Get inspired with our St. Clare of Assisi quotes.
St. Clare of Assisi was a powerful and devoted woman who led a pious life.
Who was St. Clare of Assisi?
St. Clare of Assisi was a Catholic saint from Italy who followed Francis of Assisi.
She founded the Order of Poor Ladies based on the teachings she learned from Francis.
In the Catholic tradition, St. Clare of Assisi is the Patron Saint of:
- Eye disease
Did St. Clare of Assisi complete a miracle?
If you are familiar with Catholic tradition, one of the requirements in order to reach the level of sainthood is to manifest a miracle.
When she was an older woman, she fell sick.
However, when Frederick II sent his army to attack Assisi in 1224, Clare found the strength to face the army outside.
She met the army with the Blessed Sacrament in her hands and placed it on a wall where the invaders could see it.
She prayed and begged her God to protect Assisi and the sisters.
The story says she prayed the following: “O Lord, protect these Sisters whom I cannot protect now.”
The voice that answered her responded with, “I will keep them always in my care.”
The invaders seemed to experience a fright shortly after they fled the city and did not attack.
Her actions saving Assisi and her lifetime commitment to serving others helped her reach sainthood.
St. Clare walked the walk
Some spiritual leaders talk the talk but only sometimes walk the walk.
Many critics suggest praising or worshiping an outside deity when life is going well is easy.
Do people keep the same level of praise when times are difficult?
St. Clare is remembered for her positive attitude despite challenging life conditions.
When she got older, she suffered from poor health.
Those who knew her say she never expressed any pain despite excruciating symptoms.
Serving her God brought so much joy that she was able to bear high levels of pain.
When asked how she managed, she shared the following:
“They say that we are too poor, but can a heart which possesses the infinite God be truly called poor?”
Check out our St. Clare of Assisi quotes to learn more about this remarkable woman.
Short St. Clare of Assisi quotes about love
We begin our spiritual journey with these quotes about love.
1. “Love God, serve God; everything is in that.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
2. “Love Him totally, who gave Himself totally for your love.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
3. “Totally love Him who gave Himself totally out of love for you.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
4. “Let the love you have in your hearts be shown outwardly in your deeds.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
5. “May the love you have in your hearts be shown outwardly in your deeds.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
The best Saint Claire of Assisi quotes about God
Here, St. Claire expresses her love for the Creator.
6. “Let us pray to God for one another.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
7. “God will be your helper and best consoler.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
8. “Blessed be you, my God, for having created me.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
9. “Love that does not know of suffering is not worthy of the name.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
10. “We become what we love, and who we love shapes what we become.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
The top Saint Claire of Assisi quotes for the faithful
Check out these insightful quotes from St. Claire
11. “Our labor here is brief, but the reward is eternal.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
12. “We are to become vessels of God’s compassionate love for others.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
13. “Do not be disturbed by the clamor of the world, which passes like a shadow.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
14. “What you hold may you always hold. What you do, may you always do and never abandon.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
15. “Therefore, beloved sisters, we must consider the immense gifts that God has bestowed on us.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
Famous Saint Clare of Assisi quotes about walking a righteous path
Check out these interesting quotes concerning the analogy of life’s wide and narrow road.
16. “Gaze upon the mirror each day.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
17. “Never forget that the way which leads to heaven is narrow.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
18. “The gate leading to life is narrow and low; that there are but few who find it and enter by it.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
19. “If there be some who go in and tread the narrow path for some time, there are but very few who persevere therein.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
20. “Therefore, let us be very careful that, if we have set out on the path of the Lord, we do not at any time turn away from it through our own fault and ignorance.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
Saint Clare of Assisi quotes and sayings about Jesus
We close our list with these quotes about Jesus Christ.
21. “Don’t be afraid. Trust in Jesus.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
22. “Happy the soul to whom it is given to attain this life with Christ.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
23. “O Queen and Spouse of Jesus Christ, continually study your face within it.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
24. “For he is the brightness of eternal glory, the splendor of eternal light, the mirror without spot.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
25. “The glorious vision of whom will be the happiness of all the citizens of the heavenly Jerusalem.” — Saint Clare of Assisi
Remember to walk with joy
Saints like Clare would remind you that happiness is a state of mind.
She passionately shared, “May you go forward securely, joyfully, and swiftly on the path of prudent happiness.”
Which St. Clare of Assisi quote brought you joy?
Let us know in the comments, and share your favorites with your friends and family.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Life advice can lead you down new and better paths, help you spot and avoid pitfalls, and offer new perspectives.
Wisdom, happiness, enlightenment. You need to read these wise sayings ASAP!
Inspirational biographies, however, provide insight into the life struggles of the rich and successful.
There are many ways to nourish your soul, from breathing and spending time with nature to volunteering; here are ten ways to start today.
Check out these related quote articles:
He was known for his love of animals and nature as you’ll see in these St. Francis of Assisi quotes. Read them for a dose of inspiration.
These St. Francis de Sales quotes will inspire you to deepen your faith while taking a gentle approach to life.
These Saint Augustine quotes will inspire you to think about life, love, and suffering in a new light.
These Thomas Aquinas quotes show why he is often referred to as the greatest Christian philosopher.