So many people forget to put themselves first in life, and these spectacular self care quotes will inspire you to always keep self love on the forefront of your mind.
If you neglect yourself, this is a recipe for disaster. Let these powerful self care quotes to serve as your helpful reminder to never put yourself last!
There are many reasons why self care actually helps you become more efficient and make progress faster.
Due to the nature of our busy lives, taking a break to look after yourself might sometimes feel like a luxury.
We often believe that pushing ourselves to the point of exhaustion will lead to a bigger reward. But is that really the case?
Without self care, it will be hard for you to function at your best. To prevent burnout and keep stress from taking over, you need to take the time to look after yourself.
Besides, taking breaks to look after yourself will help you refocus especially when solving complicated problems.
As fuzzy as the phrase may sound, self care is just a few basic habits that are crucial for us to get the best out of our Everyday Power.
For instance, you should always take time to exercise and look after your body, no matter how busy you might be.
Another way to look after yourself is to practice good emotional hygiene by learning to control your feelings.
Additionally, you should always protect your schedule and spend your time and money on what matters.
No matter what stage you are in life, taking care of yourself should be a priority. Here are some inspirational self care quotes to remind of that.
For more inspiration, also check out our collection of quotes by Ram Dass on self-love.
Self care quotes on the importance of taking care of you
1. “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” — Audre Lorde
2. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” — Maya Angelou
3. “Nourishing yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go is attainable, and you are worth the effort. ” – Deborah Day
4. “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance. ” – Oscar Wilde
5. “Learning to love yourself is like learning to walk—essential, life-changing, and the only way to stand tall.”
– Vironika Tugaleva
6. “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.”
– Mandy Hale
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of priority quotes that will help you clarify what’s important to you in your life.
7. “The only person who can pull me down is myself, and I’m not going to let myself pull me down anymore.” – C. Joybell C.
8. “An empty lantern provides no light. Self-care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.” – Unknown
9. “Be you, love you. All ways, always.” ― Alexandra Elle
10. “Do something nice for yourself today. Find some quiet, sit in stillness, breathe. Put your problems on pause. You deserve a break.” ― Akiroq Brost
Quotes about self care to inspire and motivate you
11. “Love yourself enough to set boundaries. Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept.” – Anna Taylor
12. “If you look into your own heart, and you find nothing wrong there, what is there to worry about? What is there to fear. ” – Confucius
13. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others. ” – Christopher Germer
If you’re enjoying this article, be sure to also check out these motivational quotes for weight loss that will inspire you to achieve!
14. “Self-care is how you take your power back.” – Lalah Delia
15. “I am my own experiment. I am my own work of art.” – Madonna
16. “Put yourself at the top of your to-do list every single day and the rest will fall into place.” – Unknown
17. “My mother always says people should be able to take care of themselves, even if they’re rich and important.”
― Frances Hodgson Burnett
18. “Practice self-rescue first before you ‘help’ someone else” ― Maureen Joyce Connolly
19. “Self-care has become a new priority – the revelation that it’s perfectly permissible to listen to your body and do what it needs.” ― Frances Ryan
20. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield
Also, read these Saturday quotes and sayings that will inspire you to take care of yourself.
Self care quotes on why taking care of yourself matters
21. “Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” — Eleanor Brown
22. “The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself. ” – Steve Maraboli
23. “When we give ourselves compassion, we are opening our hearts in a way that can transform our lives.” – Kristin Neff
24. “Self care is not a waste of time. Self care makes your use of time more sustainable.” – Jackie Viramontez
25. “Be kinder to yourself. And then let your kindness flood the world.” ― Pema Chodron
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Pema Chödrön quotes about finding peace in life.
26. “Do something every day that is loving toward your body and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sensations of your body.” – Golda Poretsky
27. “You aren’t doing “nothing” when you choose to put your wellbeing first. In fact, this is the key to having everything.” ― Brittany Burgunder
28. “When you can’t find your purpose in a day, make it to look after yourself.” ― Dodie Clark
29. “Find what makes your heart sing and create your own music.” – Mac Anderson
30. “Self-care is taking all the pressures you are facing right now, and deciding to which you will respond, and how.” ― Imani Shola
Don’t forget to also check out these depression quotes on mental health to help you feel understood.
Self care quotes on why you need to nurture yourself.
31. “There is enough time for self-care. There is not enough time to make up for the life you’ll miss by not filling yourself up.” — Jennifer Williamson
32. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life. ” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
33. “When the body forces you to STOP it’s saying, hey buddy, you’ve gone too far.” ― Jacqueline Escolme
34. “The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.” – Anna Quindlen
35. “You owe yourself the love that you so freely give others.” – Unknown
36. “Taking care of myself doesn’t mean ‘me first.’ It means ‘me, too.” ― L.R. Knost
37. “Your subconscious mind is paying attention to how you treat yourself.” ― Sam Owen
38. “Take the time today to love yourself. You deserve it.” ― Avina Celeste
39. “My brain and my heart are really important to me, I don’t know why I wouldn’t seek help to have those things be as healthy as my teeth. I go to the dentist. So why wouldn’t I go to a shrink?” – Kerry Washington
40. “I always give myself Sundays as a spiritual base of renewal—a day when I do absolutely nothing. I sit in my jammies or take a walk, and I allow myself time to BE—capital B-E—with myself.” – Oprah Winfrey
You might also like our list of inspirational self worth quotes to boost your confidence.
Inspirational quotes about self care
41. “Self-care is never a selfish act—it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” – Parker Palmer
42. “Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” – Edward Stanley
43. “You can’t pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself first.” –Unknown
44. “Gard the doors of your temple, do not let anyone pollute it with there mess.” ― Patricio Telman Chincocolo
45. “For us to feel good emotionally, we have to look after ourselves.” ― Sam Owen
46. “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.” – Brené Brown
47. “The only person you shouldn’t be able to live without is you.” ― Chris McGeown
48. “Lighten up on yourself. No one is perfect. Gently accept your humanness.” – Deborah Day
49. “Caring for your body, mind, and spirit is your greatest and grandest responsibility. It’s about listening to the needs of your soul and then honoring them.” ― Kristi Ling
50. “For me, recovery and self-care are inextricably connected. My recovery from abuse, addiction, and a suicide attempt required dump truck loads of self-care.” ― Steve Austin
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of suicide quotes that can bring you insight and comfort during difficult times.
Self care quotes to make you strong
51. “Maybe if we love ourselves healthy we will all heal?”― Nikki Rowe
52. “The love and attention you always thought you wanted from someone else, is the love and attention you first need to give to yourself.”― Bryant McGillns
53. “Compassion is essential, but it’s not a substitute for self-expression, or self-respect, or self-compassion. Emotional self-care is also essential, but gently soothing our wounds does not replace communicating about them.”― Vironika Tugaleva
54. “No more martyring myself.”― Sharon E. Rainey
55. “Every morning, look in the mirror and affirm positive words into your life.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
56. “You can’t take care of anyone else unless you first take care of yourself.”― Michael Hyatt
57. “Our soul is like a soft and gentle flower, it needs to be nurtured, cared for, tended to, with sufficient sunlight, fresh air and freedom to bloom into its most precious and beautiful form. This, my friend, is self-love.”― Miya Yamanouchi
58. “It takes a rare person to care the same or more about you than themselves. So, until you find that person, please look after yourself.”― Charles F. Glassman
59. “Carve out and claim the time to care for yourself and kindle your own fire.”― Amy Ippoliti
60. “Don’t let hollow heroes distract you from saving yourself.”― Nikki Rowe
61. “Honoring your own boundaries is the clearest message to others to honor them, too.”― Gina Greenlee
62. “Doing something nice for myself is not selfish.”― Christine Morgan
63. “Taking care of yourself is the most powerful way to begin to take care of others.”― Bryant McGill
64. “I love you but I got to love me more.”― Peggi Speers
65. “Remember that this is YOUR LIFE, and nothing is more important than YOU.”― Miya Yamanouchi
Also, check out these wise wellness quotes that can help you achieve a better life.
Self care quotes to elevate your perspective
66. “Doing nothing has become one of the lost luxuries in these hectic times. But doing nothing, even for five minutes, can be rejuvenating. Go for it: You – unplugged.” – Joan Marques
67. “I believe that the greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you.” – Joyce Meyer
68. “Self-care is giving the world the best of you, instead of what’s left of you.” — Katie Reed
69. “The only person that deserves a special place in your life is someone that never made you feel like you were an option in theirs.” ― Shannon L. Alder
70. “To meditate means to go home to yourself. Then you know how to take care of the things that are happening inside you, and you know how to take care of the things that happen around you.” – Thich Nhat Han
71. “The better you feel about yourself, the less you feel the need to show off.”– Robert Hand
72. “When you say ‘yes’ to others make sure you are not saying ‘no’ to yourself.” — Paulo Coelho
73. “What you think of yourself in your mind is nobody’s business. Make it count.” ― Majid Kazmi
74. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” – Anne Lamott
75. “Man will never be stronger nor independent if he lives under perpetual motivation of others.” ― Toba Beta
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check our collection of eyes quotes that will intrigue you to look past what you see.
More inspirational self care quotes
76. “Stepping out of the busyness, stopping our endless pursuit of getting somewhere else, is perhaps the most beautiful offering we can make to our spirit.” – Tara Brach
77. “Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.” – Etty Hillesum
78. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
79. “If you do not respect your own wishes, no one else will. You will simply attract people who disrespect you as much as you do.”– Vironika Tugaleva
80. “Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” — Stephen Covey
If you’re enjoying this article, be sure to also check out our collection of healthy eating quotes celebrating better food choices.
81. “You may be the only person left who believes in you, but it’s enough. It takes just one star to pierce a universe of darkness. Never give up.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
82. “With every act of self-care your authentic self gets stronger, and the critical, fearful mind gets weaker. Every act of self-care is a powerful declaration: I am on my side, I am on my side, each day I am more and more on my own side.” – Susan Weiss Berry
83. “I think everybody’s weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.” – Johnny Depp
84. “When you do something noble and beautiful and nobody noticed, do not be sad. For the sun every morning is a beautiful spectacle and yet most of the audience still sleeps.” – John Lennon
85. “Though we all make mistakes, don’t handicap yourself in difficult tasks; self-sabotage is not a strategy. Sometimes all you need to do is protect yourself from your own self.” ― Efrat Cybulkiewicz
Also check out these quotes about self harm that will help move you to a calm moment.
Self care quotes that will inspire you to make time for yourself
86. “Self-care is a deliberate choice to gift yourself with people, places, things, events, and opportunities that recharge our personal battery and promote whole health — body, mind, and spirit.” — Laurie Buchanan, PhD
87. “If we truly loved ourselves, we’d never harm another. That is a truly revolutionary, celebratory mode of self-care.” ― Sharon Salzberg
88. “Self-care is the number one solution to helping somebody else. If you are being good to yourself and your body and your psyche, that serves other people better, because you will grow strong enough to lift someone else up.” — Mary Lambert
89. “Self-love for me means accepting who I am and dealing with the perceived flaws that I live with.” ― Malebo Sephodi
90. “In my own deepening understanding of myself I find my capacity to serve others is deepened as well. The better I am at self-care the more genuinely nurturing of others I am able to be.” ― Mary Anne Radmacher
91. “The value of self-care and self-love is often underestimated. It starts with you. You can’t give what you don’t have.” ― Izey Victoria Odiase
92. “When you take care of yourself, you’re a better person for others. When you feel good about yourself, you treat others better.” — Solange Knowles
93. “Take time to do what makes your soul happy.” – Unknown
94. “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ― Howard Thurman
95. “A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it. It just blooms” – Unknown
Self care quotes to broaden your thoughts
96. “It is not the load that breaks you down. It’s the way you carry it.” — Lena Horne
97. “For those of you who struggle with guilt regarding self-care, answer this question: What greater gift can you give to those you love than your own wholeness?” ― Shannon Tanner
98. “Any time we listen to true self and give the care it requires, we do it not only for ourselves but for the many others whose lives we touch.” — Parker L. Palmer
99. “Self-care is allowing yourself to appreciate the moment for what it is, instead of wishing it was something else.” ― Sharon Pearson
100. “Harmony begins within. If we are to influence the world around us, even in minor ways, the real work begins inside and emanates outwards.” ― Gudjon Bergmann
101. Only you can allow yourself to explore the person in the mirror. Only you can coax yourself into a daring adventure to find your untapped potential.” ― Vironika Tugaleva
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of explore quotes about the power of travel and adventure.
102. “Choose, every day, to forgive yourself. You are human, flawed, and most of all worthy of love.” — Alison Malee
103. “When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs and habits – anything that kept me small. My judgement called it disloyal. Now I see it as self-loving.” – Kim McMilllen
104. “By taking care of myself I have so much more to offer the world than I do when I am running on empty.” – Ali Washington
105. “Life’s too short to spend it at war with yourself.” – Unknown
Self care quotes to empower you
106. “Be enough for yourself first, the rest of the world can wait.” – Unknown
107. “If you get tired, learn to rest, not to quit.” – Banksy
108. “Self love is asking yourself what you need – everyday – and then making sure you receive it.” – Unknown
109. “It’s okay to take time for yourself. We give so much of ourselves to others, and we need to be fueled both physically and mentally. If we are in balance, it helps us in all our interactions.” – Faith Hill
110. “Every time you make a commitment to your own self-care, self-love, and self-respect and then follow through, you build trust in yourself.” – Miranda J. Barrett
111. “Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give, and nobody will care for you.” – Karl Lagerfeld
112. “Inner peace beings the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.” – Pema Chodron
113. “Self-Care equals success.” – Dixie L. Nichols
114. “When we self-regulate well, we are better able to control the trajectory of our emotional lives and resulting actions based on our values and sense of purpose.” – Amy Leigh Mercree
115. “Take time for self. It is a source of empowerment.” – Dixie L. Nichols
Self care quotes that will change the way you think
116. “When the well’s dry, we know the worth of water.” – Benjamin Franklin
117. “Self-care sometimes is doing the things that will make your next 2 hours difficult, but your next 10 years easier.” – Em.x.thoughts
118. “People who love themselves come across as very loving, generous and kind; they express their self-confidence through humility, forgiveness and inclusiveness.” – Sanaya Roman
119. “I believe that self-care is a daily practice that should involve your interests, needs and preferences. And it should have room to evolve with you over time.” – Portia Jackson-Preston
120. “And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” – John Steinbeck
121. “Learning self-care is like building your own lifeboat, plank by plank. Once you’ve got your boat, you’ll still be rocked by the waves of life, but you’ll have a feeling of safety, and stability that means you can pick other people up on your way.” – Nadia Narain
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of safety quotes about the power of paying attention.
122. “Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.” – Buddha
123. “If we don’t take care of ourselves, if we don’t put on the oxygen mask first, we don’t have the capacity to help those people we care so much about.” – Megan McCormick
124. “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” – Maya Angelou
125. “To me, self-care isn’t really shallow. Showing up for yourself, putting on a little moisturizer, can inspire so many different parts of your life.” – Jonathan Van Ness
Self care quotes that will inspire you to make time for yourself
126. “We need to replace your vicious stress cycle with a vicious cycle of self-care.” – Sara Gottfried
127. “What they call you is one thing. What you answer to is something else.” ― Lucille Clifton
128. “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” – Jim Rohn
129. “If you don’t love yourself, how the hell you gon’ love somebody else?” – Ru Paul
130. “Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer.” – William S Burroughs
131. “Self-care is one of the active ways that I love myself. When you can and as you can, in ways that feel loving, make time and space for yourself.” – Tracee Ellis Ross
132. “The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself.” – Maya Angelou
133. “Your finest work, your best movements, your joy, peace, and healing come when you love yourself.” – Melodie Beattie
134. “Talk to yourself as you would to someone you love.” – Brené Brown
135. “Your brain is like a computer, you have to refresh or it’s going to crash. I don’t [care] how great you are, you have to take a second.” – Missy Elliot
You might also like these love yourself quotes that will increase your self-esteem.
Self care quotes to inspire you everyday
136. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
137. “It really is ok for there to be times when you stop putting everyone else first, and just do what’s best for you.” – Tracey Leech
138. “If you get tired learn to rest, not to quit.” – Banksy
139. “Guard the doors of your temple, do not let anyone pollute it with there mess.”― Patricio Telman Chincocolo
140. “If you’re feeling tired and run down rest, look after yourself, the world can wait.” – Akiroq Brost
141. “Your mind is a powerful thing. When you fill it with positive thoughts your life will start to change.” – Unknown
142. “Allow yourself to enjoy each happy moment in your life.” – Steve Maraboli
143. “Regardless of how anyone else feels about me, I am going to choose to love myself today.” – Unknown
144. “Close your eyes and imagine the best version of you possible. That’s who you really are, let go of any part of you that doesn’t believe it.” – C. Assaad
145. “In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.” – Andrea Dkystra
If you’re enjoying this article, be sure to also check out these spiritual quotes about inner peace and love.
Self care quotes to elevate your mind
146. Give your stress wings, and let it fly away. ” – Terri Guillemets
147. “When admiring other people’s gardens, don’t forget to tend to your own flowers.”― Sanober Khan
148. “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward. If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.” – Roy T. Bennett
149. “Respect, Love, and Value yourself. Always remember to be good to yourself by taking care of yourself. Make yourself a priority and know that it’s okay. Don’t feel guilty for loving yourself, first! You’re just as important as anybody else.”― Stephanie Lahart
150. “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.” – Shannon L. Alder
151. “The most important progress and success can’t be seen. If you can validate yourself internally, then external validation becomes a byproduct.”― Brittany Burgunder
152. “It is so important to take time for yourself and find clarity. The most important relationship is the one you have with yourself.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
153. “Don’t forget to appreciate yourself.”― Debasish Mridha
154. “Don’t take your health for granted. Don’t take your body for granted. Do something today that communicates to your body that you desire to care for it. Tomorrow is not promised.” – Jada Pinkett Smith
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of health quotes expressing the power of making healthy choices.
155. “The Universe will never require you to set yourself on fire to provide heat for others.”― Clyde Lee Dennis
More self care quotes and sayings
156. “You are worth the quiet moment. You are worth the deeper breaths and you are worth the time it takes to slow down, be still, and rest.” – Morgan Harper Nichols
157. “You carry so much love in your heart. Give some to yourself.” – R.Z.
158. “Keep taking time for yourself until you’re you again.” – Lalah Delia
159. “Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting.” – William Shakespeare
160. “It’s so empowering to say ‘this isn’t serving me’ and walk away in peace.” – Unknown
161. “Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.”― Ovid
162. “Take time off. The world will not fall apart without you.” – Malebo Sephodi
163. “Saying no can be the ultimate self-care.”— Claudia Black
164. “It’s not selfish to do what’s best for you.” – Mark Sutton
165. “If you want to help her, you need to help yourself first. No one serves their friends by grinding themselves into dust on the altar of compassion.”
— Seanan McGuire
Have you seen these know your worth quotes to empower you?
Which of these self-care quotes is your favorite?
No matter how busy life gets, we must never forget to take care of ourselves. Without self care, it will be almost impossible for you to live a happy and fulfilling life.
When faced with life’s challenges, taking the time to look after yourself will help you refocus and regain the strength to tackle whatever is in front of you.
Hopefully, these quotes have reminded you why taking care of yourself is not only important but crucial.
Did you enjoy these self care quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
October 28, 2020 6:00 AM EST