These rest in peace quotes will give you a little positivity that you need to hear to get you through the day.
Death is one of the only things we can be absolutely sure of in life. But that doesn’t make losing someone who has passed away any easier for those who are grieving.
Some people die from old age, some die from sickness, and some die from unexpected tragedies. While some deaths may be easier to accept than others, the heartbreak of losing someone close to you is absolutely unimaginable.
But having faith that a person’s soul is at peace can help us get through this difficult time and eventually take the steps we need to move on with our lives. These rest in peace quotes won’t bring back those who have passed on, but they may help relieve some of the pain.
Don’t forget to also read these grief quotes celebrating the life of someone who passed away.
Rest in Peace Quotes on Death
1. “Death is beautiful, part of life…No, it is sad. It’s sad when anyone dies. Even though every single human dies. So it’s really not that sad.” ― Harris Wittels
2. “You embrace death because life doesn’t exist without it.” ― Dominic Riccitello
3. “When you are alive – try to find peace at rest; After death – RIP!” ― Amresh Jha
4. “Death is just another stage of life, although the one you kind of hope comes last.” ― Robert Breault
5. “We say that the hour of death cannot be forecast, but when we say this we imagine that hour as placed in an obscure and distant future. It never occurs to us that it has any connection with the day already begun or that death could arrive this same afternoon, this afternoon which is so certain and which has every hour filled in advance.” ― Marcel Proust
6. “When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death,so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over gain in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.” ― Chief Aupumut
7. “Wishing the dead, ‘rest in peace’ is meaningless – it’s something they already have. Resting peacefully is an exclusive desire of the living or do you wish to be disturbed when at rest? Rest peacefully and rest in peace are one and the same thing. The difference is only in our perception.” ― Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
8. “All say, How hard it is that we have to die—a strange complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.” ― Mark Twain
9. “Death is something inevitable. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace. I believe I have made that effort and that is, therefore, why I will sleep for the eternity.” ― Nelson Mandela
10. “Life is pleasant, death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome” ― Isaac Ashimov
11. “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” ― Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
12. “Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death.” ― Isaiah
13. “Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
14. “Death is only passing through God’s other door.” ― Edgar Cayce
15. “Peace is joy at rest. Joy is peace on its feet.” ― Anne Lamott
16. “A rested face is a beautiful face. However you can, find your place of rest and peace.” ― Goldie Hawn
17. “Rest your mind for a moment in the peace of knowing you were created and you do exist.” ― Bryant McGill
Rest in Peace Quotes on Life
18. “He died that day because his body had served its purpose. His soul had done what it came to do, learned what it came to learn, and then was free to leave.” — Garth Stein
19. “Like the ocean, life ebbs and flows with the occasional rip.” ― Kamil Ali
20. “Keep the door to her life open.” ― Edith Fogg Hickman
21. “We tell the dead to rest in peace, when we should worry about the living to live in peace.” ― Anthony Liccione
22. “My life will end someday, but it will end at my convenience.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
23. “When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in a manner so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.” ― Native American Proverb
24. “And because I love this life I know I shall love death as well The child cries out when From the right breast the mother Takes it away, in the very next moment to find in the left one its consolation.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
25. “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” ― Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Dumbledore quotes on love, life, integrity and socks.
26. “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well used brings happy death.” ― Leonardo da Vinci
27. “My religion is to live and die without regret.” ― Milarepa
28. “Let’s learn to live! Then there is no death, save the transition, when desired. Many live who have never died as yet.” ― Edgar Cayce
29. “But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood.” ― Robert E. Howard
30. “Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of fall quotes the falling in love.
Rest in Peace Quotes on Grief
31. “Grief is not a disorder, a disease, or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical, and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve.” — Rabbi Earl Grollman
32. “Despite all progress in science, there’s still no way to show gratitude to a person who is no more. Show your love when people are around.” ― Vineet Raj Kapoor
33. “My life will end someday, but it will end at my convenience.” — Michael Bassey Johnson
34. “How many brothers fell victim to the streets? Rest in peace, young nigga, there’s a heaven for a G.” — Life Goes On, Tupac Shakur
35. “He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
36. “Our death is not an end if we can live on in our children and the younger generation. For they are us, our bodies are only wilted leaves on the tree of life.” — Albert Einstein
37. “A thousand words won’t bring you back, I know because I’ve tried; Neither will a thousand tears, I know because I’ve cried.” — Jessica Crowley
38. “There are no goodbyes. Where ever you’ll be, you’ll be in my heart.” — Ghandi
39. “I want to find a quiet place, to sit with you a while, to talk about the happy times, and hope that makes you smile. Rest in Peace Darling.” — Susan Smith
40. “When your heart is heavy, sometimes it’s just easier to retweet the words of another person who seems to know exactly how you feel.” ― Germany Kent
41. “Grief is a normal and natural response to loss. It is originally an unlearned feeling process. Keeping grief inside increases your pain.” ― Anne Grant
42. “Every step I take, every move I make. Every single day, every time I pray. I’ll be missing you” ― Sean Combs, Faith Evans
Rest in Peace Quotes on Remembering
43. “I’ll remember you. When I’ve forgotten all the rest. You to me were true. You to me were the best.” — Bob Dylan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Bob Dylan quotes from the iconic Folk singer.
44. “Not everyone who died had left a memory and not everyone who had left a memory had left a blessed one. Therefore, not all have died should be tagged of a blessed memory.” — Israelmore Ayivor
45. “Loving memories last forever, I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time. Please know that I am thinking of you and praying for peace and comfort.” — Leo Buscaglia
46. “When we were kids you believed with all your heart that your mom was among the stars looking down on us. Tonight I look up searching for you among the stars. Dedicated to Rohinie Haridat.” ― Tilicia Haridat
47. “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.” ― Leo Buscaglia
48. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” ― Dr. Seuss
49. “Life can be so illogical at times. Today I am crying for the person who taught me how to laugh. You meant everything to me. Rest in peace, my dear!” ― Unknown
50. “A man may die but his legacy will continue through his deeds. Today the pain of losing you is difficult to bear because this world needed you for some more years.” ― Unknown
Other Rest in Peace Quotes and Sayings
51. “I know that your kind soul is in Paradise watching over us. Till we meet again.” ― Unknown
52. “What is lovely never dies, But passes into other loveliness.” – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
53. “I’ll always remember the things you taught me, and how much you loved me. Rest well, my angel.”― Unknown
54. “Across the years I will walk with you,
in deep green forests,
on shores of sand and when our time on earth is through,
in heaven too, you will have my hand!” – Robert Sexton
55. “My heart hurts every time I think about you, but knowing you are in a better place brings me comfort to live on.”― Unknown
56. “Darkness may hide the trees and the flowers from the eyes but it cannot hide love from the soul.” – Rumi
57. “Sleep well best friend. Words cannot explain the vacuum you’ve left. I’ll continue rekindling our memories together.”― Unknown
58. “The Remembrance of the good done by those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them.” – Demoustier
59. “Tears are sometimes an inappropriate response to death. When a life has been lived completely honestly, completely successfully, or just completely, the correct response to death’s perfect punctuation mark is a smile.” – Julie Burchill
60. “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
Find comfort with Rest in Peace Quotes to help you grieve and regain hope
61. “Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them.” – Leo Tolstoy
62. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” – Queen Elizabeth II
63. “Simply touching a difficult memory with some slight willingness to heal begins to soften the holding and tension around it.” – Stephen Levine
64. “All things grow with time, except grief.” – Jewish Proverb
65. “Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart” – Jose N. Harris
66. “Be the things you loved most about the people who are gone” – Unknown
67. “Make peace within yourself, it can bring you a deep sense of joy” – Unknown
68. “Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep your heart open through everything, your pain can become your greatest ally in your life’s search for love and wisdom.” – Rumi
69. “Joy comes, grief goes, we know not how.” – James Russell Lowell
70. “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campbell
Which of these rest in peace quotes resonated with you best?
Rest in peace quotes are not always easy to read, but they can give us a little positivity that we need to hear to get us through the day. And when experiencing something like this, all we can do is take it one day at a time.
Learning that someone has passed away is never easy, no matter how prepared we may be for someone to leave this world. And when someone passes away suddenly, we may find ourselves wondering how life can possibly be so cruel.
Some of us may never get over the death of someone we cared about. Hopefully, the rest in peace quotes above can help us remember the beautiful things about that person, and give us hope that their soul is at peace.
Did these rest in peace quotes make you feel better? Do you have any other helpful quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 11, 2022 6:10 AM EST