jack’s child.
Another thing that seems to be a thing of legends, is how often pirates made people walk the plank. In reality, their preferred method of punishment was ‘keel-hauling.’ This involved tying the victim up and then dragging them under their ship. Sometimes, the person was drug quickly, usually leading to serious injury from debris that gathered around the ship. Other times they were drug slowly and drowned. Either outcome sounds horrific!
Do you have any interesting pirate quotes, facts, or myths you want to share? You can use the comment section below to share your pirate wisdom.
May 31, 2021 7:00 AM EST