These positive therapy quotes will motivate you on a journey of emotional healing and growth.
Therapy is a wonderful tool that can help you develop future goals, heal from past trauma, and reach your full potential. There are some negative stigmas surrounding therapy, but the truth is that working with a therapist can greatly improve your mental health.
These quotes will open your mind up to the opportunities therapy can provide you. Everyone can benefit from therapy, regardless of your current state in life.
You do not need to be in a crisis in order to professionally address your mental health. Routinely checking in with a therapist or counselor is the best way to maintain a healthy mind.
Everyone struggles to cope with challenging thoughts and feelings sometimes. Genuine healing is possible if you believe in yourself and truly want to change. Read these therapy quotes for motivation to begin your journey of development and growth.
Don’t forget to also check out these mental health quotes for happiness and success.
Inspirational therapy quotes for your mental health
1. “I don’t know how people can live without a therapist.” – Neve Campbell
2. “Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it does pay for therapy.” – Travis Kalanick
3. “I didn’t learn about depression or anxiety at school. So when I had to go to my parents to say ‘I need help, I need to go to therapy,’ I felt like this weird, messed up kid. And I wasn’t, but I felt that way.” – Lili Reinhart
4. “It’s incredibly liberating to spend an hour talking to someone and not caring about what you sound like. It’s about understanding myself. Sometimes I’ll speak to my therapist for an hour a day. It’s become part of my routine.” – Shakira
5. “The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love.” – Hubert H. Humphrey
6. “It does not mean you’re broken to have depression and anxiety. I would encourage you to speak out. Don’t hold it inside. Talk to friends. Talk to parents. If it’s available, go to a therapist.” – Dan Reynolds
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of powerful depression quotes that will provide perspective.
7. “Words of comfort, skillfully administered, are the oldest therapy known to man.” – Louis Nizer
8. “Sometimes it takes dealing with a disability – the trauma, the relearning, the months of rehabilitation therapy – to uncover our true abilities and how we can put them to work for us in ways we may have never imagined.” – Tammy Duckworth
9. “Music is therapy for me. It’s my outlet for every negative thing I’ve ever been through. It lets me turn something bad into something beautiful.” – Amy Lee
10. “Using no control and using humor will build a relationship and make a dent to where the client puts the counselor in their quality world and then begins to relate and seek out the counselor. Effective therapy begins with the acceptance of the therapist into the client’s quality world.” – William Glasser
Therapy quotes to inspire healing and growth
11. “The wilderness is healing, a therapy for the soul.” – Nicholas Kristof
12. “Food is a lot of people’s therapy – when we say comfort food, we really mean that. It’s releasing dopamine and serotonin in your brain that makes you feel good.” – Brett Hoebel
13. “Just about every therapist or counselor or social worker is practiced in dealing with people going through failing relationships, ending them, and confronting issues of custody and support.” – Laura Wasser
14. “To be tested is good. The challenged life may be the best therapist.” – Gail Sheehy
15. “Our family makes us who we are, defines us totally. When you go to a therapist or have analysis, whatever reason you go in for, they will always bring you back to your family. We’re strong or weak according to what family we have. You might have left them long ago, might not even talk to them, but something lingers; we have no choice.” – Sandrine Bonnaire
16. “Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose or paint can manage to escape the madness, melancholia, the panic and fear which is inherent in a human situation.” – Graham Greene
17. “Smile, it’s free therapy.” – Douglas Horton
18. “The key to nature’s therapy is feeling like a tiny part of it, not a master over it. There’s amazing pride in seeing a bee land on a flower you planted – but that’s not your act of creation, it’s your act of joining in.” – Victoria Coren Mitchell
19. “Music is therapy. Music moves people. It connects people in ways that no other medium can. It pulls heartstrings. It acts as medicine.” – Macklemore
20. “I’m very physical. I love to work out; I’m very athletic. It’s a great therapy, not only for my body but for my mind.” – Edgar Ramirez
Therapy quotes to inspire and teach
21. “Cooking and baking is both physical and mental therapy.” – Mary Berry
22. “My therapist says I still haven’t got in touch with my anger. Maybe one day I’m going to explode. But I’m still really happy. I know it looks like a strange and painful upbringing – all those experiences led me to the paths that I’m on now.” – Drew Barrymore
23. “Psychotherapy works, and some types of therapy have been shown to be much more effective than antidepressants over the long run.” – Irving Kirsch
24. “I do it as a therapy. I do it as something to keep me alive. We all need a little discipline. Exercise is my discipline.” – Jack LaLanne
25. “Cleaning is therapy for me. I’m not ashamed of holding the duster or broom.” – Amisha Patel
26. “I met with my spiritual teacher and went to a therapist. I realized that if I came from a positive place, not only will everyone feel better and I will feel happier, but the company will work better.” – Adam Neumann
27. “I have always been scared of confrontation. My therapist says it stems from my fear of abandonment.” – Nikki Glaser
28. “I’m realizing that my childhood is not my daughter’s, that I can’t heal myself by any actions I take with her – and that it’s definitely time for me to go back to my own childhood… with my therapist.” – Eva Amurri
29. “I use music as therapy. Whenever I’m feeling angry or needing some ‘me’ time, which is quite regularly, I’ll go and bang a piano or flesh out something on a guitar.” – Arthur Darvill
30. “Individual psychotherapy – that is, engaging a distressed fellow human in a disciplined conversation and human relationship – requires that the therapist have the proper temperament and philosophy of life for such work. By that I mean that the therapist must be patient, modest, and a perceptive listener, rather than a talker and advice-giver.” – Thomas Szasz
Therapy quotes for your journey of development and growth
31. “The one thing I really learned, and learned well, in group therapy was that you don’t die if someone doesn’t like you.” – Rita Moreno
32. “I would say that I began with a very edgy, very driven personality and after a sufficient amount of therapy over many, many years, I managed to become rather relaxed and happy.” – John Cleese
33. “My feeling on therapy is it’s a luxury, and if you’re fortunate enough to get some smart people to talk to about life, then that’s fortunate and you should go for it.” – Matthew Perry
34. “I was almost teaching myself through writing without even realizing it. It’s like therapy. You can hear my progression as a person and how much happier I became, which is really cool for me to hear because I’m proud of myself.” – Bea Miller
35. “When I was in drama school, I really got into a dark place. I went to a therapist – it was really helpful to have that dialogue with someone. So I understand anxiety.” – Finn Jones
36. “In therapy, I have learned the importance of keeping spiritual life and professional life balanced. I need to regain my balance.” – Tiger Woods
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Tiger Woods quotes for a successful future.
37. “There’s nothing wrong or weak about seeking a therapist. I have a therapist.” – Dan Reynolds
38. “I should have a therapist. I have plenty to therapise about.” – Norah Jones
39. “We may define therapy as a search for value.” – Abraham Maslow
40. “Cognitive therapy is a fast-acting technology of mood modification that you can learn to apply on your own. It can help you eliminate the symptoms and experience personal growth so you can minimize future upsets and cope with depression more effectively in the future.” – David D. Burns
Therapy quotes to brighten your day
41. “Acting’s not therapy, but it can be therapeutic.” – Josh Peck
42. “I think that every therapist that I know, including my dad and my sister, have their own issues. But that empathy is what makes them good at their job.” – Laura Benanti
43. “I’m a therapist and that fascinates people because they think I carry secrets.” – Susie Orbach
44. “I’m an incredibly emotional person, but I always feel bad about that. The work is therapy… I need to emote wildly while I write. I weep. I’ll laugh, get excited, and get up and pace. I try to take the emotional journey with the characters.” – Matthew Quick
45. “To go into therapy is an adventure, not really to iron anything out.” – Jeff Bridges
46. “I believe that the therapist’s function should be to help people become free to be aware of and to experience their possibilities.” – Rollo May
47. “Performing is my therapy, to become different people onstage.” – Britney Spears
48. “I’ve spent years in therapy excavating my endless, often fruitless drive to overachieve. I have learned that being successful hasn’t made me happy. It’s just made me successful. I even call myself a recovering overachiever.” – Rachel Simmons
49. “I was in therapy as a child and definitely think that therapy is a very useful tool.” – Dale Earnhardt Jr.
50. “I believe that a different therapy must be constructed for each patient because each has a unique story.” – Irvin D. Yalom
More therapy quotes and sayings
51. “Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us.” ― David Richo
52. “Therapy was the biggest romance of my life.” – Dar Williams
53. “The best therapy is actually the more aggressive kind when they break you open; they unleash you.” – Cara Delevingne
54. “If you break your knee, you have therapy on your knee, and it’s the same for your heart.” – Toni Braxton
55. “Acting is therapy. It keeps you in contact with your feelings.” – Diego Luna
56. “My therapy has come from paying attention to my life.” – Oprah Winfrey
57. “Therapy is not to ‘talk about’ things, but to change the person’s life, and to relieve suffering, such as depression, anxiety, or relationship problems.” – David D. Burns
58. “Working out makes me feel strong and energized every time. It’s my therapy for my mind and my body.” – Stacy Keibler
59. “Therapy is like a toothbrush. You can’t really put it to use for anybody but yourself.” ― Linda Holmes
60. “Rest is not the answer, Activity and therapy help healing most.” ― Joerg Teichmann
What are your favorite healing therapy quotes about psychology?
It can feel scary to go outside of your comfort zone and start therapy, but the benefits are worth it. These therapy quotes will help you realize that everyone should regularly check in with a therapist to manage their mental health.
Have you experienced traumatic or challenging events in your life? Working with a mental health professional in therapy can help you heal from the moments of your past that continue to hold you back.
Even if you feel like your life has been easy and free of trauma, you can still benefit from working with a counselor. Therapy can help you identify and change unhelpful patterns in your thoughts and behaviors.
This collection of quotes highlights the importance of regulating your emotions and setting goals for yourself.
What are your favorite therapy quotes and sayings about mental health and various types of therapy? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 4, 2021 6:00 AM EST