These ‘mind your business’ quotes might not give you the perfect way to tell someone they need to mind their business, but they will tell you why it is important!
Is there a nice way to tell someone else to ‘mind your own business?’
Not really, although some ways are more polite than others!
I remember when I was in elementary school the kids would say, “This is an A B conversation, so C your way out!”
I was a fairly nosy child, so I didn’t tell others to mind their business often.
Some of these mind your business quotes come from the bible, and others come from people like Ann Landers and past presidents.
Two of the nicest ways I have heard mind your business reframed is “I want to try it my way but, if I need help, I know you will be there” and “This is a private matter between so & so and myself.
Would you excuse us, please?”
Again, they are still going to sting, but they sound much nicer than when I turn to my teenage boy and go, “Was I talking to you?”
I probably should work on that, seeing as he is got his nosiness from his mama…
Keep reading through these ‘mind your business quotes’ for why it matters, and some ways to not tell someone else to mind their business!
Don’t forget to also check out these priority quotes that will remind you what’s important.
Mind your business quotes from the bible and spiritual leaders
1. “To mind your own business incorporates the whole duty of man.” ― Brigham Young
2. “Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or fail to do.” ― Gautama Buddha
3. “There will always be somebody more successful, more beautiful, more talented. You have to realize, you’re not running their race. You’re running your race.” ― Joel Osteen
4. “And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one.” ― 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
5. “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.” ― Ephesians 4:29
6. “For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.” ― 2 Thessalonians 3:11-12
7. “Besides that, they learn to be idlers, going about from house to house, and not only idlers but also gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not.” ― 1 Timothy 5:13
8. “So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander.” ― 1 Peter 2:1
9. “You must not pass along false rumors. You must not cooperate with evil people by lying on the witness stand. You must not follow the crowd in doing wrong.” ― Exodus 23:1-2
10. “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” ― Philippians 4:8
11. “Trouble often begins when we involve ourselves in other people’s business.” ― Pastor Steve Smothermon
Mind your own business quotes from proverbs
12. “Keep your nose out of another’s mess.” ― Danish Proverb
13. “Sweep in front of your own door.” ― German Proverb
14. “When everyone minds his own business the work is done.” ― Danish Proverb
15. “Better is a dry morsel with quiet than a house full of feasting with strife.” ― Proverbs 17:1
16. “Interfering in someone else’s argument is as foolish as yanking a dog’s ears.” ― Proverbs 26:17
17. “Where there is no wood, a fire goes out, and where there is no gossip, contention ceases. Like charcoal is to burning coals, and wood to fire, so is a contentious person to kindle strife.” ― Proverbs 26:20-21
18. “It is an honor for a person to cease from strife, but every fool quarrels.” ― Proverbs 20:3
19. “There are always ears on the other side of the wall.” ― Chinese Proverb
Savage mind your business quotes from unknown authors
20. “A hard thing about business is minding your own.” ― Unknown
21. “Successful people never worry about what others are doing.” ― Unknown
22. “There’s no business like staying the hell out of my business, so please stay out.” ― Unknown
23. “The biggest fool is the one who minds the business of others rather than minding his very own.” ― Unknown
24. “Mind your life and forget about the other’s deeds, to each their own, as they all have said.” ― Unknown
25. “My actions should not even concern you one bit for I am my own person, that is the truth.” ― Unknown
26. “Life will surely be less stressful if you just focus on yourself and ways to improve yourself.” ― Unknown
27. “If you can keep yourself to mind your own business, you can do a lot of things, get them done.” ― Unknown
28. “If you do not like what you see then maybe you should just forget about it, how about that?” ― Unknown
Funny minding my own business quotes
29. “A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people’s business.” ― Eric Hoffer
30. “Clean your home first before complaining about others.” ― Debasish Mridha
31. “Make somebody happy today. Mind your own business.” ― Ann Landers
32. “If you mind your own business, you’ll stay busy all the time.” ― Hank Williams Jr.
33. “If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.” ― Lewis Carroll
34. “Most of the trouble in this world has been caused by folks who can’t mind their own business, because they have no business of their own to mind, any more than a smallpox virus has.” ― William S. Burroughs
35. “Just mind your own business. If you mind your business, then you won’t be mindin’ mine.” ― Hank Williams Jr.
36. “The idea of strictly minding our own business is moldy rubbish. Who could be so selfish?” ― Myrtle Barker
37. “My life, my choices, my mistakes, my lessons―NOT YOUR BUSINESS.” ― Wiz Khalifa
38. “While you are too busy minding other people’s business, who is busy minding yours”? ― Edmond Mbiaka
39. “Mind your own business; The best statement that any wise person can see as encouragement and best advice ever.” ― Unarine Ramaru
40. “Keep your attention focused entirely on what is truly your own concern, and be clear that what belongs to others is their business and none of yours.” ― Epictetus
Mind your own business quotes on life lessons
41. “What people in the world think of you is really none of your business.” ― Martha Graham
42. “Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
43. “Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
44. “Mind your own business. But love your neighbor as yourself.” ― David C. Hill
45. “Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice.” ― Henry Ford
46. “Justice means minding one’s own business and not meddling with other men’s concerns.” ― Plato
47. “How do I have productive days with minimum drama? Simple; I mind my own business.” ― Steve Maraboli
48. “Bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.” ― Abraham Lincoln
49. “Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration has been minding my own business.” ― Calvin Coolidge
50. “When you mind your own business, you will never get caught up in all the nonsense.” ― Gee Linder
Mind your own business quotes to think about
51. “Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day, and you are a success.” — William J. H. Boetcker
52. “There is nothing more provocative than minding your own business.” — William S. Burroughs
53. “There are three proven rules for good teeth: brush after every meal; see your dentist twice a year; and mind your own business.” — Henry Boyd
54. “Let every man mind his own business.” — Miguel de Unamino
55. “To be busy minding other people’s business, is to leave one’s personal business unattended to.” — Edmond Mbiaka
56. “Cultivate your own garden and let go of your tendency to examine and judge how others cultivate theirs. Catch yourself in moments of gossip about how others ought to be living and rid yourself of thoughts about how they should be doing it this way, or how they have no right to live and think as they do. Stay busy and involved in your own projects and pursuits.” — Wayne Dyer
57. “If you stop focusing on other people’s life you’ll have more time to fix your own life.” — Sonya Parker
58. “Just a reminder, what other people think of you is none of your business.” — Ze Frank
59. “The people seemed nearly ostentatious about minding their own business.” — Robert Jordan
60. “I don’t know how people get so anti-something. Just mind your own business, take care of your own affairs, and don’t worry about other people so much.” — Betty White
Mind your own business quotes to learn and live by
61. The biggest fool is the one who minds the business of others rather than minding his very own. — Amit Abraham
62. “Mind your own business. What your neighbor does (within the law) is none of your concern. Accept that behavior is not evil simply because it is different.” — Jonathan Lockwood Huie
64. “I never hurt nobody but myself and that’s nobody’s business but my own.” — Billie Holiday
65. “No one wants advice – only corroboration.” — John Steinbeck
66. “Let people do what they need to do to make them happy. Mind your own business, and do what you need to do to make you happy.” — Leon Brown
67. “There are just two rules of governance in a free society: Mind your own business. Keep your hands to yourself.” — P. J. O’Rourke
68. “Never explain – your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.” — Elbert Hubbard
69. “What you think of me is none of my business.” — Larry Winget
70. “Make the most of your life instead of comparing it to everyone else’s.” — LeCrae
Mind Your Business Quotes To Relieve Oneself
71. “There’s a lot of not caring that goes under the name of minding your own business.” — Robert Breault
72. “People get good gigs because they stand up….You don’t get picked. Reject the tyranny of picked. Pick yourself.” — Seth Godin
73. “The world can forgive practically anything except people who mind their own business.” — Margaret Mitchell
74. “This marriage is no one’s business but our own.” — Bobby Darin
75. “I have never had anything done. I’ve been asked if I had breast implants. Whether I did or not, it’s nobody’s business but my own.” — Shannen Doherty
76. “Fitz: How bad is it? Nighteyes: Mind your own business. Fitz: You ARE my business. Nighteyes: Sharing pain doesn’t loosen it. Fitz: I’m not sure about THAT.” — Robin Hobb
77. “Relief has its place. But what the people need is not relief, but release – release of their own potential for development.” — Y. C. James Yen
78. “To offer a man unsolicited advice is to presume that he doesn’t know what to do or that he can’t do it on his own.” — John Gray
79. “Those that want friends to open themselves unto are cannibals of their own hearts.” — Francis Bacon
80. “On the other hand, I mean, that is what writers have always been supposed to do, was to rely on their own devices and to – I mean, writing is a lonely business.” — Donna Tartt
What did you learn from these ‘mind your own business’ quotes
So, is telling someone to mind their business rude, no matter how you tell them?
Clearly, telling someone to mind their business is excluding them from the conversation, which will likely upset them.
It also signifies that you are not interested in hearing their advice on the matter.
If you are trying to be as polite as possible, then try and take their feelings into account when asking them to mind their own business.
While it might be rude to say, there are actual benefits for you to mind your own business.
There is a saying, “Not my circus, not my monkeys,” that does keep us grounded and less stressed because no matter how much you might want to help someone, at the end of the day, there is only so much you can say and do.
People are going to manage their business however they see fit.
Gossipping, another byproduct of being nosy, is also not a great way to spend your time.
Have you had someone rudely tell you to mind your business, or you told someone this and it went badly?
Share your ‘mind your business’ quotes and stories with us in the comment section below.
July 28, 2022 5:00 AM EST