These Sling Blade quotes come from several of the characters in the film, including Karl Childers, Doyle Hargraves, and Charles Bushman.
Sling Blade is an American drama that premiered in 1996.
The film starred Billy Bob Thornton, who also wrote and directed the movie.
Many people wonder if the movie Sling Blade is based on a true story.
The answer is yes and no.
The film is not autobiographical, but in an interview with Erik Bauer, Thornton explains, “A lot of the other stories in the movie, the stuff that takes place after the mental institution, are true.
Like the story Karl tells the kid about the little baby — that really happened where I grew up.
All those characters are based on people I knew.
Each character is a composite of a lot of people I’ve known.”
The movie was set in Arkansas and filmed in Benton, Arkansas.
It chronicles the life of a man named Karl Childers.
Karl has autism and has been released from a psychiatric hospital, where he has lived for years.
When he was 12 years old, he killed his mother and her lover.
He believed she was being raped and killed by her “attacker.”
When he realized she was committing adultery, he killed her as well.
So what happens after his release?
Keep reading these Sling Blade quotes to find out!
Don’t forget to also check out these Arthur Morgan quotes from Red Dead Redemption 2’s notorious outlaw.
Sling Blade quotes you want to reminisce on
1. “What y’all doin’ with that lawnmower blade anyway?” ― Doyle Hargraves
2. “Blisters sure can hurt.”– Karl Childers
3. “Coffee makes me nervous when I drink it.”– Karl Childers
4. “Everything’s botherin’ me. I’m hurtin’ Linda. I love you.” ― Doyle Hargraves
5. “I ain’t saying it’s right, I’m just telling the damn truth. He’ll make me sick. I know it.” ― Doyle Hargraves
6. “He lives inside of his own heart. That’s an awful big place to live in.” ― Karl Childers
7. “A shovel just makes too goddamned much racket.” ― Charles Bushman
8. “You always seem to be deep in thought. Tell me, what are you thinking right now?” – Vaughan Cunningham
9. “You’re not cripple, get in there and make it yourself.” ― Linda Wheatley
10. “Ever think of killing yourself on purpose like my daddy done?” ― Frank Wheatley
11. “You done fixed it? Well I’ll be damned. Scooter told me it couldn’t be fixed. ‘Course Scooter is about as shiftless as one poor son of a b*tch can be. You done fixed it. I’ll just be damned.” ― Bill Cox
12. “That don’t seem right. Seems like you would have kept him and taken care of him if he was your brother.” ― Frank Wheatley
13. “The dots are where I say they are. Melody and tune, that’s your trade, Terence. You’re a tunesmith.” – Morris
14. “Hey Vaughan, I heard you been putting it on ol’ Albert Sellers who works over at the funeral home.” – Doyle Hargraves
15. “Frankie, I wasn’t talking to you, now was I? I was talking to your Mama. It’s her decision, not yours. If I let it go on, it’s because she said so, not you.” – Doyle Hargraves
16. “I reckon I’m gonna have to get used to looking at pretty people. Reckon I’m gonna have to get used to them looking at me.” – Karl Childers
Angry and passionate Sling Blade quotes from Doyle Hargraves
17. “You can kiss my ass. And if you ever hit me again, you little bastard… I’ll make you sorry your daddy ever squirted your ass out. You hear me?” ― Doyle Hargraves
18. “We don’t got no goddamn band! We don’t need to fucking practice Randy! We don’t need a shit-ass manager neither! You motherfuckers! Y’all is a bunch of losers! I’m the only one sane son of a bitch here! Just get the fuck out of my house now!” ― Doyle Hargraves
19. “I’ll whip the dogshit out of you Vaughan. I will fucking kill you if you talk to me again! Now all of ya, get the fuck out now before I get too mad to turn back!” ― Doyle Hargraves
20. “I hate you, you little prick!” ― Doyle Hargraves
21. “I don’t like homosexuals and she goes out and buddies up with one so I gotta deal with that. I don’t like little wimpy-ass kids or mental retards and she got one of each livin’ with her.” ― Doyle Hargraves
22. “See, you don’t want to question the genius, Vaughan. Morris here is a modern-day poet, kinda like in olden times.” ― Doyle Hargraves
23. “What am I supposed to do about supper while you’re out runnin’ around with that fag?” ― Doyle Hargraves
24. “Linda, go get my guitar. It’s out there with that looney toon.” ― Doyle Hargraves
25. “Your buddy Karl here is going. We can’t be no normal family with him living in the garage and comin’ in the damn bedroom at 4:00 in the morning, carryin’ hammers and shit.” ― Doyle Hargraves
Which of these Sling Blade quotes is your favorite?
When Karl is released, he gets a job at a repair shop and strikes up a friendship with Frank and his mom, Linda.
Linda is in an abusive relationship with Doyle, and Karl eventually realizes that Frank will either kill Doyle someday and end up just like the man he despises, or Doyle will end up killing Frank and possibly Linda.
If you want to watch this movie, you might want to stop reading here, as this is your official spoiler alert!
In order to stop what he sees as the inevitable outcome of Linda and Doyle’s relationship, Karl convinces Linda to stay at someone else’s house for the night.
He goes to Linda’s house with a weapon he has made from a lawnmower blade, where he finds Doyle, drunk, inside.
He kills him, then calls the police to turn himself in.
He goes back to the state hospital, only this time not as passive as before.
He silences a sexual predator who had forced him to listen to stories about his crimes.
The movie earned Billy Bob Thornton critical acclaim, with the movie winning the Academy Award for Best Writing and Adapted Screenplay.
Thornton was nominated for Best Actor.
If you haven’t seen this movie, and you like dark dramas, go ahead and watch this one!
If you are already a fan, share some of your favorite Sling Blade quotes and lines in the comment section below.
September 27, 2022 5:00 AM EST