This “sleep quotes” collection will help you appreciate good rest and relaxation.
Good sleep is important.
Striving to have a peaceful night, and getting quality sleep and rest is one of the best things you can do for your health and well-being.
When you get enough sleep, you’re less likely to get sick.
Good sleep also helps you stay at a healthy weight and lowers your risk for serious health problems like diabetes and heart disease.
Besides, good sleep is vital for various aspects of brain function.
It can improve your focus, concentration, productivity, and performance.
The bottom line is you cannot achieve optimal health and live a successful life without taking care of your sleep.
Unfortunately, the nature of modern life has interfered with sleeping patterns.
We now sleep less than we did in the past, and the quality of sleep has diminished too.
Just like eating healthy and exercising, a good night’s sleep is incredibly important.
So, to help you honor good rest and relaxation, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous sleep quotes, sleep sayings, and sleep proverbs, collected over the years from a variety of sources.
Don’t forget to also read our selection of good night quotes for the best sleep ever.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Sleep quotes that honor good rest and relaxation
1. ”The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night’s sleep.” – E. Joseph Cossman
You will also enjoy our article on quality quotes.
2. ”No day is so bad it can’t be fixed with a nap.” – Carrie Snow
You will also enjoy our article on rest in peace quotes.
3. ”Sleep is the best meditation.” – Dalai Lama
4. ”It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.” — John Steinbeck
5. ”True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.” — William Penn
6. ”The minute anyone’s getting anxious I say, ‘You must eat and you must sleep.’ They’re the two vital elements for a healthy life.” — Francesca Annis
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of health quotes expressing the power of making healthy choices.
7. ”A day without a nap is like a cupcake without frosting.” – Terri Guillemets
8. ”I’m always on the go. I love doing things until I hit rock bottom. Then I need my 12 hours of sleep, and I’m on the go again.” – Maria Sharapova
9. ”Rest when you’re weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work.” – Ralph Marston
10. ”Nothing makes you feel better than when you get into a hotel bed, and the sheets feel so good. Why shouldn’t you wake up like that every day? Spend money on your mattress and bedding because these things make a difference on your sleep and, ultimately, your happiness.” – Bobby Berk
Check out our collection of sleeping baby quotes if you enjoy this article.
Sleep quotes to appreciate good rest and relaxation
11. ”The nicest thing for me is sleep, then at least I can dream.” – Marilyn Monroe
12. ”Sleep is that golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.” – Thomas Dekker
13. ”Sleep is an investment in the energy you need to be effective tomorrow.” – Tom Roth
14. ”Sleep is the real beauty secret, but I don’t get enough of that.” – Chelsea Leyland
15. ”I love sleep; it’s my favorite.” – Kanye West
16. ”Never hurry. Take plenty of exercise. Always be cheerful. Take all the sleep you need. You may expect to be well.” – James Freeman Clarke
17. ”Happiness consists of getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.” — Robert A. Heinlein
18. ”There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled.” – Edward Lucas
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of alcohol quotes about the impact of drinking.
19. ”Never waste any time you can spend sleeping.” – Frank H. Knight
20. ”Sleep soothes and arrest the fever-pulse of the soul.” – Eliza Cook
Also check out these restless insomnia quotes for when you can’t sleep.
Sleep quotes to inspire a healthy lifestyle
21. ”I think sleep’s really important. I value it as much as waking up and having a full day.” – Jena Malone
22. ”Proper sleep has helped me get to where I am today as an athlete, and it is something that I continue to rely on every day.” – Tom Brady
23. ”I love sleep so much. That’s the one thing I won’t sacrifice. I really cannot.” – Bozoma Saint John
24. ”Sleep has been provided by nature to do the body’s healing work, and it takes seven or eight hours for this process to happen. Commit to getting at least seven to eight hours of good quality sleep every night to keep your body and hormones in balance.” – Suzanne Somers
25. ”Discover the great ideas that lie inside you by discovering the power of sleep.” – Arianna Huffington
26. ”Three meals plus bedtime make 4 sure blessings each day.” – Mason Cooley
27. ”I’ve always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.” – David Benioff
28. ”I love to sleep. Do you? Isn’t it great? It really is the best of both worlds. You get to be alive and unconscious.” – Rita Rudner
29. ”God has made sleep to be a sponge by which to rub out fatigue. A man’s roots are planted in night as in a soil.” – Henry Ward Beecher
30. ”Sleep marks passing time, giving us distance from the things that have hurt us. When a person is wounded they will often fall unconscious. Similarly, someone who hears traumatic news will often swoon or faint. This is the mind’s way of protecting itself from pain.” – Patrick Rothfuss
Sleep quotes on why it’s important for your health and success
31. ”Get enough sleep every night. An exhausted mind is rarely productive.” – Unknown
32. ”Happiness in simplicity can be achieved with a flexible mindset and nine hours sleep each night.” – Dalai Lama
33. ”Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” – Benjamin Franklin
34. ”Remember that in order to be productive you also have to focus on relaxation.” – Bogdan Ivanov
35. ”The man who doesn’t relax and hoot a few hoots voluntarily, now and then, is in great danger of hooting hoots and standing on his head for the edification of the pathologist and trained nurse, a little later on.” – Elbert Hubbard
36. ”Better to get up late and be wide awake than to get up early and be asleep all day.” – Unknown
37. ”Finish each day before you begin the next, and interpose a solid wall of sleep between the two. This you cannot do without temperance.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
38. ”A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.” – Irish Proverb
39. ”And if tonight my soul may find her peace in sleep, and sink in good oblivion, and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower then I have been dipped again in God, and new-created.” – AD.H. Lawrence
40. ”For the body, first—sleep, and enough of it, is the prime necessity. Enough exercise, and good food and enough, are other necessities. But sleep—good sleep, and enough of it—this is a necessity without which you cannot have the exercise of use, nor the food.” — Edward Everett Hale
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of bedroom quotes celebrating where we rest.
Sleep quotes to inspire you
41. ”If you get tired learn to rest, not to quit.” — Banksy
42. ”Sleep might be the most important aspect of building a great business, and having a high-performing body.” — Lewis Howes
43. ”Though sleep, you disconnect from the word so you can reconnect with your soul.” – Jennifer Wiliamson
44. ”Without enough sleep, we all become tall two-year-olds.” – JoJo Jensen
45. ”One who has a good night’s rest awakes to a glorious morning. One who stays up late usually sleeps through it.” – Unknown
46. ”It is better to sleep on things beforehand than lie awake about them afterwards.” – Baltasar Gracian
47. ”There is only one thing people like that is good for them; a good night’s sleep.” – Edgar Watson Howe
48. ”Sleep helps you win at life.” – Amy Poehler
49. ”There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.” ― Homer
50. ”Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” – Thomas Aquinas
Powerful sleep quotes
51. “I think insomnia is a sign that a person is interesting.”― Avery Sawyer
52. “If you’re going to do something tonight that you’ll be sorry for tomorrow morning, sleep late.” – Henny Youngman
53. “Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream, the butcher’s the poet’s equal there.” – Emile M. Cioran
54. “If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep.” – Dale Carnegie
55. “Don’t fight with the pillow, but lay down your head
And kick every worriment out of the bed.” – Edmund Vance Cooke
56. “Even where sleep is concerned, too much is a bad thing.” – Homer
57. “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” – Leonardo da Vinci
58. “Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.” – Mahatma Gandhi
59. “For sleep, one needs endless depths of blackness to sink into; daylight is too shallow, it will not cover one.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
60. “The amount of sleep required by the average person is five minutes more.” – Wilson Mizener
Remember to also read these beautiful moon quotes to illuminate your life.
Sleep quotes for people who love to snooze
61. “Put my head under my pillow, and let the quiet put things where they are supposed to be.” – Stephen Chbosky
62. “Sometimes at night I would sleep open-eyed underneath a sky dripping with stars. I was alive then.” – Albert Camus
63. “Sleep is no longer a healing bath, a recuperation of vital forces, but an oblivion, a nightly brush with annihilation.” – J. M. Coetzee
64. “Sleep’s what we need. It produces an emptiness in us into which sooner or later energies flow.” – John Cage
65. “Time to start getting more sleep. This beautiful physique needs royal treatment.” – Elizabeth Rudnick
66. “I feel like I’m sleeping when I’m awake, and really living when I’m asleep.” – Michael J. White
67. “Sleep is an under-ocean dipped into each night.” – Jim Morrison
68. “Sleep, and your life’s dreams will come true.” – Julie Wright
69. “Life goes until it ends. Even sleep isn’t a real break. It’s more like the blinking of an eye.” – A.D. Aliwat
More sleep quotes and sayings
70. “Your future depends on your dreams, so go to sleep.” – Mesut Barazany
71. “When people tell me ‘You’re going to regret that in the morning,’ I sleep until noon because I’m a problem solver.” — Anonymous
72. When you lie down, you will not be afraid. Your sleep will be sweet.” – Proverbs 3:24
73. “We are such stuff as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep.” — William Shakespeare
74. “A night without dreams is like a cupcake without frosting.” – Anonymous
75. “There is no sunrise so beautiful that it is worth waking me up to see it.” — Mindy Kaling
76. “Start by making sleep one of your top priorities, scheduling your bedtime and wake times.” – Dr. Williams
77. “A good laugh and a long sleep is the best cure for anything.” — Irish proverb
78. “Dear sleep, I’m sorry we broke up this morning. I’ll do anything to get you back!” — Anonymous
79. “Sleep is like the golden chain that binds our health and body together.” — Thomas Dekker
Sleep quotes that are good for your health
80. “It is impossible to heal your thyroid or adrenals without adequate sleep.” -Carrie Vitt
81. “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?” -Ernest Hemingway
82. “Oh sleep! it is a gentle thing,
Beloved from pole to pole.”
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
83. “Sleep – the most beautiful experience in life – except drink.” -W.C. Fields
84. “A healthy lifestyle includes exercise, nutrition, healthy sleep patterns and a healthy group of friends.” -Sophie Gregoire Trudeau
85. “Eat well and sleep well. That will feed your nervous system and your psyche. As you get older, you look how you feel.” -Francesca Annis
86. “In the midst of these hard times it is our good health and good sleep that are enjoyable.” -Knute Nelson
87. “Sleep is all about recovering. So if you’re not sleeping, you’re not recovering. And if you’re going to break your body down a lot, you better find ways to build it back up. And the only way to do that is get a lot of sleep.” -Tom Brady
88. “I think the best way to get a good night sleep is to work hard throughout the day. If you work hard and, of course, work out.” -William H. McRaven
89. “Sleep is essential for the body and mind and restful sleep is one of the foundations of good health. Recharging and rejuvenating body and mind sufficiently every night is important for better quality of life.” -Milind Soman
Sleep Quotes To Help You Re Energize
90. “I slept little, read a lot, and fell in love frequently.” ― Charles Simic
91. “Sleep is still most perfect, in spite of hygienists, when it is shared with a beloved. The warmth, the security and peace of soul, the utter comfort from the touch of the other, knits sleep, so that it takes the body and soul completely in its healing.” ― D.H. Lawrence
92. “Good night, belovedest. Your sleep will be sweet if there are any influences on your own.” ― L.M. Montgomery
93. “When you wake up with a song stuck in your head, it means an angel sang you to sleep.” ― Denise Baer
94. “Those with a moral deficit put on a good show, and sleep like a baby.” ― Paul Newman
96. “When I got home I took some sleeping pills and within what seemed like half an hour of unconsciousness it was Monday morning again.” ― Irvine Welsh
97. “Why won’t they let me be? I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little.” ― George R.R. Martin
98. “As important as it is to have a plan for doing work, it is perhaps more important to have a plan for rest, relaxation, self-care, and sleep.” ― Akiroq Brost
99. “Anything seems possible at night when the rest of the world has gone to sleep.” ― David Almond
Sleep Quotes That Help You Control Your Thoughts
100. “In bed my real love has always been the sleep that rescued me by allowing me to dream.” — Luigi Pirandello
101. “Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking.” — Clifton Fadiman
102. “I put a piece of paper under my pillow, and when I could not sleep I wrote in the dark.” — Henry David Thoreau
103. “Sleep demands of us a guilty immunity.” — Djuna Barnes
104. “Now blessings light on him that first invented this same sleep. It covers a man all over, thoughts and all, like a cloak.” — Miguel de Cervantes
105. “And sleep, that sometime shuts up sorrow’s eye, Steal me awhile from mine own company.” — William Shakespeare
106. “I haven’t been to sleep for over a year. That’s why I go to bed early. One needs more rest if one doesn’t sleep.” — Evelyn Waugh
107. “Sweet sleep fell upon his eyelids, unwakeful, most pleasant, the nearest like death.” — Homer
108. “Sleep the sleep that knows not breaking, morn of toil, nor night of waking.” — Walter Scott
109. “Not being able to sleep is terrible. You have the misery of having partied all night… Without the satisfaction.” — Lynn Johnston
Sleep Quotes on the Importance of Rest
110. “Sleep is the best form of rebooting and recharging the human body and mind.” ― Dr. Seema Gupta
111. “Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.” ― Thomas Dekker
112. “Sleep is not just a time when the body shuts off. The brain has a lot to do during that time.” ― Matthew Walker
113. “Sleep is my lover now, my forgetting, my opiate, my oblivion.” ― Audrey Niffenegger
114. “When I want to go to sleep, I must first get a whole menagerie of voices to shut up. You wouldn’t believe what a racket they make in my room.” ― Karl Kraus
115. “A little work, a little sleep, a little love and it’s all over.” ― Mary Roberts Rinehart
116. “Be sure they sleep not whom God needs.” ― Robert Browning
117. “I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.” ― Rene Descartes
118. “A little insomnia is not without its value in making us appreciate sleep, in throwing a ray of light upon that darkness.” ― Marcel Proust
119. “Sleep, baby, sleep. Thy father’s watching the sheep. Thy mother’s shaking the dreamland tree, and down drops a little dream for thee.” ― Elizabeth Prentiss
Which of these sleep quotes was your favorite?
Getting good sleep has a range of benefits.
Along with nutrition and exercise, good sleep is a big part of living a healthy and successful life.
It is important to get enough quality sleep on a regular basis for the benefit of your heart, weight, mind, and more.
So hopefully, the above quotes will help you have enough rest and relaxation.
Did you enjoy these sleep quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.
Also, if you enjoyed the quotes, be sure to share with your friends and followers.
February 3, 2023 6:00 AM EST